Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

woah brooklynbus that proposal is a complete overhaul of the whole borough but it does tie in to other possibilities

What do you think my proposal is? (Please attempt to use proper grammar when posting in my thread.)

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we eliminate the B14 section of East Parkway and combine it with the B12, thus meaning eliminating E. New York Avenue service, probably reverting by extendeing the Q56 or something, also

B1: Limited stop service along the 86 street Corridor

B2;Eliminated

B3: Retain

B4:Some Evening Service Retained to Knapp Street

B6: Can terminate at Flatlands Avenue at the Junction

B7:Retain

B8: Some service restored alternatively to 95 street

B11: Extended to Ashford Street and New Lots Circle

b12; See above paragraph

B13: Retain

b14:See above

B15: JFK service is limited stop or vice versa, as well as an extra stop at Cross Bay Blvd

B16: Retain

B17: Retain

b24: Restore some weekend hour service

B25/26:B25- Merged with B83. B25/26;- Limited Stop Service Fully along B26 corridor or vice versa

B31: Retain

B35: Regular

B36: Some service merged with B74

B37: Retain Service

B38: Retain

B46: Extend to Delancey/Essex but only with reservation

B44: Extend to Delancey/Essex but only with reservation

B41: Extend to Delancey/Essex Rush Hours via B62 route and B39 old route with reservation

B42/B43: Retain

B45: Retain

More to come........

replies in red.

Can we eliminate the B14 section of East Parkway and combine it with the B12, thus meaning eliminating E. New York Avenue service, probably reverting by extendeing the Q56 or something, also

Yes this is a busy route since the restructure back in '10. With that said, liimited B1 does not work because of the 'el' aka (D) train between 18th Avenue and Stillwell Terminal.

B2;Eliminated

B4:Some Evening Service Retained to Knapp Street-Problem is the ridership to Knapp tanked after 11pm(other Friday/Saturday Nights). Best to run service to/from Knapp until around 11pm 7 days a week and late evening service terminates at Sheapshead Bay (Q) station.

B6: Can terminate at Flatlands Avenue at the Junction-Seems like Q23 you need to travel to Brooklyn buses to ride. It's the Junction at Flatbush/Nostrand.

B7:Retain-Not sure what to do with this route. However weekday "B7" service between Saratoga/Halsey and Kings Highway/CI Ave needs to be maintained.

B8: Some service restored alternatively to 95 street-Agreed. "Short turn" B8's should be IMO at 18th Ave/86th "D" station.

B11: Extended to Ashford Street and New Lots Circle-Why? The "B11" actually ran until around 1988 to/from Rockaway Pwy (L) station. It was cut back due to Boro Park residents near the B11 complained of bus bunching/delays. Plus a high number of "B6" (also w/ B82) travel between SE Brooklyn(East NY, Spring Creek, Canarise) to Bensonhurst.

b12; See above paragraph

B15: JFK service is limited stop or vice versa, as well as an extra stop at Cross Bay Blvd-Limited Stop B15's is only needed rush hours. Not sure if Cross Bay is needed especially since you can transfer to the "Q8" for SE Queens service.

B16: Retain-

b24: Restore some weekend hour service-The only weekend service that should return is running along Greenpoint Ave between the (G) station at Greenpoint Ave/Manhattan and the 46th St/Queens Blvd (7) station in Sunnyside.

B25/26:B25- Merged with B83. B25/26;- Limited Stop Service Fully along B26 corridor or vice versa-Due you want fights young man among riders? The "B25" is already problems with delays/bus bunching. And the "B83 is suppose to be a semi shuttle connecting Gateway/Starret City to Broadway Junction. That it.

B36: Some service merged with B74-The "B74" needs to stay at least weekdays. This route works and no need to merge the B36/B74. Worse case in next fiscal crisis you could can "B74" Sunday service.

B37: Retain Service-Service was cut during the 2010 Doomsday Cuts. Not sure this route will ever return.

B46: Extend to Delancey/Essex but only with reservation-Why? Want 2-plus hour trips between Kings Plaza and the Lower East Side?

B44: Extend to Delancey/Essex but only with reservation-Why? Better off bringing back the B39.

B41: Extend to Delancey/Essex Rush Hours via B62 route and B39 old route with reservation-See my B44/46 coments above.

B45: Retain-Overnight hourly service should be restored.

More to come........

Q23 you need to stick to Queens bus routes.

B2;Eliminated

B4:Some Evening Service Retained to Knapp Street

B7:Retain

b12; See above paragraph

B15: JFK service is limited stop or vice versa, as well as an extra stop at Cross Bay Blvd

B16: Retain

B25/26:B25- Merged with B83. B25/26;- Limited Stop Service Fully along B26 corridor or vice versa

B41: Extend to Delancey/Essex Rush Hours via B62 route and B39 old route with reservation

B45: Retain

More to come........

B1: Won't work, see Shortline Bus.

B4: More than that needs to be done. (i.e, full time service to Knapp St.)

B6: Check it: Where is the Junction?

B7: You need to frequent Brooklyn more often. That route needs a serious overhaul, or it goes.

B8: One of my ideas, so agreed.

B11: Read Shortline's reply for my shared answer.

B15: That'll be hard with the current headways to each branch. Agree w/Cross Bay Stop though.

B24: Again, read Shortline's post. I even thought of extending the B48 to Sunnyside.

B25: What are you smoking... The B25 is so unreliable as is. Combining it with the B83 will screw riders on both routes.

About LTD service: That won't work. Riders get on at every stop, so many will have to feel the pain on those two routes.

B37: Agreed, but not full time...

B41 to Delancey... that route is messed up as is... do you know the extention that would have to be made to do that? The B39 needs to be restored. We don't need to screw riders on those routes. We don't need three routes going there.

I'm sorry, but Shortline is right. You should stick to Queens and LI.

Edited by ThrexxBus

Kid this is not your thread. It belongs to Harry and all of us. Please remember you not a Mod and be respectful of your comments or else this topic is closed. Thank You

I'm sorry if I came off rude. I just felt that my ideas weren't being taken as seriously as I would have hoped. Despite the source of this, it will not happen again.

Edited by ThrexxBus

B71: Restored and Extended to Lower Manhattan via Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. Service To and from Rogers Avenue will use Sterling Place (Heading to Manhattan) and St. Johns. Place (Heading to Brooklyn) just like the B45. The New B71 will split from the B45 on Washington Avenue and use Eastern Parkway, just like it did in the past.

B2;Eliminated

b12; See above paragraph

B25/26: B25- Merged with B83. B25/26;- Limited Stop Service Fully along B26 corridor or vice versa

More to come........

B1- Don't feel this is necessary....

B6- Might wanna take a look at the google map.... Flatlands av is no where near the junction....

In any event, if you're talking about terminating buses around the junction, some EB B6's already start over on Glenwood/Nostrand....

B8- agreed....

B11- redundant & not necessary w/ all the service the B6 gets.....

B12/B14- Umm.... you do realize you are proposing the killing off of an artery of both of these routes - The B14 to/from Utica av (3)(4) & the B12 to/from Alabama av (J).... Running the Q56 down ENY where you want to kill off the B12 from serving, solves absolutely nothing....

You have no idea how many people would end up waiting at ENY/Utica for the NB B46 just to get to Utica av subway, if you have the 12 & the 14 combined..... Seriously re-think this one over, b/c this is bad.....

B24- The route needs to be restructured somehow; most likely split.... Then & only then do I see weekend service being added to the route....

B25- Heard someone else suggest this a while back; thought it was ridiculous then & I still do now..... The 83's main function is to take starrett city riders to/from B'way junction.... The B25 is a downtown feeder that runs along commercial (and slow) Fulton st..... 2 separate routes, two very distinct purposes.... and the B83 isn't as short as it looks on a map either; it can take 15+ mins to go from Gateway to Cozine, alone....

....and since the B26 uses fulton, you aint goin save much if any time instantiating LTD's on that route....

B35- What exactly do you mean by "regular" ?

B36- Shortchanges Surf av riders, for the sake of a block that already gets adequate service (Mermaid av)...

(yes, that 1 block makes a difference.... ask any CI resident)

B37- Not retained, but reverted.... Some may agree with you on this one

I, don't... The route basically carried air on the stint b/w Bay Ridge & Boerum Hill (not inclusive)..... Too much wasted mileage...\

B41/44/46- Under no circumstances should either of these 3 routes pan into Manhattan....

Worse, you want 41's to pan into manhattan parallelling the B62, en route to the williamsburg bridge..... Don't know what you are thinking here.... This is also a terrible idea.....

Only route I would consider sending over the bridge are selected pike st (the short turn) M15's....

B71: Restored and Extended to Lower Manhattan via Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. Service To and from Rogers Avenue will use Sterling Place (Heading to Manhattan) and St. Johns. Place (Heading to Brooklyn) just like the B45. The New B71 will split from the B45 on Washington Avenue and use Eastern Parkway, just like it did in the past.

NO CNG buses on the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel... (After 9/11)

Unless you got another depot to operate the B71, maybe FB if you want the service, and also NO need for Eastern Parkway bus service..

NO CNG buses on the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel... (After 9/11)

Unless you got another depot to operate the B71, maybe FB if you want the service, and also NO need for Eastern Parkway bus service..

I want the B71 to serve Eastern Parkway between Washington and Grand Army Plaza just like it did in the past. The new B71 will avoid Eastern Parkway past Washington by using Sterling and St. Johns just like the B45.

What do you think my proposal is? (Please attempt to use proper grammar when posting in my thread.)

Did NOT mean to bash you I was referring to the proposals brooklynbus has on his website you should check them out some are very nice others are literally a complete overhaul that are so radical it would make the current brooklyn bus map 80% inaccurate if all were approved. You think your ideas are extreme take a look at this http://brooklynbus.tripod.com/id4.html this is way beyond our feable comprehension. This guy is very specialized and advanced when it comes to brooklyn. Too bad he never branched out into other areas around NYC I really wanted to learn more from him.

Did NOT mean to bash you I was referring to the proposals brooklynbus has on his website you should check them out some are very nice others are literally a complete overhaul that are so radical it would make the current brooklyn bus map 80% inaccurate if all were approved. You think your ideas are extreme take a look at this http://brooklynbus.tripod.com/id4.html this is way beyond our feable comprehension. This guy is very specialized and advanced when it comes to brooklyn. Too bad he never branched out into other areas around NYC I really wanted to learn more from him.

That's what my proposal was based on...

Anyway, my proposal & his proposal are radical because the Brooklyn bus system is seriously messed up.

I want the B71 to serve Eastern Parkway between Washington and Grand Army Plaza just like it did in the past. The new B71 will avoid Eastern Parkway past Washington by using Sterling and St. Johns just like the B45.

Not happening. (3) train does a good job serving the area. That's the main reason why the B71 got eliminated in June 2010.

Even if the MTA has money right now, the B71 will not get reinstated.

B15:Idea 1. Rush Hour Trips to Williamsburg Plaza 6-9AM and 5-8PM

Idea 2: Part Time Service to Crown Heights-Utica Avenue

B51:Operate between City Hall in Manhattan and Kings Plaza in Brookyln via Flatbush Avenue

B69: Service along Prospect Park W. and 8th Avenue restored. The B69 will still serve Kensington.

Not bad, not bad...

From Bed Stuy or JFK/Postal Fac? I'm not sure how many people would use this.

B51:Operate between City Hall in Manhattan and Kings Plaza in Brookyln via Flatbush Avenue

Too long, the B51 can connect to the B41 Downtown.

B69: Service along Prospect Park W. and 8th Avenue restored. The B69 will still serve Kensington.

This will require an increase in B67 service to pre-2010 levels as well. Plus, traffic on Prospect Park W. is hell.

That idea may work, to help out the B46 during the AM rush.

B14 already serves the area. I don't think B15 riders would not want to have that, and in addition there's traffic on Eastern Parkway

(I agree with Threxx bus on this one)

REPLIES in red..

What's this for, to help the B46? You don't want to add more buses to the pile up that Broadway causes during middays, and there's enough 46s that head up to the bridge anyway. The only way their held up is due to traffic, ADAs, etc. Otherwise, the demand isn't there. Besides, you have the J train there too.

Instead of using the layover on 87th St for the B1 and the pickup point where the B16 stops on 4th Av, why not extend the B1 all the way west along 86th St to Shore Rd & 86th St,

This would give Ft.Hamilton High School students and workers direct access to the school and give them another bus route over the B16.

This would not have to give up parking spaces on 87th St to layover the B1 and this would avoid the B1 having to travel down 87th St which is always a congested street with Century 21 Department Store and sometimes the B1 causes delays along 87th St not only by Century 21 but with people having to double park along 87th St.

I hope that NYCT can change their minds & extend the B1 to Shore Rd by this September.

Any comments or if any of you have heard of something new, please post.

That was one of my ideas, we think alike!

Residents out there don't even really want the B16 out there though... they'd flip if they extended the B1.

If my memory serves me correctly, the B/64 in the early 1950's was extended to 86th Street and Shore Road then via Shore Road, 83rd Street, Colonial Road and then back on 86th Street. It was discontinued a couple of years later as the route was cut back to 4th Avenue. This proposed extension also means that the B/16 eastbound stop will be where the B/1 will stop now and the antics will be turning there??

Please check the Staten Island bus proposals thread and check out our fellow member Checkmate champ proposal for the S/79. He makes a lot of sense with his proposal and also check out buschat as Community Board 10 is planning to have a meeting with the City Department of Transportation and the Brooklyn and Staten island bus planners to see what could be done to resolve the problem.

Just throwin this out there; an idea that stemmed from a discussion with a co-worker.....

With the opening of Barclay's center, anyone thinks the B65 should utilize washington (from Bergen/Dean sts) & shoot across Atlantic, en route to its terminal (smith/fulton) ???

He (my co-worker) takes the 65 to the 2/3 train every morning (and vice versa coming home).... I personally feel sorry for him, having to deal w/ that commute everyday, on both fronts.... lol.... Anyway, his claim is that a lot of riders are getting off the bus, only to ride it one stop to Atlantic for the other subway lines.....

I asked him what he thought of the B65 going to Broadway junction instead.... He disagreed, and basically said that the 45 is more suitable for that, since 1] it's the "St. John's bus".... 2] the B65 between the subway & ralph av takes longer than the 45 between the subway & ralph av.... 3] the B65 is a route that has a lot of old people riding it, and they cannot afford to stand & wait too long for a bus coming from broadway junction... so ending it at ralph is good for the neighborhood (ocean hill he's referring to).... and 4] the 45 runs better than the 65.....

- for #1, I basically shrugged off; had no comment on it (didn't wanna waste time discussing a meager point)...

- for #2, I said, while true, it could also mean/result in a service increase for you guys.... The 45 has better headways, but buses on that route run few & far between at times....

- for #3, I conceded to the point...

- for #4, I said the 45 has better headways (I then explained what "headways" were to him), but service doesn't run better....

if buses bunch on the 45 (which isn't all that rare; WB during the AM peak & EB during the PM peak), it aint much different than waiting for a 65... B45 riders complain about crummy service more than you guys do on the 65, and y'all get less overall service......

He thinks the 65 should be altered/straightened in one direction, and I think it should be extended in the other.... just found that interesting... Personally, I'm mixed on altering the 65 in that manner he brings up.... I don't wanna go on & on, but basically I called his bluff.... I said you want the 65 moved over to Atlantic so you can take that nice quick ride on the B to work like I do (b/c he knows I abandoned taking the 2 as part of my commute) without having to transfer from bergen @ atlantic.... It has nothin to do with the stinkin (well, I said "damn f****ing") nets & you know it....

his response: yo, you don't know bad the 2 & the 3's gotten son, it's worse... you aint had to put up with this for the past 2 years... and the 1 just stay parked at chambers for 5 minutes now like yo, what the f*** ....

You all don't know how hard I was laughin when he said that..... I'm like, why you think I take the B & get in almost 1/2 hour earlier....

I'm still tryna get him to join the forum, but he's bogged down w/ his 2 seeds... so I don't press him too too much....

Although that exchange went the way it did, it did get to me to second guess wanting to send the 65 there.... Now I'm back to being torn over whether to send the 65 or the 45 there.... For now, on my map, I have the 65 extended there, and I'm fin to leave it for now....

Just wanted to know what you all think of running the B65 straight on Atlantic from [smith/Boerum] to [Washington av], then down washington, back to Dean/Bergen....

Edited by B35 via Church

Just throwin this out there; an idea that stemmed from a discussion with a co-worker.....

With the opening of Barclay's center, anyone thinks the B65 should utilize washington (from Bergen/Dean sts) & shoot across Atlantic, en route to its terminal (smith/fulton) ???

He (my co-worker) takes the 65 to the 2/3 train every morning (and vice versa coming home).... I personally feel sorry for him, having to deal w/ that commute everyday, on both fronts.... lol.... Anyway, his claim is that a lot of riders are getting off the bus, only to ride it one stop to Atlantic for the other subway lines.....

I asked him what he thought of the B65 going to Broadway junction instead.... He disagreed, and basically said that the 45 is more suitable for that, since 1] it's the "St. John's bus".... 2] the B65 between the subway & ralph av takes longer than the 45 between the subway & ralph av.... 3] the B65 is a route that has a lot of old people riding it, and they cannot afford to stand & wait too long for a bus coming from broadway junction... so ending it at ralph is good for the neighborhood (ocean hill he's referring to).... and 4] the 45 runs better than the 65.....

- for #1, I basically shrugged off; had no comment on it (didn't wanna waste time discussing a meager point)...

- for #2, I said, while true, it could also mean/result in a service increase for you guys.... The 45 has better headways, but buses on that route run few & far between at times....

- for #3, I conceded to the point...

- for #4, I said the 45 has better headways (I then explained what "headways" were to him), but service doesn't run better....

if buses bunch on the 45 (which isn't all that rare; WB during the AM peak & EB during the PM peak), it aint much different than waiting for a 65... B45 riders complain about crummy service more than you guys do on the 65, and y'all get less overall service......

He thinks the 65 should be altered/straightened in one direction, and I think it should be extended in the other.... just found that interesting... Personally, I'm mixed on altering the 65 in that manner he brings up.... I don't wanna go on & on, but basically I called his bluff.... I said you want the 65 moved over to Atlantic so you can take that nice quick ride on the B to work like I do (b/c he knows I abandoned taking the 2 as part of my commute) without having to transfer from bergen @ atlantic.... It has nothin to do with the stinkin (well, I said "damn f****ing") nets & you know it....

his response: yo, you don't know bad the 2 & the 3's gotten son, it's worse... you aint had to put up with this for the past 2 years... and the 1 just stay parked at chambers for 5 minutes now like yo, what the f*** ....

You all don't know how hard I was laughin when he said that..... I'm like, why you think I take the B & get in almost 1/2 hour earlier....

I'm still tryna get him to join the forum, but he's bogged down w/ his 2 seeds... so I don't press him too too much....

Although that exchange went the way it did, it did get to me to second guess wanting to send the 65 there.... Now I'm back to being torn over whether to send the 65 or the 45 there.... For now, on my map, I have the 65 extended there, and I'm fin to leave it for now....

Just wanted to know what you all think of running the B65 straight on Atlantic from [smith/Boerum] to [Washington av], then down washington, back to Dean/Bergen....

Could work, and makes sense, but what about Bergen/Dean riders?

Should the 65 run enroute b/w Smith-boerum via Atlantic to Washington? I definitely can agree on this, BUT the affect will be the traffic getiing out of Flatbush. If traffic is controlled right on Flatbush, I can see this going right. AM/PM rush hour + Concert & NETS basketball games would be affected with the traffic. Other times, this would be a good move. Atlantic, for the most part traffic flows alot better than Bergen/Dean.. Both streets are commercial and small.

QUESTION to ALL Should the B45 & B65 be Extended or Merged? to Alabama Ave/Bway Jct. (J)(Z) station.

Here's my answer --> Honestly, to me B45/65 should be EXTENDED to Broadway Junction/Alabama Ave (J)(Z).

You are giving options for customers for a 1 seat ride to the Junction/Alabama Ave which could mean more ridership especially at night when trains run staggered.

Could work, and makes sense, but what about Bergen/Dean riders?

Well...

- Heading back towards ocean hill before it hits Flatbush av, it (the 65) only picks up at 3 stops mainly.... the terminal itself, the 2nd stop over on boerum/joralemon, and over on 5th/dean.... most the current atlantic av ridership is snatched up by the 63....

- Heading towards downtown brooklyn, west of flatbush, it doesn't get good usage at all (those stops along bergen west of f'bush).... That, and buses can take forever to get from smith/bergen to smith/fulton in the morning (which is one reason you have as many ppl getting off at f'bush).... These are the two main reasons why I do side w/ the idea.... The fact that riders would get direct service to Atlantic terminal (and for the nets when they get here) are added bonuses.....

What I don't like about the idea is not so much that dean will be left w/ nothing b/w washington & 3rd, and bergen will be left with nothing b/w washington & smith (basically what you're alluding to)..... Because most the riders that get on the EB 65 within downtown have already gotten on before it hits flatbush; hell, before it even hits Atlantic !.... and you don't really get too many riders on the WB buses staying on past flatbush anyway.....

....but more (exactly) what Future flatbush b/o mentioned; the traffic situation around 4th/atlantic/flatbush.... It's only gonna get worse in the future w/ this stadium here now.... Bad enough the 45 gotta deal with turning onto atlantic off flatbush..... Anyway, even though this idea suggests that the 65 would be straightened along atlantic & it wouldn't have to put up with as much of bergen/dean, Having the 65 cross flatbush av @ bergen/dean does have its benefits.....

All of that is why I'm neutral on this suggestion/idea.......

Should the 65 run enroute b/w Smith-boerum via Atlantic to Washington? I definitely can agree on this, BUT the affect will be the traffic getiing out of Flatbush. If traffic is controlled right on Flatbush, I can see this going right. AM/PM rush hour + Concert & NETS basketball games would be affected with the traffic. Other times, this would be a good move. Atlantic, for the most part traffic flows alot better than Bergen/Dean.. Both streets are commercial and small.

QUESTION to ALL Should the B45 & B65 be Extended or Merged? to Alabama Ave/Bway Jct. (J)(Z) station.

Here's my answer --> Honestly, to me B45/65 should be EXTENDED to Broadway Junction/Alabama Ave (J)(Z).

You are giving options for customers for a 1 seat ride to the Junction/Alabama Ave which could mean more ridership especially at night when trains run staggered.

Your question.... I already came to that conclusion; yes one of those routes should be sent there...

What I'm second guessing is, which one.... b/c I don't think both the 45 and the 65 should run past ralph.....