Nassau Inter-County Express Proposals and Ideas

VWM

Aside from N6 what other lines can use or need artics? If so from where to where! I did notice that NICE obliterated most of the N20 great neck short turn trips outside rush. Even at rush only a handful are left.

On a side note most MTA artics are 10"4 tall. Short enough to run on meadowbrook north of freeport but for another discussion.

Artics would be just as tall as the regular 40 footer buses. Even with the CNG tanks, they would be just as tall. N20 LIMITEDs can use artics, N40/41 could use artics, N4 could use artics, N88 could use artics (on Memorial Day and weekends).

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, because double deckers in Nassau County is just plain stupid. Any artics ordered with be around the same height as the ones the (MTA) has.

NICE did write in their latest presentation that they're going to "analyze their opportunity for use of an articulated fleet" this year. Now I'm not entirely sure on whether that means asking the county if its alright to order artics OR bringing an artic in and testing it on routes. I wouldn't put it past them to maybe split the money they get for buses between artics and 40 footers. The artics would work well on several routes. Where do you think Veolia could bring an artic in from? In most of their systems, aren't they just the operators and don't actually own the buses?

Can you please stop putting everything in huge font? We can see your posts just fine on the regular font. Also, it makes more sense to just put that little extension in Roslyn onto the n23. Forget the Sands Point Preserve, that doesn't need service and those schools and churches do fine without bus service because almost all the locals up there drive.

I not using huge font. It's little problem with my laptop.

Where do you think Veolia could bring an artic in from? In most of their systems, aren't they just the operators and don't actually own the buses?

Veolia brought in that Orion diesel before they took over the system, a demo that they bought and several airport style cutaway vans with out of state plates were spotted at MF before and after the take over.  I think you are right they operate buses owned by whoever they are operating the system for but I thought maybe Veolia owned some buses themselves that they use for various reasons ( I dunno if they do or not). 

They would probably have a manufacturer send over a demo?

Maybe, the MTA would loan or rent Veolia an artic to test out?

Veolia brought in that Orion diesel before they took over the system, a demo that they bought and several airport style cutaway vans with out of state plates were spotted at MF before and after the take over.  I think you are right they operate buses owned by whoever they are operating the system for but I thought maybe Veolia owned some buses themselves that they use for various reasons ( I dunno if they do or not). 

They would probably have a manufacturer send over a demo?

Maybe, the MTA would loan or rent Veolia an artic to test out?

Oh right, I forgot about that bus. Sources on here said that Veolia rented that bus from Orion and when training was done, it was sent back to Orion and auctioned off.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/35949-what-happened-to-the-orion-diesel-hybrid-veolia-had/

Brett, I remember someone credible (I forget who) told me when I saw that bus in Nassau that it was on loan as a demo to an agency Veolia operated somewhere in the Country (I forget which)  When the demo period was over Orion gave Veolia a deal on the bus and Veolia
(not the system Veolia was running) bought the bus.  I don't remember what Veolia was doing with the bus but it ended up in Nassau County to help with training, because if you recall Veolia had to borrow buses from MTA LIB for training before Veolia took over the system.

I remember the bus had an out of state plate since Orion was in Upstate NY you'd think it would have a NY plate if it were an Orion owned bus.

That bus was a VII diesel hybrid, correct?

Brett, I remember someone credible (I forget who) told me when I saw that bus in Nassau that it was on loan as a demo to an agency Veolia operated somewhere in the Country (I forget which)  When the demo period was over Orion gave Veolia a deal on the bus and Veolia

(not the system Veolia was running) bought the bus.  I don't remember what Veolia was doing with the bus but it ended up in Nassau County to help with training, because if you recall Veolia had to borrow buses from MTA LIB for training before Veolia took over the system.

I remember the bus had an out of state plate since Orion was in Upstate NY you'd think it would have a NY plate if it were an Orion owned bus.

That bus was a VII diesel hybrid, correct?

Yes, it was a VII diesel, and I wonder where that bus ended up in Veolia's systems. I remember Veolia training their drivers. I would occasionally see a bus training drivers. There would be a bunch of them sitting around the bus with a person standing up front and someone in the driver's seat. Also, makes sense that Orion gave Veolia a deal because it was one of the leftover buses as Orion was trying to clean out.

Artics would be just as tall as the regular 40 footer buses. Even with the CNG tanks, they would be just as tall. N20 LIMITEDs can use artics, N40/41 could use artics, N4 could use artics, N88 could use artics (on Memorial Day and weekends).

With its 60 minute headways or whatever it has, I think it could use more service before they resort to using artics.

I thought those buses were 11"5? When I was on an MTA artic it said it was 10"4. A bus with a height of 10"4 or 10"3 can safely pass through the meadowbrook until hempstead tpk from babylon tpk.

Here we go with qjgibberishmaster's "send buses down the parkway" idea.  How about we send him down the Meadowbrook in a CNG-powered bus under the old CRRLI spur?

nah that bus can't fit. Only a few bus types can go down the meadowbrook safely between NCC and freeport. Oh FYI the jones beach to mineola idea wasn't my idea originally. You need to get a life there is more to it than dissing people is that why you have such a dirty attitude?

A better idea is for you to not talk how about it.

I thought those buses were 11"5? When I was on an MTA artic it said it was 10"4. A bus with a height of 10"4 or 10"3 can safely pass through the meadowbrook until hempstead tpk from babylon tpk.

If the height of artic buses posed any kind of problem, the (MTA) wouldn't put them in the same depot as 40' buses. NICE would be getting CNG artics which would be the same height as the Orion CNGs are now because of the tank on the top.

If the height of artic buses posed any kind of problem, the (MTA) wouldn't put them in the same depot as 40' buses. NICE would be getting CNG artics which would be the same height as the Orion CNGs are now because of the tank on the top.

More realistically, if NICE ordered XN40's (which has been specuated), the identical XN60's would be the exact same height.

The parkway's are a mess in the AM and PM rush, why in the hell would anyone in their right mind want to put a bus in that mess (besides thinking it would be cool), why would any passengers choose a route where they'd be sitting in traffic on the parkways? 

While everyone is talking about bridge heights has anyone taken the on/off ramps into account?  These are ramps that have been built decades ago can they accomodate 60' artics?  Many are winding, and very tight, could buses easily get f'ed up?

Speaking of mess, I remember doing my trip back from Boston, MA with two Japanese friends on MegaBus, he avoided I-95 through Westchester County because of traffic, so he avoided by using Cross White Plains Expressway to I-87 which was little smoother.

He also avoided 7th Av during late night but using 9th Av to 30th St instead.

I also remember coming back from Washington DC on Mega Bus, he approached Lincoln Tunnel approach different way and it was better than other entrance, even thought it was little huge traffic.

I agreed any bus operators will not use heavy highway traffic.

It will not make sense for regular local bus to use parkway or expressway.

Speaking of mess, I remember doing my trip back from Boston, MA with two Japanese friends on MegaBus, he avoided I-95 through Westchester County because of traffic, so he avoided by using Cross White Plains Expressway to I-87 which was little smoother.

He also avoided 7th Av during late night but using 9th Av to 30th St instead.

I also remember coming back from Washington DC on Mega Bus, he approached Lincoln Tunnel approach different way and it was better than other entrance, even thought it was little huge traffic.

I agreed any bus operators will not use heavy highway traffic.

It will not make sense for regular local bus to use parkway or expressway.

which is why the driver will either approach it differently or use another road. It's called express bus.

Then nevermind it makes the bus too tall for any parkway regardless ohh well.

The parkway's are a mess in the AM and PM rush, why in the hell would anyone in their right mind want to put a bus in that mess (besides thinking it would be cool), why would any passengers choose a route where they'd be sitting in traffic on the parkways? 

While everyone is talking about bridge heights has anyone taken the on/off ramps into account?  These are ramps that have been built decades ago can they accomodate 60' artics?  Many are winding, and very tight, could buses easily get f'ed up?

In general yes BUT meadowbrook south of hempstead tpk is hit or miss and is not always jammed like the other ones like the cough*southern state disaster cough*.

Then nevermind it makes the bus too tall for any parkway regardless ohh well.

NICE buses deadhead on the L.I.E. and on some of the parkways as it is, so they know where they can fit and where they can't. You can probably look it up online to see the max heights of vehicles allowed on each road. An artic could probably fit where NICE wants them.

NICE buses deadhead on the L.I.E. and on some of the parkways as it is, so they know where they can fit and where they can't. You can probably look it up online to see the max heights of vehicles allowed on each road. An artic could probably fit where NICE wants them.

oyster bay expressway and LIE can take buses easily I used the jitney so yeah. But are you sure NICE can fit buses on the meadowbrook north of freeport? I am not sure. 

The wantagh has 9 feet clearances so I know buses can't touch that parkway forget the southern state I saw a 7feet one while a friend drove me.

Buses can't use the wantagh right? correct me IF I am in fact wrong if they can use the parkways which ones and from where to where?

I actually get the max heights via street view google and some friends willing to drive me. 

oyster bay expressway and LIE can take buses easily I used the jitney so yeah. But are you sure NICE can fit buses on the meadowbrook north of freeport? I am not sure. 

The wantagh has 9 feet clearances so I know buses can't touch that parkway forget the southern state I saw a 7feet one while a friend drove me.

Buses can't use the wantagh right? correct me IF I am in fact wrong if they can use the parkways which ones and from where to where?

I actually get the max heights via street view google and some friends willing to drive me. 

Thats good cause I'm having trouble finding height information online on the official road websites. You'd think it would be easily accessible, but I'm too lazy to go out driving. Google Maps is a good idea too.

Thats good cause I'm having trouble finding height information online on the official road websites. You'd think it would be easily accessible, but I'm too lazy to go out driving. Google Maps is a good idea too.

I checked em all with street view and only rte 135 and LIE can handle buses. The rest have ridiculously low clearance bridges that will keep all but minibuses off of them. Meadowbrook however can fit some of MTA's diesel buses and a few designline and some other models. I am not sure their names but MTA does have buses that are shorter than 10"3 and many more bus types are shorter than 10"6 in height. NICE however does not have buses with such heights most if not all of NICE's buses are 11"5 due to the oversized CNG tank. Thus barring them from the meadowbrook north of freeport heck MTA in theory could have extended N88 during the LIB days using their regular diesel buses from NYCT.

No, leave n88 alone.

n88 Freeport-Jones Beach are crush loaded and it need to remain as it is.

If n88 got extended, it will be more crowded and beach/employee going to Jones Beach will not be able to get seat.

dude you ARE LATE!!!!!!! We already established that NICE buses are too tall for N88 to extend or make a new jones beach line. It's dead already. The fact that it would get more crowded will = more service and buses so that is good for ridership.

dude you ARE LATE!!!!!!! We already established that NICE buses are too tall for N88 to extend or make a new jones beach line. It's dead already. The fact that it would get more crowded will = more service and buses so that is good for ridership.

By the way-NICE plans on re-activating the N87 on the summer pick. Most other service enhancements won't take place til Sept.

Archived