Best article I've read about reactivating the Rockaway Beach line

The (H) would replace the (S) and the (A) would no longer run to Rockaway Park. That'll only be 9 TPH on the (A) at peak hours.

The people who live around LGA don't want a subway or Air-Train, so I don't think a (H) would go past QBL.

What about Far Rockaway bound (A) trains?

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I explained that, re-read the post...

Aside from LIRR, The Far Rockaway (A) is the only train the gives Far Rockaway and certain parts of Nassau County a service to Manhattan and Brooklyn. If you make the Far Rockaway (A) run on peak hours, then people will get angry.

Aside from LIRR, The Far Rockaway (A) is the only train the gives Far Rockaway and certain parts of Nassau County a service to Manhattan and Brooklyn. If you make the Far Rockaway (A) run on peak hours, then people will get angry.

I never said that...

I meant all Rockaway trains on the (A) would go to Far Rockaway...

There isn't going to be an (H) either okay. A lack of connection to the subway system guarantees that.

We were just discussing it. You don't need to come and have a negative attitude.

It wasn't at the top of my list anyway...

I explained that, re-read the post...

I think you need to re-read my post. The (M) is not the best idea at all. All you need to to would be to take the (J) to Broadway Junction, back for the (A), then the (M). It is a worthless idea.

The (H), which I was for in the beginning along with the (G), stands the greatest in my eye.

I do agree about the (G), but I do see what he means about the (M). I mean no one (other than railfans) are going to ride a line end to end unless they really don't want to transfer. With the (M) now, a person can just take a Q38 to get from one end of the line to close to the end of another. So even here no one is going to ride the (M) end to end.

But either way I don't think the (M)(R) should be extended at all.

I think you need to re-read my post. The (M) is not the best idea at all. All you need to to would be to take the (J) to Broadway Junction, back for the (A), then the (M). It is a worthless idea.

The (H), which I was for in the beginning along with the (G), stands the greatest in my eye.

How is an (H) line valuable? It would be nothing more than a glorified shuttle moving people from the Rockaways to Woodhaven. It's not going to help anyone. It should be connected to another subway line...

How is an (H) line valuable? It would be nothing more than a glorified shuttle moving people from the Rockaways to Woodhaven. It's not going to help anyone. It should be connected to another subway line...

But.... that's what the (G) is.

But.... that's what the (G) is.

The G was a Crosstown Local that ran from 71st Continental to Smith and 9th Streets until the MTA made the G terminate at Court Square. Now, it goes from Court Square to Church Avenue, at least until the Culver Viaduct gets rehabilitated, and the G goes back to terminating at Smith/9th. The G feels like a shuttle because the MTA doesn't know what to do with the route.

Knowing the (R) is unreliable and way too long and (to me anyway) the likelihood that Genting (parent company of Resorts World) would want any new service serving Aqueduct via Queens Boulevard to also service lower Manhattan (which to many from outside the US like Genting is still looks at it as the financial district even if we know better), that's why I would have a new (W) train operate 24/7 between Whitehall Street and Rockaway Park and make other changes noted previously (I'm also assuming if this line does come into existence, the SAS will be in operation by the time that happens).

Knowing CB6 in Queens, I don't think Heavy Rail is going to go thru, I might even have a hard time promoting a Dedicated BRT Busway ~or~ LRT Railway. Why am I promoting Light Rail is simply because of these reasons:

-Operationally Sustainable, gateless payment system, use of +SBS+-Like Machines for payment. Can operate efficiently and based on demand and will not need several operators to operate the equipments, it's an eazy and simple link and go thing.

-Addresses noise concerns, will help mitigate train to track noise, and train propulsion noise due to super-quiet engines and smooth track and track beds.

-Environmentally Friendly, will blend in with the environment, cost and material usage will be lower due to low platform construction, will not affect wildlife and existing conditions in Forest Park.

-Modern alternative to Heavy Rail, better choice when compared with BRT, perhaps even Heavy Rail!

Knowing CB6 in Queens, I don't think Heavy Rail is going to go thru, I might even have a hard time promoting a Dedicated BRT Busway ~or~ LRT Railway. Why am I promoting Light Rail is simply because of these reasons:

-Operationally Sustainable, gateless payment system, use of +SBS+-Like Machines for payment. Can operate efficiently and based on demand and will not need several operators to operate the equipments, it's an eazy and simple link and go thing.

-Addresses noise concerns, will help mitigate train to track noise, and train propulsion noise due to super-quiet engines and smooth track and track beds.

-Environmentally Friendly, will blend in with the environment, cost and material usage will be lower due to low platform construction, will not affect wildlife and existing conditions in Forest Park.

-Modern alternative to Heavy Rail, better choice when compared with BRT, perhaps even Heavy Rail!

The problem is it would be a seperate grade system unless if the system is made to allow it to be converted into a subway line in the future, and that is way too expensive so no. The only place we will probably see light rail is Staten Island. Nowhere else but there.

Knowing the (R) is unreliable and way too long and (to me anyway) the likelihood that Genting (parent company of Resorts World) would want any new service serving Aqueduct via Queens Boulevard to also service lower Manhattan (which to many from outside the US like Genting is still looks at it as the financial district even if we know better), that's why I would have a new (W) train operate 24/7 between Whitehall Street and Rockaway Park and make other changes noted previously (I'm also assuming if this line does come into existence, the SAS will be in operation by the time that happens).

There's a reason I did not add this in my plan... the only way this will work is if the (R) goes to Bay Parkway-Astoria and the (W) goes 95 St-Rockaway... oh wait! We just relabeled the current (R) as the (W)... <_<

The (G) is the best idea, but it only got a 4.5 out of 10 because of the possible schedule adjustments that would have to be made. The (G) currently has more of a purpose than that (H) idea. Quite frankly, the (G) is similar to the (L), as it has one simple purpose.

But light rail on the Rockaway Line will have to operate on separate tracks with separate platforms and only go as far south as Aqueduct using off-the shelf LRVs. Or it will have to use larger, custom-made (more expensive) LRVs that are able to platform at the existing A and Rockaway Shuttle stations in order to be capable of sharing tracks with the A. Joint subway/LR operation to Broad Channel and the Rockaways will require erecting catenary over the existing tracks between Liberty Junction and Hammel's Wye and removing third rail from Hammel's Wye to Rockaway Park and replacing it with catenary. It would be too many added expenses.

I like the (H) idea. I'd have that terminate on some new outer tracks at 63rd Drive - Rego Park, or have it run to 2 Avenue, but that does cause congestion at 53rd street (E)(H)(M) and W4th (F)(M). Eighth Avenue would be like Sixth in that it would have two local and two express, though. Queens Blvd is full (two locals, two express), so the (G) is out. The (R) is too infrequent and would be a very long local route, and the (M)'s route would be ridiculous, enough said.

I like the (H) idea. I'd have that terminate on some new outer tracks at 63rd Drive - Rego Park, or have it run to 2 Avenue, but that does cause congestion at 53rd street (E)(H)(M) and W4th (F)(M). Eighth Avenue would be like Sixth in that it would have two local and two express, though. Queens Blvd is full (two locals, two express), so the (G) is out. The (R) is too infrequent and would be a very long local route, and the (M)'s route would be ridiculous, enough said.

Again, no one has said the (A) is ridiculous, so how is the (M) ridiculous? There's a reason I gave it 8/10, aproxx.

The (A) isn't ridiculous because it does not loop around itself, and it actually serves everywhere except for the Bronx. It has a complement Local line (C) for all the haters too. The (M) is just a huge circle back into Queens/Brooklyn, going down to Rockaway.

From reading everything here, cut the (H), I go with the (G).

Archived