Manhattan Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

CDTA

So then base it out of a Staten Island or Brooklyn depot. What's the problem?

Usually depends on management and such IIRC to see if routes were to go to other depots. I once heard a long time ago that the x90 was once going to be moved also to Ulmer Park but that didn't come through.

Edited by Cait Sith

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember a while back, people mentioned that M104 buses often got stuck in traffic turning around by the Port Authority Bus Terminal. Out of curiosity, are the streets near Penn Station any better? Because if it were extended there, you'd have bidirectional bus service from the UWS to Penn Station, the same way the M10 used to run. (I say bidirectional because the M7 serves Penn Station going southbound).

I remember a while back, people mentioned that M104 buses often got stuck in traffic turning around by the Port Authority Bus Terminal. Out of curiosity, are the streets near Penn Station any better? Because if it were extended there, you'd have bidirectional bus service from the UWS to Penn Station, the same way the M10 used to run. (I say bidirectional because the M7 serves Penn Station going southbound).

I think the M104 should go to Penn Station, traffic there is bad, but not as bad as around PABT, I believe sending the M104 to Penn is better than sending it back into that 42nd Street mess....

I think the M104 should go to Penn Station, traffic there is bad, but not as bad as around PABT, I believe sending the M104 to Penn is better than sending it back into that 42nd Street mess....

Traffic in both areas are the same.....and I'm around there enough to know that, 8th Avenue is SLAMMED until way after Times Square...

lets keep it simple leave M104 as it is now it's reliability improved since being curtailed. Let's not screw it up M104 is better this way. Keep it off 42nd if ya don't like it STFU and use M42 or walk riders on broadway don't need their bus ruined beacause of lazy idiots who don't want a transfer boo hoo M104 don't go to united nations lets kill this stupid pointless debate about the M104. If you want United nations from broadway take the (1)(2) & (3) to 42nd then take M42 or (7) & STFU no sane person tryna get there seriously would mess with M104 cause it is SLOW. If you are using m104 you are not in a rush or on a schedule.

lets keep it simple leave M104 as it is now it's reliability improved since being curtailed. Let's not screw it up M104 is better this way. Keep it off 42nd if ya don't like it STFU and use M42 or walk riders on broadway don't need their bus ruined beacause of lazy idiots who don't want a transfer boo hoo M104 don't go to united nations lets kill this stupid pointless debate about the M104. If you want United nations from broadway take the (1)(2) & (3) to 42nd then take M42 or (7) & STFU no sane person tryna get there seriously would mess with M104 cause it is SLOW. If you are using m104 you are not in a rush or on a schedule.

Do you even know what you're saying half the time?

So hypothetically, if the MTA wanted to cut the M31 so that it ran on York Avenue only and didn't do the 57th Street portion, Yorkville riders would be "lazy idiots" who should "STFU," as you put it?

Do you even know what you're saying half the time?

So hypothetically, if the MTA wanted to cut the M31 so that it ran on York Avenue only and didn't do the 57th Street portion, Yorkville riders would be "lazy idiots" who should "STFU," as you put it?

You can't compare the M31 to the M104 for several reasons. Firstly the M104 and M31 serve two different sets of riders with different needs. Most of the people on the M31 are business type people looking to reach their job in midtown or connect with a north-south subway or bus. Most of the people using the M104 are people who wish to go to a location that is north of 57th street. 85% of the time there will be less then 10 people on the M104 south of 57th street. Secondly the M104's crosstown segment was useless, the M31 crosstown segment was not. People did not really use the M104 on it's crosstown segment on 42nd street. Durning rush hours their may be a crowded bus or two, but most of the ridership on the 42nd street corridor is sucked up by the M42 because it has higher headways. On the other hand the 57th street corridor does not have a high headway crosstown route so the M31 is needed to counteract the lackluster headways on 57th street bus routes. Finally the QT stated above the M104 is doing better as a route; buses are coming on time- something that never happened before.

where would you actually end it though? forget about the old M10 terminal; that (curb)side of MSG's gated off to a certain point & they got those concrete barricades all over the place..... if you're thinking about the M4/Q32 terminal, there's not much space to end another route there.....

to answer your question.... turning on/off 34th isn't really any better than turning on/off 42nd.....

sans the namecalling & insults, I have to agree with this.... People forget that the M104 had (and still does have) to contend w/ broadway, which is no better when it comes to traffic.... having it run on 42nd IMO was one of the main reasons that route would be late.... Now leaving out of PABT, the 104 is a little more bearable..... the 104 shouldn't have had to have been a supplement for the subpar service that the 42 used to have....

I get that you're attacking the general logic, but the actual scenario's are different; can't really compare york & 57th (m31) to broadway & 42nd st (old m104)......

People did not really use the M104 on it's crosstown segment on 42nd street.

If by that you mean those coming from points north, then not too much, no...... but along 42nd itself, ppl only used it b/c it often came before the 42....

Edited by B35 via Church

Traffic in both areas are the same.....and I'm around there enough to know that, 8th Avenue is SLAMMED until way after Times Square...

Well it's not as bad as sending the M104 back to the UN. 42nd Street traffic is twice as bad...

where would you actually end it though? forget about the old M10 terminal; that (curb)side of MSG's gated off to a certain point & they got those concrete barricades all over the place..... if you're thinking about the M4/Q32 terminal, there's not much space to end another route there.....

The only place I can think of is where the M34 ends near the Javit Center. Enough space for it. But, I say the M104 is find where it is.

I have a question: Why was the M34 removed from the Javits Center roadway? I know the M42 was taken out because of money, but the M34 didn't have that problem...

AFAIK, it's Javits center themselves.... they'd rather have charter buses taking up that space during events, over public buses.....

To be honest, I don't really blame em.....

to answer your question.... turning on/off 34th isn't really any better than turning on/off 42nd.....

I was just thinking to end it at the old M10 terminal. Since that won't work, the next best thing would be to terminate it near Penn South. (I think that's near 28th Street or something. I don't know offhand). But yeah, if it can't terminate there, you might as well leave it at the PABT.

Again I have a better idea leave M104 alone let's drop this stupid subject now.

I have a better idea: How about you shut your mouth and let us discuss it. I threw it out there to see if it was a good idea. Turns out it wouldn't be much better than the current situation, and I even mentioned it in the post right above yours. I don't need you telling me when to start and end my discussions.

I have a better idea: How about you shut your mouth and let us discuss it. I threw it out there to see if it was a good idea. Turns out it wouldn't be much better than the current situation, and I even mentioned it in the post right above yours. I don't need you telling me when to start and end my discussions.

Be more clear plz.

Be more clear plz.

Just saying, would it kill you to make posts without severely butchering the English language? It's not that much harder to type out "please" instead of "plz," or "people" instead of "ppl." I honestly can't even take what you say seriously because it's clear that you don't really care when you're typing so fast and making it hard for people to decipher what you say.

Again I have a better idea leave M104 alone let's drop this stupid subject now.

To be honest, I'm rather sick of the reversion of the M104 along 42nd talks also..... and I agree that it should stay ending @ PABT.....

But reverting the M104 (or wanting to send it to penn) is not a "stupid" subject..... Reverting it is moot (debatable), but not stupid..... There's been some good arguments brought up for & against bringing back the routing along 42nd.....

Edited by B35 via Church

Why don't you leave this thread and go somewhere where your ideas actually get some notice? You don't control the discussion.

To be honest they do in the real world my real ones most of which I typed up were not shared beacause they are detailedand too long to post in a forum but if posted in pieces you would not understand why some changes are made as a result alot of unneeded harrasment. For manhattan lets discuss bus service on west side hwy why is there no service there? M37 is a draft thesis proposal