Hiring Freeze

DOB2RTO

I always thought they were overstaffed and that's why they kept so many people on the waiting list and thus had high demand for the positions.

The TA is never overstaffed in the operating positions. Right now they are getting close to the amount of T/O's they need. They have around 4000 when they have been carrying around 3200-3300 for years now. People retire, get fired, demoted, promoted, and resign every single day.

They have the list because that how all civil service jobs work.

They have high demand for the jobs because these days civil service jobs are in demand mostly because of the pension and retirement. In the 60's and

70's nobody wanted these jobs.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heck, I would have taken it quickly if I was born back then lol The DOE offers pensions but it comes out of your own pockets. That's why I don't have one after working for the DOE for close to 5 years. Hopefully my saved up vacation and sick days will transfer over to the MTA. I guess I got lucky with my job. I never had to do any Civil Service exam or anything for it. Started off as an intern and now I'm "permanent".

who is in charge of this with laying of 1,500 worker and raising the fares and cutting service that`s not right i wanna know. does anyone think if i write a letter to the mta will they tell the truth or a lie about y they wanna do this the real truth y they wanna do all this and not a b/s answer.

who is in charge of this with laying of 1,500 worker and raising the fares and cutting service that`s not right i wanna know. does anyone think if i write a letter to the mta will they tell the truth or a lie about y they wanna do this the real truth y they wanna do all this and not a b/s answer.

Don't even bother writing a letter Igor,save your stamp. Whoever thought things would get this bad for everybody that is on any of the lists.

well you got a good point there Locomotion69 no matter how hard you try to shake the truth out of them the more run around lies they tell you and they don`t care what you or me or the people say hey i tryed in my opinon in order for the cuts not to happen and all this is people need to team up i mean not just me but millions of people write letters and say it not fare but on the other hand if fare goes up that adds up to some fare beating people more people wil try 2 beat the fare so like i said put mta cops on every bus write them 100 dollar summons that`s were they will make some money back.

well you got a good point there Locomotion69 no matter how hard you try to shake the truth out of them the more run around lies they tell you and they don`t care what you or me or the people say hey i tryed in my opinon in order for the cuts not to happen and all this is people need to team up i mean not just me but millions of people write letters and say it not fare but on the other hand if fare goes up that adds up to some fare beating people more people wil try 2 beat the fare so like i said put mta cops on every bus write them 100 dollar summons that`s were they will make some money back.

MTA police don't patrol the buses or subways. NYPD transit police handle that and they work for Bloomberg who obviously hates mass transit unless the city doesn't have to pay a penny.

MTA police don't patrol the buses or subways. NYPD transit police handle that and they work for Bloomberg who obviously hates mass transit unless the city doesn't have to pay a penny.

B/c Bloomberg works for the City for free and he doesn't ride the trains @ all.....another loser

He doesn't work for free. He gets paid a penny. He also DOES take the subway. http://gothamist.com/2007/08/01/mayor_bloomberg_29.php

Bloomberg does work for a penny a year which deflected the attention away from him giving his sister a HIGH paying city job without the credentials to deserve it!

He shouldn't use his own money he should allocate the FAIR amount of city funds a year for mass transit. Instead of giving his billionaire friends all of these sweet heart deals that he's been giving out for his entire 2 terms.

Bloomberg does work for a penny a year which deflected the attention away from him giving his sister a HIGH paying city job without the credentials to deserve it!

He shouldn't use his own money he should allocate the FAIR amount of city funds a year for mass transit. Instead of giving his billionaire friends all of these sweet heart deals that he's been giving out for his entire 2 terms.

Now that is different and I agree.

Right now I am burned out. I can't take this stress any longer. I've decided that I'm moving on to other projects. It's going to be far too long for me to wait until the MTA hires again. And when are they going to hire, especially when they are planning on CUTTING 1500 workers? Forget it! I will not be surprised if they decide to cut some of these exam lists off all together.

Right now I am burned out. I can't take this stress any longer. I've decided that I'm moving on to other projects. It's going to be far too long for me to wait until the MTA hires again. And when are they going to hire, especially when they are planning on CUTTING 1500 workers? Forget it! I will not be surprised if they decide to cut some of these exam lists off all together.

A high up TA person told me yesterday that there is NOT a hiring freeze for the TA's "essential" employees. This means C/R's, T/O's, and bus drivers among others.

Don't know for sure if this is true but it makes sense. The jobs that are being rumored to get cut are station clerks and clerical jobs.

well the new ones yea but not the current ones that are to be posted for call off if they cut the exam 8006 nycta mta or mta bus 2901 to be taken soon. well people that took 8006 will ***** trust me they will i would to because it`s not fair.

They haven't even yet established the eligibles list for exam 8006..by civil service law the list remains active for 4 years. I don't think they will just throw out exam 8006 like if it was a piece of garbage.

right now i`m looking for anyjob until the city calls me. i worked at a ford dealership parking cars and road testing the car lessoning for any bad defects. to bad they layed me off

Sorry to hear that Igor. You can try temp agencies. They are always hiring especially during this time of the year. Craigslist is also good for one time or short term gigs.

There are some states that don't have a budget deficit right now. Montana and Wyoming are two of them. Cost of living is way lower than here,but of course the salaries are way lower. I know moving out of state to find steady employment is always one of the last options for people.

A high up TA person told me yesterday that there is NOT a hiring freeze for the TA's "essential" employees. This means C/R's, T/O's, and bus drivers among others.

Don't know for sure if this is true but it makes sense. The jobs that are being rumored to get cut are station clerks and clerical jobs.

I got to see it to believe it.

Sorry to hear that Igor. You can try temp agencies. They are always hiring especially during this time of the year. Craigslist is also good for one time or short term gigs.

There are some states that don't have a budget deficit right now. Montana and Wyoming are two of them. Cost of living is way lower than here,but of course the salaries are way lower. I know moving out of state to find steady employment is always one of the last options for people.

I understand that you'd like a temporary job, but I found that temp agencies are horrible to deal with. I've been to my share of them and am also in the same situation.

I find that they are not always hiring. I've been informed by quite a few that there are no jobs available and I'd have to call back every so often. On top of that, there have been times where the person is unavailable to take your call. I've been told that they would call me back when they never did. And this is after a couple of calls.

And then there are off the book jobs. And seasonal jobs.

• 2 weeks later...
i`ve had that but me i if i don`t hear anything from them i go back in person and say look guys u promised weres what u promised me

That is true about temp agencies,they tell you things that you want to hear. Some of us can wait longer than others for this bus operator job. As time passes maybe some of us will lose interest and decline once we get notified by mail.

Archived