Best article I've read about reactivating the Rockaway Beach line

That looks VERY similar to what I was thinking, except I would do it as noted as a (W) from Whitehall Street that would replace the (R) as the QB train (the (G) and (M) would both go to 71st-Continental, the (G) all times and the (M) at least 19/7 if not 24/7 and to avoid any possible conga lines towards 71-Ctl, the (G)/ (M) would rush hours also be extended to 179th Street while the (F) during those times is express all the way).

No, QBL can't handle 3 lines, local or express (without signal improvements). 179th is a capable terminal, but it's not the best idea i've heard...

An amendment to this plan:

Broadway Line:

(R): Rockaway Park-95 Street, express, via Bridge.

(N): Astoria-Coney Island, local.

(W): Bay Parkway-Astoria, local.

(Q): 57 Street-Coney Island, to 96 St-2 Avenue when SAS is completed.

6 Avenue Line:

(B)/ (D): Not affected.

(F): Express, full route 179 St-21 St-Queensbridge.

(M): Extended to 179 St, weekdays. Essex St-Metro Avenue on weekends.

Crosstown:

(G): With signal improvements, extended to Continental Avenue.

8th Avenue:

(A)/ ©/ (E): No change.

When Phase 3 of SAS is completed, if ever, a new (K) line will run Houston St-Rockaway Park, via QBL Local. Broadway line service will return to normal, with (N) & (R) switching places on 4th Avenue & Manhattan.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crazy Idea:

Since the (C) is a supplemental line, send the (C) down there from WTC.

Please tell me this is a joke, since it says crazy idea...

In reply to Roadcrusier1:

I'd just rename 63 St-Rego Park as just 63 Street. That was it's original name anyway.

No, QBL can't handle 3 lines, local or express (without signal improvements). 179th is a capable terminal, but it's not the best idea i've heard...

An amendment to this plan:

Broadway Line:

(R): Rockaway Park-95 Street, express, via Bridge.

(N): Astoria-Coney Island, local.

(W): Bay Parkway-Astoria, local.

(Q): 57 Street-Coney Island, to 96 St-2 Avenue when SAS is completed.

6 Avenue Line:

(B)/ (D): Not affected.

(F): Express, full route 179 St-21 St-Queensbridge.

(M): Extended to 179 St, weekdays. Essex St-Metro Avenue on weekends.

Crosstown:

(G): With signal improvements, extended to Continental Avenue.

8th Avenue:

(A)/ ©/ (E): No change.

When Phase 3 of SAS is completed, if ever, a new (K) line will run Houston St-Rockaway Park, via QBL Local. Broadway line service will return to normal, with (N) & (R) switching places on 4th Avenue & Manhattan.

Here, if it wasn't clear, the (R) would take over the current (N), 59 St, Brooklyn-57 St, Manhattan. The (N) would do the same for the (R), since the longer line should be express...

In all seriousness, it would be costly to reactivate the line, but it's cheaper than building the Winfield Spur.

Uh no. When were we ever talking about extending the (G) or creating new subway service? There is no room for any extra subway line in Manhattan nor is there room to put the (G) on the IND Queens Boulevard Line making the point moot, and no the (R) will not be made express nor will it cross the Manhattan Bridge. Seriously when did this becoming a foaming contest? The simplest idea should be the one picked and that has to do with extending the (M), or whatever.

Uh no. When were we ever talking about extending the (G) or creating new subway service? There is no room for any extra subway line in Manhattan nor is there room to put the (G) on the IND Queens Boulevard Line making the point moot.

Then the (G) isn't extended. Other than that, where did I say anything about a new line in Manhattan?

(If the (W) is your problem, there is space for it...)

Then the (G) isn't extended. Other than that, where did I say anything about a new line in Manhattan?

(If the (W) is your problem, there is space for it...)

There is no space for it on the IND Queens Boulevard Line. There is no room for anything.

Crazy Idea:

Since the (C) is a supplemental line, send the (C) down there from WTC.

The (C) runs nowhere near the IND Queens Boulevard Line and it doesn't run to the World Trade Center. It runs to Euclid, and there is no use for the (E) either.

Roadcruiser, shockingly, you are not always right.

Carry on.

'Bout time the truth was served.

Quite frankly, I crunched some numbers, and the (G) can fit on Queens Boulevard. He's saying nothing can fit like there is a serious TPH problem in the subway.

What are you talking about? The portal to connect to the Rockaway Beach Branch already exist on the IND Queens Boulevard Line. They just need to do a little bit more construction and then the ROW needs to be rebuilt, but then it is done, and what are you talking about it the (M) being extended through Middle Village? The (M) will be turned south of Woodhaven Boulevard.

I never mentioned the M at all. The original 1929 plan had the rockaway beach line turning south on 78th St after stopping at its own platform at Roosevelt then using garfield, 65th place then fresh pond road till central where it was to merge with the bushwick ave subway branch that turned north on Myrtle (not merging with the M) untill it turns south on the RoW.

Heres the map:

http://www.vanshnookenraggen.com/_index/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/1929_IND_winspur.jpg

The terminal platform and ramp to the QBL was mostly built. Not what portal are you refering to? is it the bellmouths around 63rd drive?

to be honest IMO, 1) IF the RB RoW ever gets reactivated chances are CBTC will be in effect on the QBL and may just allow one more line.

2) Extending ANY current line that already serves Manhattan will require a significant increase in that line's travel and run time. The creation of a "Queens Crosstown" whether it me a whole new line or utilizing an extended version of the Rock Pk train would be the most logical for 24/7 service with maybe a peak or weekday only extention to manhattan somewhere or somehow without building any new tunnels.

Extending the M if its still operating to and from Metrop Ave is....well.....since most of you like to just look at maps, imagine its routing. Thats one nighmare of a run.

Extending the G....same thing. And would negate the "want" for a one seat ride to Manhattan.

Simple as simple is, the concept of reopening the row, and have it just connect to the QBL from the rockaways would be a big step in making the commute to midtown manhattan a little quicker and easier. and most would use the line to get to QB more than those to midtown.

Because of constant requests about the (G) being extended instead, the (G) will be extended in the Rockaway map instead. Introducing the Queens Boulevard super express. The only stop the (G) will be making is at Roosevelt Avenue to allow transfers to Manhattan, this route isn't circuitous, and the (G) isn't a long line right now so delays would be minimal. However some digging would be required underneath the express tracks to fit the (G) in especially at Roosevelt Avenue.

rockaway_beach_branch_with_the__g__extended_instea_by_roadcruiser1-d4z3sl7.jpg

I never mentioned the M at all. The original 1929 plan had the rockaway beach line turning south on 78th St after stopping at its own platform at Roosevelt then using garfield, 65th place then fresh pond road till central where it was to merge with the bushwick ave subway branch that turned north on Myrtle (not merging with the M) untill it turns south on the RoW.

Heres the map:

http://www.vanshnook...IND_winspur.jpg

The terminal platform and ramp to the QBL was mostly built. Not what portal are you refering to? is it the bellmouths around 63rd drive?

This was the Winfield Spur I spoke of, the Roosevelt station shell is there, tiled & everything, just no light fixtures or track. With the work that would have to be done on the old line, it could equal the costs of building the spur line.

The (C) runs nowhere near the IND Queens Boulevard Line and it doesn't run to the World Trade Center. It runs to Euclid, and there is no use for the (E) either.

He didn't say the (C) runs to WTC. He says "run it FROM WTC" in his idea.

Not really. I just stated the current situation...

But it's not just that. It's my idea and other ideas in this thread. It was the Culver situation that got the first thread locked. As it has been said, you're not always right...

Because of constant requests about the (G) being extended instead, the (G) will be extended in the Rockaway map instead. Introducing the Queens Boulevard super express. The only stop the (G) will be making is at Roosevelt Avenue to allow transfers to Manhattan, this route isn't circuitous, and the (G) isn't a long line right now so delays would be minimal. However some digging would be required underneath the express tracks to fit the (G) in especially at Roosevelt Avenue.

rockaway_beach_branch_with_the__g__extended_instea_by_roadcruiser1-d4z3sl7.jpg

As if this couldn't get worse.

You must think the MTA are billionaires or something. A project like this would take ages.

You must think the MTA are billionaires or something. A project like this would take ages.

Not really, it is just the connection to the Queens Blvd line that's the kicker. There are some huge trees that would have to be cut down, and the stations have to be rebuilt, but those are the major elements of any possible reactivation.

Then we would be back to square 1 with the (M) or (R), and etc. It's one of the proposals that might be picked, and this was also the 1929 proposal.

It's wasn't that long ago that I posted in this thread yet here we are, in "Foamer's Paradise" any way. The way I understood the article it was the author's idea to use the ROW to connect the northern part of Queens with the southern part of the borough. A direct connection within the borough instead of one via Manhattan. IMO the simplest way to do that, and the cheapest, is to rebuild Liberty Junction and reconnect the Rockaway line with the existing LIRR ROW and have riders TRANSFER to the LIRR or subway on the northern end if they wished to continue toward Manhattan. I don't think the author envisioned any connection with the QB lines or a Super Express but an easier way to travel within his own borough. Since the MTA and the state are crying poverty at the moment it's my opinion that if any plan is enacted the author's plan is the only realistic one and we should focus on that right now. I'd love to see the IND Second System be built but let's be real and focus on what's possible. Just my opinion. Carry on.

That is basically my idea about sending the (G) to the Rockaways, but the (G) should still be the local with the (R). The (M) via 63rd would run under the length of QB and then at Woodhaven the (M) would replace the (G) heading to 71st.

Crazy Idea:

Since the is a supplemental line, send the down there from WTC.

You would just clog up QB with an extra 8th av line that's not needed. Plus what runs on the Fulton local? The (C) is needed with the (A).

Archived