Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

brooklyn bus do you know about bus service in areas other than brooklyn what about express bus structure and non stop routing

I really don't have the time or interest to get heavily involved in the other boroughs. I try to limit myself to Brooklyn. I also never was really interested in express bus routes. The last time i studied routes elsewhere was Staten Island in the late 1970s. (I can't get multi-quote to work today so I am doing separate posts.)

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The lone idea I have, for a new B28 route between the Red Hook IKEA and the (L) train terminal in Canarise:

B28RevisedMapPicture.png

It allows for easier access to Park Slope, Red Hook and Windsor Terrace from the East, right now the only direct services into those first two neighborhoods are from the North and South. I'm guessing neighborhood residents wouldn't be too happy about this idea since they might it as bringing people from bad neighborhoods or whatever, but I really don't get this unused access, just because of Prospect Park. This route takes a little bit of pressure off the B61, what with less people coming from the area East of Prospect Park and going North to Downtown Brooklyn just to head South again.

It would probably come out of either Jackie Gleason or East New York depot if it were real.

I sort of like your route. It's sort of simple and direct and fulfills a need. The only change I would make is that I would use Clarkson Avenue Eastbound all the way and Winthrop, Utica and Clarkson westbound. The only problem as I told QJ Transit Master is that we can't afford to just add layers of service. It has to be incorporated into the existing system, requiring changes to other routes. You have to come up with a comprehensive system for it to be workable.

I like the idea, Maybe the B42 should be combined with it. To improve service, I would revert the B61 to its pre-January2010 routing. Also the B12 can have reduced headways. Also the Q56 should be extended to New York- Piktin Avenue . B14 can be eliminated and B12 should run to the General Mail Facility.via B14 routing after ENY Avenue and Piktin.B17 trips to the Rockaway Pkwy Station would be eliminated.

Edited by Q23 Central Term

Again Threxx it seems you dont take me serious and are not open to honestly as I am a 39 year old man and you in middle/high school.

So what.....

See, I hate when you resort to this, and you've been doing it for years now... You love using that as a trump card....

Don't underestimate what the younger folk in this transit community know, because of their age....

The wanting to restore weekend service on the x27/28 isn't that preposterous to the point where you have to try to belittle him....

I don't live there, how can I? I've heard that there is a clamor for the MTA to bring back weekend service.

That was his point; you shouldn't bring up an idea based on what you've seen on one occasion....

Anyway, yeah, those folks are clamoring for a restoration of express service.... Honestly, I think weekend service should be brought back on those 2 routes.... The only problem/question is, at what headways & at what span.....

So what.....

See, I hate when you resort to this, and you've been doing it for years now... You love using that as a trump card....

Don't underestimate what the younger folk in this transit community know, because of their age....

The wanting to restore weekend service on the x27/28 isn't that preposterous to the point where you have to try to belittle him....

Thank you, very much.

That was his point; you shouldn't bring up an idea based on what you've seen on one occasion....

Anyway, yeah, those folks are clamoring for a restoration of express service.... Honestly, I think weekend service should be brought back on those 2 routes.... The only problem/question is, at what headways & at what span.....

1 hour headways, and if necessary, the headways can be increased to every half/hour.

To be honest, only thing I like about his "B28" is the fact that it allows for much easier travel between both sides of prospect park....

That was one of the first problems I recognized in Brooklyn when I wrote my masters thesis in 1972, that any trip around the park was an obstacle. I made several proposals to fix it. With the elimination of the B71, it has only gotten worse.

B51: Crown Heights, Ralph Av

City Hall

Via Flatbush Avenue & Eastern Pkway

The new B51. This was originaly B35's idea, so just giving him credit. I think the routing I have in mind is slightly different...

Why does Eastern Parkway need bus service?

B51: Crown Heights, Ralph Av

City Hall

Via Flatbush Avenue & Eastern Pkway

The new B51.

This was originaly B35's idea, so just giving him credit. I think the routing I have in mind is slightly different...

Nah, I have it goin nowhere near eastern pkwy.... matter fact, I'm pretty adamant about it staying w/i the confines of downtown bklyn. on the brooklyn end - since the old 51's ridership consisted of the elderly (women to be specific) coming off the fulton st routes & [off the B65 as well (at its terminal)]....

I don't remember who at the moment, but someone suggested that the 51 should go to atlantic mall, someone else mentioned prospect park subway, and I think someone else mentioned sending the route to gowanus.... all on separate occasions....

Just to clarify, my B51 proposal stems from downtown brooklyn to BMCC....

Why does Eastern Parkway need bus service?

Same question I've long had for those that want to extend the B14 down to the library (flatbush av/eastern pkwy)....

Edited by B35 via Church

No need to have any Eastern Parkway bus service.. The (3) train does a good job already covering Eastern Parkway/Flatbush Avenue Service. So therefore. NO B14 to be extended to the Library. There was the B71 that went down Eastern parkway to Rogers Ave/St Johns Place, ridership was HORRID.

What needs to happen right now is to bring back the B48 to it's existing route to Prospect Park/Empire Blvd. Not feeling this Franklin/Fulton stop. The extra service via Franklin to the park was very good..

Lastly: B103 MAY go on another REVAMP and it could be possibly back to its previous routing via 3rd & 4th Aves.. The Windsor Terrace community are now complaining about buses on 18th street blocking traffic.. From the start, this current re-route was BAD, and now u got the neighbors in Windsor Terr talking about it.

Eastern Parkway is overkill. The B14 should be combined with the B71 using St Johns Place using half the B45 service. Half the B45 riders use it only for St Johns Place, never setting foot into Downtown Brooklyn and those who do could take the subway if they don't mind walking. Others could take the B65 which also goes there. It would also improve reliability on St Johns since buses will not get stuck in Downtown Brooklyn as well as provide many new connections.

Also, I was the one who mentioned that the original B51 was proposed to start at Grand Army Plaza and not just be a bridge shuttle.

I have to agree w/ Future Fla b/o on this one... I don't see the need for bus service along eastern pkwy..... Sure there are bus routes that parallel subway lines which get decent/very good usage, but Eastern Pkwy. I can't fathom being one of them.... too small/too weak of a draw; the stint the old B71 used on eastern pkwy. was a good example of that....

Eastern Parkway is overkill.

The B14 should be combined with the B71 using St Johns Place using half the B45 service.

Half the B45 riders use it only for St Johns Place, never setting foot into Downtown Brooklyn and those who do could take the subway if they don't mind walking. Others could take the B65 which also goes there. It would also improve reliability on St Johns since buses will not get stuck in Downtown Brooklyn as well as provide many new connections.

Don't understand what you're suggesting here.....

Rather than speculate, I'll ask - Could you explain exactly what you would have B14's do.....

Don't understand what you're suggesting here.....

Rather than speculate, I'll ask - Could you explain exactly what you would have B14's do.....

He'd pretty much combine it with the B71. Go up Utica to St. Johns Place and then take St. Johns Place to where it intersects with the B71 route (I think it ended at Bedford/Rogers Avenue & Sterling Place), and then take over the B71 route.

He'd pretty much combine it with the B71. Go up Utica to St. Johns Place and then take St. Johns Place to where it intersects with the B71 route (I think it ended at Bedford/Rogers Avenue & Sterling Place), and then take over the B71 route.

The B71 ended on Sterling at Rogers....

Yeah, I just wanna make sure exactly what he means.....

What needs to happen right now is to bring back the B48 to it's existing route to Prospect Park/Empire Blvd. Not feeling this Franklin/Fulton stop. The extra service via Franklin to the park was very good..

Thought it'd be nice to have the B48 go directly to Prospect Park once more, but MTA saw that as a reduction so they can have folks use the Franklin Avenue Shuttle instead which is parallel to Franklin Avenue and terminates at Prospect Park.

According to their own numbers, the B48 is also much more inefficient since the cutback, with fares paying a smaller percentage of the cost of operation. Riders abandoned the route because it is not so simple just to change to the shuttle. If you were previously using two buses, changing to the shuttle would cost you an extra fare so you are now probably just walking further to other bus routes adding ten or fifteen minutes to your trip and avoiding the B48 altogether unless you have an unlimited pass which less than 50% have. I pointed this out after the cuts regarding the B48 particularly to the New York Times and they quoted me on it.

I also asked Operations Planning why they don't restore service where the cuts made the routes more inefficient and the response was they are saving money and that's all they are concerned with. So if the routes are more Inefficient, they don't really even care.

Edited by BrooklynBus

If you were previously using two buses, changing to the shuttle would cost you an extra fare so you are now probably just walking further to other bus routes adding ten or fifteen minutes to your trip and avoiding the B48 altogether unless you have an unlimited pass which less than 50% have.

Good point. Let me ask this: wouldn't it be convenient to implement a 'free' transfer between the B48 and the Shuttle to compensate for the cutback?