City school kids evicted from 9/11 memorial site after dropping trash

Joe

If anything, the blame isn't on the kids. It's more on the parents for not stepping to the plate and teaching their kids respect back when they were much younger. No, physically "disciplining" their kids isn't going to work because they have a tendency to do more harm than good. Respect, like discipline, is a growing response with consequences, both negative and positive. Apparently, the kids who littered the 9/11 Memorial weren't taught respect by their parents or guardians, and I don't think they have any idea how much this memorial means to this city, country, and world.

In fact, I think Shortline produced a really good idea. The kids have no idea that 9/11 has such a huge impact on lives and the country altogether. I think what could happen is to have a family member who lost loved ones on 9/11 round the class up in the future (either during the summer sessions or in the fall when kids advance) and tell them the story about 9/11, the memorial, and why 9/11 impacts lives daily here in the city. That way, you turn a negative into a positive and make it truly productive.

Well maybe their parents should. After all they are a parent, and that is their job. Hell you don't see the Japanese disrespect their nuke memorials and the Jews disrespect their holocaust memorials, and why? Their parents teach them discipline and respect. Unlike in the United States of America where we allow kids to run like crazy and do what they want without discipline. Shame on America!

Just like how you spurt unnecessary things out then find to realize you messed up?

Not all parents teach kids discipline and respect, USA might not be perfect on that case but this includes everywhere else. I doubt you've even been to Hong Kong because in some areas, the kids are just the same as if I was in Brooklyn.

Hate to say but if this was a concert to say see rapper Nas, since these students came from a EAST NY school, most of them would have had full respect then.

I highly doubt these kids are into Nas like that, the peak of his popularity was in 1996, long before they was born. Jay Z or Lil Wanye would have been a better example, Nas is still making music but he just doesn't have that big of a buzz compared to mainstream rappers IRL, has a major buzz on Hip Hop forums though.

As to the topic, I saw on the news the guards caught one of the kids trying to bring bullets into the Memorial... Crazy!

Not much of a surprise that this is the type of behavior displayed by kids from East New York. Most of their parents probably act the same way and taught this disrespectful behaviour to them,

BIZZ! Wrong!

That's a ridiculous generalization to make. You cannot take the actions of few and assume them upon the many. I know plenty of good people from the East New York / Brownsville area, all of whom would be absolutely shocked by this behavior. These kids acted disgustingly. Period. Don't go saying their parents taught it to them or that the whole neighborhood is like that. That's just plain ignorance.

Honestly, for me, that was the saddest part of the story. That these kids went on a huge trip (my school never took trips that far) which must have cost the school a lot of money, and they just threw it all away like this.

smh, it's just sad that on a local news station down where I was at even reported about this disgusting act of vandalism. No I'm sorry, but defacing a memorial like that deserves some sort of a beating or jail time. You don't go around and basically 'piss on a gravestone' and expect just a slap on the wrist.

The kids and the parents needs to be taught proper behavior. That or some parents shouldn't be allowed to have kids, cuz that's what it looks like here: parents not having either the time or care to teach kids common civil behavior. Sadly these days they get worse and worse, based on seeing how some of them act on the buses when school is done for the day.

That's mad disrespectful of them, seems that parenting has gotten worse over the years, cuz if I was one of those kids, and my mom found out that I was involved in something like that, she would kick me into next week. The fact that they also thought that "it wasn't a big deal" just adds insult to injury ...

This is just the trickle down of "babies having babies" many of these young parents are too busy worrying about what they're going to do on the weekend opposed to raising a child properly and it seems to be a vicious cycle. Don't get me wrong not all young parents fail but the majority can barely take care of themselves let alone another child so what happens...they go out of control and don't learn an ounce of respect.

This is just the trickle down of "babies having babies" many of these young parents are too busy worrying about what they're going to do on the weekend opposed to raising a child properly and it seems to be a vicious cycle.

Worry about what they are doing on the weekend is an understatement HAH! Have you been to East New York or the surrounding areas lately? These lousy parents are hanging out on the streets during the week nights with their babies at 1 am! Ive never seen so many moms pushing around baby strollers past 11PM in my life! Probably leaving a party or from hanging out with friends. I dont know, maybe its just me, I was raised different. We were in bed by 9 PM the latest on school nights.

That whole area is a calamity and it just keeps getting worse. Its no wonder why these kids had live rounds of ammunition with them during this incident. And the kids whos parents do have common sense and are respectable either go to different schools or they go to the same schools as these kids get a horrible education because they are surrounded by a majority of kids who dont want to learn and are a complete disruption to the teaching process. If you grow up there its hard not to get caught up with the garbage and act like this.

Worry about what they are doing on the weekend is an understatement HAH! Have you been to East New York or the surrounding areas lately? These lousy parents are hanging out on the streets during the week nights with their babies at 1 am! Ive never seen so many moms pushing around baby strollers past 11PM in my life! Probably leaving a party or from hanging out with friends. I dont know, maybe its just me, I was raised different. We were in bed by 9 PM the latest on school nights.

That whole area is a calamity and it just keeps getting worse. Its no wonder why these kids had live rounds of ammunition with them during this incident. And the kids whos parents do have common sense and are respectable either go to different schools or they go to the same schools as these kids get a horrible education because they are surrounded by a majority of kids who dont want to learn and are a complete disruption to the teaching process. If you grow up there its hard not to get caught up with the garbage and act like this.

Do these women even know who the father is, or even afford to give them the love and attention they need?

Lets not sugar coat it into where this is going. Being fair lets not turn this into "Black vs. White" issue again guys. The unwed teen rate is also a huge problem for Poorer Whites and Hispanics as well in this country. Not being PC, there also trouble maker white students as well as what happened with Karen Klein and the boys in Rochester, NY area.

Issue is unruly middle school students who screwed up big time and embrass their school for trashing a hisotric site. Just happened the kids and parents are from East NY. And this story getting regional/national attention as well. This is a socetial issue.

Lets not sugar coat it into where this is going. Being fair lets not turn this into "Black vs. White" issue again guys. The unwed teen rate is also a huge problem for Poorer Whites and Hispanics as well in this country. Not being PC, there also trouble maker white students as well as what happened with Karen Klein and the boys in Rochester, NY area.

Issue is unruly middle school students who screwed up big time and embrass their school for trashing a hisotric site. Just happened the kids and parents are from East NY. And this story getting regional/national attention as well. This is a socetial issue.

True. I hope many Americans wake up after all these years of just sitting there and doing nothing, and finally start disciplining their children.

It's not necessarily an issue of being poor. If those kids were making fun of Karen Klein because she did some things that they consider poor people to do (For instance, she got her purse at a supermarket, and they made fun of that) and aside from that, they kept on saying "Ha, ha, ha, she lives in a trailer park" (I assume she doesn't, but either way it's irrelevant). Bad parenting stretches across all social classes, from poor parents who ignore their kids to wealthy parents who spoil them (and often end up as "helicopter parents")

Archived