Manhattan Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

CDTA

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah I see! So pretty much if I fill in a single fare, I get a paper transfer or just transfer in the card?

And this transfer can be used within any other Express Bus route?

From what I understand, coins get you no transfer. Paying with a MetroCard gives you a transfer that can be used on any express bus except the BxM4C (and of course, whatever route you initially boarded). Of course, it can also be used on the local bus/subway.

From what I understand, coins get you no transfer. Paying with a MetroCard gives you a transfer that can be used on any express bus except the BxM4C (and of course, whatever route you initially boarded). Of course, it can also be used on the local bus/subway.

I think you get a transfer, then dip 2.25 into the machine. Metrocards themselves are the real transfers.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here my idea for the purposed new "Far West Side" bus route. It called M12.

Runs between Columbus Circle area (57th and 8th) and Washington and Houston.

Main Route: 57th, 11th Ave, 10th(Northbound between 23rd and 42nd), serves Chelesa Piers, then via West St.(limited stops)14th and down via Hudson St to Houston and Washington. Needs to avoid any further south to avoid the Holland Tunnel and helps out the "M11."

"M11" weekdays and saturdays short trips southbound starts/ends at 34th Street. Reactions?

Are you allowed to make left turns from Chambers onto Lafayette? Because if you are, the the M22's eastbound route should be the same as the westbound routing (Lafayette->Worth->East Broadway).

It'd certainly be a lot more convenient for riders, because the M22 wouldn't need to make that U-turn by City Hall.

Are you allowed to make left turns from Chambers onto Lafayette? Because if you are, the the M22's eastbound route should be the same as the westbound routing (Lafayette->Worth->East Broadway).

It'd certainly be a lot more convenient for riders, because the M22 wouldn't need to make that U-turn by City Hall.

No, you are not allowed, to give the bridge traffic priority.

Main Route: 57th, 11th Ave, 10th(Northbound between 23rd and 42nd), serves Chelesa Piers, then via West St.(limited stops)14th and down via Hudson St to Houston and Washington. Needs to avoid any further south to avoid the Holland Tunnel and helps out the "M11."

"M11" weekdays and saturdays short trips southbound starts/ends at 34th Street. Reactions?

Hmmm..... This route can also benefit to the future of the Hudson Yards neighborhood. #thumbs

I don't agree with any west side bus route, but here's a reaction to this specific idea.....

May as well make it an aid/alternate to both the 11 & the 20....

You just may get more ppl. willing to ride it if it went to the area around w 66th/lincoln center.... Don't see the point of ending this over there around the UPS facility; (try to) make it more conducive for the ppl's needs down the village, soho, etc.... Think about maybe ending it around astor place (via M8), b'way/lafayette (via M21), or the spring st station (C)(E); something like that.....

M4/M5/M7/M98/M102 (but primarily the M98 and M102 with other routes being adjusted as a result):

What I would propose a discontinuance of the M98 and an extension of the M102 instead, with Limited-stop service introduced to the M102. The reason why I propose this is that, especially in the PM rush, the delays on the Harlem River Drive leading up to the George Washington Bridge can essentially defeat the purpose of that segment, and you don't generate any revenue along the Harlem River Drive. In addition, upper Manhattan needs better service to the East Side of Manhattan that avoids the traffic delays on 125 Street, which during the PM rush can cause problems for the M101 both ways.

The proposed M102 route would take this routing: Northbound, leave its current route at 145 and Lenox, then run west on 145, north on St. Nicholas Avenue, continue onto Broadway, west on 179, right on Fort Washington Avenue, to the Cloisters.

The M102 Limited stops would be as follows, northbound:

All M101 Limited Stops to 106 Street, then:

116 Street and Third Avenue

All current stops on 116 Street between 3/Lex and Lenox Avenue except Park Avenue

Lenox and 116

Lenox and 125

Lenox and 135

145 and Lenox

All stops on 145 Street between Lenox Avenue and St. Nicholas Avenue

St. Nicholas and 155

165 and Broadway

All stops on Fort Washington Avenue to Cloisters.

Alternating M102 trips would terminate at 145 Street and Lenox Avenue (deadheading to 147 Street to turn around only).

Along Lenox Avenue, the M7 provides local service. A third transfer would be given to riders who use the M102 at bypassed stops that would be valid for use on the M101 or M102. Along St. Nicholas Avenue, the M3 runs local, except for where the M3 runs on Amsterdam Avenue, along which there would be no stops anyhow.

To avoid overserving Fort Washington Avenue, M4 service on its northern segment would have alternating trips terminating at 138 Street (near the Manhattanville Depot). To compensate for the loss of M4 service along Broadway and in Washington Heights, the M5 would run local along Broadway in upper Manhattan. Because the M5's running time would increase as a result to close to 2 hours, it would be truncated back to Houston Street and the M7 would instead be the route to South Ferry, turning off 7 Avenue at Greenwich Avenue and running along Greenwich Avenue and 8 Street to Broadway.

Edited by aemoreira81

Ok.... first of all, why do you plan on replacing a rush hour route with full time service? Just plain overserving right there. The M98 is a rush hour route for a reason.

Second of all, I hope this includes some kind of service boost for the M103, because local riders would be screwed...

Ok.... first of all, why do you plan on replacing a rush hour route with full time service? Just plain overserving right there. The M98 is a rush hour route for a reason.

Second of all, I hope this includes some kind of service boost for the M103, because local riders would be screwed...

And aside from that.... <_< Just thought I'd throw that in there... :lol:

The M103 getting a service increase is a given, with runs that only run between 125 Street and 6 Street. As for replacing the M98 with a full-time route - part of it is to give Washington Heights better access to Harlem Hospital and the 125 Street corridor via a faster route. There would be turnover on this route as it travels through Harlem...and it would relieve the M101 as well as the M102 would not get bogged down on 125 Street.

The M98 is intended to save time, but in practice, it does not, especially northbound. Local and Limited-stop routes, where possible, should have high turnover unless they're essentially feeder shuttles to a subway station.. The M98 also serves too narrow a market as I see it. As it is, the MTA has been slowly killing it, but the market does deserve the connections, hence why I would extend the M102.

Edited by aemoreira81

Right off the bat, I don't like the idea of having the 102 & the Bx19 along 145th..... Really don't like the idea of extending the 102, but if you're gonna do all that, you may as well keep 102 LTD's on 116th & swing em over to manhattan (av) & run it up w/ the M3 until you get to amsterdam, and up amsterdam to the M101 terminal... This would also accomplish the goal of time savings for 3rd av, etc. riders not having to deal w/ 101LTD's across 125th.... There's no point in running it to cloisters; there's nothing saying you have to try to replace 100% of the 98; let the M4 handle that area by itself....

Regardless of that...

What I will say is, the MTA may as well get rid of the M98..... Their goal is to most likely to force riders onto 101's anyway.....

Edited by B35 via Church

M4/M5/M7/M98/M102 (but primarily the M98 and M102 with other routes being adjusted as a result):

What I would propose a discontinuance of the M98 and an extension of the M102 instead, with Limited-stop service introduced to the M102. The reason why I propose this is that, especially in the PM rush, the delays on the Harlem River Drive leading up to the George Washington Bridge can essentially defeat the purpose of that segment, and you don't generate any revenue along the Harlem River Drive. In addition, upper Manhattan needs better service to the East Side of Manhattan that avoids the traffic delays on 125 Street, which during the PM rush can cause problems for the M101 both ways.

The proposed M102 route would take this routing: Northbound, leave its current route at 145 and Lenox, then run west on 145, north on St. Nicholas Avenue, continue onto Broadway, west on 179, right on Fort Washington Avenue, to the Cloisters.

All current stops on 116 Street between 3/Lex and Lenox Avenue except Park Avenue

Lenox and 116

Lenox and 125

Lenox and 135

145 and Lenox

St. Nicholas and 155

165 and Broadway

Alternating M102 trips would terminate at 145 Street and Lenox Avenue (deadheading to 147 Street to turn around only).

Along Lenox Avenue, the M7 provides local service. A third transfer would be given to riders who use the M102 at bypassed stops that would be valid for use on the M101 or M102. Along St. Nicholas Avenue, the M3 runs local, except for where the M3 runs on Amsterdam Avenue, along which there would be no stops anyhow.

To avoid overserving Fort Washington Avenue, M4 service on its northern segment would have alternating trips terminating at 138 Street (near the Manhattanville Depot). To compensate for the loss of M4 service along Broadway and in Washington Heights, the M5 would run local along Broadway in upper Manhattan. Because the M5's running time would increase as a result to close to 2 hours, it would be truncated back to Houston Street and the M7 would instead be the route to South Ferry, turning off 7 Avenue at Greenwich Avenue and running along Greenwich Avenue and 8 Street to Broadway.

Wanna avoid traffic widen Harlem river give it a baracade separated HOV and watch M98 ridership skyrocket. Harlem river is meant to skip straight to GWB. The traffic leading up to the bridge are people going to NJ due to city restrictions NJT can't even go after this travel group forfeiting potential riders. Lack of HOV ain't helping. You know the I-278 HOV for SI express buses to manhattan Harlem river needs something like that for any bus to attract ridership and make that segment useful. Most have basically gave up on M98 and used (4) to Bx35 as their alternative. At this rate it's too late M102 LTD err nope not needed in the shape you are suggesting.

err I do not think you know anything about M98 buddy. M98 has low ridership and rush only cause A MTA refused to make ways for it to skip traffic and B cutting service to 30 mins that is Bx24 bad And C running at rush hr only with the schedule it has is not exactly attracting ridership actually it is DETERRING RIDERSHIP!!!

The M103 getting a service increase is a given, with runs that only run between 125 Street and 6 Street. As for replacing the M98 with a full-time route - part of it is to give Washington Heights better access to Harlem Hospital and the 125 Street corridor via a faster route. There would be turnover on this route as it travels through Harlem...and it would relieve the M101 as well as the M102 would not get bogged down on 125 Street.

The M98 is intended to save time, but in practice, it does not, especially northbound. Local and Limited-stop routes, where possible, should have high turnover unless they're essentially feeder shuttles to a subway station.. The M98 also serves too narrow a market as I see it. As it is, the MTA has been slowly killing it, but the market does deserve the connections, hence why I would extend the M102.

Well Which mode is faster M98 or (4) to 167th for Bx35? M98 has no HOV protection so it's impossible to become useful due to traffic especially when most of that traffic is combined FDR traffic with traffic from queens ring a bell. Let's not touch M102 and just admit M98 is a failure.

Right off the bat, I don't like the idea of having the 102 & the Bx19 along 145th..... Really don't like the idea of extending the 102, but if you're gonna do all that, you may as well keep 102 LTD's on 116th & swing em over to manhattan (av) & run it up w/ the M3 until you get to amsterdam, and up amsterdam to the M101 terminal... This would also accomplish the goal of time savings for 3rd av, etc. riders not having to deal w/ 101LTD's across 125th.... There's no point in running it to cloisters; there's nothing saying you have to try to replace 100% of the 98; let the M4 handle that area by itself....

Regardless of that...

What I will say is, the MTA may as well get rid of the M98..... Their goal is to most likely to force riders onto 101's anyway.....

Or the (4) to Bx35 :lol:

Lenox and 116

Lenox and 125

Lenox and 135

145 and Lenox

St. Nicholas and 155

165 and Broadway

Wanna avoid traffic widen Harlem river give it a baracade separated HOV and watch M98 ridership skyrocket. Harlem river is meant to skip straight to GWB. The traffic leading up to the bridge are people going to NJ due to city restrictions NJT can't even go after this travel group forfeiting potential riders. Lack of HOV ain't helping. You know the I-278 HOV for SI express buses to manhattan Harlem river needs something like that for any bus to attract ridership and make that segment useful. Most have basically gave up on M98 and used (4) to Bx35 as their alternative. At this rate it's too late M102 LTD err nope not needed in the shape you are suggesting.

err I do not think you know anything about M98 buddy. M98 has low ridership and rush only cause A MTA refused to make ways for it to skip traffic and B cutting service to 30 mins that is Bx24 bad And C running at rush hr only with the sechedule it has is not exactly attracting ridership actually it is DETERRING RIDERSHIP!!!

Well Which mode is faster M98 or (4) to 167th for Bx35? M98 has no HOV protection so it's impossible to become useful due to traffic especially when most of that traffic is combined FDR traffic with traffic from queens ring a bell. Let's not touch M102 and just admit M98 is a failure.

Regardless of that...

Or the (4) to Bx35 :lol: Edited by qjtransitmaster

Something is very wrong here.....

1) How do you edit a post that's already been composed.... before you composed it?

(initial post was 1:37am.... last edit was at 1:36am)

2) Double posting in the same post?... Now I've seen everything....

3) Just what does the Bx35 have to do with anything?

err I do not think you know anything about M98 buddy. M98 has low ridership and rush only cause A MTA refused to make ways for it to skip traffic and B cutting service to 30 mins that is Bx24 bad And C running at rush hr only with the sechedule it has is not exactly attracting ridership actually it is DETERRING RIDERSHIP!!!

"err"... the M98 never had good ridership, or it would have at least been a full time route... please explain how the (MTA) is deterring the ridership?

Something is very wrong here.....

1) How do you edit a post that's already been composed.... before you composed it?

(initial post was 1:37am.... last edit was at 1:36am)

2) Double posting in the same post?... Now I've seen everything....

3) Just what does the Bx35 have to do with anything?

1 & 2) This dude has mad hax... :lol:

3) I'm lost on that point as well....

Me too. QJ being QJ again lol. Seriously how in world is "M98" users taking the (4) subway to the BX35? I thought they more likely take the (4) subway and transfer to the M100 at 125th or even connect to the BX36 for 181/GW Bus Terminal area.

I think I get what that poster is saying, but I don't necessarily agree with it as 181 Street and the Washington Bridge are their own can of worms in terms of traffic.