Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

4 blocks. East NY LIRR is actually closer to the Albama (J) station than the Jct. And of course the (L) is right at the premieses of that LIRR station as well.

Just trying to make it easier for why the B65 is extended to the Jct. or even Alabama Ave station that all.

Let's set this straight, b/c there's something you're not quite getting....

Yes, Atlantic Av on the L is close to the LIRR... matter fact, the entrance to the jamaica bound platform & the steps leading to the L train is right there.... That much is true.....

However, the LIRR station is closer to B'way Junction than it is to the alabama av station....

Atlantic Av on the L is no where near Alabama av on the J....

The entrance at Broadway junction is over there off fulton & van sinderen (well technically, it's ON van sinderen)....

There's an underpass that leads to both platforms of the LIRR station on (the northern end of) Atlantic av & van sinderen...... The same side you can't directly reach Atlantic av on the L from.....

The distance between the entrance to the underpass for the LIRR & the Broadway junction entrance is 2 blocks.....This is what Future FLA B/O was referencing......

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As stated the LIRR ENY station is slightly more than two blocks from the Broadway Junction station. After sundown it's one of the most dark,desolate, lonely walks a person can make. The walk from the LIRR station to the buses and subways at that time of day isn't bad but the reverse walk is not for the faint of heart. Going in that direction to catch the e/b LIRR after dark one must know the LIRR schedule in advance and time your walk to arrive at the station just as the sealed beams of the train begin to light up the station. Sometimes you get lucky and the MTA police car is sitting there on the e/b side watching the walkers and the people who wait upstairs in the L train station who also time their walk to meet the railroad. I've made that walk IN BOTH DIRECTIONS countless times in the last twenty years or so and although I'm used to it I never let my guard down in that area . Actually the worst times I've had over there was traveling w/b on the LIRR and getting off at ENY and trying to catch the last B20 or B83 toward Spring Creek. If I missed the buses I'd either catch a cab or catch the L to Rockaway Parkway and wait for the e/b B6.

As stated the LIRR ENY station is slightly more than two blocks from the Broadway Junction station. After sundown it's one of the most dark,desolate, lonely walks a person can make. The walk from the LIRR station to the buses and subways at that time of day isn't bad but the reverse walk is not for the faint of heart. Going in that direction to catch the e/b LIRR after dark one must know the LIRR schedule in advance and time your walk to arrive at the station just as the sealed beams of the train begin to light up the station. Sometimes you get lucky and the MTA police car is sitting there on the e/b side watching the walkers and the people who wait upstairs in the L train station who also time their walk to meet the railroad. I've made that walk IN BOTH DIRECTIONS countless times in the last twenty years or so and although I'm used to it I never let my guard down in that area . Actually the worst times I've had over there was traveling w/b on the LIRR and getting off at ENY and trying to catch the last B20 or B83 toward Spring Creek. If I missed the buses I'd either catch a cab or catch the L to Rockaway Parkway and wait for the e/b B6.

Sometimes there are police cars on the WB side (atlantic terminal bound) of the LIRR tracks as well.... I had one stop & question me one time after having gotten off an LIRR train (after having done some fanning out in LI).... I used to take the LIRR all the way to atlantic terminal, but I find it's far easier for me to get off at LIRR ENY & walk over to the B12..... The B12 stop right after it turns off albany onto clarkson is just about perfect for me....

LIRR nostrand av, I don't remember the last time I used that station.... to tell the truth, I despise that station more than I do LIRR ENY...

LIRR Atlantic terminal... well, I got sick of having to wait for a packed 2 or 5 (or B/Q) after having came off the RR....

Anyway, more to the point....

- Yeh, you walk straight up van sinderen for those 2 blocks & the Broadway Jnctn. buses are right there....

- To catch the B12 from the LIRR sta, you make that same 2 block walk up to fulton st, then pan right for another 2 block (or is that one long block) walk over there by the greenery/triangle it picks up at....

- To get to the Alabama Av station from the LIRR station, you then have to cross ENY from the B12 1st pick up stop & walk up like 1/2 a block or so....

I'm not sure what, or where Shortline thinks the actual ENY LIRR entrance is....

Edited by B35 via Church

B1: I can't see that happening.... it's bad enough residents don't want the buses utilizing 85th st the way it does now....

B3: The same reason it was cut back from Bergen Beach - very low usage...

B4: There is a much bigger benefit to having a Sheepshead bay - Bay ridge route use 86th st, than it is to have such a route use bay ridge pkwy & panning down 4th av to 86th..... B4 via Bay ridge pkwy gives the MTA reason to run such piss-poor service that it currently does on the route.... and Sheepshead riders suffer b/c of it.....

B1: I could've sworn the B1 went down 87th Street, not 85th Street (to turn around at 4th Avenue)

B3: For the relatively short distance that you'd save, I'd just keep it as is. You serve that portion of 25th Avenue and give B3 riders additional transfers to other routes.

B4: Do you think the B4 could act as a limited down 86th Street? Or that whole stint under the (D) would screw things up?

Personally, I think the BM1 & 2 could benefit from some Sunday Service.

Here is my Express Bus Route overhaul:

Express Routes

X27 & 28:

Weekend service restored.

BM1, 2, 3, 5:

Saturday service restored fully, Sunday service added, 10 AM-4 PM.

BM4: No change.

The express system isn't in "as bad shape as the local system" if all you're doing is adjusting some routes.

In any case, I'd cut the BM5 off-peak and send the BM2 to Starrett City. I'd cut the BM2 weekends and riders could take the B82 (for Starrett City riders) or B103 to the BM1, which would see 30 minute headways on Saturdays and 60 minute headways on Sundays. I'd cut the BM4 and have riders take the B31 to the (Q) train or BM3. The B31 would be boosted to run every 15 minutes to compensate.

For the NYCT buses, I'd restore the X29, but I think it would be better running down Ocean Parkway instead of Coney Island Avenue. It would be a little more centralized, and it would be more of an alternative for (F) riders, since it doesn't offer as many transfers as the (B)(Q) (and the transfers are harder to make). I'd have the X27 run on 30 minute headways for most of its span on Saturdays and 60 minute headways on Sundays. I'd have the X28 run every 60 minutes on Saturdays only.

B1: I could've sworn the B1 went down 87th Street, not 85th Street (to turn around at 4th Avenue)

B3: For the relatively short distance that you'd save, I'd just keep it as is. You serve that portion of 25th Avenue and give B3 riders additional transfers to other routes.

B4: Do you think the B4 could act as a limited down 86th Street? Or that whole stint under the (D) would screw things up?

B1- I was gonna edit the post, but I didn't bother.... right increment, wrong numerical direction....

But yes, it's 87th st...

B3- I suppose.... The way I see it, on that route though, any little advantage in distance I think would help.... The B3 b/w the (D) & Veterans av is about as optimal one could make that route...

B4- I don't think so, for that same reason you pointed out.... Which is one reason why I wouldn't have every B1 head over to 86th/4th....

My aim w/ the B1/B4 plan is to try to balance out the # of B1's arriving/leaving 86th/4th & the # of B4's that would do the same thing

If current service levels were to be kept the same on each, the # of B1's to B4's would be totally unbalanced......

B4- I don't think so, for that same reason you pointed out.... Which is one reason why I wouldn't have every B1 head over to 86th/4th....

My aim w/ the B1/B4 plan is to try to balance out the # of B1's arriving/leaving 86th/4th & the # of B4's that would do the same thing

If current service levels were to be kept the same on each, the # of B1's to B4's would be totally unbalanced......

So what service levels were you thinking of having the buses run at? Would you short-turn every 3rd B1 at 25th Avenue?

Anyway, more to the point....

- Yeh, you walk straight up van sinderen for those 2 blocks & the Broadway Jnctn. buses are right there....

- To catch the B12 from the LIRR sta, you make that same 2 block walk up to fulton st, then pan right for another 2 block (or is that one long block) walk over there by the greenery/triangle it picks up at....

- To get to the Alabama Av station from the LIRR station, you then have to cross ENY from the B12 1st pick up stop & walk up like 1/2 a block or so....

I'm not sure what, or where Shortline thinks the actual ENY LIRR entrance is....

You are absolutely correct with that! B35!

- Also u have the B12 stop on Junius Street/ENY which is also another 1/2 block for the E/B platform to Jamaica.

BM 1,2,3 4,5:

Saturday Service: AGREED: FULL service needs to be restored, I'd say last bus at 7 heading to Manhattan.

Sunday Service: DISAGREE! Here's why. Depot is only open for Maintenance on Sundays, and B100/B103 service. The B103 does a great job supplementing the BM2 on Sundays heading towards Junction and Downtown, and the B100 for BM1 service to Kings Hwy direct train service, and also not a lot of G/O's in canarsie on weekends to warrant service.

IF ANYTHING MTABC needs to create another route to possibly help out the BM3 to run in mirror. Something like a B104: Coney Island Stillwell Ave/Sheepshead Bay- Neptune Ave to McDonald Ave (F) train Station. via Ocean and transfer to B103 for Downtown Service. I think that route would do great for the people living in the vicinity of CI & Sheepshead. Very prone to a lot of subway G/O's.

What about the frequent (and illogical) GO's on the (L), (F), and (B)/ (Q)? Sunday service on the express routes will help the riders get "un-screwed" by these GO's.

On another note, the area of most concern in some places is Brooklyn's N-S routes. Here are my ideas on this front: (from the Google doc.)

North-South Routes in Central Brooklyn

B40: Greenpoint, Metro Avenue or Williamsburg Bridge Plaza

Midwood, Flatbush Avenue/Brookyn College (The Junction)

Via New York, Marcy and Nostrand Avenue.

(NEW)

B42: Rockaway Parkway, (L)

Canarsie Pier & Seaview Village

Via Rockaway Parkway & Seaview Av.

(Don't ask why this is here.)

B44: (LOCAL SERVICE REROUTED TO ROGERS AVENUE)

Williamsburg Bridge Plaza

Sheepshead Bay, Knapp St

Via Nostrand, Rodgers, and Bedford Avenue.

(+SBS)

B46: Current route.

(+SBS)

B47: Some buses are rerouted onto Kings Hwy between Avenue D & Howard Avenue weekdays. Other buses operate on Ralph Aveune. Other times, all buses use Ralph Avenue.

B49: Bed-Stuy, Fulton St

Sheepshead Bay, Knapp St

Via Bedford Avenue.

B50: Williamsburg Bridge Plaza

Manhattan Beach, Kingsboro CC.

Via Washington & Ocean Avenues.

(NEW, LTD)

Edited by ThrexxBus

I think that the best way to improve bus service in Brooklyn is to add a East-West subway line. Triboro RX anyone? I actually created an expansion to that idea called the "Quadboro RX". Here's a map. Take a look at it and tell me what you think. Oh, I know this was a Brooklyn bus ideas thread, but I think that this is way bigger than reorganization of bus service.

I think that the best way to improve bus service in Brooklyn is to add a East-West subway line. Triboro RX anyone? I actually created an expansion to that idea called the "Quadboro RX". Here's a map. Take a look at it and tell me what you think. Oh, I know this was a Brooklyn bus ideas thread, but I think that this is way bigger than reorganization of bus service.

Was? It is. Take that over to the subway forum...

To make this more fair, I'll make the contribution of my own!

B2- Eliminated! Like Acela Express said, it's only one block from the B100.

B4- Between Bay Ridge-4th Av and Sheepshead Bay-Knapp St (via 3rd Av, Bay Ridge Pkwy, Avenue Z)

B8- To Bay Ridge-95th St Station southbound at all times! Late nights bus goes to V A Hospital!

B9- Should be extended to Narrows Av-78th St Southbound at all times to prevent too many bus routes at Shore Road-71st St

NOTE: B76 will run to Shore Road-71st St since it's across Bay Ridge Av

B10- Between Pritchard Sq at Windsor Terrace and Bay Ridge-Shore Road/87th Street

B16- via Fort Hamilton Parkway at all times

B64- Between Coney Island and Shore Road (via Bath Av, 13th Av, and Bay Ridge Av)

B76- Between Bergen Beach-Veterans Av/E. 71st St to Bay Ridge-Shore Rd/71st St (via Kings Hwy Station, via 68th St/Bay Ridge Av)

NOTE: I was planning to go on 65th St, but can't because of traffic and it's close to the (N) train. Don't think that I'm lying because I've been to 65th St every day while I take the (N) and going to school!

Here's the google maps view:

http://g.co/maps/664nr

To make this more fair, I'll make the contribution of my own!

B2- Eliminated! Like Acela Express said, it's only one block from the B100.

B8- To Bay Ridge-95th St Station southbound at all times! Late nights bus goes to V A Hospital!

B9- Should be extended to Narrows Av-78th St Southbound at all times to prevent too many bus routes at Shore Road-71st St

B2: Just keep in mind that you'll have to add extra stops on the B100, like some people mentioned earlier in the thread.

B8: What's the point in making the transfer to the SI buses and (R) train harder at night for no reason?

B9: That seems like a pretty random place to terminate it.

I meant "is". I knew I would get this type of reaction when I posted it, through a misunderstanding. I believe that this should be in the topic, because if the MTA did this, reorganization of bus service would be a lot easier, and cheaper for the MTA.

ok try these changes:

BM2/4 loose off peak and saturday service due to redundancy However BM1 &5(if ridership picks up) improve to 30 min service at off peak and saturday with span increased to 9pm However BM3 will run on weekends with reduced fare when Q train service is affected.

BM5 see my queens plan for details.

B31 GETS boost to 15 mins BUT as part of 2 phase plan phase 1 extends via ave S to ceasars bay shopping phase 2 to SI but not yet determined. B2 via ave P to same place. phase 2 to SI via SI college inside to replace S57 segment to new dorp. S57 reroutes to supplement S76 new dotp segment see SI ideas for details. B100 via ave P to bay ridge ave then direct to bay fidge future part of phase 2.

B7 rerouted to broadway jct via eastern pkwy to boost ridrrship and reduce DH time.

Hov on bqe between williamsburg and downtown bk allows B24 to modify but that is yet to be determined. B51 restored but with MODIFIED manhattan routing. to become the canal street CROSSTOWN improving ridership forcing improvement.

x28/27 restored sat service. However BM5 gets 3 open door woodhaven stops at rockaway blvd (A) and 63rd dr and metropolitan ave rest no change

ok try these changes:

BM2/4 loose off peak and saturday service due to redundancy However BM1 &5(if ridership picks up) improve to 30 min service at off peak and saturday with span increased to 9pm However BM3 will run on weekends with reduced fare when Q train service is affected.

B31 GETS boost to 15 mins BUT as part of 2 phase plan phase 1 extends via ave S to ceasars bay shopping phase 2 to SI but not yet determined. B2 via ave P to same place. phase 2 to SI via SI college inside to replace S57 segment to new dorp. S57 reroutes to supplement S76 new dotp segment see SI ideas for details. B100 via ave P to bay ridge ave then direct to bay fidge future part of phase 2.

B7 rerouted to broadway jct via eastern pkwy to boost ridrrship and reduce DH time.

Hov on bqe between williamsburg and downtown bk allows B24 to modify but that is yet to be determined. B51 restored but with MODIFIED manhattan routing. to become the canal street CROSSTOWN improving ridership forcing improvement.

x28/27 restored sat service. However BM5 gets 3 open door woodhaven stops at rockaway blvd (A) and 63rd dr and metropolitan ave rest no change

I have also deprived you of your status....

First, I said no more ideas in this thread...

Second, BM1/2/3/4/5 service needs to be restored to original levels. Reduced fare, loose headways... what are you smoking?

Third, B7: That is not going to get used. The B12 is a east-west route for a reason.

Fourth: X27/28: Fine. BM5: :wacko:

I meant "is". I knew I would get this type of reaction when I posted it, through a misunderstanding. I believe that this should be in the topic, because if the MTA did this, reorganization of bus service would be a lot easier, and cheaper for the MTA.

The Triboro RX has nothing to do with bus service in Brooklyn. If you care so much about this, make a new thread in the subway forum.

Edited by ThrexxBus

Was? It is. Take that over to the subway forum...

This.

I believe this is nothin more than you tryna find some avenue to push your subway idea.....

Yeah it would be easier & cheaper because more funds would be allocated towards propping up a subway line, and less funds going towards improving the bus network - Further justifying the running of less buses... That's part of what's wrong w/ public transportation in this city now, with the trying to cram everyone onto subways & the thwarting of bus usage.....

Easier & cheaper, sure.... Of course you say nothin about it being better for the buses in the system though...

How can you...

So what service levels were you thinking of having the buses run at? Would you short-turn every 3rd B1 at 25th Avenue?

I don't wanna say every third, per se....

What I will say is, in general, the altered headways on B4 would be similar to that of the current B1 (which would yield a drastic increase in service, compared to the current B4)..... But the amount of B1 runs/day that'd run from end-to-end would be decreased.... This could go some way in attempting to address that problem @ KCC w/ the gross overabundance of students waiting for the buses..... In other words, the amt. of B4's you'd see running along 86th st would be ~equal to the amt. of B1's running along 86th.....

If I simply kept the B1 & B4 at its current headways running from its respective end-to-end's, the "ratio" of B1's to B4's would be too great.... That, and it would be nothing more than having even more physical buses getting caught up under the el there..... Like I alluded to, I'd attempt to balance the service out...

If patrons need service b/w 4th av & av x (F), they can hop on either bus route.... Same deal goes for, if they need CI hospital (although they may favor the 4 heading SB b/c that diminish the worry of crossing ocean pkwy... well that, and there's less traffic on Av Z... but the option for the B1 is still present)..... If they need the brighton line, they'll have their choice of sheepshead or brighton beach, as both are "express" stations.... and of course, if they need sheepshead bay (the neighborhood) the B4 will be available.... and for KCC, the B1 will be available.....

B9: That seems like a pretty random place to terminate it.

That's over there where the current B4 terminates....

The B74 is a feeder from CI. That will not work, and is not necessary. Enough with the random ideas.

Uhh... No! It's enough while traveling through Mermaid Av for riders to take the B74. And by the way, I'm afraid that the ridership will decrease after it reaches the Coney Island-Stillwell Av Station.

Save your strength.... Consider the source.

Edited by B35 via Church

extend B74 via former B4 routing via knapp and neptune to kings plaza

All you'd do is make the B74 as unreliable as the B36.

That's over there where the current B4 terminates....

I know, but still, the only way to get down there would be via Shore Road, and it would just look weird having the bus go down Shore Road, only to stop abruptly at 77th Street. I don't even think there's anything of interest there. Fort Hamilton High School is further down (I think it's like 83rd or 84th Streets), so that would be a better terminal IMO.

I know, but still, the only way to get down there would be via Shore Road, and it would just look weird having the bus go down Shore Road, only to stop abruptly at 77th Street. I don't even think there's anything of interest there. Fort Hamilton High School is further down (I think it's like 83rd or 84th Streets), so that would be a better terminal IMO.

Basically what you're saying is the current B4 terminal is weird.... which I don't disagree with....

1) BM2/4 loose off peak and saturday service due to redundancy However BM1 &5(if ridership picks up) improve to 30 min service at off peak and saturday with span increased to 9pm However BM3 will run on weekends with reduced fare when Q train service is affected.

2) B7 rerouted to broadway jct via eastern pkwy to boost ridrrship and reduce DH time.

3) x28/27 restored sat service. However BM5 gets 3 open door woodhaven stops at rockaway blvd (A) and 63rd dr and metropolitan ave rest no change

1) Why would you keep the BM5? I told you that the deadheading that you'd save is minimal because not every BM bus deadheads after completing every single trip.

2) You realize how slow and unreliable the B51 would be if it were the Canal Street crosstown, right?

3) Even with open-door passengers, ridership isn't going to increase much.

1) I believe this is nothin more than you tryna find some avenue to push your subway idea.....

Yeah it would be easier & cheaper because more funds would be allocated towards propping up a subway line, and less funds going towards improving the bus network - Further justifying the running of less buses... That's part of what's wrong w/ public transportation in this city now, with the trying to cram everyone onto subways & the thwarting of bus usage.....

Easier & cheaper, sure.... Of course you say nothin about it being better for the buses in the system though...

How can you...

2) I don't wanna say every third, per se....

What I will say is, in general, the altered headways on B4 would be similar to that of the current B1 (which would yield a drastic increase in service, compared to the current B4)..... But the amount of B1 runs/day that'd run from end-to-end would be decreased.... This could go some way in attempting to address that problem @ KCC w/ the gross overabundance of students waiting for the buses..... In other words, the amt. of B4's you'd see running along 86th st would be ~equal to the amt. of B1's running along 86th.....

If I simply kept the B1 & B4 at its current headways running from its respective end-to-end's, the "ratio" of B1's to B4's would be too great.... That, and it would be nothing more than having even more physical buses getting caught up under the el there..... Like I alluded to, I'd attempt to balance the service out...

1) But the thing is that the MTA should be trying to use its money to benefit as many passengers as possible, and provide as much a benefit for those passengers, and a rail line would do just that. It's different from forcing riders onto a subway service that was much worse than the original bus commute they had (for instance, by cutting the B4 back from Sheepshead Bay, riders went from having a one-seat ride to having to take the subway to Atlantic Avenue, and then take the (2) to the B44. Having a subway line wouldn't necessarily force bus service to be that much worse. If it makes it so a passenger can speed their trip by taking a rail line for part of their trip instead of taking a bus the whole way, then it's a benefit to both the passenger and MTA.

Like in SI, if (and hopefully when) they get the North Shore Rail Line up and running, they'll probably reduce service a little bit on routes up on the North Shore, but overall everybody will benefit. Bus riders might have slightly longer waits, but there will be fewer people who need to take a bus because the train can get them to their destination in less than 1/2 the time. For the remaining riders, buses may run less frequent, but they'll be less crowded, and there will be more buses available for service in other parts of the borough. So it's the same idea here.

2) Makes sense. I guess if you take KCC students out of the equation, demand for service to Brighton/Manhattan Beach would be roughly the same as to Sheepshead Bay, and a lot of the KCC students are just going to the subway anyway,so it makes sense to have a more even ratio.

there is no canal st crosstown plus that would increase ridership even at the expense of reliability BUT the subway is for that anyway. The BM5 idea is not limited to just brooklyn it's connected to my queens ideas too so to get the full picture you need to see my queens proposal first. Ohh BM5 unlike QM15 isn't completely duplicate by local bus as it is the ONLY bus from woodhaven blvd corridor to SE brooklyn.

Also the BM4/3/2 are redundant NOBODY uses bm4 at offpeak saturday bm2 duplicates b103 till bm1 and BM3 IS SLOWER than the subway defeating its very purpose sort of. the real reason behind bm5 is to link the major corridor and link many crossing queens lines DIRECTLY to SE brooklyn and maybe CCC if warrented sunday if feasible