Bee Line, Ct. Transit and Northern suburbs bus proposal thread

GreatOne2k

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bee-Line #1T: Should expand the weekend service to Tarrytown Station.

Bee-Line #12: Make this full service hours during HPN Airport Hours including Thanksgiving/Christmas Holidays, so people who needs to catch flights at HPN can do it easily.

Bee-Line #14: Maybe make there 24-hour service like Bee-Line #20.

Bee-Line #15: Should have more Saturday service.

Bee-Line #45: Add more weekend service between Westchester County and the Bronx.

Only thing that makes sense here is upgrading 45 service. The 15 goes through the middle of nowhere. The 14 is not used like that. I was on a southbound 14 we were just driving without picking up more than 3 people from croton Harmon all the way to Westchester med center. Basically nobody got off till then wasted mileage on it. Very few even used it outside peeskill and ossining just turns and more turns. If the 17 ran at the same time as that 14 would almost carry air an rte to white plains. The 12 ain't nobody got time for that extend one of the white plains buses via lake street to HPN. Many using that airport come from northern Westchester. Or the eastern parts the 12 as is helps barely anyone.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

5:

Weekdays:

Add trips from Yonkers to White Plains at 8:00 PM and 9:00 PM. Extend the 6:56 PM trip to White Plains

Saturdays: Reschedule the first three buses to White Plains, consolidate the three trips into a 6:35 AM trip and 6:15 AM trip

To Yonkers, make the bus departing Saw Mill Rover Rd/Odell Avenue at 6:40 AM originate in Ardsley Square at 6:30 AM

Make the current 7:45 AM bus departing the same area to Yonkers originate at the White Plains TransCenter at 7:11 AM (this bus would arrive Odell Ave at 7:40 AM

The current 6:00 PM trip from Yonkers would be extended to Trans Center and will leave at 6:05 PM instead from Yonkers (arrives the TransCenter at 6:47 PM)

The current 7:10 PM trip from Yonkers would be extended to Main Street in White Plains to arrive at 8:02 PM

Sundays:

Combine the 6:00 and 7:35 PM trips from Yonkers into a 7:00 PM trip

Revamp the 5 schedule from Yonkers to depart at

8:30 AM, 10:00 AM, 12:00 PM, 2:00 PM, 4:00 PM, and 6:00 PM

The 6 would run along with the 5 but at the opposite hours from White Plains from 10 AM- 6:00 PM and from Yonkers from 9:15 AM to 7:00 PM.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know why most services in Yonkers were curtailed from the rail station to Getty Square?

I don't know why, but I think it has something to do with what QJT is saying... That is, Bee Line realizes just how high a volume of its pax that originate in yonkers (or came off some other bus that serves some other areas, that ends in yonkers) are making their way to one of the 242nd st routes for the subway.... Bee line would probably never go for it, but I think it would be beneficial for them to adopt something similar to what Suffolk county transit does; where you can ride up to 2 routes on one xfer for free w/i a certain time period, since you have as many ppl. taking 3 modes....

Saying it another way, to have just about all the routes that end in downtown yonkers terminate at the rail station, these days, is highly unnecessary....

• 2 months later...

In 2018, the New Tappan Zee bridge will be completed. Along with the completion of the bridge will be two dedicated Bus Rapid Transit lanes to accommodate a new transportation system that will serve Rockland,Westchester and the Bronx.

Funding for this project remains a question mark and also who will be running this operation. Will the MTA get involved? Will Bee-Line or Transport of Rockland(TOR) run it? Will they formulate a new agency altogether? I would love to hear your feedback regarding this topic. Thanks. Here is a link to more info about the project.

In 2018, the New Tappan Zee bridge will be completed. Along with the completion of the bridge will be two dedicated Bus Rapid Transit lanes to accommodate a new transportation system that will serve Rockland,Westchester and the Bronx.

Funding for this project remains a question mark and also who will be running this operation. Will the MTA get involved? Will Bee-Line or Transport of Rockland(TOR) run it? Will they formulate a new agency altogether? I would love to hear your feedback regarding this topic. Thanks. Here is a link to more info about the project.

they need space for rail service!

they need space for rail service!

I agree. There should be rail service. The bridge is designed to handle it. However, the plans are to operate BRT as soon as the bridge is opened. We probably won't see rail service on the Tappan Zee in our lifetime.

I guess any chance of full time 3 can get killed by a 78 extension. But still on the fence with either the W13 however needs a huge overhaul in frequency and general there is too much duplication on rte 119. 14 needs to be streamlined,15 is done stick a fork in it,77 &10 need to be redone to better serve people and be more productive 77 currently is on life support. 19 is err WTF.

In my opinion, even in 2018 the demand for BRT won't be that high, simply because the options aren't appealing. I remember reading a few weeks ago that there was an idea to create a BRT ramp from the bridge directly down to the Tarrytown train station, it was however nixed due to cost concerns. This whole bridge, again in my opinion, is somewhat half-assed.

On a positive note, I'd like to see the Bee-Line assume control of the TzX, I think they could do that route with justice.

In my opinion, even in 2018 the demand for BRT won't be that high, simply because the options aren't appealing. I remember reading a few weeks ago that there was an idea to create a BRT ramp from the bridge directly down to the Tarrytown train station, it was however nixed due to cost concerns. This whole bridge, again in my opinion, is somewhat half-assed.

On a positive note, I'd like to see the Bee-Line assume control of the TzX, I think they could do that route with justice.

On the fence on that one sure the TZX has no right to call itself an express bus but have bee-line operate it? You know how they treat express routes in general right you sure they will do it "Better"?

On the fence on that one sure the TZX has no right to call itself an express bus but have bee-line operate it? You know how they treat express routes in general right you sure they will do it "Better"?

Im sure Bee Line would do a better job, but it's a moot point. Rockland County is locked into contract with contract with Brega Transport till 2018. I don't think Westchester would have an interest in operating TZX, because they would have to come with a low bid to secure the contract. This is how Brega secured it. So it's all about the bottom line$$$. However, I think Rockland and Westchester may come together on the BRT. when the bridge is complete. Unfortunately, light rail and rail are futuristic plans at best. BRT is probably the only hope for any improvement in the transit system for Rockland.

Im sure Bee Line would do a better job, but it's a moot point. Rockland County is locked into contract with contract with Brega Transport till 2018. I don't think Westchester would have an interest in operating TZX, because they would have to come with a low bid to secure the contract. This is how Brega secured it. So it's all about the bottom line$$$. However, I think Rockland and Westchester may come together on the BRT. when the bridge is complete. Unfortunately, light rail and rail are futuristic plans at best. BRT is probably the only hope for any improvement in the transit system for Rockland.

Or less stops on the TZX so it becomes deserving of it's name. Cusa and trailways,NYC DOT & Westchester &Rockland can come together to perfect I-287 bus service.

Or less stops on the TZX so it becomes deserving of it's name. Cusa and trailways,NYC DOT & Westchester &Rockland can come together to perfect I-287 bus service.

Yes,hypothetically they could perfect it if they did come together. However, these entities coming together seem highly unlikely.

Coach USA sued Rockland County to get the TZX and TOR back from Brega Transport but lost the case. 

As far as I know, Trailways has no interest in bidding for a contract for Rockland or Westchester.Again, a low bid would be required to secure the contract from Rockland in 2018. Another one of the requirements that Rockland has now is that the operator of TOR and TZX be located in Rockland County: another reason why Brega won the bid, so that eliminates Trailways out of the picture. Trailways is making plenty of money operating within the pool that has been formulated between Peter Pan, Greyhound and themselves.

NYC DOT has far as I know have nothing to do with transportation between Rockland and Westchester.

The MTA does have an interest in Rockland....... and that interest is in the taxes they collect from the residents of Rockland & Westchester.

I agree it would be nice if they did come together to get the system perfect, but again, all the moves that these companies,agencies and municipalities make are financially motivated. 

I guess any chance of full time 3 can get killed by a 78 extension. But still on the fence with either the W13 however needs a huge overhaul in frequency and general there is too much duplication on rte 119. 14 needs to be streamlined,15 is done stick a fork in it,77 &10 need to be redone to better serve people and be more productive 77 currently is on life support. 19 is err WTF.

- Frequency enhancement.... Are you talking about the full BL-13 or the short turn BL-13 b/w Tarrytown & Port Chester?

- Too much duplication on 119?

Don't be ridiculous, that's like saying there's too much duplication on 495 w/ all the buses entering Port Authority....

How else do you expect all those buses from the west to get to Downtown White Plains....

- BL-14 needs to be streamlined? Huh?

With what exactly?

- BL-15.... ehh, it's more or less backup to the BL-14, may as well keep the thing around.... Although I will admit the route could maybe run along the Taconic b/w 133 & Underhill, to get to Yorktown Hgts, Cortlandt Town Center, and Peekskill proper to speed up the trip.....

- The BL-10 I don't have a problem with... I think the BL-11 is the route that not only needs to be re-done, but become defunct (and is worse off than the 10 btw).... Turn those trips into 14's that begin/end at MNRR Croton-Harmon, towards White Plains.... The BL-77, while I happen to agree, what can you even do with that route? I highly doubt having it serve more of Putnam would help, unfortunately....

- What makes the BL-19 "WTF" worthy? Between Ossining & Mt. Kisco, that route is an absolute lifeline.....

- The BL-10 I don't have a problem with... I think the BL-11 is the route that not only needs to be re-done, but become defunct (and is worse off than the 10 btw).... Turn those trips into 14's that begin/end at MNRR Croton-Harmon, towards White Plains.... The BL-77, while I happen to agree, what can you even do with that route? I highly doubt having it serve more of Putnam would help, unfortunately....

- What makes the BL-19 "WTF" worthy? Between Ossining & Mt. Kisco, that route is an absolute lifeline.....

I'm probably gonna have a crazy proposal moment, however, I would make the 77 a limited stop service instead of a sole express service. White Plains to the route 202 corridor is just too short of a service area, especially given the route runs only rush hours. The 77 doesn't even make a single stop in Mahopac, which is a big area, and can get some riders, I guess. I mean, all that needs to be done, is place a stop there.

I would make the 77 a Limited south of Plesantville, and serve WMC & WCC, and that may meaning tinkering with some of the bus routes in the area. It has way too much of a highway segment, where it could relieve some of the services in that area. Since it's a limited variant of the 15 and the 16, maybe 15/77 could be on schedule (better options for 15 riders), and the 77 times between Yorktown and Somers Commons can be placed on the 16 as a snippet.

Here's my proposal

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204750700533050976010.000501a38d5acfd33fd52&msa=0&ll=41.372075,-73.719249&spn=0.023864,0.052314

I'm probably gonna have a crazy proposal moment, however, I would make the 77 a limited stop service instead of a sole express service. White Plains to the route 202 corridor is just too short of a service area, especially given the route runs only rush hours. The 77 doesn't even make a single stop in Mahopac, which is a big area, and can get some riders, I guess. I mean, all that needs to be done, is place a stop there.

I would make the 77 a Limited south of Plesantville, and serve WMC & WCC, and that may meaning tinkering with some of the bus routes in the area. It has way too much of a highway segment, where it could relieve some of the services in that area. Since it's a limited variant of the 15 and the 16, maybe 15/77 could be on schedule (better options for 15 riders), and the 77 times between Yorktown and Somers Commons can be placed on the 16 as a snippet.

Here's my proposal

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204750700533050976010.000501a38d5acfd33fd52&msa=0&ll=41.372075,-73.719249&spn=0.023864,0.052314

Finally getting around to this post....

I get what you're trying to do & agree with it in general..... Good proposal.

Getting down to some specifics.... I wouldn't bother having the 77 serve WCC; I'd have buses go from 119/100 straight to WMC (this would take ppl. off BL-40's, if it's scheduled to come before the 40 @ the transcenter, that is) like the Leprechanun connection bus does..... I agree w/ using Woods rd instead of plaza rd E/W, but having buses directly serve the Halpern Bldg. is unnecessary (keep buses along emergency rd).... Having it directly serve Pace is a good idea, but I wouldn't just stop at Pace for that general area.... What I'd propose, would go hand in hand w/ making it a little more of a variant to the BL-15 b/w it & WP.... 

I'm not all that familar with Carmel, but I think it's time for the 77 to head elsewhere in Carmel (not exactly sure where though).... Everytime I look around, they keep cutting parking spaces @ Carmel bowl.... Now it's down to like 10, from 30 (used to be 60 something just 2 years ago)....

Looking at your proposal there, coming to think of it, there's a few other things I think an expanded 77 should do... I definitely wouldn't have it utilizing as much of the Taconic as it currently does (as that's a large part of the problem), nor as much as you'd (still) would..... The "Taconic Express" is not much more than a brand (name) (so to speak) to allure folks into taking the thing..... But the fact of the matter is (as you said), the service area is way too small.... It still gets its riders of course, but as QJT alluded to, this poor thing is struggling.....

I'm going to make this easier for myself.....

All stops are not shown, but here's a map of what I think should maybe be done (in respect to your proposal)....

>> MAP Here <<

(just look at the lime green line)

Archived