Hiring Freeze

DOB2RTO

The way things are going, we can be waiting months or even years before we get called and by the time they do call, the lists could expire.

I HATE TEMP agencies! They are no help and they don't know what exactly a person is looking for. All they want to do is to make a profit from a person getting a job. Also, your job status is always unknown. You can be let go at the most unexpected moment. Trust me, I've been through my share of them and I HATE THEM! :mad:

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was with Active Staffing on W 33rd St and Labor ready on Jackson Ave in Long Island City,Queens. Active kept me busy but labor ready was very slow,a temp job here and there but nothing steady. The people who worked in that office always came late,let the phones ring,were rude,etc. This goes back about 10 years ago though.

You know the economy is bad when you still see day laborers on corners waiting to get picked up for jobs in the mid to late afternoon. There are a lot of them in Woodside near where I live.

I'm awaiting to hear back from Access Staffing and a School Bus Company. I just applied online for both yesterday.

I may also check out 180 Livingston again before the upcoming Holiday just to make sure that my number was not skipped over as they are up to it on List 2801. Another reason why I may go to 180 is because a friend of mine informed me that the freeze may be lifted soon as they are in demand for new drivers. I hope it's the light at the end of the tunnel but we'll see what happens. I need proof for myself to believe that it is true.

I live in Woodside too but my area is fairly quiet. My guess is that you are near 69 Street? I see the day laborers there all of the time. Please feel free to contact me by email if you don't want to disclose the street on the board.

I am nobody important on here,I live in the low 70's a couple of blocks south of Woodside Ave.It is on the Elmhurst/Woodside border. It is quiet as well where I live but when I am running errands I pass by them. The day laborers hang around from Queens Blvd/69th St all the way up to 37th Ave/69th St near the BQE. Obviously on Roosevelt Ave as well,from 73rd St down to about 65th St.

Posting just means he is learning the routes. Also just found out today they may have Cancelled the next T/O's class that was going to begin School car this month the Real hiring Freeze may be starting. I think they just going to hold everything until they find out what Gov. Patterson is going to do.

• 3 weeks later...
Called HR today and they stated that the hiring freeze will be until summer 2009 (most likely) Anyone else hear anything different?

Also when you call the 212 automated, anyone hear if they are on outstanding certification?

Thanks

What I have been told is that there is NO hiring freeze for the TA's essential employees. T/O's, B/O's, and C/R's.

The hiring freeze is for the city but the MTA isn't a city agency.

What I have been told is that there is NO hiring freeze for the TA's essential employees. T/O's, B/O's, and C/R's.

So hiring freeze is for 5025 because it is a city test, but not for MTA lists?

So hiring freeze is for 5025 because it is a city test, but not for MTA lists?

I don't know what 5025 is, but I do know that the TA is hiring. I see students everyday for different titles. And they just recently hired new high priced managers.

I don't know what 5025 is, but I do know that the TA is hiring. I see students everyday for different titles. And they just recently hired new high priced managers.

5025 is the NYC B/O exam from 2006. List has been frozen since June 2008. Hr says this list should be frozen until summer 2009

5025 is the NYC B/O exam from 2006. List has been frozen since June 2008. Hr says this list should be frozen until summer 2009

They may not need B/O's right now. They are consolidating the all of the buses and may have enough operators right now. From June 2008 until now is only 6 months. That is NOT a long gap in hiring off of any list. Sometimes they will go 1 or 1.5 years in between classes off of the same list.

The TA may want to hire only the bare minimum right now hoping that the governor gets the new pension tier passed. They would then hire more with that diminished pension.

I've heard this as well.

There's a freeze and yet T/Os B/Os and C/Rs are getting hired. I just don't get it.

At the same time, when you ask 180 what the situation is, they tell you that EVERYTHING is frozen. So you don't know who or what to believe.

My belief-expect to wait a long time...I don't even bother going to 180anymore. I know what my answer will be and that was a 2008 thing for me. My thing for 2009 is if they need me...they have my information...they know how to contact me. Then I'll be ready to go. Otherwise, I got a life to live.

It's like I'm waiting for the B30 bus to show up.

Archived