LI Assemblyman Murray Unveils Anti Cyberbullying Bill

Long Island News - "(Long Island, NY) Assemblyman Dean Murray (R,C-East Patchogue) held a joint press conference today with state Senator Tom O’Mara (R,C-Big Flats) and several of his colleagues in the Assembly to unveil the Internet Protection Act (A.8688/S.6779). The legislation would combat cyberbullying by allowing the victim of an anonymous website posting to request that the post be removed if the anonymous source is unwilling to attach his or her name to it.

“While the Internet is a wonderful resource for social networking, sadly it can also used to anonymously bring harm to others,” said Murray. “My legislation addresses the dangers of cyberbullying and protects the victims of this offense. By demanding these online abusers come out from anonymity and identify themselves, they will hopefully think twice before posting harmful comments about others.”

“Cyberbullying has become one of the great tragedies of the Internet age,” said Senator O’Mara, who’s sponsoring the legislation in the Senate. “Numerous national studies tell us that upwards of 40 percent of students have experienced some form of cyberbullying at least once, and they feel helpless in the face of it. Victims of anonymous cyberbullies need protection. We’re hopeful that this legislation can be helpful to the overall effort to deter and prevent anonymous criminals from hiding behind modern technology and using the Internet to bully, defame and harass their victims.”

“Cyberbullying has become an epidemic in this country. With the advancement of social media, bullies are able to attack their victims wherever and whenever they choose. Most of the time, this is done anonymously and the victim is unable to fight back at all,” said Assemblywoman Nancy Calhoun (R,C,I-Blooming Grove). “The Internet Protection Act will allow victims of anonymous bullying to have these posts removed unless the anonymous poster is willing to attach his or her name to them. This will help to expose attackers, who will no longer be able to hide behind anonymous profiles.”

“Cyberbullying is a new reality of which parents and children need to be aware,” said Assemblyman Brian Curran (Lynbrook-14th AD). “This form of bullying is especially harmful due to the perpetrators’ feeling of anonymity, allowing them to be excessively vicious because they do not see the immediate effect on their victim or fear any consequences for their actions. This legislation gives children and their parents the ability to deter the cowardly perpetrators of cyberbullying.”

“The anonymity offered by the Internet amplifies the power of cyberbullying. When one does not know the name of one’s tormentor, the bullying can appear to have no chance of resolution,” said Assemblywoman Janet L. Duprey (R,I,C-Peru). “The Internet Protection Act will allow victims of anonymous bullying to have these posts removed unless the anonymous poster is willing to attach his or her name to them. It will force bullies to come out in the open so victims can confront them, or have their verbal attacks removed from view.”

“Cyberbullying has far-reaching effects on our children, damaging their self-esteem and driving kids to extreme decisions,” said Assemblyman Al Graf (R,C-Holbrook). “If we are going to get serious about protecting our children in the Internet age, state law must properly recognize cyberbullying for the devastating threat it is.”

Source Link: http://www.longislan...rbullying-bill/

As an ex-forum admin and moderator, as well as having a strong stance against cyber-bullying, I fully support the bill. This bill would hold those who cyber-bully accountable for their own actions, this will also teach those teens a lesson they should've listened in school. As the internet has evolved, it went inch-by-inch closer to be almost like a part of a person's off-line life, I think it's about time to introduce such bill. Props to Assemblyman Dean Murray and Tom O'Mara.

Why would you need a bill for this?, you can just use the ignore button or don't go to facebook at all.

Problem is, many parents don't restrict their internet controls for their kids. Plus you have the old being a 'snitch' factor as well for reporting it.

Problem is, many parents don't restrict their internet controls for their kids. Plus you have the old being a 'snitch' factor as well for reporting it.

The whole stop snitching mentality has got to stop, Don't be afraid to speak out for your children, this bill will do nothing to cover a serious proplem like bullying, they will always have lazy parents that don't want to do nothing and lazy techer that don't want to do nothing on bullying

The whole stop snitching mentality has got to stop, Don't be afraid to speak out for your children, this bill will do nothing to cover a serious proplem like bullying, they will always have lazy parents that don't want to do nothing and lazy techer that don't want to do nothing on bullying

I not saying your wrong Regional Bus. You right that parents need to do a better job with montoring their kids. And the crap of snitching has also got to stop in this case. With that said, this proposed bill will make it easier to send to jail those jerks who committ violent acts against those victims of cyberbullying. That what i get the puropse is of this idea.

this proposed bill will make it easier to send to jail those jerks who committ violent acts against those victims of cyberbullying. That what i get the puropse is of this idea.

As long as it physical violent then yes, jerks desvere to go to jail. the only proplem is the verbal abuse, Sometime people can say bad things others like to act like douchebags,or aka trolls, some do mean what they say, some don't, you understand what am saying? I don't want a stuiation were the child is oversensitive trys to convict that person for calling him bad names even though the person didn't mean it but that he or she just fooling around,

Sounds like a convenient way to silence those that you don't agree with.

I What to stop bullying as much anyone, I know, I use to get bulled when I was a kid. but I don't want to get rip of freedom of speech, even if you are a real jerk.

The botton line is tell your children about bullying and tech your kids about repecting others at school. but that will never happen as long as there Lazy parents that don't control there kids behavor and the the teachers that don't report the proplem. Bills like this won't do much.

Well, when you look at the consequences caused by cyber-bullying, and the internet being a big part of our everyday life, there is no way to restrict the web. Facebook is sometimes required as part of a job application, so at the end, this bill is needed because the old days are no more, our society evolved too fast and now the Web is required in our lives no matter what.

Sometimes things aren't preventable by parents, because if a parents spank a kid, it might end up being considered child abuse. So at the end, these cyber-bullies still benefit, they're either gonna screw with another person or get their parents in trouble.

Gotta concur with this.....

Have an anti-cyberbullying bill passed, and you'll have everyone & their mammas online claiming they're being picked on/bullied simply because some sort of disagreement arises b/w them & some other person(s)..... Those who portray themselves as "victims", a.k.a those who start flagging campaigns on sites like YT would love something like this to be passed....... To me, this is an indirect way of shutting up anyone that may have an opposing opinion.....

I mean, way I see it, it won't be much different from the way restraining orders are used & abused in this country.... Nowadays, people (screw it, women) are filing for orders of protection for no other reason(s) than to gain a specific advantage over some man that is/was in their lives.... That's not what that's for.... More often than not, it has squat to do with any real fear for these women's or their child's/children's livelihood.....

While noble, such a bill won't have the desired effect......

I'm about as big on internet freedom as anyone but I'm not seeing your argument here. The bill basically says that you agree to (if necessary) have your name attached to everything you post. I don't know about you, I don't post anything on any forums that I wouldn't let myself be held accountable for. Now in terms of internet privacy, granted I'd rather stay anonymous, but accountability is important and this bill doesn't seem to me to be going too far.

I don't see the point of this bill at all... It's called CYBER-bullying for a reason... The kids of today need to learn how to live a little.

Apparently they don't know what the ignore button is.

If your child using the internet for just Facebook and instant messengers and there oversensitive then they shouldn't be using it, There are a lot of people that are not going to like you, internet and school.

I'm about as big on internet freedom as anyone but I'm not seeing your argument here. The bill basically says that you agree to (if necessary) have your name attached to everything you post. I don't know about you, I don't post anything on any forums that I wouldn't let myself be held accountable for. Now in terms of internet privacy, granted I'd rather stay anonymous, but accountability is important and this bill doesn't seem to me to be going too far.

Whether you want to attach your name to things you have on the internet is your business, not the governments. Considering the prevalence of SLAPPs, individuals must be mindful of efforts to curb our expression. In fact, the Federalist Papers, arguing for the ratification of the Constitution, were published anonymously (at the time...we now know Alexander Hamilton, John Jay and James Madison largely wrote them.)

I mean, way I see it, it won't be much different from the way restraining orders are used & abused in this country.... Nowadays, people (screw it, women) are filing for orders of protection for no other reason(s) than to gain a specific advantage over some man that is/was in their lives.... That's not what that's for.... More often than not, it has squat to do with any real fear for these women's or their child's/children's livelihood.....

While noble, such a bill won't have the desired effect......

Your last paragraph had truth all over it. I totally agree with that order of protection thing...

--------

On-topic: The main idea of this bill is good but then you are going to have people crying foul just because of a little disagreement here and there. It's going to get abused if passed in my opinion...

What was the saying: 'All things starts with the best of intentions...'? As an idea, I can agree. However, it like many other things can be abused through every little issue. The best was to fight bullying is to confront the problem directly or to 'ignore' it.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions....

aye, I'm big on sayings :D

Why would you need a bill for this?, you can just use the ignore button or don't go to facebook at all.

Exactly. I never even bothered to sign up for Facebook. This is the closest thing to Facebook I have.

It's not a matter of Internet controls. It's a matter of self-control. If you see somebody bullying you on the Internet, just do the same thing you'd do in real life: Ignore them. Now, if it persists in real life (and it's not just a little bit of name calling or anything like that), then yeah, it should be reported to the authorities.

Well, when you look at the consequences caused by cyber-bullying, and the internet being a big part of our everyday life, there is no way to restrict the web. Facebook is sometimes required as part of a job application, so at the end, this bill is needed because the old days are no more, our society evolved too fast and now the Web is required in our lives no matter what.

Alright. So Facebook might be required for things like job applications. So what? If somebody keeps on bothering you online then just ignore them. I don't use Facebook, but there's probably some kind of ignore feature on there to make it easier. If you want to read what somebody posts about you, then fine, but at the end of the day, it's only the Internet.

I would think that congress has more important things to do than pass bills to prevent kids from being mean to eachother on the internet...there's something seriously wrong with todays youth if they go so far as to take their own lives because they are being bullied online or in real life.

Great another attempt by the government to control peoples natural urges. If a person is acting like a stupid ass they should by called a stupid ass. Furthermore, I don't believe that people should be shielded from reality--humans will bully each other regardless of what some silly bill says.

Archived