Bee Line, Ct. Transit and Northern suburbs bus proposal thread

GreatOne2k

Here we go.....

For the 25, it has a couple of part-time diversions/branches that I didn't show. With the C5, I'm thought it went all the way out to Research Parkway, but now it looks like it's split at the Meriden RR station (with the C6 covering the eastern part). I'm still not sure how those number suffixes work....

Within Southington, obviously my primary purpose was serving the downtown area. Those extensions to the residential portions were more of a "while we're at it" sort of deal. The western part of Southington looks dense enough to support some sort of bus service. The eastern part only looks dense enough up to around Plum Orchard Road or so, but it looks like there's some kind of apartment complex in the area I decided to terminate it in. If it's some kind of exclusive club, then it would just terminate by Main & Berlin, using either Vermont Avenue/Terrace or Berlin/Oakland to turn around.

brilliant.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I figured this is as good a place to post it as any (who knows, maybe somebody important will actually see it), but Google Transit is free for agencies to use, so just by uploading the Bee Line schedules to Google Transit, they could increase awareness and increase ridership on the system. Maybe not by much, but it's better than nothing, and it makes it easier for existing riders to plan trips.

I figured this is as good a place to post it as any (who knows, maybe somebody important will actually see it), but Google Transit is free for agencies to use, so just by uploading the Bee Line schedules to Google Transit, they could increase awareness and increase ridership on the system. Maybe not by much, but it's better than nothing, and it makes it easier for existing riders to plan trips.

I completely agree. Bee-Line needs to take a page from the MTA and make their raw transit information available to developers. I'd be willing to develop something around that.

Seeing that their telephone timetable hotline has been down for months, this could make life easier than navigating through all those PDF's.

• 2 weeks later...

What about this idea for Bee-Line

6: Service South of White Plains discontinued (under this proposal, there would be no 6 Sunday service)

2: Extended to White Plains via 6 route

5: Service West of White Plains discontinued

4: Extended to White Plains via 5 route to Ardsley, and 6 route to White Plains (Sunday Service would only go as north as Ardsley Square).

What about this idea for Bee-Line

6: Service South of White Plains discontinued (under this proposal, there would be no 6 Sunday service)

2: Extended to White Plains via 6 route

5: Service West of White Plains discontinued

4: Extended to White Plains via 5 route to Ardsley, and 6 route to White Plains (Sunday Service would only go as north as Ardsley Square).

You haven't taken Bee-line much, have you?

• 3 months later...

Sorry for reviving this

I do think the BxM4C needs more service (I think the service cuts on the BxM4C were too rough, I'm looking at the old schedule with daily service, they just ran excess service, especially on Weekdays).

Weekdays: The BxM4C should Operate to Manhattan from 5:45 AM to 6 PM. The current BxM4C schedule from 5:45 AM to 9 AM would stay the same from White Plains. Afterward, the BxM4C would operate every hour until 3 PM. Then it would have a trip at 4:30 PM then at 6 PM. 

From Manhattan, the first bus should leave at 10 AM, then leave at 11:30 AM, 1 PM, then every hour up to 3:00 PM, then it's current schedule afterward up to 6:30 PM, then have buses leave every hour up to 8:30 (just a slight modification to the current after 6 PM service), then the last bus leave at 10 PM.

Saturdays: The BxM4C should operate to Manhattan from 7 AM, every hour to 12 PM, then every 90 minutes up to 6 PM.

The first White Plains Bus would leave at 9 AM, every 90 minutes up to 3 PM, then every hour up to 9 PM.

Sundays: The BxM4C should operate to Manhattan from 9 AM to 6 PM, every 90 minutes all day

The first White Plains Bus would leave at 10:30 AM, the last one at 7:30 PM.

Along with this, Transfers to/from the BxM4C would be allowed, with a step-up charge (whatever bus you used, the amount you originally paid subtracted from $7.50 is what you would pay).

Here's the BxM4C Timetable http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/Rte_BxM4C_TT_Spr13.pdf

you can obviously tell just by reading that.

Thanks, captain....

Sorry for reviving this

I do think the BxM4C needs more service

(I think the service cuts on the BxM4C were too rough, I'm looking at the old schedule with daily service, they just ran excess service, especially on Weekdays).

Weekdays:

- The BxM4C should Operate to Manhattan from 5:45 AM to 6 PM. The current BxM4C schedule from 5:45 AM to 9 AM would stay the same from White Plains. Afterward, the BxM4C would operate every hour until 3 PM. Then it would have a trip at 4:30 PM then at 6 PM. 

- From Manhattan, the first bus should leave at 10 AM, then leave at 11:30 AM, 1 PM, then every hour up to 3:00 PM, then it's current schedule afterward up to 6:30 PM, then have buses leave every hour up to 8:30 (just a slight modification to the current after 6 PM service), then the last bus leave at 10 PM.

Saturdays: The BxM4C should operate to Manhattan from 7 AM, every hour to 12 PM, then every 90 minutes up to 6 PM.

The first White Plains Bus would leave at 9 AM, every 90 minutes up to 3 PM, then every hour up to 9 PM.

Sundays: The BxM4C should operate to Manhattan from 9 AM to 6 PM, every 90 minutes all day

The first White Plains Bus would leave at 10:30 AM, the last one at 7:30 PM.

Along with this, Transfers to/from the BxM4C would be allowed, with a step-up charge

(whatever bus you used, the amount you originally paid subtracted from $7.50 is what you would pay).

Here's the BxM4C Timetable http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/Rte_BxM4C_TT_Spr13.pdf

Not sure how I can explain this.... The BxM4c was used like an express version of the BL-20; in other words, it eliminated having to deal w/ the (D) or the (4) from manhattan for service along central park... Remember, there were just BL-20's & BxM4c's for the longest; no BL-21's or BL-20x's or nothin like that..... This is why the BxMc4 had the usage that it did, before the fare increase - all of those folks were not commuters originating from their homes in the AM & heading back to their homes in the PM..... You had quite a bit of casual riders (guess you could call em) also.... The combination of having the 20x/21 & the 7.50 fare on c4's (which came much later after 20x's & 21's, of course) decimated that ridership on the c4....

It (the rider patterns) would be like (for example) those that would normally take Q53's to the (A) for manhattan from rockaway park, using QM16's interchangably to get to manhattan (which I'm quite certain NO ONE that regularly does the 53 to the subway) do - In addition with the regular commuters that would normally take QM16's to manhattan.....

Now it's (the BxM4c) is just a straight commuter route....

This I believe, is a large part of the reason why you had such rough cuts on that route... Like I said in the chatroom that day we were talking about this, I'm surprised this route is still up & running... Someone on here has even said that the route is flourishing.....

As far as your suggestion, I think that's simply too much weekend service....

Thanks, captain....

Not sure how I can explain this.... The BxM4c was used like an express version of the BL-20; in other words, it eliminated having to deal w/ the (D) or the (4) from manhattan for service along central park... Remember, there were just BL-20's & BxM4c's for the longest; no BL-21's or BL-20x's or nothin like that..... This is why the BxMc4 had the usage that it did, before the fare increase - all of those folks were not commuters originating from their homes in the AM & heading back to their homes in the PM..... You had quite a bit of casual riders (guess you could call em) also.... The combination of having the 20x/21 & the 7.50 fare on c4's (which came much later after 20x's & 21's, of course) decimated that ridership on the c4....

It (the rider patterns) would be like (for example) those that would normally take Q53's to the (A) for manhattan from rockaway park, using QM16's interchangably to get to manhattan (which I'm quite certain NO ONE that regularly does the 53 to the subway) do - In addition with the regular commuters that would normally take QM16's to manhattan.....

Now it's (the BxM4c) is just a straight commuter route....

This I believe, is a large part of the reason why you had such rough cuts on that route... Like I said in the chatroom that day we were talking about this, I'm surprised this route is still up & running... Someone on here has even said that the route is flourishing.....

As far as your suggestion, I think that's simply too much weekend service....

I see...

I think though should at least be Saturday Service in Some Way

How about this:

On Saturdays, the BxM4C runs to the city from 7 AM to 4 PM , and back from 8:35 AM to 5:35 PM, every hour

OR......

From 7 AM to 3:20 PM, every 70 Minutes, and back from 8:40 AM to 5:00 PM

OR......

From 7 AM to 4 PM, and back from 8:30 to 5:30, every 90 minutes.

I see...

I think though should at least be Saturday Service in Some Way

How about this:

On Saturdays, the BxM4C runs to the city from 7 AM to 4 PM , and back from 8:35 AM to 5:35 PM, every hour

OR......

From 7 AM to 3:20 PM, every 70 Minutes, and back from 8:40 AM to 5:00 PM

OR......

From 7 AM to 4 PM, and back from 8:30 to 5:30, every 90 minutes.

The BxM4C serves people whom commute to work on a Mon-Fri basis. Additionally, customers use this service in lieu of their own cars to travel into the city.

Lastly, service north of Yonkers doesn't warrant a super-express service. With the newer 21, service south of Cross County is very frequent 7-days a week--I'm pressed to say it's comparable to MTA styled service.

On a personal note, I feel if you're going to run service, you should do it all or nothing. Who wants to wait 90 minutes for a bus? 3 20's would come and go in that amount of time.

The BxM4C serves people whom commute to work on a Mon-Fri basis. Additionally, customers use this service in lieu of their own cars to travel into the city.

Lastly, service north of Yonkers doesn't warrant a super-express service. With the newer 21, service south of Cross County is very frequent 7-days a week--I'm pressed to say it's comparable to MTA styled service.

On a personal note, I feel if you're going to run service, you should do it all or nothing. Who wants to wait 90 minutes for a bus? 3 20's would come and go in that amount of time.

You are right good for bee line bus I feel sorry for those workers' wallets if they knew MNRR was cheaper the 4c would not be with us today good deception beeline.

Didn't know where else to put this, so I'll just treat this thread like an o/t thread in this section for now....

Since hardly anyone "answers" back replies in a status update not on the first "page" or whatever....

In a status update, Q23 Central Terminal stated:

"(Probably B35 can answer this question for me)

The last inbound 12 (towards White Plains) having 16 riders??? Should I be surprised"

I'm assuming you're talking about that last saturday BL-12 trip towards the transcenter......

- You talkin about that 6pm trip from the airport (or whenever it departs now).... My comment to that is, not at all.... 

Usually folks coming from the area around The Westchester (mall), looking to xfer to some other route @ the transcenter.....

* Bear in mind that the 12 runs ahead of the 13 anyway - it keeps 13's from being anymore crowded than what they already are b/w portchester & WP, and also FWIW, keeps 12's from being empty within the heart of WP....

What I would be surprised at, is if the bulk of those folks got on somewhere b/w the airport & east of The Westchester....

Didn't know where else to put this, so I'll just treat this thread like an o/t thread in this section for now....

Since hardly anyone "answers" back replies in a status update not on the first "page" or whatever....

In a status update, Q23 Central Terminal stated:

"(Probably B35 can answer this question for me)

The last inbound 12 (towards White Plains) having 16 riders??? Should I be surprised"

I'm assuming you're talking about that last saturday BL-12 trip towards the transcenter......

- You talkin about that 6pm trip from the airport (or whenever it departs now).... My comment to that is, not at all.... 

Usually folks coming from the area around The Westchester (mall), looking to xfer to some other route @ the transcenter.....

* Bear in mind that the 12 runs ahead of the 13 anyway - it keeps 13's from being anymore crowded than what they already are b/w portchester & WP, and also FWIW, keeps 12's from being empty within the heart of WP....

What I would be surprised at, is if the bulk of those folks got on somewhere b/w the airport & east of The Westchester....

The bus never stopped at the Westchester.

Yeah, so where did those people come from then?

I mean, you're tepidly asking me should you be surprised w/ 16 riders on a white plains bound 12....

Don't just stop by telling me the bus never stopped there... Lol.

The bus never stopped there.

Three of the passengers on board were from the airport for sure, they had baggage and all that.

So that leaves 13 riders.

One passenger appeared to be an airport employee, since he had a vest that was more or less the one that those people on the runway that does things.

So that leaves 12 riders.

As for the other 12 riders, I don't know where they came from

The bus never stopped there.

Alright.... I saw you post this, the first time you said it....

Three of the passengers on board were from the airport for sure, they had baggage and all that.

So that leaves 13 riders.

One passenger appeared to be an airport employee, since he had a vest that was more or less the one that those people on the runway that does things.

So that leaves 12 riders.

As for the other 12 riders, I don't know where they came from

So 4 riders came from the airport (which is nothing out of the ordinary), and 12 of them you don't know where they came from.....

If the bulk of those 12 riders came from somewhere within white plains, again, that's not anything to be surprised about....

You said the bus never stopped at the westchester...

So Where did you ride this particular 12 from, that you didn't know where most of those other 12 riders came from ?

Alright.... I saw you post this, the first time you said it....

So 4 riders came from the airport (which is nothing out of the ordinary), and 12 of them you don't know where they came from.....

If the bulk of those 12 riders came from somewhere within white plains, again, that's not anything to be surprised about....

You said the bus never stopped at the westchester...

So Where did you ride this particular 12 from, that you didn't know where most of those other 12 riders came from ?

I didn't ride it, just saw it at the Westchester when it was stopped at the light.

In my defense, what was I gonna do taking a bus that terminates at an airport then back if I was visiting folks in that area?

Should have made it clear you weren't on board to begin with, but I digress.

As for the twelve riders, taking into consideration the this is BL I'd say that was a fair amount of pax not originating from the airport.

I didn't ride it, just saw it at the Westchester when it was stopped at the light.

I have another question, but I might as well skip it.....

I'm just gonna chalk it up & assume that most of those 16 riders or w/e came from the airport.....

As it is, it's the only thing that was as likely, the way I see it.....

And that is the problem.

lol.... well there's nothing saying he had to ride the bus....

For the sake of the discussion though, it would've put any inquiries about the ridership on that particular trip to bed.....

Should have made it clear you weren't on board to begin with, but I digress.

As for the twelve riders, taking into consideration the this is BL I'd say that was a fair amount of pax not originating from the airport.

First point: That's what I say....

Second point: On the BL-12 b/w the airport & the westchester (neither, inclusive) after 6pm on a saturday, I would say that's a high amount of pax......

Does anyone know if the bee-line is considering schedule and line coordination with the likes of Bing and Google? It seems like its the only major service left not participating.

(I) Have no idea...

Archived