Manhattan Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

CDTA

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that's certainly a new one (of what I can remember off the top of my head anyway); any mention you tend to hear of regarding sending the 2nd av line to the bronx, is to gun hill/WPR....

As far as 181st, I wasn't thinking of sending the 2nd av line way up there (nor was I thinking about making a full-fledged cross bronx line like QJT brought up)... I was thinking more along the lines of bringing bronx patrons to washington heights - something like what the 42nd street shuttle accomplishes for bringing west side riders to the east side (& vice versa)..... That's why I said to Via earlier that I wadn't sure where you'd end such a crosstown on the bronx end.....

^^ Of course, none of it would result in a cutting back of any of the Bx-GWB area bus routes.....

(whatever happened to the Bronx idea thread anyway.... Lol)

Yeah, part of their methodology involved looking at the density of the areas, so I guess they figured that the areas along Fordham Road were more dense than the areas Webster Avenue (since with Webster, you have the park on one side), and they figured they might as well provide some sort of crosstown service, and serve a denser area (plus, they mentioned University Heights was a subway-less area, so they wanted to serve that as well, because Webster Avenue is somewhat close to the (B)(D))

And yeah, the problem is that the West Bronx is hilly, and the streets are indirect, so it would be harder to route the trains (unless you ran them in the median of the CBX or something, but I don't think that would be a good idea). And I think most routes out of GWB have somewhat similar ridership, so there's no corridor that should get priority for a crosstown subway line. I mean, maybe they could have it go up University to Tremont, and then end it at West Farms or possibly Parkchester.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

Yeah, part of their methodology involved looking at the density of the areas, so I guess they figured that the areas along Fordham Road were more dense than the areas Webster Avenue (since with Webster, you have the park on one side), and they figured they might as well provide some sort of crosstown service, and serve a denser area (plus, they mentioned University Heights was a subway-less area, so they wanted to serve that as well, because Webster Avenue is somewhat close to the (B)(D))

And yeah, the problem is that the West Bronx is hilly, and the streets are indirect, so it would be harder to route the trains (unless you ran them in the median of the CBX or something, but I don't think that would be a good idea). And I think most routes out of GWB have somewhat similar ridership, so there's no corridor that should get priority for a crosstown subway line.

OK but for Crosstown subway why was I getting burned. But yeah Cross bronx is too narrow and there are many obstacles preventing such from happening.

A crosstown subway route? Is that really what your solution is? Why not replace every single bus route in the city with a subway line while we're at it. More subway routes are beyond fantasy; there's no way that any more routes can possibly be built with the way the MTA is going now.

Just look at how long it's taking the MTA to build 3 measly stops along 2nd Avenue. It's pathetic.

OK but for Crosstown subway why was I getting burned. But yeah Cross bronx is too narrow and there are many obstacles preventing such from happening.

Well, it's not just that it's too narrow, it's that the environment is unpleasant to wait for a train in, with all the noise and pollution from the cars.

As for being "burned", well, it was only two people. For one person, it was the fact that you would be sending the subway into Throgs Neck, not the idea of a crosstown subway in general (the area isn't "affluent" or "wealthy", like he's saying but the issue is that you have a limited catchment area and the area isn't that dense). But he wasn't against the idea of a cross-Bronx line. For the other, it's the fact that you suggested a crazy idea, and the fact that a full-fledged Bronx crosstown wasn't what he was discussing. He was just talking about connecting the West Bronx to Upper Manhattan.

A crosstown subway route? Is that really what your solution is? Why not replace every single bus route in the city with a subway line while we're at it. More subway routes are beyond fantasy; there's no way that any more routes can possibly be built with the way the MTA is going now.

Just look at how long it's taking the MTA to build 3 measly stops along 2nd Avenue. It's pathetic.

I admit it is a bit fantasy. MTA is a bit pathetic with these things sad ain't it.

Well, it's not just that it's too narrow, it's that the environment is unpleasant to wait for a train in, with all the noise and pollution from the cars.

As for being "burned", well, it was only two people. For one person, it was the fact that you would be sending the subway into Throgs Neck, not the idea of a crosstown subway in general (the area isn't "affluent" or "wealthy", like he's saying but the issue is that you have a limited catchment area and the area isn't that dense). But he wasn't against the idea of a cross-Bronx line. For the other, it's the fact that you suggested a crazy idea, and the fact that a full-fledged Bronx crosstown wasn't what he was discussing. He was just talking about connecting the West Bronx to Upper Manhattan.

My extremism in general was always a weakness of mine. I did learn that buses can physically use FDR southbound all the way until 71st street exit to avoid that low clearance then get back on via 63rd. Northbound after re looking it over till 63rd between 42nd and 63 buses can't fit. Edited by qjtransitmaster

My extremism in general was always a weakness of mine. I did learn that buses can physically use FDR southbound all the way until 71st street exit to avoid that low clearance then get back on via 63rd. Northbound after re looking it over till 63rd between 42nd and 63 buses can't fit. Does 42nd have a bus lane?

What does this have to do with anything?

And southbound I'm pretty sure buses can physically fit the entire way. Clearance is 11'8" by 90th Street.

What does this have to do with anything?

And southbound I'm pretty sure buses can physically fit the entire way. Clearance is 11'8" by 90th Street.

true but there is a low very low one at 61st southbound that can only be avoided by the 63rd street entrance to the FDR southbound.

Northbound 42nd to 63rd I think but since you live there you can confirm.

Possibility for express service along that corridor improving.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

true but there is a low very low one at 61st southbound that can only be avoided by the 63rd street entrance to the FDR southbound.

Northbound 42nd to 63rd I think but since you live there you can confirm.

Possibility for express service along that corridor improving.

No, trucks and buses are not allowed because the lanes are extremely narrow and there are tight curves that would require a bus to take up more than one lane. That would be an extreme safety issue and there's no way that the MTA will restore any express service up north.

As a driver, I find it really annoying when a full sized school bus is illegally driving down, and has to use two lanes between 63rd and 53rd in the tunnel like structure.

No, trucks and buses are not allowed because the lanes are extremely narrow and there are tight curves that would require a bus to take up more than one lane. That would be an extreme safety issue and there's no way that the MTA will restore any express service up north.

As a driver, I find it really annoying when a full sized school bus is illegally driving down, and has to use two lanes between 63rd and 53rd in the tunnel like structure.

Ok I forgot buses can't use it northbound between 42nd and 63rd. 63rd and 53rd buses can't use it northbound. Or are you talking about southbound?

Are you saying between 63rd and 53rd street buses CAN'T use FDR southbound? I am talking about southbound so confirm kay.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

Ok I forgot buses can't use it northbound between 42nd and 63rd. 63rd and 53rd buses can't use it northbound. Or are you talking about southbound?

Are you saying between 63rd and 53rd street buses CAN'T use FDR southbound? I am talking about southbound so confirm kay.

Buses and trucks are banned from the FDR between 20th Street and 125th Street, although the QM buses almost always illegally use up to 34th Street despite the 8000lb limit and no trucks signs. The reason is that the lanes are so narrow and there's many turns that are too sharp for a bus to be able to stay in one lane.

Buses fulfill the height restrictions with the exception of northbound 53rd-61st, but they are banned from using the FDR between 125th and 20th.

Buses and trucks are banned from the FDR between 20th Street and 125th Street, although the QM buses almost always illegally use up to 34th Street despite the 8000lb limit and no trucks signs. The reason is that the lanes are so narrow and there's many turns that are too sharp for a bus to be able to stay in one lane.

Buses fulfill the height restrictions with the exception of northbound 53rd-61st, but they are banned from using the FDR between 125th and 20th.

Thanks for your input.

Two small ideas -

1. Rework the M22 Eastbound so that the M22 follows the M9 through Park Row and onto East Broadway. The current route can be confusing and disorienting to those who don't ride it on a regular basis, and East Broadway is a busier corridor than St. James Place and Madison St.

2. Extend the M11 to a stop in the general vicinity of West 4th St and Washington Square Park - the southern M11 terminus doesn't seem like a particularly big anchor, and it'd connect to a pretty big subway station and the NYU area.

.....And I think most routes out of GWB have somewhat similar ridership, so there's no corridor that should get priority for a crosstown subway line.

IINM, Cotb16 & I had a discussion about that in the Bronx thread; about which of the 5 Bx-GWB routes gets the most usage over the other.... You can try to find it if you're bored or interested enough....

For the other, it's the fact that you suggested a crazy idea, and the fact that a full-fledged Bronx crosstown wasn't what he was discussing. He was just talking about connecting the West Bronx to Upper Manhattan.

Yes, that was my stance (after W. 181st was brought up).... My intent wasn't to turn this into a subway proposal thread...

I did not want to get into talking about the intricacies of what a cross bronx line should entail in here....

Two small ideas -

1. Rework the M22 Eastbound so that the M22 follows the M9 through Park Row and onto East Broadway. The current route can be confusing and disorienting to those who don't ride it on a regular basis, and East Broadway is a busier corridor than St. James Place and Madison St.

I would agree, but the routing that it had prior to the construction reroutes do pick up a good amount of folks, especially at Frankfort and Pearl.

2. Extend the M11 to a stop in the general vicinity of West 4th St and Washington Square Park - the southern M11 terminus doesn't seem like a particularly big anchor, and it'd connect to a pretty big subway station and the NYU area.

You're right, it isn't (a big anchor)... Has that feel like it's a terminal in the middle of nowhere inparticular for those riders..... Those that you see waiting for 11's at Abingdon sq. are usually coming from the south or the west (those more coming from the immediate east of abingdon sq. tend to wait more for the 14a)..... Concurrently, those disembarking 11's at Abingdon sq. you'll find walking south towards christopher or east towards greenwich, washington, and/or west sts....

I don't have an opinion about your idea either way, but what I will say is that the market/riderbase over in that general area is what the MTA is trying to address/better serve with that West side route or w/e.....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

since this thread went into the oblivion i figured i'd dig it up so we don't create another one

how about splitting the M5 and m6 into 2 like it used to be

I've always wondered why they picked Houston as a terminal. It just always seemed an odd place to terminate a bus.

In any case, that's probably one of the most-discussed topics on this forum.