Best article I've read about reactivating the Rockaway Beach line

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO, the 2nd heavy rail idea of yours (involving the (G) ) seems like the best option.

Yep, it is the best overall, however as again, I posted that opposition from CB6 [which I reside in]. I pretty much expected this opposition despite people below Myrtle Ave. supporting rail service. What I think would be a viable alternative to the (G) concept/option is my light rail concept/option.

Currently with the way manhattan is, I don't think there is room for a 5th Queens-Manhattan line. So I think the (G) makes the most sense as the main point is to get people to another subway line to Manhattan. Basically Queens needs another north-south branch and it's either the (G) serving both sides of Queens or an extended (H) to terminate somewhere under QB like around Woodhaven.*

*which if it is a set up for a Queens Super express down the whole length of QB, might not be such a bad thing.

I know what I said...

I like the (G) extension idea. Those people along the north side of the RoW need to chill. The whole world dosen't revolve around them. I hate people like that. They want to stop this at the expense of Rockaway riders...

Looks like my community's NIMBYism is in full effect, so Heavy Rail will be out of the question...

"Rockaway Line Plan Not Popular with Local Leaders

City Councilwoman Karen Koslowitz has come out strongly against a reported plan to revive the Rockaway Line,a former commuter rail that has been defunct in Queens for more than 50 years.

The line, which currently bisects parts of southern Forest Hills, among other neighborhoods, has been the subject of many competing plans, including one to turn it into a Queens version of the famous High Line park in Manhattan.

At the Forest Hills Civic Association meeting this week, Koslowitz said the plan to revive the line would be too disruptive to residents who’ve made their homes just feet away from the former railroad.

“It will affect this neighborhood in a very, very bad way,” Koslowitz said. “People’s homes are there, we do not want the value of our houses to go down the drain.”

Civic President Barbara Stuchinski agreed, saying her group would work against any plan that involved adding more trains to the community.

“There’s no money to build it, there’s no reason to build it,” Stuchinski said. “We will fight it.”

The revived railroad could potentially be used to shuttle gamblers and tourists to the proposed convention center at Aqueduct Racetrack.

In a question and answer session with City Councilwoman Elizabeth Crowley, who was on hand to discuss the upcoming Democratic primary, some neighborhood residents expressed an interest in exploring the possibility, given the economic boost it could give the borough.

Crowley was noncommittal, saying she was in favor of the plan to build a convention center, but that the city needed to hedge its bets when it came to getting people there.

“I think we have to explore all options as it relates to the best proposal of getting people to and from the convention center, and I’m not in supportive of an idea that’s going to disrupt people’s lives [who] live in an area that was once a train but is now just a dormant area,” Crowley said. "

Source Link: http://foresthills.p...h-local-leaders

Now if they could further elaborate how it would ruin disrupt people lives after it's been built.

And did Crowley really say "that was once a train but is now a dormant area"? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Was the train dormant? Was the train an area? Was the area a train before? As NIMBY as it gets. Can't even use rational language structure.

I know what I said...

I like the (G) extension idea. Those people along the north side of the RoW need to chill. The whole world dosen't revolve around them. I hate people like that. They want to stop this at the expense of Rockaway riders...

Is it even possible for the G trains to swtich onto the A,C, tracks at Hoyt Schemerhorn?

Is it even possible for the G trains to swtich onto the A,C, tracks at Hoyt Schemerhorn?

What do you mean? That has nothing to do with the (G) extension idea!

I am not talking about their houses. As you saw you specifically read they are talking about their backyards. Their backyards illegally runs onto the ROW. They don't want subway service to protect their yards.

The line will literally be in their backyards. What they did is illegal, and if the LIRR or the (MTA) wanted to build there, they'd have to surrender the property.

Guest Lance

The thing is, the city still owns the property on and adjacent to the Rockaway Beach ROW. At no point was that land sold to anyone so it's their own fault they expanded their yards onto the ROW.

I am not talking about their houses. As you saw you specifically read they are talking about their backyards. Their backyards illegally runs onto the ROW. They don't want subway service to protect their yards.

And the city should be allowed to come back in and see where it is exactly. If those backyards are illegal, they could be told "too bad" and have to forfeit those yards because they were not legally theirs to begin with.

Problem is that you create an 'oddball' fleet. Ideally this line should be connected to another heavy rail line in this case being the subway. The train structure came first and I hate to say it, but to them: "tough". They chose to move there and if they don't like it, then they should move to some place more quiet.

Problem is that you create an 'oddball' fleet. Ideally this line should be connected to another heavy rail line in this case being the subway. The train structure came first and I hate to say it, but to them: "tough". They chose to move there and if they don't like it, then they should move to some place more quiet.

As I, Roadcruiser, and Wallyhorse have said, most of their "property" belongs to the city, so if the (MTA) decided to reactivate the line, there's nothing they can really do about it.

As I, Roadcruiser, and Wallyhorse have said, most of their "property" belongs to the city, so if the (MTA) decided to reactivate the line, there's nothing they can really do about it.

Absolutely!!

And if they bought the "property" from someone else, it's a case of buyer beware and they should have done their homework before looking to buy the property.

Its funny how these residents, who are complaining now about the idea of a subway there, probably had The LIRR there as a kid, even after South of Liberty became part of the subway. The problem i see if they fight the city/MTA over the land is that if needed, i believe they can claim "squatters rights" and prolong any development. With all the parks in that area, do they really need a "high line park"?

Perhaps a proposal for a light rail(dispite causing an "oddball fleet") which can run within the high line, is quieter, and may fit in with their "ideal neighborhood" way of life, a better comprimise? although that means rockaway residents may have to add another transfer to their trips, which negates the whole ease of access from rockaway we so seriously want.

Didnt Spock say "The needs of the many........."?

Personally, im about to say frak it to the whole idea

If Robert Moses were alive today, he would have blocked it, citing the same reason...

Moving a bit more on topic:

It's not like the line won't benefit them. The line will have stops in their neighborhood...

Ignoring the NIMBY's, considering their homes are on city property...

A light rail is just as unfeasible as a busway, so, no way...

Here are our options: (All options begin with 5, and can get up to 10 for a score...)

A Rego Park-Rockaway Park (H) line.

Pros:

No worries about messing up QBL traffic or Manhattan subway traffic. +2

Cheaper, as a QBL connection does not have to be built. +1

Cons:

No direct connection to QBL or Manhattan. -2

Final score: 6/10

________

Extend the (G):

Pros:

Direct connection to QBL. +1

Direct connection to Brooklyn. +0.5

Easy transfer to Manhattan-Bound trains. +1

Cons:

No direct connection to Manhattan. -1

May require schedule adjustments on QB. -2

Final score: 4.5/10

________

Extend the (M).

Pros:

Direct connection to QBL, Manhattan, and Brooklyn. +2.5

No schedule adjustments required. +1

Cons:

Winding, looping route. -0.25

Final score: 8.25/10

_________

Extend the (R):

Pros:

Direct connection to afore mentioned areas. +2.5

Cons:

Already long, unreliable route. -2

Schedule adjustments may have to be made because of longer route. -2.

Final score: 3.5/10.

This is my opinion, not final...

Won't the new (H) serving Rego Park and Rockaway Park affect the (A) and the S Shuttle?

The (H) would replace the (S) and the (A) would no longer run to Rockaway Park. That'll only be 9 TPH on the (A) at peak hours.

The (H) seems most feasible. The (H) could possibly be Extended from Rego Park, up 63 St to a transfer to QBL and then up Junction Blvd to the (7) or LGA.

The people who live around LGA don't want a subway or Air-Train, so I don't think a (H) would go past QBL.

Archived