Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

So you are suggesting a mix of cut and cover and TBM work right?

Precisely, there should be a balance between each one, I believe currently it is that way: The tunnels are bored and the stations are built with cut and cover.

I have a question,

detail4763.png

Is anything done in anticipation of the cyan line at a junction where (Q) and (T) supposedly separate? Or its only been tunneled to connect to 63rd Street without further work done?

Edited by overclocked

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Traffic is already horrible on 2nd Avenue. I pass it every day to get to the subway and it's just awful. Closing off entire segments for cut and cover would only make it worse, and it would send tons of extra traffic onto our residential York Avenue and possibly even quiet East End Avenue. We do not need any more traffic, and this construction is already ridiculous.

Traffic is already horrible on 2nd Avenue. I pass it every day to get to the subway and it's just awful. Closing off entire segments for cut and cover would only make it worse, and it would send tons of extra traffic onto our residential York Avenue and possibly even quiet East End Avenue. We do not need any more traffic, and this construction is already ridiculous.

But as I checked online it's faster. Would you want it done all at once and moved on to another area or would you wait for construction to take years and mess around with where you live for years.

It's temporary. They can move back in once construction is done.

How much money/assistance would someone take to be convinced it's better to deal with the inconveniences of moving? Your answer to that question may tell you how cost-effective this strategy is.

How much money/assistance would someone take to be convinced it's better to deal with the inconveniences of moving? Your answer to that question may tell you how cost-effective this strategy is.

Not only is moving an inconvenience, but it can be very time consuming and very stressful for many who may not necessarily have the time to properly do it. While may be necessary and in some cases for the "greater good," it still comes with its own set of problems that have to be well thought out.

Not only is moving an inconvenience, but it can be very time consuming and very stressful for many who may not necessarily have the time to properly do it. While may be necessary and in some cases for the "greater good," it still comes with its own set of problems that have to be well thought out.

Oh the woe of property values...if it was a blighted row of living spaces, bulldozers would have already had their rampage and the railroad would be in its final stages of initialization.

Oh the woe of property values...if it was a blighted row of living spaces, bulldozers would have already had their rampage and the railroad would be in its final stages of initialization.

Yes, property values do come into play. If you're able to do it AND get rid of blight at the same time, it's a win-win in a lot of cases.

I am looking at the new Second Avenue Subway maps, and if I'm understanding correctly, the stations will be:

72nd St. (at 2nd)

55th St. (at 2nd)

This is a huge gap; the only station in the 60s will be, if I understand right, near the existing 63rd & Lex station.

Why won't the MTA add a station in the 60s, nearer 2nd Avenue?

Thanks.

Might be because the BMT 60th Street tunnel would block access to the street level. Besides, people can use 59th Street IRT/BMT Station or 63rd St instead. For those going down 2nd Avenue, use the +SBS/Local M15 or walk.

As for when anything below 72nd Street would open, its unknown at this point. We still stuck on Phase I.

Might be because the BMT 60th Street tunnel would block access to the street level. Besides, people can use 59th Street IRT/BMT Station or 63rd St instead. For those going down 2nd Avenue, use the +SBS/Local M15 or walk.

As for when anything below 72nd Street would open, its unknown at this point. We still stuck on Phase I.

The 60 Street tunnel should be on a deeper level at this point, unless it rises after leaving Lexington Avenue.

The 60th St tunnels probably do drop further east of the Lexington Ave station. It sure seems that way when I look out into the tunnels at the east end of the station.

I think between the (F)(Q) at Lex/63rd and the (N)(R)(W) at Lex/60th, both with entrances on 3rd Ave, the lower east 60s will be covered. Bear in mind that these stations will not have only one entrance on the street they're named after. They will have additional entrances a block or two away from the main entrances. That will help to make up for the lack of additional stops that the older subway lines have.

Until the (T) comes, I'm support/with any idea that doesn't involve the Broadway lines criss-crossing from local to express tracks vice versa cause that is unhealthy #realtalk.

I agree with your post. Express trains should stay on the express tracks and and local trains should stay on the local tracks. It keeps the trains moving with minimal delays and allows more trains per hour to be run on the tracks. That's why I've suggested and agreed with others who have suggested sending the (N) to 2nd Avenue with the (Q) rather than keeping it at Astoria and having it switch from the local to the express tracks between 42nd and 34th as it used to before the June 2010 service cuts (and as the (Q) currently does).