Hiring Freeze

DOB2RTO

It can't be frozen. My husband got a letter last month to come in and do the medical stuff. He starts Nov. 17th. He got called off of the Conductor exam given in 2004 and he got a score of 94!. I understand the confusion and frustration.

Bus operator list 5025 is frozen right now, not too sure about conductors.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It can't be frozen. My husband got a letter last month to come in and do the medical stuff. He starts Nov. 17th. He got called off of the Conductor exam given in 2004 and he got a score of 94!. I understand the confusion and frustration.

Neither do I. Either they are hiring and 180 is lying their teeth off or they are under a hiring freeze.

It'll be too long of a wait for me. When and if they call, I'm here. But I got to live right now too.

Their HR Dept has got to go IMO.

Hey Hey. The freeze should be over any day now for Bus Operators. There are 5 guys who have retired in the last 2 weeks in my depot alone. They haven't hired since June.

I am not speaking for anything other than Bus Operators. Remain patient. We are hearing that there will be one class before the end of the year and then there will be one class a month next year, rotating between list 5025 and the mabstoa list. They want to start using 8006 by next September.

I said it before, and I'll say it one last time. Be patient. Alot of us who work for them, had to wait a long time before being hired. It doesn't seem worth the wait, and I felt the same way you all did, waiting for 3.5 years for buses, and nearly 5 years for train operator. When it comes it comes, but don't just trash it when it comes, due to the fact of being very upset with the wait. Another T/O class is due for January, which starting with the classes this year, they had 60 (IIRC) for March, 80 of us for July, around 40-45 for August, and another 20+ during the first week of October. They go through alot of people to get these classes.

Getting a job with TA, is just like I told you all from the beginning. It can be a few month, it can be several years. Just do something that can prepare you for when it comes. Want to drive a bus and don't have a CDL, save some money, get one, and go work for a charter company. This is what I done while I kept applying at Liberty Lines, to just keep getting the run around, until I applied for MaBSTOA, then got a letter from MTA, and a call from Liberty on the same day to be hired. Of course I went with TA. The wait was gruesome, and my former co-workers from Campus Coach can tell you how I was dying to get out of there, to start a career with TA. I complained daily, but there were a few others there (about 5), who were on TA's lists for B/O before I applied, and they waited for almost 4 years. So I just stop complaining, and just waited. It's all one can do.........

DOB said it perfect. Enjoy the process. This is the last time in your life that you will ever have to wait for a good job. Once this is done, you are set. The big problem around the city in general is that nobody is retiring. The NYPD will not have a class in January, Sanitation is thinking about laying workers off, and then rehiring them once senior guys retire. Like I have said many times before, enjoy the process.

HEY! I took that test as well! I scored a 90! I'll have to call and see what list # they are up to.

DOB said it perfect. Enjoy the process. This is the last time in your life that you will ever have to wait for a good job. Once this is done, you are set. The big problem around the city in general is that nobody is retiring. The NYPD will not have a class in January, Sanitation is thinking about laying workers off, and then rehiring them once senior guys retire. Like I have said many times before, enjoy the process.

Enjoy the process? what are you smoking Mr.Frusci? lol...this "waiting process" is more painful then getting a tooth pulled.:eek:

Enjoy the process? what are you smoking Mr.Frusci? lol...this "waiting process" is more painful then getting a tooth pulled.:eek:

I agree with Loco 69. There's nothing to enjoy when you're so close and yet so far away from getting accpeted to a training class. That was my situation back in April. 180 messed everything up when it came to my background check, drug screening test and medical processing. I even got fingerprinted. After that, I was not accepted. Why? Because I worked for MTA Bus in a clerical position back in 2005. They needed to do a special background check on that.

It's very painful to sit and wait and wait and wait. I've been more than patient with 180 and this process. But to be lied to on a consistent basis? To be talked to in an unprofessional and rude manner when all that you're asking are simple questions? And you want me to enjoy this process while unemployed and looking for work on a daily basis?

This is a career job to have. I want to do this. But this process is killing me.

I can't wait any longer. I need a job.

I agree with Loco 69. There's nothing to enjoy when you're so close and yet so far away from getting accpeted to a training class. That was my situation back in April. 180 messed everything up when it came to my background check, drug screening test and medical processing. I even got fingerprinted. After that, I was not accepted. Why? Because I worked for MTA Bus in a clerical position back in 2005. They needed to do a special background check on that.

It's very painful to sit and wait and wait and wait. I've been more than patient with 180 and this process. But to be lied to on a consistent basis? To be talked to in an unprofessional and rude manner when all that you're asking are simple questions? And you want me to enjoy this process while unemployed and looking for work on a daily basis?

This is a career job to have. I want to do this. But this process is killing me.

I can't wait any longer. I need a job.

Gary, I hear you man. I took 9 tests since 2003! Not one hit yet... Full-time School, and managing my restaurant at the moment is the only thing I have going for me at the current time. I want "A" City job so bad ;). At this point, I don't care what it is....:eek::mad::confused:

Good point. So I guess they are the ones you need to suck up to?

Yeah because as long as your Extra C/R'S 1 YR T/O's 2 1/2 Years the Crew office will try to control your life. Like they always give you early jobs on your Monday and the late jobs on your Friday. I never made plans on the Extra list because every time I tried think I got (C) job out of 168 St I ended up falling to the Board because the regular T/O resumed work from being Sick then I end up picking up a full 8 Hour Jobs at some where like Continenal. I just did it because its part of the beast. The only thing I didn't like about that is being on the clock for 12 to 14 Hours other wise I love a challege of operating diffrent lines. Now that I can pick I choose regular jobs because I want to control my own schedule. However I always do something diffent every pick and drive T/O's behind me nuts because I am so unpredictable the last 2 Years I been picking I said I would never go to QNS and I did it .

Yeah because as long as your Extra C/R'S 1 YR T/O's 2 1/2 Years the Crew office will try to control your life. Like they always give you early jobs on your Monday and the late jobs on your Friday. I never made plans on the Extra list because every time I tried think I got (C) job out of 168 St I ended up falling to the Board because the regular T/O resumed work from being Sick then I end up picking up a full 8 Hour Jobs at some where like Continenal. I just did it because its part of the beast. The only thing I didn't like about that is being on the clock for 12 to 14 Hours other wise I love a challege of operating diffrent lines. Now that I can pick I choose regular jobs because I want to control my own schedule. However I always do something diffent every pick and drive T/O's behind me nuts because I am so unpredictable the last 2 Years I been picking I said I would never go to QNS and I did it .

You never know how long you will be extra. As a T/O I was extra extra for almost 4 years while my cousin later on was extra extra for 9 months, uncle picked a job while still in school car. C/R's it's more predictable because there is ALOT more movement because of better promotion opportunities.

Must be busy Mr. Frusci. Haven't seen you for a while on here. Talking about NYPD, they laid off a class of soon to be officers in the academy.......

If you think the HR dept is rude just wait until you have to deal with the crew assignment section and local supervision.

No matter where you go, there's always someone who doesn't like their job and shows their rudeness. We're not in a perfect world. But I mean, you got to wonder how and why these rude people get ahead of ieveryone else. If you don't like or don't want to do your job then simply quit and get something else.

Gary, I hear you man. I took 9 tests since 2003! Not one hit yet... Full-time School, and managing my restaurant at the moment is the only thing I have going for me at the current time. I want "A" City job so bad :(. At this point, I don't care what it is....:eek::mad::confused:

A City Job is security and early retirement. I've taken tests since that time too. Not sure if it is as many as you've taken but I have my share.

Here's my little history: I was in the NYPD back in 2004. I resigned because I hated it with a passion. I felt like the job was not a fit for me. Then, I worked for Queens Surface/MTA Bus in 2004-2005. I loved the job, but I resigned because it was part time, and Queens Surface was going to lay me off when the MTA took over-that never happened but it was going to remain a p/t position. Also I found other full time employment and had to give up MTAB but that Full-Time job wound up cutting back work loads and hours by a drastic number. Plus, there was much favoritism, unfairness and backstabbing. So I resigned. And it's been 2 years.

I'm having a few dilemmas since that time:

1. I'm debating whether or not to go back to school.

2. I'm debating if I'm going to go to a driving school to learn how to operate a bus or not.

3. Lack of funds.

I feel like my mind is turning to mush at times. At least you have a full time job and you're able to keep yourself going.

I have nothing. I'm spending my ample time applying for jobs that I get no responses back from. When you try and do the right thing by touching base with these companies, they either give you the runaround or the quick exit.

A City Job is security and early retirement. I've taken tests since that time too. Not sure if it is as many as you've taken but I have my share.

Here's my little history: I was in the NYPD back in 2004. I resigned because I hated it with a passion. I felt like the job was not a fit for me. Then, I worked for Queens Surface/MTA Bus in 2004-2005. I loved the job, but I resigned because it was part time, and Queens Surface was going to lay me off when the MTA took over-that never happened but it was going to remain a p/t position. Also I found other full time employment and had to give up MTAB but that Full-Time job wound up cutting back work loads and hours by a drastic number. Plus, there was much favoritism, unfairness and backstabbing. So I resigned. And it's been 2 years.

I'm having a few dilemmas since that time:

1. I'm debating whether or not to go back to school.

2. I'm debating if I'm going to go to a driving school to learn how to operate a bus or not.

3. Lack of funds.

I feel like my mind is turning to mush at times. At least you have a full time job and you're able to keep yourself going.

I have nothing. I'm spending my ample time applying for jobs that I get no responses back from. When you try and do the right thing by touching base with these companies, they either give you the runaround or the quick exit.

A city job is security,no doubt about that. As far as early retirement goes that only applies to people who start out young working for the city. But yes it must be great to be able to collect a full pension before age 62.

Have you thought about working for yourself Bee Flexible? Nothing is more satisfying than being your own boss. Yes,I know you are thinking that it takes money to make money but not in all cases. Start out small and grow.

Must be busy Mr. Frusci. Haven't seen you for a while on here. Talking about NYPD, they laid off a class of soon to be officers in the academy.......

The NYPD can absorb it,the dept is over anyway. Besides they got a new contract,so we shouldn't hear anymore complaints about their pay. Not sure if you can say that about the MTA.

It looks like the real hiring Freeze / Layoffs may begin next year for operating personal. If they eliminate the (W) thats 30 T/O and C/R's jobs cut.

They aren't even considering laying off operating personell. Just station clerks. Even if they cut service as threatened they would just stop or slow down the hiring.

Remember the TA operates under staffed in C/R and T/O's almost always that's why there is so much ovetime options on your days off. They rather be undermanned and pay people o.t. than hire the amount of people they actual need and pay the extra benefits to those employees.

Archived