Best article I've read about reactivating the Rockaway Beach line

Again, no one has said the (A) is ridiculous, so how is the (M) ridiculous? There's a reason I gave it 8/10, aproxx.

It would kinda be ridiculous. It would look like someone tried to make the Sega Dreamcast logo with a subway route.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly think that the best idea would be to connect the line to the Queens Boulevard line. If they ever do it, then they'll decide what train to run across.

Yes. Even if they do the (H) idea, my plan is when Phase III of the SAS is completed, if ever, a new line would run from the SAS to the Rockaways.

I prefer the H route. But I think the transfer station with the QB line should be at Woodhaven Blvd, which is a major traffic area and bus transfer point. It's also where the Rockaway buses connect with the QB line. Also, Woodhaven was designed to be converted to an express station if needed so if Woodhaven is ever converted, Rockaway H trains can connect directly to the E and F trains.

@Lance Really? The line is paved over as it goes through two parking lots. One for an apartment building complex right beside Forest Park and another for some store on Union Turnpike.

And that was done illegally, so if the City wants to reuse the r.o.w. again, they can, even if the apartment complex or the store objects and stands to lose their parking lots.

8th grade history last year;

If the Government requires your land for something that is supposed to help the people out, they have the constitutional right to seize it, or in our days, negotiate a reasonable price.

It's called eminent domain, but it is used only if the land doesn't belong to the group of people that want to use it. The land these residents are complaining about which is the right of way rightfully belongs to the (MTA). They don't need to say eminent domain because it's already theirs. They can just say you are illegally on (MTA) property and kick them off. Their gardens don't belong there. Trains do.

Also the (H) idea isn't workable because it provides no connections the rest of the subway system. It would end up becoming another (G). The (G) or the (M) should be extended there, but more likely the (G) because then it would make the (G) more useful in the end.

It's called eminent domain, but it is used only if the land doesn't belong to the group of people that want to use it. The land these residents are complaining about which is the right of way rightfully belongs to the (MTA). They don't need to say eminent domain because it's already theirs. They can just say you are illegally on (MTA) property and kick them off. Their gardens don't belong there. Trains do.

Also the (H) idea isn't workable because it provides no connections the rest of the subway system. It would end up becoming another (G). The (G) or the (M) should be extended there, but more likely the (G) because then it would make the (G) more useful in the end.

Okay chief, ain't surprised ur the smart one...

I still stand with the (G) or (H), they both present great ideas.

It doesn't matter, chances are they will still transfer at Roosevelt for the express. The point of the (G)/ (H) is so they can run a 5th line without interrupting the other 4. What Rockaway and other parts of Queens needs is a train over a bus to get them to Manhattan. So sure, not better than an express bus, but if people are willing to put up with the transferring, it'd be better than taking multiple local buses to Manhattan.

If the (H) were to end at Woodhaven, they could lay the groundwork for a future trunk line ala Queens Blvd Super express.

Why create the H line to serve Rockaway Park and Rego Park? The MTA should just extend the Rockaway Park S shuttle to Rego Park.

It is the Rockaway (S), but the new line will be much longer than a typical (S). Therefore it'd be better just to rename it. Plus the Rockaway Park (S) is referred to as the (H) by crews and the MTA, so it's not a random designation.

It is the Rockaway (S), but the new line will be much longer than a typical (S). Therefore it'd be better just to rename it. Plus the Rockaway Park (S) is referred to as the (H) by crews and the MTA, so it's not a random designation.

Changing the Rockaway Park S to the H makes sense now. The G on the other hand stays at Court Square.

Without my partial support of my community's decisions, I think the (H) is the best idea in the first phase of service, if service expansion is needed, I think the (G) would be the best in the Long Run since it connects with many lines to Manhattan, as well as serve an alternative route to Downtown Brooklyn from the (A), I'd ride it =]!

The problem is it would be a seperate grade system unless if the system is made to allow it to be converted into a subway line in the future, and that is way too expensive so no. The only place we will probably see light rail is Staten Island. Nowhere else but there.

Well, the gauge of the rails should be the same as the subways, third rail could be installed later but still it's just brainstorming and making sure CB6 would like this idea instead of just throwing transportation on this ROW down the drain.

But light rail on the Rockaway Line will have to operate on separate tracks with separate platforms and only go as far south as Aqueduct using off-the shelf LRVs. Or it will have to use larger, custom-made (more expensive) LRVs that are able to platform at the existing A and Rockaway Shuttle stations in order to be capable of sharing tracks with the A. Joint subway/LR operation to Broad Channel and the Rockaways will require erecting catenary over the existing tracks between Liberty Junction and Hammel's Wye and removing third rail from Hammel's Wye to Rockaway Park and replacing it with catenary. It would be too many added expenses.

Unless if the (MTA) and city build a track-bed that will silence and mitigate vibration, light rail still will be a compromise between residents of Rego Park/Forest Hills [CB6] and the City/Aqueduct Racino and future Convention Center. I know it'll perhaps be somewhat of an expensive new infrastructure but you have to address resident's concerns and such unfortunately. Especially with the power of Forest Hillians [note: a lot of Government people and Diplomats live here] just like Astoria residents. The LIRR already had it's fair share of NIMBY-ism [note: Forest Hills is a Quiet Zone], same for Developers such a Cord Meyer [many high rise apartments were opposed]. As again said, either build a quiet transit alternative or down the drain the entire transit plan goes, and the Queens High Line rises.

Without my partial support of my community's decisions, I think the (H) is the best idea in the first phase of service, if service expansion is

Unless if the (MTA) and city build a track-bed that will silence and mitigate vibration, light rail still will be a compromise between residents of Rego Park/Forest Hills [CB6] and the City/Aqueduct Racino and future Convention Center. I know it'll perhaps be somewhat of an expensive new infrastructure but you have to address resident's concerns and such unfortunately. Especially with the power of Forest Hillians [note: a lot of Government people and Diplomats live here] just like Astoria residents. The LIRR already had it's fair share of NIMBY-ism [note: Forest Hills is a Quiet Zone], same for Developers such a Cord Meyer [many high rise apartments were opposed]. As again said, either build a quiet transit alternative or down the drain the entire transit plan goes, and the Queens High Line rises.

They need to **** off. They are illegally encroaching on city property. I don't care how many diplomats are there. They need to ship out and let the (MTA) do their thing if they decide to reactivate the line. Shock absorbing track beds & ties are expensive, and if the (MTA) can't afford it, they either need to deal with the noise or move somewhere else.

They need to **** off. They are illegally encroaching on city property. I don't care how many diplomats are there. They need to ship out and let the (MTA) do their thing if they decide to reactivate the line. Shock absorbing track beds & ties are expensive, and if the (MTA) can't afford it, they either need to deal with the noise or move somewhere else.

This is the same exact thing as Astoria, either build a quiet option or it's not going to happen. Well, two controversial ex-politicians, Alan Hevesi and Anthony Weiner live here, along with other non-controversial ones like Andrew Hevesi, plenty of Diplomats as well as Celebrities. If you want to build it, good luck, but it's not going to happen because if opposition from CB6 and residents happen before it starts being built, it's never gonna be built unless if we have a compromise that would cause disturbance to the living environment.

The (H) isn't the best plan, extending the (G) is. There is space for the (G) on QBL, and it makes it more useful and services Rockaway riders.

I know, but assuming it's being built in phases, well the (H) starts things off, then it'll be taken over by the (G), but again shock absorbing track bed and ties will need to be built for heavy rail or use light rail as alternative.

Would stringing overhead catenary over the rebuilt portion of the Rockaway line and the active portion currently used by the A and Rockaway Park S trains and acquiring extra-wide LRVs that can safely platform at the active Rockaway Line stations be less expensive than installing this shock-absorbing track bed and ties? If so, then light rail on Rockaway can be a viable alternative.

SEPTA's Norristown High-Speed Line would be a good example of a "third rail, light rail" concept. But to me it's more like the Staten Island Rapid Transit, than any kind of light rail. Even SEPTA classifies the Norristown Line as rapid transit, like the Broad Street and Market-Frankford Lines.

That said, I don't see why LRVs purchased for the Rockaway Branch couldn't have third rail shoes for operation on the active portion of the line from Liberty Junction to Rockaway Park. They would just be more expensive, which they will be because they'd already have to be custom-made to platform at the stations from Aqueduct to Rock Park. Most off-the-shelf LRVs are closer to IRT-sized cars in width.

@Roadcruiser1 - LRVs and subway cars can run on the same tracks. They do in Amsterdam and Cleveland. Probably in other regions around the world too, but those are the two examples I know off the top of my head. Joint subway/LR operation could probably work on Rockaway Line between Liberty Jct and Hammel's Wye too. You just have to use LRVs that run on the same track gauge and that are high and wide enough to reach the existing platforms from Aqueduct to Rock Park (so low-floor LRVs would be out).

We don't need light rail though. An alternative is shock-absorbing ties, or sound barriers b/w homes and the RoW.

(I still believe we should just ignore those ****** NIMBY's and move on...)

We don't need light rail though. An alternative is shock-absorbing ties, or sound barriers b/w homes and the RoW.

(I still believe we should just ignore those ****** NIMBY's and move on...)

Well, the trees are sound barriers, but as we know it, the (MTA) will cut all these down sadly due to the fear of "slippery rail". But I would agree with shock absorbing ties and trackbeds for heavy rail. However, even with noise and vibration mitigation, I am still questioning whether it is going to be moving forward or the NIMBY's will still not want it and stalling it.

Good luck with ignoring the NIMBY's, and I am sure my Good luck is a waste of keyboard life and screen real estate, unless if locals in Forest Hills and Rego Park embrace the new rail line, lol!

Archived