Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

Expect more crowds on the (1)(2)(5)(A)(B)(D) and Bronx Crosstown buses:

Service Change  Posted: 08/28/2018  3:31PM 

There is no (4) train service between Woodlawn and 149 St-Grand Concourse because of switch problems at Burnside Av. Maintainers are on scene working to restore regular service. At this time, see a station agent to receive a courtesy pass for continuing train or bus service.

Station-Specific Alternatives:
.    For service to/from Woodlawn, consider transferring between Bx16 or Bx34 buses and (D) line service at Norwood 205 St. Here are directions: http://bit.ly/2LUm92Y
.    For service to/from Mosholu Pkwy, consider transferring between the Bx1 or Bx2 bus and (B) or (D) service at Bedford Park Blvd. Here are directions: http://bit.ly/2vhWqad
.    For service to/from Bedford Park Blvd, consider taking (B) or (D) service at Bedford Park Blvd and Grand Concourse. Here are directions: http://bit.ly/2mUCUN7
.    For service to/from Kingsbridge Rd, consider transferring between nearby Bx9, Bx22, Bx28, or Bx38 buses and (B) or (D) service at Kingsbridge Rd and Grand Concourse. Here are directions: http://bit.ly/2vkksBs 
.    For service to/from Fordham Rd, consider taking nearby (B) or (D) service at Fordham Rd and Grand Concourse. Here are directions: http://bit.ly/2LFQ3Zp
.    For service to/from Burnside Av, consider transferring between the nearby Bx40 or Bx42 and (B) or (D) service at Tremont Av. Here are directions: http://bit.ly/2NYmhMa
.    For service to/from 176 St, consider transferring between the nearby Bx32 and (B) or (D) service at 174-175 Sts. Here are directions: http://bit.ly/2LGXHmp
.    For service to/from 170 St, consider transferring between the nearby Bx11 or Bx18 buses and (B) or (D) service at 170 St and Grand Concourse. Here are directions: http://bit.ly/2Aq9YGf
.    For service to/from 167 St, consider transferring between the nearby Bx35 bus and (B) or (D) service at 167 St and Grand Concourse. Here are directions: http://bit.ly/2KbYNAW

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I could've predicted all of this... :lol: 

Too hot? Subway meltdown.  Too cold? Subway meltdown.  Rain? Subway meltdown. Snow? Subway meltdown... 

Maybe the conclusion, then, is that it doesn’t have much to do with weather :P 

Service Change  Posted: 08/28/2018  7:02PM 

Some southbound (A) trains are running express from Broadway Junction to Euclid Av because of signal problems at Grant Av.

Expect delays in (A) and (C) train service.  

Sure hope this one was a typo, otherwise it would be announcing normal service (which, granted, is a change)....

10 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Service Change  Posted: 08/28/2018  7:02PM 

Some southbound (A) trains are running express from Broadway Junction to Euclid Av because of signal problems at Grant Av.

Expect delays in (A) and (C) train service.  

Sure hope this one was a typo, otherwise it would be announcing normal service (which, granted, is a change)....

Was about to post this an ask what was up with that. Maybe they mean service runs local.

Service Change

Q trains are stopping along the B line between DeKalb Av and W 4 St-Washington Sq and via the Fline between W 4 St-Washington Sq and Lexington Av-63 St in both directions because of a ConEd power reduction.

There are delays in N, Q, R, and W service.

Service Change

Some southbound D trains are being rerouted on the A and F lines south of 59 St-Columbus Circle.

There is no M train service north of Delancey St-Essex St. Please take an E, F or R train instead.

These service changes are because of several earlier incidents on the 6 Av corridor between 47-50 Sts-Rockefeller Ctr and W 4 St-Washington Sq:

. The ConEd power reduction
. Two customers in need of medical attention
. A signal problem at W 4 St-Washington Sq

Service Change  Posted: 08/31/2018 12:27AM 

Some northbound (R) trains end at 36 St (Brooklyn) because of track maintenance between Whitehall St-South Ferry and DeKalb Av.

Expect delays in (D)(N)(R) train service in both directions.  

Service Change  Posted: 08/31/2018  1:29AM 

There is no (J) train service in both directions between Chambers St and Broad St because of a person struck by a train at Fulton St.

As an alternative, passengers can take (4)(6) train service stopping at nearby (J) train stations. 

On 8/28/2018 at 2:19 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

If I was a betting man, I'd say you could be far more profitable putting down cash on how often the subways won't run versus betting on which NFL teams will win on Sunday.  lol

Unless the subway's dysfunctionality carries over to the betting (somehow) 🤔 

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

There's a <7> with mechanical problems at 74th Street. My <7> is running express on the local track, and we might be running local past Woodside. 

Lol I wonder if it has got to do with braking so hard approaching that timer. Is there a real use for that timer or nah?

Service Change  Posted: 09/02/2018 10:45AM 

There is no (D) train service between 145 St and Tremont Av in both directions because of signal problems at 155 St.

As an alternative, you can take the Bx1/Bx2 buses or the (4) train for service between Tremont Av and 161 St-Yankee Stadium.

From 145 St, the Bx19 bus connects to 149 St-Grand Concourse for (4) train service.

On 8/31/2018 at 1:39 AM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Service Change  Posted: 08/31/2018 12:27AM 

Some northbound (R) trains end at 36 St (Brooklyn) because of track maintenance between Whitehall St-South Ferry and DeKalb Av.

Expect delays in (D)(N)(R) train service in both directions.  

Service Change  Posted: 08/31/2018  1:29AM 

There is no (J) train service in both directions between Chambers St and Broad St because of a person struck by a train at Fulton St.

As an alternative, passengers can take (4)(6) train service stopping at nearby (J) train stations. 

While in this case, you could not divert trains to the Nassau line, this is why the stations on the Nassau Line (at least Broad, Fulton and Chambers) need to be lengthened to 600' first as part of a much longer-term project to lengthen ALL Eastern Division stations to 600 feet.  With such, you could at least have (R) trains run via the (J) to Chambers in an emergency and connect with other lines.  

15 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

While in this case, you could not divert trains to the Nassau line, this is why the stations on the Nassau Line (at least Broad, Fulton and Chambers) need to be lengthened to 600' first as part of a much longer-term project to lengthen ALL Eastern Division stations to 600 feet.  With such, you could at least have (R) trains run via the (J) to Chambers in an emergency and connect with other lines.  

Are the old tracks north of Chambers that used to be relay tracks still available? If they are unavailable for relay use what is your next option?  Just curious.  Carry on. 

9 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Are the old tracks north of Chambers that used to be relay tracks still available? If they are unavailable for relay use what is your next option?  Just curious.  Carry on. 

Hold the trains at Chambers Street while the tracks are relaid in the tunnels. Then when the tracks are operations, relay the trains.

/s

9 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Right now, this is not an option anyway for what I was talking about.  This would be part of a much longer term plan to lengthen ALL of the Eastern Division stations to 600 feet that would I assume include rebuilding any relay tracks north of Chambers where necessary.  

10 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Last I heard, their 50 years of not being maintained had caught up with them and they were placed OOS for track defects. I’m sure they’re reparable, but I question the advisability of this whole plan. If the platforms are lengthened ans a situation arises in which it is absolutely imperative that (R) trains run up Nassau, they should be turned at Essex middle, not at Chambers. Not only does this avoid the ridiculous crossover move at Chambers, but it also gives displaced riders access to the (plentiful) transfers found at Canal and Essex. Just something to think about... 

10 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Last I heard, their 50 years of not being maintained had caught up with them and they were placed OOS for track defects. I’m sure they’re reparable, but I question the advisability of this whole plan. If the platforms are lengthened ans a situation arises in which it is absolutely imperative that (R) trains run up Nassau, they should be turned at Essex middle, not at Chambers. Not only does this avoid the ridiculous crossover move at Chambers, but it also gives displaced riders access to the (plentiful) transfers found at Canal and Essex. Just something to think about... 

That's what I last heard about the relay tracks. Your solution was the only viable option that came to mind.  IIRC much of the unused trackage along the Nassau line is/was being removed anyhow with only the basics left to maintain.  BTW Wallyhorse your proposal for 600 foot platforms along the Eastern BMT could only be viable if the structure was torn down and the current services were placed underground in Brooklyn and Queens IMO. They're not running wooden el cars or lightweight equipment these days.  Reinforcing the structures and maintenance would be extremely costly. Carry on. 

1 hour ago, Trainmaster5 said:

That's what I last heard about the relay tracks. Your solution was the only viable option that came to mind.  IIRC much of the unused trackage along the Nassau line is/was being removed anyhow with only the basics left to maintain.  BTW Wallyhorse your proposal for 600 foot platforms along the Eastern BMT could only be viable if the structure was torn down and the current services were placed underground in Brooklyn and Queens IMO. They're not running wooden el cars or lightweight equipment these days.  Reinforcing the structures and maintenance would be extremely costly. Carry on. 

Personally I think the only platforms that should be lengthened are the ones served by the (M) (if possible).