NJT proposals/ideas thread 2012-2013

Not necessary.

I don't know about having the 94 serve linden plz; outside of basic coverage, it really has no business serving Linden RR.... South of roselle park (rt 28; westfield av), barely anyone takes that route.... The route is at its strongest b/w bloomfield (first stop) & irvington.... usage b/w linden & rt 22 is rather lacking....

I can agree w/ the 57 going on to serve rahway, but I really don't agree with it "eating up" the metropark/woodbridge mall branch of the 48.... heading to(wards) elizabeth, usage on the metropark branch > usage on the perth amboy branch.... My problem w/ old 62/new 48 is the routing along inman to get to/from woodbridge mall.... buses really should be running through avenel instead of colonia..... You're basically saying, have the 57 run to metropark so that more 48's can run to perth amboy....

Yeah, I also say 815 north of perth amboy should be eliminated.

Your "proposal C".... yeah, that's good for Jersey City folks, but that's about it.... having the route avoid the areas around downtown elizabeth is a no-no (which is what a rt 1 express would do).....

Man, you really need to learn to explain yourself better... No insults, no funny business, just basic criticism there.

Well dude, in all this madness, right off the bat, I agree w/ you on one thing..... There is demand for service to aviation plz. from rahway....

I wouldn't include the 48 in any of this b/c that has to go on to serve woodbridge & perth amboy (I don't think the old 62 needed/new 48 needs to serve perth amboy no way, but that's somethin else)....

I still don't agree w/ messing with the PABT/NYC lines for the purpose of them serving areas that are better left for local (by that I mean, intra-Jersey) routes to handle.... the 112 would absolutely have no business running out to middlesex mall....

59 is another mess, but that route stays packed.... Usually from Plainfield - Newark...

The route is used moreso than the 113 b/w Dunellen & Plainfield (even from as far out as westfield)....

Union county college service on the 59, I partially agree with what you're saying - I'd say get rid of that & just have the 58 run down for another mile or so to WestfieldRR, since that already serves the college & Elizabeth as well... But you don't need a route looping through winfield coming from westfield & union county college...... Winfield won't allow it.

Interesting then 66 can extend via that routing instead of 58. The new 50 can stay on south ave allowing 113 to lose the branching. Do you think 113x should run outside rush hr its local routing duplicates several other lines.

Yeah I really do need to improve on explaining myself that is the main reason why get flack. Most of my ideas are part of multiple regions and are related to other ideas I have. Like when I come up with a proposal it involves several areas at once. I say things in pieces thus making it very hard for one to make out what I am getting at.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's just that you want to extend routes to areas where the route really do not need service at. 128 extended to Little Ferry? Have you seen the frequency of the buses that leave weekday mornings for that line? 2 minutes during the rush hours. And each bus is at least 80% full by the tunnel. Little Ferry would be a waste of time, gas, and money.

Interesting then 66 can extend via that routing instead of 58. The new 50 can stay on south ave allowing 113 to lose the branching. Do you think 113x should run outside rush hr its local routing duplicates several other lines.

- Thing is though, the 66 wouldn't do anything for union coll. riders tryna get to elizabeth (which is an xfer point, and even moreso now that the old 62's been broken up).... plus the 58 is a little more frequent IINM......

- Definitely don't need 113x's running outside the rush; you would force even more eastbound riders onto 59's...

It's just that you want to extend routes to areas where the route really do not need service at. 128 extended to Little Ferry? Have you seen the frequency of the buses that leave weekday mornings for that line? 2 minutes during the rush hours. And each bus is at least 80% full by the tunnel. Little Ferry would be a waste of time, gas, and money.

I forgot to say SELECT TRIPS off peak only sorry if all trips then yeah it's a waste.

- Thing is though, the 66 wouldn't do anything for union coll. riders tryna get to elizabeth (which is an xfer point, and even moreso now that the old 62's been broken up).... plus the 58 is a little more frequent IINM......

- Definitely don't need 113x's running outside the rush; you would force even more eastbound riders onto 59's...

In reality I am having then transfer to the 52 and 58 lines. Again I never suggested making 58 not serve the college.

I have special plans for the 52 and 58 though to be revealed later on hehe hint some routes will get absorbed and merged with 52 and 58 in segments. These low ridership lines will bite the dust in their current forms and be reborn as lines that align with travel habits of residents there.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

I forgot to say SELECT TRIPS off peak only sorry if all trips then yeah it's a waste.

I don't see how Select Trips would even help. I understand NOW and sorry if I came off hasty, but you get tons of Blvd East ppl even after the rush hour at times. I don't see how going to Little Falls or anyplace else helps.

In reality I am having then transfer to the 52 and 58 lines.

Again I never suggested making 58 not serve the college.

I have special plans for the 52 and 58 though to be revealed later on hehe hint some routes will get absorbed and merged with 52 and 58 in segments. These low ridership lines will bite the dust in their current forms and be reborn as lines that align with travel habits of residents there.

What do you mean "again" ? I know what you never suggested - I know I was the one that brought up the 58....

Furthermore, the 58 already serves the college & neither one of us suggested that it wouldn't or shouldn't.....

59 limited service to the union county college is transferred to the 822 which will be renumbered as 50 the 50 will become Elizabeth-Plainfield via winfield and union county college.

^^ With this, you're suggesting that the 59 spur to the college be eliminated for your "50"....

Partially agreeing with that suggestion of yours, I then suggested that the 58 end at the RR (westfield), since there are college goers that take the 59 to the college from westfield RR.... That 59 spur to the college runs hourly, the 58 runs every 30 mins....

For whatever reason, you then suggested that the 66 do what I was suggesting (running to the RR) instead of the 58.....

----------

As far as whatever you're suggesting w/ the 52 & 58, I don't know as much as I'd like to know about the 52 (as far as ridership patterns), so I'm not gonna comment on that route.

Edited by B35 via Church

812: Old Bridge-Metropark RR Station via Menlo Mall?

816: East Brunswick Mall-Perth Amboy. To get from Perth Amboy to East Brunswick Mall would require a bunch of transfers. I'm debating as to whether this will use US-1 or the NJ-35/Old Bridge/Route 18 combo.

838: Aberdeen-Matawan RR Station-Colts Neck. Ever notice how Veolia doesn't serve Matawan?

839: Atlantic Highlands-Brookdale Community College.

816: East Brunswick Mall-Perth Amboy. To get from Perth Amboy to East Brunswick Mall would require a bunch of transfers. I'm debating as to whether this will use US-1 or the NJ-35/Old Bridge/Route 18 combo.

838: Aberdeen-Matawan RR Station-Colts Neck. Ever notice how Veolia doesn't serve Matawan?

aye yaaaa ohh here we go ok what is stopping connections between 834&833 from improving? Does this line 839 skip red bank?

Keep this up and I may very well just expose some more NJT stuff I had hidden for a while.

I don't see how Select Trips would even help. I understand NOW and sorry if I came off hasty, but you get tons of Blvd East ppl even after the rush hour at times. I don't see how going to Little Falls or anyplace else helps.

For off peak transfers to 168/166 due to increased T trips and 168 leaving blvd E if a line must serve blvd E it must be frequent on its own. 168 is not frequent compared to 165&166 165 I can understand it's service pattern as at off peak 11A runs. If anything the 128 extension will also provide connections with the 161!!!! I can see 168 being 100% T as again zero peak direction trips serve blvd E. I heard 165 & 166 become extremely unreliable due to blvd E. I am not sure on 166 but very sure with 165 though. Edited by qjtransitmaster

- Won't comment on the 838/39..... except I do think Aberdeen/Matawan can use bus service outside of peak 135 service to/from NYC...... Not sure where such a route should go, or even how it should be routed.... Colts neck I never even heard of, and I don't know where Brookdale CC is......

- 812.... I like the idea of connecting rt. 9 (old bridge) locally to other parts of NJ, and I agree that menlo park mall can use another route outside of the 810, but I'm not so sure if combining the two ideas into one route would garner much demand, unfortunately.... everything seems to be about the 139 (and its 50 million variants) in that general part of the state (old bridge, rt 9, etc).....

- 816... sounds like a good idea... How often would you have this run?

For off peak transfers to 168/166 due to increased T trips and 168 leaving blvd E if a line must serve blvd E it must be frequent on its own. 168 is not frequent compared to 165&166 165 I can understand it's service pattern as at off peak 11A runs. If anything the 128 extension will also provide connections with the 161!!!! I can see 168 being 100% T as again zero peak direction trips serve blvd E. I heard 165 & 166 become extremely unreliable due to blvd E. I am not sure on 166 but very sure with 165 though.

Come to Nunguessers on a Monday morning from 5am to 10am and look at the amount of people that get on those buses, no matter if they're 165/166/168. The mass of humanity is amazing. You take the 168 local away, you are taking away a major source for some of those people to get to work. It's not just 165 and 166 now. I've taken 168's where the bus was full when I was getting on at Nunguessers.

- Won't comment on the 838/39..... except I do think Aberdeen/Matawan can use bus service outside of peak 135 service to/from NYC...... Not sure where such a route should go, or even how it should be routed.... Colts neck I never even heard of, and I don't know where Brookdale CC is......

- 812.... I like the idea of connecting rt. 9 (old bridge) locally to other parts of NJ, and I agree that menlo park mall can use another route outside of the 810, but I'm not so sure if combining the two ideas into one route would garner much demand, unfortunately.... everything seems to be about the 139 (and its 50 million variants) in that general part of the state (old bridge, rt 9, etc).....

- 816... sounds like a good idea... How often would you have this run?

Brookdale Community College is on the Outskirts of Red Bank. I was thinking the 838 could go to Freehold Mall if not Colts Neck(BTW, Colts Neck is farther south on NJ-34. Its around the Freehold area.)

Sadly thats the only known bus route in Old Bridge. That and the 67. Nobody even knows the 68,133,138,817,or 818 exists. NJ Transit has to do something to get those routes noticed.

For the 816, I would have it run every 30 minutes. Service would begin at 5:00AM, and the route would be split between Ironbound and Academy Perth Amboy.

Come to Nunguessers on a Monday morning from 5am to 10am and look at the amount of people that get on those buses, no matter if they're 165/166/168. The mass of humanity is amazing. You take the 168 local away, you are taking away a major source for some of those people to get to work. It's not just 165 and 166 now. I've taken 168's where the bus was full when I was getting on at Nunguessers.

Then why are there ZERO peak direction trips towards NY so what your saying is that 168 in reverse serves commuters to paramus while peak it serves NY commuters is that it? Again hourly service is useless to a corridor that carries heavy.

Brookdale Community College is on the Outskirts of Red Bank. I was thinking the 838 could go to Freehold Mall if not Colts Neck(BTW, Colts Neck is farther south on NJ-34. Its around the Freehold area.)

Sadly thats the only known bus route in Old Bridge. That and the 67. Nobody even knows the 68,133,138,817,or 818 exists. NJ Transit has to do something to get those routes noticed.

For the 816, I would have it run every 30 minutes. Service would begin at 5:00AM, and the route would be split between Ironbound and Academy Perth Amboy.

My NJT plan won't work if half the lines are not even known NJT's marketing is HORRID. Here are lines that need to be known 818,406,410,552, the list goes on and on strange thing is the 600 is well known among rail commuters for some reason so linking to rail may get a line noticed. Also many 800s lines go unknown.

Lol 50 million variants: Only variants I know is the 67 (it practically is even though it is a variant of the 137), 68 (again, it's also a 138 variant), 63, 64, 130,132,136,139E,139P, 139 RT, and 139 JT

139E=Englishtown

139P=Pease Road

139 RT=Rt 527 service

139JT=Jackson Township

As many variants as there are of the 139, nothin can be done about it. However the 308 to Six Flags should have this schedule

Weekdays to Six Flags: 8:00 AM, 8:15 AM, 8:20 AM, 8:35 AM, 8:45 AM, 9:00 AM, 10:00AM, and a last 11:00 AM trip.

Weekdays to New York:

2:00 PM, 3:00 PM, 3:30 PM, 4:00 PM, 4:09 PM, 4:18 PM, 4:30 PM, and 5:00 PM, 6:00 PM, and 8:00 PM trip

Weekends practically on its current schedule

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

Lol 50 million variants: Only variants I know is the 67 (it practically is even though it is a variant of the 137), 68 (again, it's also a 138 variant), 63, 64, 130,132,136,139E,139P, 139 RT, and 139 JT

139E=Englishtown

139P=Pease Road

139 RT=Rt 527 service

139JT=Jackson Township

As many variants as there are of the 139, nothin can be done about it. However the 308 to Six Flags should have this schedule

Weekdays to Six Flags: 8:00 AM, 8:15 AM, 8:20 AM, 8:35 AM, 8:45 AM, 9:00 AM, 10:00AM, and a last 11:00 AM trip.

Weekdays to New York:

2:00 PM, 3:00 PM, 3:30 PM, 4:00 PM, 4:09 PM, 4:18 PM, 4:30 PM, and 5:00 PM, 6:00 PM, and 8:00 PM trip

Weekends practically on its current schedule

try 308 so you can taste the schedule. 139 has many variants due to EXTREME RIDERSHIP!!!!! I mean crazy high if its crushed with NJT's POOR marketing imagine 139 ridership if marketing did NOT suck the horror the horror. It may need artics lol.

139E=Englishtown

139P=Pease Road

139 RT=Rt 527 service

139JT=Jackson Township

As many variants as there are of the 139, nothin can be done about it.

1) Did you really think there were literally 50 million variants, I mean come on.....

2) No one was suggesting anything happen to any of its variants...

139 has many variants due to EXTREME RIDERSHIP!!!!!

I mean crazy high if its crushed with NJT's POOR marketing imagine 139 ridership if marketing did NOT suck the horror the horror. It may need artics lol.

I get the general point you're making, but still..... fat chance of that happening....

them riders aint puttin up w/ artics.....

1) Did you really think there were literally 50 million variants, I mean come on.....

2) No one was suggesting anything happen to any of its variants...

1) I never said anything about me thinking there were 50 million carpets. I know you were using a hyperbole.

2) I was just saying nothing can be done about it as a general fact.

Anyways as for the 139 It needs 3 minute headways AM rush.

1) I never said anything about me thinking there were 50 million carpets. I know you were using a hyperbole.

2) I was just saying nothing can be done about it as a general fact.

Anyways as for the 139 It needs 3 minute headways AM rush.

1) You implicated it.... There was no reason to actually list the variants otherwise....

2) right, after listing all the variants.....

Even though the 139 has all these variants, there's nothin that can be done to lessen the amount of variants

That's exactly how that post of yours came off.....

Not unless they're designed like motorcoaches lol

lol... articulated MCI's....

Those things would look like double trailers !

Edited by B35 via Church

1) You implicated it.... There was no reason to actually list the variants otherwise....

2) right, after listing all the variants.....

Even though the 139 has all these variants, there's nothin that can be done to lessen the amount of variants

That's exactly how that post of yours came off.....

lol... articulated MCI's....

Those things would look like double trailers !

double deckers but only if more ppl knew about 139

double deckers but only if more ppl knew about 139

No, I meant double trailers; referring to & resembling two trailers on a truck....

As for double deckers... generally speaking, it's unconventional to use those on a commuter route (yeah, I know megabus uses em)....

regardless, those things can't fit inside PABT anyway.....

Something I been workin on for a lil minute....

don't know why the first post didn't take, but I'm not typing all of what I did over again, so this is gonna be a shorter version....

Restructing the old #62 (2011 bus study)

62 - rahway RR to newark-penn (via EWR, no IKEA)

new routes

806- rahway RR to metropark RR (via carteret, via woodbridge mall)

807- rahway RR to perth amboy (via avenel, no woodbridge mall)

808- rahway RR to woodbridge mall (via colonia [inman av], via metropark RR)

809- rahway RR to cranford RR (via linden & aviation plz's, via linden RR, via cranford business park)

Restructing the old #62 (My ideas)

62- dwntwn. elizabeth to newark-penn (via EWR, via IKEA, via jersey gardens)

57- dwntwn. elizabeth to edison (via linden RR, via linden & aviation plz's, via rahway RR, via colonia [inman av], ends at inman/grove)

[part time 57 service short turns at Linden plaza]

new routes

816- plainfield to perth amboy (via park av, via oak tree rd, via metropark RR, via woodbridge mall)

55- dwntwn. elizabeth to woodbridge mall ---> [1st branch, via avenel..... 2nd branch, via carteret)

^^ this is basically today's 48, except both branches end at woodbridge mall & the 1st branch goes via avenel instead of via colonia.....

side notes (not mapped)

815- cut back to perth amboy

804- service unchanged

(meaning, the 804 would be the only route traveling along wood av; that area hardly saw usage on the old 62 in either direction anyway..... in other words, that area would be relegated to having peak only service.... the 57 extension would only provide service along inman av in the area)

Personally, I think my rendition would end up saving more money overall.....

In any event, for a Map of my ideas: CLICK HERE

** I have other ideas to improve middlesex county as well, but I'm still working on that.... partial credit to TransitKid & QJT.....

Edited by B35 via Church

Something I been workin on for a lil minute....

don't know why the first post didn't take, but I'm not typing all of what I did over again, so this is gonna be a shorter version....

Restructing the old #62 (2011 bus study)

62 - rahway RR to newark-penn (via EWR, no IKEA)

new routes

806- rahway RR to metropark RR (via carteret, via woodbridge mall)

807- rahway RR to perth amboy (via avenel, no woodbridge mall)

808- rahway RR to woodbridge mall (via colonia [inman av], via metropark RR)

809- rahway RR to cranford RR (via linden & aviation plz's, via linden RR, via cranford business park)

Restructing the old #62 (My ideas)

62- dwntwn. elizabeth to newark-penn (via EWR, via IKEA, via jersey gardens)

57- dwntwn. elizabeth to edison (via linden RR, via linden & aviation plz's, via rahway RR, via colonia [inman av], ends at inman/grove)

[part time 57 service short turns at Linden plaza]

new routes

816- plainfield to perth amboy (via park av, via oak tree rd, via metropark RR, via woodbridge mall)

55- dwntwn. elizabeth to woodbridge mall ---> [1st branch, via avenel..... 2nd branch, via carteret)

^^ this is basically today's 48, except both branches end at woodbridge mall & the 1st branch goes via avenel instead of via colonia.....

side notes (not mapped)

815- cut back to perth amboy

804- service unchanged

(meaning, the 804 would be the only route traveling along wood av; that area hardly saw usage on the old 62 in either direction anyway..... in other words, that area would be relegated to having peak only service.... the 57 extension would only provide service along inman av in the area)

Personally, I think my rendition would end up saving more money overall.....

In any event, for a Map of my ideas: CLICK HERE

** I have other ideas to improve middlesex county as well, but I'm still working on that.... partial credit to TransitKid & QJT.....

Is this 816 needed? I walked that area for 30 mins there is nothing there not even cars!!! It looks like you want to add service to 801 or 804 then extend it? My original proposal for middlesex parts that were introduced to NJT involved replacing several 800 series lines with regional lines based off GSP via metropark. Some from journal sq ltd stop in hudson then 2 SI stops then into middlesex replacing parts of 810& 815/814 but with better headways due to SI stops adding ridership thus indirectly related to my brooklyn and SI proposals.