Best article I've read about reactivating the Rockaway Beach line

Guest Lance

I think he's saying that while Rockaways riders would prefer a one-seat ride from the Rockaways into Manhattan, they'd be happy with anything that doesn't involve taking the long and slow (A) train. Since the original idea is to bring faster service into the Rockaways without costing a fortune (which means no "unnecessary" construction outside of the rebuilt Rockaway Beach line), those riders may have to give up a Manhattan-direct line in favor of anything at all.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he's saying that while Rockaways riders would prefer a one-seat ride from the Rockaways into Manhattan, they'd be happy with anything that doesn't involve taking the long and slow (A) train.

But I'm saying, the option he's presenting isn't ideal. Even if they want anything but, that dosen't mean we're going to throw them scraps...

Get this, though! A line that only gets steady use on summer weekends will FAIL. You just contradicted your own argument about it being realistic. The (G) can and should be extended along the RoW, and even in the future, the Winfield Spur from Roosevelt can be built. Thats all hypothetical. Point is, a line that dosen't reach Manhattan from the Rockaways will fail. It will only get used on summer weekends, and other times, people will use the express bus or the Cross Bay/Woodhaven buses.

Where will the line terminate? How will it connect to QB lines? The line needs to go to Manhattan. Are you saying that Rockaway riders don't want a one seat ride to Midtown?

we all wanted a one seat ride to manhattan, but being a rockaway resident since 1990 till this past fall, i KNow that we just want a second and possibly faster option. ive also took the time to learn its history and its transit patters though the years. i never said it will only get steady use during the summer, i said it will get its HIGHEST use. Heres why it WONT fail:

Have you ever rode the Q53? I use to be a daily user since its Triboro days. Year round Rockaway residents frequent this route causing the constant crowding on that line. Plus, there are those who take the subway to woodside to use the Q53 instead of shlepping thru brooklyn on the A. So how am i contradicting when its coming from someone who KNOWS and USES rockaway transit. The Q53 was created too replace the LIRR. And if we all supposedly WANT a one seat ride, wheres all the added QM16/17 allday like it was Staten Island service?

Why were the Q21 buses extended to Queens Center and not any farther? Why isnt the Future Q52 going into manhattan? As someone who uses and knows the rockaways, I know for a fact the majority who use woodhaven\x-bay service is to reach the area and connecting services at Queens Bl.

Your argument is based on the assumption that all of us want this for a direct one seat ride to Manhattan. The fact is, we will be happy with just a faster option as long as we dont have to take a bus, nor go thru brooklyn to reach the northern parts of queens.

BTW, i gave a quick summery on how you can connect to the QBL. If you really wanna foam, look elsewhere. 20 years of actually using rockaway transit service, will always trump any foaming desires.

But I'm saying, the option he's presenting isn't ideal. Even if they want anything but, that dosen't mean we're going to throw them scraps...

How is a rockaway residents idea isnt ideal? we have already gotten "scraps" for decades. This wouldnt be giving us scraps, this would be giving us a new more effective and REALISTIC option!

I agree with Far Rock Depot. Though it only would help for the normal Rockaway-people. The people from Far Rock can just take the LIRR (yes, I know, more expensive but it's at least a less-crowded alternative).

I agree with Far Rock Depot. Though it only would help for the normal Rockaway-people. The people from Far Rock can just take the LIRR (yes, I know, more expensive but it's at least a less-crowded alternative).

Exactly. Ive used that option in the past myself. And unless your right near the LIRR, a bus is required to get to the LIRR. THe least-cost option for both the MTA AND the average Rockaway commuter, going to manhattan or not, is to just have it reach QB and connect to other lines there.

we all wanted a one seat ride to manhattan, but being a rockaway resident since 1990 till this past fall, i KNow that we just want a second and possibly faster option. ive also took the time to learn its history and its transit patters though the years. i never said it will only get steady use during the summer, i said it will get its HIGHEST use. Heres why it WONT fail:

Have you ever rode the Q53? I use to be a daily user since its Triboro days. Year round Rockaway residents frequent this route causing the constant crowding on that line. Plus, there are those who take the subway to woodside to use the Q53 instead of shlepping thru brooklyn on the A. So how am i contradicting when its coming from someone who KNOWS and USES rockaway transit. The Q53 was created too replace the LIRR. And if we all supposedly WANT a one seat ride, wheres all the added QM16/17 allday like it was Staten Island service?

Why were the Q21 buses extended to Queens Center and not any farther? Why isnt the Future Q52 going into manhattan? As someone who uses and knows the rockaways, I know for a fact the majority who use woodhaven\x-bay service is to reach the area and connecting services at Queens Bl.

Your argument is based on the assumption that all of us want this for a direct one seat ride to Manhattan. The fact is, we will be happy with just a faster option as long as we dont have to take a bus, nor go thru brooklyn to reach the northern parts of queens.

BTW, i gave a quick summery on how you can connect to the QBL. If you really wanna foam, look elsewhere. 20 years of actually using rockaway transit service, will always trump any foaming desires.

Look, I'm not foaming, I want to give you guys a better option than this, but you are shunning me. It'll cost no more than what you are proposing, and you are fighting it!

(Well, I have noticed some members are not open to other ideas... <_< )

How is a rockaway residents idea isnt ideal? we have already gotten "scraps" for decades. This wouldnt be giving us scraps, this would be giving us a new more effective and REALISTIC option!

Give me one reason why extending the (G) isn't realistic.

It seems like there are no easy answers here. Listed out now.

1. (G) extension to the Rockaway Branch using the local tracks of the Queens Boulevard Line. Could always have a chance of being removed or service could be slashed. Not stable.

2. (G) extension to the Rockaway Branch using a new set of tunnels under the Queens Boulevard Line. Cost is expensive, construction would be long, and delays would take place during construction along with noise and other things.

3. (M) extension to the Rockaway Branch using current conditions with extra trains per hour. Frequent, but long and circuitous. No delays, and direct access to Manhattan. However the swirl it would make on the map makes it a challenging route.

4. LIRR service to start again. Can't run down to Rockaway Beach unless if it get's it's own bridge and what not which is expensive. Much more expensive to ride than the subway, not affordable to everyone, but it would be the fastest option to get to Manhattan once East Side Access comes online.

So the choice is here. Now it's up to what is the people's choice.

1. (G) extension to the Rockaway Branch using the local tracks of the Queens Boulevard Line. Could always have a chance of being removed or service could be slashed. Not stable.

2. (G) extension to the Rockaway Branch using a new set of tunnels under the Queens Boulevard Line. Cost is expensive, construction would be long, and delays would take place during construction along with noise and other things.

3. (M) extension to the Rockaway Branch using current conditions with extra trains per hour. Frequent, but long and circuitous. No delays, and direct access to Manhattan. However the swirl it would make on the map makes it a challenging route.

4. LIRR service to start again. Can't run down to Rockaway Beach unless if it get's it's own bridge and what not which is expensive. Much more expensive to ride than the subway, not affordable to everyone, but it would be the fastest option to get to Manhattan once East Side Access comes online.

The (M) seems to be the best choice, but it could be truncated to 2nd Avenue and have a new line service Middle Village...

Its one thing to be open to ideas. Its another that the proposed ideas are not only not realistic, but based NOT for its intended target. All of these extentions, tunneling and patterns for Rockaway residents are based on the posters Fantasy. HOw many here have lived in Rockaway? The article posted was to advocate the re-opening the RoW for easier access to northern Queens from Rockaway. How did that, turn into "We need a one seat ride to Manhattan" from those who most likely never lived down there? As a rockaway resident, its good to have those who want to improve our transit situation. Its another thing to post plans that are not in the honest best benefit to those riders. Ive lived in Rockaway. Ive suffered thru the crappy service, lack of service, and simple proposals that shoulve been done, but havent. But improvement are slowly coming. And those improvement come at a cost. What we as rockaway residents want is a better option, not perfection. If we could get perfection, wheres the one seat ride to the airports, the SBS buses on every major corridor. You guys argue about whos plan would work and whos is better when no one in that argument is listening to the ONE ROCKAWAY RESIDENT WHO ACTUALLY KNOWS the terrain, patterns, history and services. Who best to speak on behalf of rockaway commuters that a rockaway commuter?

And sometimes, a one seat ride isnt the best option if one wants an idea to become reality. fact is, the majority of users of the proposed service via the Row wont be going past QB. Thats fact!

Wheres the truncated idea? You know, just having service from Rock Pk to the QBL without connecting it for thru service to manhattan? And im betting that actual rockaway residents wouldnt mind that idea.

No it does not. The Crosstown Line has no access to the express tracks whatsoever.

Yet again, not reading the post properly. Please revisit it and apology accepted. Thank you.

It solves neither "problem" (are they even problems to begin with?). You have the G turning into a glorified shuttle between the Rockaways and Roosevelt Ave via super-express tracks (new construction reqired). Then you have another service, which you call K, operating between Church and Court Square or 71st Ave. Is there a difference between your K service and the present G service, other than having it possibly continue to 71st Ave (like the G used to)? Would your K service run via Manhattan? Because if not, you won't be able to run the F express between Church and Bergen.

The "problem" seems to be the lack of said service.

Heres a problem i see: how is the G to run from Roosevelt to 71st then to the rockaways when the Row is basically between Woodhaven and Rego Park stations??

THe biggest complaint is that people look at maps to make up services yet this one in particular is even missing the map perspective.

And who said that the concept of This RoW service HAS to be used by a current QB line???

When I say that it solves the problem, I mean that it allows the Viaduct to run an Express and Local line, while this Rockaway thing comes through. I am sorry for not clarifying.

Give me one reason why extending the (G) isn't realistic.

Ill give you a couple.

1) the G was shortened for a reason, Queens Bl riders di indeed need as many trains to manhattan as it can hold.

2) even Roadcruiser stated that the G is 'not stable'. that line has gotten cut, extended, and cut more times than a head of hair. Its unreliable. you said us rockway residents shouldnt get scraps. thats exactly what semding the G train would do.

3) the longer you make a subway line, the more likely the line gets screwed up because of delays. and with the G, well, see number two.

4) for someone promoting a one seat ride to manhattan, thats the wrong line to choose.

The (M) seems to be the best choice, but it could be truncated to 2nd Avenue and have a new line service Middle Village...

Really?

lets go back to the numbers:

1) the MTA combines the V and M for a reason. to turn the M back into basically the V and "create" a new line for middle village will not only undo this, but now youll have ridgewood residents again cause an uproar. "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it"

2) i said it before and ill say it again, does anyone here live or frequent rockaway? if not, then who are you to say what we want?

now, i know im beginning to beat a dead horse with a stick but c'mon kids! Lest be realistic here. Lets look at how the residents and the MTA would see it. Seriously. And before i yet again get accused of turning down ideas that arent mine (kettle calling the pot, hot IMO), when i see an idea that can actually work, ill be on it like yellow on rice!!! Now if you really wanna see my idea, ill work on it tonight and post it here with maps, statistics and all! Remember, this idea isnt new. And well, the MTA is crying broke. IF we as enthusiists want to see our ideas become reality, they gotta be realistic. They gotta provide the solutions to whats demanded by the riders. Not the buffs. My 2 cents on what should be done is based on riders patterns, and the added extra of actually being from rockaway!!

Ill give you a couple.

1) the G was shortened for a reason, Queens Bl riders di indeed need as many trains to manhattan as it can hold.

2) even Roadcruiser stated that the G is 'not stable'. that line has gotten cut, extended, and cut more times than a head of hair. Its unreliable. you said us rockway residents shouldnt get scraps. thats exactly what semding the G train would do.

3) the longer you make a subway line, the more likely the line gets screwed up because of delays. and with the G, well, see number two.

4) for someone promoting a one seat ride to manhattan, thats the wrong line to choose.

Really?

lets go back to the numbers:

1) the MTA combines the V and M for a reason. to turn the M back into basically the V and "create" a new line for middle village will not only undo this, but now youll have ridgewood residents again cause an uproar. "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it"

2) i said it before and ill say it again, does anyone here live or frequent rockaway? if not, then who are you to say what we want?

now, i know im beginning to beat a dead horse with a stick but c'mon kids! Lest be realistic here. Lets look at how the residents and the MTA would see it. Seriously. And before i yet again get accused of turning down ideas that arent mine (kettle calling the pot, hot IMO), when i see an idea that can actually work, ill be on it like yellow on rice!!! Now if you really wanna see my idea, ill work on it tonight and post it here with maps, statistics and all! Remember, this idea isnt new. And well, the MTA is crying broke. IF we as enthusiists want to see our ideas become reality, they gotta be realistic. They gotta provide the solutions to whats demanded by the riders. Not the buffs. My 2 cents on what should be done is based on riders patterns, and the added extra of actually being from rockaway!!

OK, I'm done with this whole issue and the narrom-minded ideas. Extending the (S) will do nothing. That is my final post in this thread...

how would it do nothing? if you cananswer the following questions, i will publically apologize to you for debating against you. seriously! ask any one here.

1) have you ever lived in rockaway?

2) if so, has it been for 20 years or more?

3) do you know that every little thing the MTA does costs money? even every little screw? This is what was told to me by NYCT engineers. Not just once, but many many times. I was an intern and kept good friends of them long after. Call it "insiders knowledge". Ive learned everything ive learned by asking questions and listening. Its also how one would get through "School Car". "A wise man does not know all the answers, but asks all the questions." Thats good advice for everything. Everything cost money....ESPECALLY in "the future". Perfect example: The R-11's. In the early 40s, this was dubbed "The Million Dollar Train" It was $100,000 a car and only 10 were made. Now your average NTT is $1.3 Million a car. A frakkin car! the original subway line that opened up in 1904 started construction in 1901! From City Hall to 145th ST in 3 years. Its taking how ling for a now one-stop extention of the 7? And lets not get started on SAS! That line was cursed like the Red Sox and the NY Rangers!!

Listen everyone. Especially ThrexxBus and Roadcruiser and anyone else that getsthe doo-doo end of the stick here: real talk, you gotta understand, what you receive from us veterans, me included, is not really personal. Its because, well, we're veterans for a reason A decade ago, something like this wasnt an option. we had to learn the HARD way! Now all one has to do is Googoe and even then its still not definite! Anyone can post info online *cough* WIKI!!! *cough* some of us were lucky and at some point was in the "inside". Dont take it personal if we start to rant about the assinine ideas bein posted and, ironically, being ignored over "Google Map" idea posters. Back when forums became the norm, heads with experience were listend to, learned from, and respected. Its a different time now. Those here who cry "well i guess there are some here who refuse to listen to others ideas" are usually "those who throw stones in glass houses". If you dont know what that means, "Google it".

If you want to post an idea that really a "fantasy" please by all means do so but in forums, it should be common sence to let it be known its a fantasy. An "If we had a butt-load of money". Seriously. THe posts all over the forums only says "it wont cost that much and it can be done". Truth is, no.

Its no wonder why threads get locked so quickly and so often. Im shocked this one hasnt yet.

There's no reason to lock this thread.....yet. I'm interested in the article writers opinions and those of other Rockaway or middle Queens residents who would actually use the proposed service. Let's try to keep the focus on the article's pros and cons. Try to keep the fantasy stuff somewhere else. Is a Rego Park-Rockaway line economically feasible? Is the potential ridership base there for such a line? I think that's what we should focus on. It appears that the ridership base from the Rockaway peninsula is on the increase so that should be considered also. Are there potential drawbacks (besides money) to the plan? IMO that's where this discussion should go. Carry on.

My idea: A Queens Crosstown line similar to the (G). Call it the (H) to make it conveniently work with the lettering scheme. It runs from Rockaway Park to Roosevelt Blvd via Rego Park. One could even end it at Rego Park in the interim while a new track connection to the Queens Blvd Line was built. If there was more cash to throw around, send it north to LaGuardia.

Roadcruiser, You do realized you basically contradicted yourself. YOUR plan to extend the M is the opposite of you stating clearly over and over again in this thread that there will be no room for more trains on QB.

Fact is, even with its new routing to Forest Hills, Theres a reason the MTA does not have that line 24/7 nor will anytime soon. Overnights the QBL is served by an E local, and the 6th ave line has the F 24/7.

To fight fire with fire, heres what would be MY plan if i felt i "ruled the MTA"

Reactivate the RoW. Add An at-grade jct just south of Liberty Jct. some tunneling would be needed on the north end to bring the line to connect to the QBL including a station that can connect to the Rego Pk stop with the future option of making use of the bellmouths for expantion.

The service? Simple, No more Rock Pk S. Instead, a new "Queens Crosstown" route from Rock Pk to Queens Bl, 24/7, with the highest use being during the summer weekends. Its simple, low-cost (compared to the other "ideas" posted here), doesnt require increased QBL capasity and ....heres the kicker....REALISTIC!

And from someone who actually uses Rockaway service!

Except it's not that simple. A new platform would have to be built to terminate the Queens Crosstown service on a separate level so that it won't interfere with current Queens Blvd operations. New tunneling would have to be done because the tunnel stubs between 63rd Drive and 67th Ave (the ones that were built to connect the Rockaway RoW directly into the QB line) were likely not designed to have station platforms built into them. How much new tunneling would have to be done depends on where you'd want to make the the connection with the QBL.

I don't think shuffling around the (F) and (G) [as said above] as well as introduce whatever said line from Court Square to Coney Island or what not would work. As said on previous arguments, whether or not direct Manhattan service is provided or not. Here are several rail-based alternatives I envisioned:

Heavy Rail (with Manhattan & QBL Service):

-Rockaway (S) -> Letter Change -> (H). Route: Rockaway Park via Howard Beach, via Aqueduct, via Woodhaven Blvd. parallel [or ex-LIRR Rockaway ROW], via Queens Blvd. Local, via 8th Ave. Express (or Local), last stop Lower East Side - Second Ave. Line ends at a new Rego Park Station by the LIRR ROW on Weekends and Late Nights. New LIRR station would also be built at Rego Park for transfers to the (H).

*This pattern would carry a direct alternate connection from the Rockaways/JFK Airport to Midtown, Port Authority Bus Terminal and Penn Station. Would also partially enhance LGA Access with connections to the Q72 Bus in Rego Park, and Q33 and Q47 Bus at Jackson Heights.

*Queens Blvd. Line, 6th Ave. and 8th Ave. Lines as well as the 53rd and 63rd St. Lines will need schedule enhancements.

Heavy Rail (without Manhattan service/with QBL Service):

-The Extended and Enhanced (G) Service Route: Rockaway Park via Howard Beach, via Aqueduct, via Woodhaven Blvd. parallel [or ex-LIRR Rockaway ROW], via Queens Blvd. Local, via Crosstown and Culver Viaduct, last stop Kensington - Church Ave.

*This pattern would partially enhance LGA Access with connections to the Q72 Bus in Rego Park, and Q33 and Q47 Bus at Jackson Heights.

*Only QBL would need schedule enhancements.

Heavy Rail (without Manhattan & QBL Service):

-Rockaway (S) -> Letter Change -> (H). Route: Rockaway Park via Howard Beach, via Aqueduct, via Woodhaven Blvd. parallel [or ex-LIRR Rockaway ROW], last stop is at a new Rego Park Station by the LIRR ROW. New LIRR station would also be built at Rego Park for transfers to the (H). This line would be completely outdoors, and would not require new infrastructure to connect the ROW to the QBL.

*This pattern would partially enhance LGA Access with connections to the Q72 Bus in Rego Park.

Light Rail (without Manhattan & QBL service/operates separate to the Subway):

-New +"LR1" Select Rail Service+ introduced, operates from Howard Beach - JFK Airport to Rego Park - 63rd Drive @ LIRR via Aqueduct and Woodhaven Blvd. Parallel [or Ex-LIRR Rockaway ROW]. This light rail operates on the center tracks on the (A) Line, require infrastructure realignments and new platforms to fit the Light Rail.

*This pattern would partially enhance LGA Access with connections to the Q72 Bus in Rego Park. *Could use SBS [or HBLR/Newark Light Rail] like payment systems.

Note: No Build/BRT not included and not neededin this discussion.

Looks like my community's NIMBYism is in full effect, so Heavy Rail will be out of the question...

"Rockaway Line Plan Not Popular with Local Leaders

City Councilwoman Karen Koslowitz has come out strongly against a reported plan to revive the Rockaway Line, a former commuter rail that has been defunct in Queens for more than 50 years.

The line, which currently bisects parts of southern Forest Hills, among other neighborhoods, has been the subject of many competing plans, including one to turn it into a Queens version of the famous High Line park in Manhattan.

At the Forest Hills Civic Association meeting this week, Koslowitz said the plan to revive the line would be too disruptive to residents who’ve made their homes just feet away from the former railroad.

“It will affect this neighborhood in a very, very bad way,” Koslowitz said. “People’s homes are there, we do not want the value of our houses to go down the drain.”

Civic President Barbara Stuchinski agreed, saying her group would work against any plan that involved adding more trains to the community.

“There’s no money to build it, there’s no reason to build it,” Stuchinski said. “We will fight it.”

The revived railroad could potentially be used to shuttle gamblers and tourists to the proposed convention center at Aqueduct Racetrack.

In a question and answer session with City Councilwoman Elizabeth Crowley, who was on hand to discuss the upcoming Democratic primary, some neighborhood residents expressed an interest in exploring the possibility, given the economic boost it could give the borough.

Crowley was noncommittal, saying she was in favor of the plan to build a convention center, but that the city needed to hedge its bets when it came to getting people there.

“I think we have to explore all options as it relates to the best proposal of getting people to and from the convention center, and I’m not in supportive of an idea that’s going to disrupt people’s lives [who] live in an area that was once a train but is now just a dormant area,” Crowley said. "

Source Link: http://foresthills.patch.com/articles/rockaway-line-plan-not-popular-with-local-leaders

My idea: A Queens Crosstown line similar to the (G). Call it the (H) to make it conveniently work with the lettering scheme. It runs from Rockaway Park to Roosevelt Blvd via Rego Park. One could even end it at Rego Park in the interim while a new track connection to the Queens Blvd Line was built. If there was more cash to throw around, send it north to LaGuardia.

And again where is the money to do that. It's just another bad idea. For now just no idea. Let's all brainstorm here. Instead of pouring something stupid now we all need to think.

Looks like my community's NIMBYism is in full effect, so Heavy Rail will be out of the question...

"Rockaway Line Plan Not Popular with Local Leaders

City Councilwoman Karen Koslowitz has come out strongly against a reported plan to revive the Rockaway Line,a former commuter rail that has been defunct in Queens for more than 50 years.

The line, which currently bisects parts of southern Forest Hills, among other neighborhoods, has been the subject of many competing plans, including one to turn it into a Queens version of the famous High Line park in Manhattan.

At the Forest Hills Civic Association meeting this week, Koslowitz said the plan to revive the line would be too disruptive to residents who’ve made their homes just feet away from the former railroad.

“It will affect this neighborhood in a very, very bad way,” Koslowitz said. “People’s homes are there, we do not want the value of our houses to go down the drain.”

Civic President Barbara Stuchinski agreed, saying her group would work against any plan that involved adding more trains to the community.

“There’s no money to build it, there’s no reason to build it,” Stuchinski said. “We will fight it.”

The revived railroad could potentially be used to shuttle gamblers and tourists to the proposed convention center at Aqueduct Racetrack.

In a question and answer session with City Councilwoman Elizabeth Crowley, who was on hand to discuss the upcoming Democratic primary, some neighborhood residents expressed an interest in exploring the possibility, given the economic boost it could give the borough.

Crowley was noncommittal, saying she was in favor of the plan to build a convention center, but that the city needed to hedge its bets when it came to getting people there.

“I think we have to explore all options as it relates to the best proposal of getting people to and from the convention center, and I’m not in supportive of an idea that’s going to disrupt people’s lives [who] live in an area that was once a train but is now just a dormant area,” Crowley said. "

Source Link: http://foresthills.p...h-local-leaders

These people did it illegally, and they want to keep doing things on it illegally.

Archived