City school kids evicted from 9/11 memorial site after dropping trash

Joe

image.jpg

"A group of Brooklyn students on a school trip to the National September 11 Memorial & Museum were booted from the hallowed site after they callously hurled trash into its fountains.

The vile vandals from Junior High School 292 in East New York treated the solemn memorial — its reflecting pools honoring the nearly 3,000 people killed in the terror attacks — like a garbage dump.

They kicked us out because of littering in the water. Kids were throwing baseballs in the pond thing,” said eighth-grader Anthony Price, 14, of East New York, who insisted he wasn’t one of the troublemakers.

In addition to the baseballs, witnesses reported seeing empty plastic soda bottles and other refuse in the water on Thursday.

“They were making jokes and throwing stuff in the fountain. It didn’t seem like a big deal,” added another student on the trip who refused to give his name.

Department of Education officials have launched an investigation into the students’ shenanigans."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/city-school-kids-evicted-9-11-memorial-site-dropping-trash-fountains-field-trip-article-1.1101358#ixzz1yoT2emyn

Zero ability to remember the past or consider the future. All that exists is the now. Every morning, the train of thought must be something like "What can I eat, drink, screw or destroy today?" Consequences...what are those?

That's mad disrespectful of them, seems that parenting has gotten worse over the years, cuz if I was one of those kids, and my mom found out that I was involved in something like that, she would kick me into next week. The fact that they also thought that "it wasn't a big deal" just adds insult to injury ...

That's mad disrespectful of them, seems that parenting has gotten worse over the years, cuz if I was one of those kids, and my mom found out that I was involved in something like that, she would kick me into next week. The fact that they also thought that "it wasn't a big deal" just adds insult to injury ...

Yeah, kids need to be taught to respect things like the 9/11 memorial. I know people are going to come onto this thread and talk about how these kids just need to get beaten up more, but how will fearing their parents teach them to respect the memorial? Kids won't learn about right vs. wrong from physical punishment; they'll only care about whether they get beaten or not. When they become adults, they won't have parents to judge right vs. wrong for them anymore (and beat them when they do something wrong). They won't have learned how to be good people. On the other hand, they will have learned to be violent.

Good parenting takes more thought and care than just hitting kids really hard, IMO. That's my opinion; just throwing it out here in anticipation of what others might say.

This behavior is disgusting. I still remember that day vividly as I watched the attacks on CNN. I had just walked from my dorm to the main building on campus on my way to give a tutoring session, which was obviously canceled. That day I never felt more proud to be an American and was ready to fight if need be for my country. Some of my family members worked near the WTC and witnessed the entire thing from their office as it happened and they still get emotional when they talk about it. These kids have no idea how tragic and important of an event 9/11 was. They should've not only been kicked out, but made to clean up their mess first and then banned permanently. Total disrespect not only for the people that perished, but for what they did for their selfish @sses, sacrificing their lives for the survival of others, including them. The kids of today really lack respect in general. It's all about them, what they need and screw everybody else. I can only imagine how pissed the family members of 9/11 must be and rightfully so.

Absolutely appalling behavior. Even almost eleven years ago, I still recall watching the World Trade Center attack from the roof of my building perfectly. As I watched the north tower burn, I witnessed the plane crashing into the middle of the south tower and also the north tower collapsing. This is a memorial site for all of the families who lost their loved ones as a result of this attack. Over 3,000 people perished from this terrorist attack, and even those who weren't affected still tear up the second they see the memorial or talk about 9/11. Littering is bad enough, but to do it at a memorial — especially this one — is absolutely disgusting and completely disrespects the city and country. The 9/11 family members, if they desire to talk about it, have every single right to be upset, and those vandals need to be held accountable for their complete lack of respect for the 3,000 people who perished from that heinous attack.

Over 3,000 people perished from this terrorist attack, and even those who weren't affected still tear up the second they see the memorial or talk about 9/11.

Ehhh, I'm not that affected by it. In fact, this whole scenario is the reason why people are afraid of everything these days

To me, this incident is result of a generational gap. Most of those kids are currently 12, 13, or 14 years old, born in the late 1990s or 2000. They were too young to remember what happened on September 11, 2001, compared to the rest of us.

To me, this incident is result of a generational gap. Most of those kids are currently 12, 13, or 14 years old, born in the late 1990s or 2000. They were too young to remember what happened on September 11, 2001, compared to the rest of us.

Still they need to respect it. I don't see the Japanese people trashing their Hiroshima memorial. I don't see people trash the Vietnam War Memorial. What makes the 9/11 Memorial different? Even today I can't get over the loss of the Twin Towers and the innocent people there that day. If they want to trash something they can trash their own home, but not the World Trade Center Memorial.

Still they need to respect it. I don't see the Japanese people trashing their Hiroshima memorial. I don't see people trash the Vietnam War Memorial. What makes the 9/11 Memorial different? Even today I can't get over the loss of the Twin Towers and the innocent people there that day. If they want to trash something they can trash their own home, but not the World Trade Center Memorial.

It's also up to the parents to teach their children about what happened on days such as 9/11 or events such as World War II. Without education, these children will continue to desecrate these sacred memorials.

Damn it. Can anything be kept clean in the city for once without it being defaced or trashed! This is complete disrespect on a whole level. I hope these kids make a public apology to all the families and friends of the 3000 lives that were lost on 9/11.

Hate to say but if this was a concert to say see rapper Nas, since these students came from a EAST NY school, most of them would have had full respect then.

Not much of a surprise that this is the type of behavior displayed by kids from East New York. Most of their parents probably act the same way and taught this disrespectful behaviour to them,

Not much of a surprise that this is the type of behavior displayed by kids from East New York. Most of their parents probably act the same way and taught this disrespectful behaviour to them,

Not to mention it's gives unfairly, a bad reputation nationwide to other school kids from East NY, Brooklyn who would been well behaved as well on this school trip.

Hate to say but if this was a concert to say see rapper Nas, since these students came from a EAST NY school, most of them would have had full respect then.

I would replace Nas with Nicki Minaj or Drake since Nas caters more to older hip-hop fans.

I would replace Nas with Nicki Minaj or Drake since Nas caters more to older hip-hop fans.

Drake as a hard core rapper lol? I remember him 8-10 years ago on Canada's TV based "Degrassi: The Next Generation" as a young teen. In sense Drake joins Rick Springfield as a former soap opera star/actor to make transition to pop star lol.

Back to seriousness of topic. I think maybe a wife/husband or Parent who lost a loved on 9/11 should also be a guest speaker to these kids as well to understand why this is not an regular "park." :mellow:

Drake as a hard core rapper lol? I remember him 8-10 years ago on Canada's TV based "Degrassi: The Next Generation" as a young teen. In sense Drake joins Rick Springfield as a former soap opera star to make transition to pop star lol.

Back to seriousness of topic. I think maybe a wife/husband or Parent who lost a loved on 9/11 should also be a guest speaker to these kids as well to understand why this is not an regular "park." :mellow:

I agree.

Well maybe their parents should. After all they are a parent, and that is their job. Hell you don't see the Japanese disrespect their nuke memorials and the Jews disrespect their holocaust memorials, and why? Their parents teach them discipline and respect. Unlike in the United States of America where we allow kids to run like crazy and do what they want without discipline. Shame on America!

Archived