Nassau Inter-County Express Proposals and Ideas

VWM

True, but I'd rather let the some new route do that do that, and before anyone bashes me for that, NICE would start a new route at one minute headways, and I don't think Nassau Blvd needs Sunday service yet. Also the times the n36 operates would be good for a new service. The route would go to Great Neck via Nassau Blvd, Marcus Avenue, and Lakeville Road providing a faster way to Get to Great Neck from Intermidate points north of Hillside along the n25 route.

As for the n14 customers at the northern point of the route can walk to the n16, as well as those western customers, just make the n16 timed-to the NY Express Bound trains.

I just thought of an idea.

N1: Extended to Freeport. The n1 would run to Lynbrook via the n31/n32, then run along the n36 to Freeport (combined with the n36) The bus route label I care less about but that's an option, to at least minimize resources. I always thought when I pass by on the n32 the times I went to Hempstead that the n1 terminal in Hewlett was there just for turning reasons. I never understood why the n1 didn't run to Lynbrook to aid with the n31/n32.

Sorry but N14 is in dire need for ridership It's better for the future of N14 to do this than start a new route. It will come from the same garage if N14 was doing well then yes NICE is in no position to make new routes sadly. That line is starving feed the poor line man.!!

That's a little overkill, don't you think? ;)

Understatement man!!! Start with 20 min rush and 60 min off peak basically = to old N14 headways on basic level. Reason is simple cause N1 is timed with N32/31 that would be duplication. I already sent NICE that idea of merging N1 with N36.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Basically NICE can kill off the N80 and a few lightly used lines and restructure them into more useful ones. N80 eliminated northern portion replaced by rerouted N74 which will no longer serve wantagh and travel via N jerusalem ave towards meadowbrook rd replacing former N52 then ends in freeport it can replace that industrial branch of N62 to gain ridership but who knows. Then let it be mon-friday regains all lost service on weekdays. Ridership will be watched. N73 becomes rush hour only eliminating sat service. N73 will concentrate on meeting LIRR peak trains at wantagh.

Southern part of N80 replaced by rerouted N81 which replaces N19 between sunrise mall and babylon via unqua rd and merrick rd.

Service span may increase IF ridership increases. Eliminating N19's babylon segment.

N19 gets upgraded on it's core route but reroutes to replace N71 on carmans road towards Farmingdale LIRR links to N70 Or replaces N95 IF needed which I doubt but maybe others can shed light this is however a thought.

Why N71 simple you can't leave N81 southern part without service so it's transferred to rerouted N71.

Obliterate N50 BUT have N79/78 replace N50 until N jerusalem then via N46 routing to bellmore. Bellmore ave does not need full-time service. Let N24 east meadow trips replace it Off-peak service is not needed. Adds 20 mins of runtime to N79 seriously both are very short lines. If N37 can be merged out then so can N50 at this point it would be better for the route's ridership. N79 extension to bellmore. Summers to jones beach But it stays put there. N73 gets additional summer service to reflect demand to the beaches you know what I am talking about.

Some saturday morning N79 short turns from manetto hill rd get added.  Saturday N49 I am not really sure on to be honest. N79 sat trips my just end at hempstead tpk to represent replacement.

N48/49/51/55/54  first upgrade N55 service to every 30 mins upgrade N54 service to every 40 mins then eliminate N47/46/51 3 lines with embarrassing ridership levels go bye bye. N49 gets upgraded as well for a reason.

N54 rerouted via new bridge rd and E meadow to NCC then RFM then via stewart to mineola via county seat Dr. Powered up N55 makes up for jerusalem service. Powered up N54 sort of makes up for N51/46. N79 extension makes up for N50/46/47. To avoid overserving newbridge due to N79/78. N49 changes.

To make up for N51's death N48 rerouted to merrick via merrick ave continues to freeport via sunrise hwy. Powered up N49 makes up for front st service. Due to low ridership former N51 folks looking for NCC must transfer to rerouted N54 this is what happens when you don't use your bus.

To avoid over serving new bridge and duplication some N49 trips reroute to jerusalem ave replacing parts of N74 and N73. Jerusalem ridership should increase due to new service to jericho quad. 

This gets rid of lightly used routes and takes their segments and puts them to productive uses increasing potential of these corridors the lines should do better in this form. This is consolidation of resources and puts more service on the strong segments duplication is reduced.

Sadly NICE is not allowed to outright kill off those weak lines and rethink how to serve those areas without a committee vote. But at least this way no significant corridor loses service outright it's just the weak dead lines that bite the dust I guess N80 is just not worth saving.

In a nutshell N80/51/50/46/47 get canned and replaced by rerouted N74/48/49/81/54 and extended N79/78.

Well I doubt NICE would make some of the changes you're suggesting. I know I wouldn't change the routings of the N54/55, N79, N48/49, given the amount of packed buses on the routes daily.

The upgraded levels on service on lines left alone makes up for it. N54 thing is just to get rid of the N46 N79 extension eliminates N50 and N48 reroute is offset by powered up N49 thus killing off N51. But NICE can't make route cuts making this plan hard to implement.

Offset by powered up N55 & 49. Sorry but if you don't use it you lose it sort of. But sometimes alternating between different routes for frequency on one corridor just doesn't work. It can work very well with trains but not buses. Transfers between trains are more seamless than between buses. But all cuts are offset one way or another.

How many board on N49 going to front street? Does the N49 kinda eat the N50's lunch?

Those changes take 3 bus trips and turn them into 2 bus or just 1 bus trips. For example the BOCES center in bellmore to reach it from plainview you currently need 3 buses N79 to 50 to 46 that is madness. Who would put up with that? No direct link to hempstead tpk from that area Many N79 folks transfer to either LIRR or other buses. I mean yeah with the current contract it would be hard to implement but look into these closer.

I'm pretty sure the N49 eats the N50's lunch. The difference is that it's not because of Newbridge Road generating many trips, it's because of the N49's terminals and the areas it serves outside of Newbridge Road. The N50 is just needed for coverage.

Hempstead Bus Terminal - Front Street- Hempstead Turnpike/Nassau Hospital/Walmart Shopping Center - Hicksville LIRR Station- Broadway Mall - Broadway - Whole Foods - Jericho Quad.

By Comparison the N48 doesn't serve as many trip generating destinations but is needed for coverage and to serve the Jail/ Family Court/ etc.

The N50, virtually useless.  How many people use it?

QJ, what do you base your routings on? It seems like your ideas are based coverage and not trip generating destinations or corridors. Or, if they do go to a trip generating destination it's on one end of the route while the other is end is useless.   If I started a bus line from Syosset to Jones Beach, it's not suddenly going to get riders. People in East Nassau drive and have multiple cars, and certainly wouldn't catch the bus to go to the Beach, it's not as simple as extending lines here and there.

For example, The N6 works because it connects Jamaica Queens and Hempstead. You have major destinations on both ends with connections to many other buses, as well as the subway. On top of that there are bus connections and businesses along the route, you have residents that use the route and there is a nice turn over of passengers.  All those factors make it crowded and heavily used.  

If I suddenly decide that the N6 should use Stuart Ave instead of Hempstead Turnpike, the ridership would plummet. Residents in Garden City drive their luxury cars and wouldn't be caught on the bus, and there are no businesses along Stuart Ave to generate trips, the only riders that would still deem it useful would be those only going between Hempstead and Jamaica and those transferring to the N25. We see how the N6x turned out, literally bypassing the ACTUAL RIDERSHIP. It's like, yeah the bus goes to the subway which is a trip generating destination, but it needs passengers and trips to originate somewhere!

I'm pretty sure the N49 eats the N50's lunch. The difference is that it's not because of Newbridge Road generating many trips, it's because of the N49's terminals and the areas it serves outside of Newbridge Road. The N50 is just needed for coverage.

Hempstead Bus Terminal - Front Street- Hempstead Turnpike/Nassau Hospital/Walmart Shopping Center - Hicksville LIRR Station- Broadway Mall - Broadway - Whole Foods - Jericho Quad.

By Comparison the N48 doesn't serve as many trip generating destinations but is needed for coverage and to serve the Jail/ Family Court/ etc.

The N50, virtually useless.  How many people use it?preaching to the choir much.

QJ, what do you base your routings on? It seems like your ideas are based coverage and not trip generating destinations or corridors. Or, if they do go to a trip generating destination it's on one end of the route while the other is end is useless.   If I started a bus line from Syosset to Jones Beach, it's not suddenly going to get riders. People in East Nassau drive and have multiple cars, and certainly wouldn't catch the bus to go to the Beach, it's not as simple as extending lines here and there.

For example, The N6 works because it connects Jamaica Queens and Hempstead. You have major destinations on both ends with connections to many other buses, as well as the subway. On top of that there are bus connections and businesses along the route, you have residents that use the route and there is a nice turn over of passengers.  All those factors make it crowded and heavily used.  

If I suddenly decide that the N6 should use Stuart Ave instead of Hempstead Turnpike, the ridership would plummet. Residents in Garden City drive their luxury cars and wouldn't be caught on the bus, and there are no businesses along Stuart Ave to generate trips, the only riders that would still deem it useful would be those only going between Hempstead and Jamaica and those transferring to the N25. We see how the N6x turned out, literally bypassing the ACTUAL RIDERSHIP. It's like, yeah the bus goes to the subway which is a trip generating destination, but it needs passengers and trips to originate somewhere!

So bus routes in highly residential sections of Nassau aren't going to generate much patronage, especially if most of them drive.

Stuart you mean stewart? Well that road duplicated the LIRR hempstead tpk doesn't. My proposal does get rid of the N50 but also adds a 1 seat connection to hempstead tpk lines from N79/78. There are a few businesses along S broadway but N80 doesn't go to areas with alot of people. My rerouted N74 does. And links to more different routes than the current N74 and N80 N jerusalem gains a bus service as a result of this reroute. Your right N50 is completely useless I've been on it even the roads it uses other than newbridge are barely used by cars!!! I try to mix it up by getting routes away from just residential the N74 reshape gives it a bit more purpose. N79 extension is consolidation. N49 reroute is coverage due to removal of N74 and N73 reduction/truncation. N48 change is coverage meant to get rid of N51. N54 reroute is meant to add trip generators to what was once N46 Or N46 stays but with reroute leaving N55/54 as is. N80 gets the axe. I travel to these areas and observe surrounding traffic however due to parkways that method is not as effective in say nassau as it would be elsewhere. I use several buses at once I try to reach several different places via different buses. I usually use the LIRR to the bus cause it's easier than taking the jamacia buses to nassau it allows me to reach deep areas minus tedious transfers. Many folks on city-data slammed LIB/NICE for being so slow and indirect requiring many transfers at first I couldn't relate cause I never really had to do that many transfers before till I started using eastern nassau lines then I learned the true meaning behind their words. And looked over those lines many times over since my first proposal.

My proposals are based on consolidation and travel time reduction. Yes major corridors are taken into account for most of my NYC ideas and NJT and lower hudson as well. With the latter 2 based on network consolidation without eliminating service from corridors completely. The last NICE proposal I made on this page was actually recent after I learned more about those areas and how dead those buses really were.

I always thought the MTA discontinuing the n3 was a joke. The n3 had more riders than the post and even pre April n2/n8 setup. The N2 should been discontinued in 2010.

Well, the n3 had alternatives along most of the route, and according to the (MTA), travel time would only increase by 11 minutes. Also, with ridership, in 2010, the n3 had 240 avg. weekday riders, the n2 had 572 avg. weekday riders and the n8 had 293 avg. weekday riders. They kept the n2 because the (MTA) didn't wanna leave that area along Meacham Ave and Rockaway Ave without service (for network coverage). Also notable is that ridership went up on the n2 and the n8 in 2011 by about 10 avg. weekday riders.

Sometimes I see suggestions of extending/modifying a bus route (either NICE or MTA) along a corridor to "increase ridership" when essentially it would just steal passengers from a route that already runs along a corridor in question. I don't see how that makes the bus useful or warrant it's keep.  

I'll give a random example: The N36 doesn't get much ridership, someone might suggest replacing the either the N40 or N41 with a N36 extension to "increase ridership" and make it "more useful", but all you're doing is replacing one route with the other and saying "look the N36 is useful now" while the Atlantic Ave segment is still empty.

A slight alternative example might be a suggestion reduce N40/N41 headways and extend the N36 to Hempstead. It adds ridership numbers to the N36 stats, but it's not making the route any more useful it's just replacing reduced N40/N41 service.

I always thought the MTA discontinuing the n3 was a joke. The n3 had more riders than the post and even pre April n2/n8 setup. The N2 should been discontinued in 2010.

Most of the riders on the N3 were on the Rush Hour Hempstead Turnpike segment, no?

From what I remember, the N3 had anemic ridership, if you saw any significant number of riders then you were obviously in Queens or along Hempstead Turnpike. It was N6 support.

As with the N8 that replaced it, many riders along Franklin Ave were going to-from the N6 and could have just as easily used the N25. In fact, the scheduling of both routes were totally ignorant of each other, some N8's were scheduled to leave Hempstead Turnpike 3-5 mins before the N25 and they'd arrive at the same time.

Passengers waiting would take the N8 because it was empty, or they'd get in so they wouldn't have to wait outside while it was dwelling, or because the bus was first. Essentially they both stole N25 ridership and it was a total waste of money having two buses cruising down Franklin Ave simultaneously with 5 or less passengers on the N3/N8 and 90.% getting off before Corona Ave.

As for the N2 being discontinued, I disagree, it serves its own corridor. The N3, while it had the Wheeler Ave segment, essentially duplicated the N25 and stole its passengers.

Well, the n3 had alternatives along most of the route, and according to the (MTA), travel time would only increase by 11 minutes. Also, with ridership, in 2010, the n3 had 240 avg. weekday riders, the n2 had 572 avg. weekday riders and the n8 had 293 avg. weekday riders. They kept the n2 because the (MTA) didn't wanna leave that area along Meacham Ave and Rockaway Ave without service (for network coverage). Also notable is that ridership went up on the n2 and the n8 in 2011 by about 10 avg. weekday riders.

I wonder how ridership is now on the N2/N8 loop, and if the connection to the N25 has increased ridership.

I wonder how ridership is now on the N2/N8 loop, and if the connection to the N25 has increased ridership.

I do too, but NICE hasn't released any specific route ridership data. They say they've compiled it when they determine their changes, but all we know, that could be a crock of s**t.

Sometimes I see suggestions of extending/modifying a bus route (either NICE or MTA) along a corridor to "increase ridership" when essentially it would just steal passengers from a route that already runs along a corridor in question. I don't see how that makes the bus useful or warrant it's keep.

I'll give a random example: The N36 doesn't get much ridership, someone might suggest replacing the either the N40 or N41 with a N36 extension to "increase ridership" and make it "more useful", but all you're doing is replacing one route with the other and saying "look the N36 is useful now" while the Atlantic Ave segment is still empty.

A slight alternative example might be a suggestion reduce N40/N41 headways and extend the N36 to Hempstead. It adds ridership numbers to the N36 stats, but it's not making the route any more useful it's just replacing reduced N40/N41 service.

Most of the riders on the N3 were on the Rush Hour Hempstead Turnpike segment, no?

From what I remember, the N3 had anemic ridership, if you saw any significant number of riders then you were obviously in Queens or along Hempstead Turnpike. It was N6 support.

As with the N8 that replaced it, many riders along Franklin Ave were going to-from the N6 and could have just as easily used the N25. In fact, the scheduling of both routes were totally ignorant of each other, some N8's were scheduled to leave Hempstead Turnpike 3-5 mins before the N25 and they'd arrive at the same time.

Passengers waiting would take the N8 because it was empty, or they'd get in so they wouldn't have to wait outside while it was dwelling, or because the bus was first. Essentially they both stole N25 ridership and it was a total waste of money having two buses cruising down Franklin Ave simultaneously with 5 or less passengers on the N3/N8 and 90.% getting off before Corona Ave.

As for the N2 being discontinued, I disagree, it serves its own corridor. The N3, while it had the Wheeler Ave segment, essentially duplicated the N25 and stole its passengers.

To be honest I would not suggest something simikar to earlier like extending N36 at N40's expense. You are right about N3/8 being useless. However Doubt that connection would have done much as people can just walk to the N25.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's something

A facility to House buses (the low used routes) in Wantagh

Buses that would use this depot

n50, n46, n47, n62, n19#, n80/n81, n73/74, n78/n79*, n51

#= Sundays

*= With interlined runs

This depot would house only 35 footers. When the budget allows it, NICE should build a depot in Wantagh, then buy 35 footers for these routes, as these routes have really bad ridership (excluding the weekday and Saturday n19 and the n79) to be using 40 footers. The riders would barely notice anything happened. Besides I can push or to only 32.5 footers, like SCT due to their horrid levels of ridership. That would give MF space for Artics.

I do too, but NICE hasn't released any specific route ridership data. They say they've compiled it when they determine their changes, but all we know, that could be a crock of s**t.

I don't see why you think it is a crock of shit, nice and Veolia seem to analyze everything to the T so why do you think nice/Veolia wouldn't compile and analyze this data to determine what changes to make?

I don't see why you think it is a crock of shit, nice and Veolia seem to analyze everything to the T so why do you think nice/Veolia wouldn't compile and analyze this data to determine what changes to make?

Because there's no proof. Whenever the (MTA) wanted to make changes, they always released ridership data to back up what they had compiled and that's what a good transit operator does. NICE hasn't released any specific route ridership data since they went into service, and if ridership has dropped, they haven't told us on which routes more and which routes less. All NICE has done is said, hey, we're making these changes, and then they happen. Nothing else. I don't think that's the way these things should really be done.

Here's something

#= Sundays

*= With interlined runs

This depot would house only 35 footers. When the budget allows it, NICE should build a depot in Wantagh, then buy 35 footers for these routes, as these routes have really bad ridership (excluding the weekday and Saturday n19 and the n79) to be using 40 footers. The riders would barely notice anything happened. Besides I can push or to only 32.5 footers, like SCT due to their horrid levels of ridership. That would give MF space for Artics.

I disagree with having anything but 40 footers on the n78/79 and the n19 at any time.

Because there's no proof. Whenever the (MTA) wanted to make changes, they always released ridership data to back up what they had compiled and that's what a good transit operator does. NICE hasn't released any specific route ridership data since they went into service, and if ridership has dropped, they haven't told us on which routes more and which routes less. All NICE has done is said, hey, we're making these changes, and then they happen. Nothing else. I don't think that's the way these things should really be done.

Just because Veolia/NICE is not releasing it to the public doesn't mean they are not compiling/analyzing this data, it just means there is no proof for you to see.  For whatever reason these things aren't released (and fyi I think all agreements and data should be posted on the website).  There is no proof for us to see that the MTA has a deal/contract with the MTA but it exists, if Nassau County didn't post the contract on it's we'd have no proof there was a contract between Nassau and Veolia.  Just because NICE/Veolia doesn't release it to the public doesn't mean it doesn't exist...

Here's something

#= Sundays

*= With interlined runs

While I'm split with the idea of building an additional depot, to have it only house 35 foot buses would be ridiculous. I have to ask what you are attempting to accomplish by doing such a thing.

The cost to operate 35 foot buses in comparison to 40 foot buses is roughly the same. I don't believe there are any cost savings at all. Furthermore the purchase price of 35 foot buses is not much cheaper than a 40 foot bus.

The way I see it, it would be best if NICE expands its fleet with vehicles that can be used on all its routes. If there was a bus shortage it would be better to send another 40 foot bus than a 35 foot bus on a route like the N6 for example.

I disagree with having anything but 40 footers on the n78/79 and the n19 at any time.

THIS....

I don't recall if I've posted this somewhere else, but I believe that if NICE, on its next bus order, replaced some Vs with artics, there would be enough space at Mitchel Field. However, I think some renovations need to be done like bigger lifts for the artics that they don't currently have. Rockville Centre doesn't have the space for artics.

I just created idea.

n28 operates between Manorhaven and Roslyn Station via Sands Point Preserve

Roslyn-bound uses Harbor Rd to Shore Rd, Manorhaven-bound uses Sandy Hollow Rd.

Since there are lots of schools and churches not served by bus.

http://goo.gl/maps/8qQ4v

Roslyn Station-bound: Same Stop as n23 to Shore Rd, then

Cow Neck Rd/Baby Rd

Middle Neck Rd/Cow Neck Rd

Middle Neck Rd/Tideway

Middle Neck Rd/Sands Point Park

Middle Neck Rd/Helen Keller National Center for Deaf-Blind Youthsand Adults

Middle Neck Rd/Luckenbuch Ln

Middle Neck Rd/Rockwood Av

Middle Neck Rd/Harbor Rd

Harbor Rd/Valley Rd

Harbor Rd/Liberty Ln

Harbor Rd/Sandy Hollow Rd

make n23 stops until Pt. Washington Blvd

Beacon Hill Rd/Hampton Rd

Beacon Hill Rd/Summit-Hillcrest

Beacon Hill Rd/Beacon Drive

W Shore Rd/W Shore Drive

W. Shore Rd/Barker Aggregates

W. Shore Rd/Fairway Drive

Then n28 stops to Roslyn Station.

Northbound buses stop at Sandy Hollow Rd/Glen Ln.

I don't recall if I've posted this somewhere else, but I believe that if NICE, on its next bus order, replaced some Vs with artics, there would be enough space at Mitchel Field. However, I think some renovations need to be done like bigger lifts for the artics that they don't currently have. Rockville Centre doesn't have the space for artics.

I hope they are the same height as the ones on the MTA.

I don't know if nice is going to get any artics in 2013 (unless they are test buses) because the funding nice requested for 2013 were for 40 foot transit buses. 

I wonder if Veolia could lease/lend artics to nice to test them? 

I hope they are the same height as the ones on the MTA.

Yes, because double deckers in Nassau County is just plain stupid. Any artics ordered with be around the same height as the ones the (MTA) has.

I don't know if nice is going to get any artics in 2013 (unless they are test buses) because the funding nice requested for 2013 were for 40 foot transit buses. 

I wonder if Veolia could lease/lend artics to nice to test them? 

NICE did write in their latest presentation that they're going to "analyze their opportunity for use of an articulated fleet" this year. Now I'm not entirely sure on whether that means asking the county if its alright to order artics OR bringing an artic in and testing it on routes. I wouldn't put it past them to maybe split the money they get for buses between artics and 40 footers. The artics would work well on several routes. Where do you think Veolia could bring an artic in from? In most of their systems, aren't they just the operators and don't actually own the buses?

I just created idea.

n28 operates between Manorhaven and Roslyn Station via Sands Point Preserve

Roslyn-bound uses Harbor Rd to Shore Rd, Manorhaven-bound uses Sandy Hollow Rd.

Can you please stop putting everything in huge font? We can see your posts just fine on the regular font. Also, it makes more sense to just put that little extension in Roslyn onto the n23. Forget the Sands Point Preserve, that doesn't need service and those schools and churches do fine without bus service because almost all the locals up there drive.

Yes, because double deckers in Nassau County is just plain stupid. Any artics ordered with be around the same height as the ones the (MTA) has.

NICE did write in their latest presentation that they're going to "analyze their opportunity for use of an articulated fleet" this year. Now I'm not entirely sure on whether that means asking the county if its alright to order artics OR bringing an artic in and testing it on routes. I wouldn't put it past them to maybe split the money they get for buses between artics and 40 footers. The artics would work well on several routes. Where do you think Veolia could bring an artic in from? In most of their systems, aren't they just the operators and don't actually own the buses?

Can you please stop putting everything in huge font? We can see your posts just fine on the regular font. Also, it makes more sense to just put that little extension in Roslyn onto the n23. Forget the Sands Point Preserve, that doesn't need service and those schools and churches do fine without bus service because almost all the locals up there drive.

Aside from N6 what other lines can use or need artics? If so from where to where! I did notice that NICE obliterated most of the N20 great neck short turn trips outside rush. Even at rush only a handful are left.

On a side note most MTA artics are 10"4 tall. Short enough to run on meadowbrook north of freeport but for another discussion.

Archived