Nassau Inter-County Express Proposals and Ideas

VWM

I was thinking of NICE to do several things to save money without gradually affecting riders. Here they are (not yet finished)

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1eOCyXkMhUaG30j8ni_Wd2Y-evKUZsUndAeaAS-qPVZw/edit#slide=id.g4efcc11f_1_7

No too sure that I agree with those changes.

Q23, if n2/n8 was elimated, Nassau County Legislature Carrie Solage will oppose because it could overcrowd the n6 local, n6x express and n25 buses.

There are no other bus goes to Green Acres Mall. Queens buses like Q5 and Q85 takes long time while NICE trip makes faster.

I don't think it should be eliminated, but I doubt it would overcrowd those other buses as the loop doesn't get much ridership to begin with. BTW how has ridership been since the terminal change?

The N1 goes to Green Acres Mall

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was thinking of NICE to do several things to save money without gradually affecting riders. Here they are (not yet finished)

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1eOCyXkMhUaG30j8ni_Wd2Y-evKUZsUndAeaAS-qPVZw/edit#slide=id.g4efcc11f_1_7

That whole n15/35 suggestion (especially seeing what you're suggesting w/ the n23 & 27 b/w RFM & hempstead), Nope.....

Without gradually affecting riders? Dude, you are trying to pile everyone up there on n15's - encouraging riders north of RFM to transfer when they normally wouldn't have to, to get to areas south of RFM, and trying to bastardize the n35 in the process... Basically you're bringing back the N37 by suggesting that the n35 run b/w hempstead & baldwin during middays.... Why do you think the old 35 was combined w/ the old 37? Ridership on the old 37 was lacking, ridership on the 35 was very much sufficient..... 

However I will admit I missed some things with NICE's bus lines and resources earlier.

I think N51 should not run at off-peak at all. I think it should be rush hour only timed with LIRR merrick trains en rte to penn station from babylon with 20 min headways as that will be a much better use of it's buses. While N27 should cover N51 at off-peak while N51 isn't running trips to hempstead should not be touched. N51 does go to heavy employment areas it is wasted the way it is.

I;m going to have to say I disagree with this one. While cutting it off-peak I understand (personally, i'd make it bi-hourly) but to extend the N27? First off, that's heinously long and second, no one wants to go to Roslyn on Sea Cliff from Merrick via bus. They'd use thier car, people here are the stuck up rich-type.

I;m going to have to say I disagree with this one. While cutting it off-peak I understand (personally, i'd make it bi-hourly) but to extend the N27? First off, that's heinously long and second, no one wants to go to Roslyn on Sea Cliff from Merrick via bus. They'd use thier car, people here are the stuck up rich-type.

The bus is faster at off-peak. and this is select off-peak trips only and they will guarantee connections to the LIRR. To get stuck up folks on the bus the bus needs to go to a mode they use which is the LIRR. And it has to be convenient.

The bus is faster at off-peak. and this is select off-peak trips only and they will guarantee connections to the LIRR. To get stuck up folks on the bus the bus needs to go to a mode they use which is the LIRR. And it has to be convenient.

Exactly, the bus is hardly ever more convenient than a car. Off peak trips aren't going to get people on the bus, who goes from Sea Cliff to Merrick anyway? The Meadowbrook /Northern State Parkway trip is much quicker. About 30 mins by car, by bus 1 hour 46 minutes using the N51 and N27.

When going to Jamaica and Flushing Queens the bus may be more convenient because there is no concern for parking and congestion, but for points between Long Island locations, the car is usually the best bet. 

As for the LIRR its generally better to drive to the station unless there is no available parking or very expensive. That reduces the need to peak commuting times for choice drivers. 

I had some maintenance done on my vehicle a few days ago, and after waiting for the bus in the cold to go get something to eat while waiting, I really do not see anyone making the choice to use the bus over their car, unless the destination has really bad traffic/parking and/or exorbitant parking rates.

Exactly, the bus is hardly ever more convenient than a car. Off peak trips aren't going to get people on the bus, who goes from Sea Cliff to Merrick anyway? The Meadowbrook /Northern State Parkway trip is much quicker. About 30 mins by car, by bus 1 hour 46 minutes using the N51 and N27.

When going to Jamaica and Flushing Queens the bus may be more convenient because there is no concern for parking and congestion, but for points between Long Island locations, the car is usually the best bet. 

As for the LIRR its generally better to drive to the station unless there is no available parking or very expensive. That reduces the need to peak commuting times for choice drivers. 

I had some maintenance done on my vehicle a few days ago, and after waiting for the bus in the cold to go get something to eat while waiting, I really do not see anyone making the choice to use the bus over their car, unless the destination has really bad traffic/parking and/or exorbitant parking rates.

ERR that is due to wait time between transfers on N51/27 or are you saying that is the time a combined routing trip would take? I did learn that the bridges on the meadowbrook south of RFM are not low enough to physically keep buses off. As long as the buses are shorter than 10"2 feet or 10"3 in height. I guess I didn't know that until recently.

ERR that is due to wait time between transfers on N51/27 or are you saying that is the time a combined routing trip would take? I did learn that the bridges on the meadowbrook south of RFM are not low enough to physically keep buses off. As long as the buses are shorter than 10"2 feet or 10"3 in height. I guess I didn't know that until recently.

You don't seem to get no one goes from Merrick to sea cliff, or take the bus to do it.

Here's something I had in mind

N19: Freeport to Sunrise Mall (with possible merger with n36 if considered)

N80/N81: Extended from Sunrise Mall to Babylon all trips. Sunday service will be discontinued overall on that segment.

Why change that when, according to LI Bus data, the N19 on sundays has more ridership than the N80/81 on weekdays and Saturdays. More people go east of Sunrise Mall that way. However, extending the N80/81 a bit east might not be a bad idea!

NICE shouldn't be running much into Suffolk at all. Suffolk doesn't pay for the service, their citizens shouldn't expect it for free from Nassau County. Walt Whitman Mall, N70 to SUNY Farmingdale, and N72 to Route 110 should be enough. If they complain, Suffolk can pay Nassau for it to provide service.

n80/81 restructuring:

-Eliminate the n81

-Eliminate Saturday n80 service

-Run the n80 every 40min during rush hour

-Every other rush hour n80 uses current route

-All other n80's run via n81 route from Hicksville to Central Ave, then down Central Ave to Rt 107 and south from there. That way Bethpage still has service.

NICE shouldn't be running much into Suffolk at all. Suffolk doesn't pay for the service, their citizens shouldn't expect it for free from Nassau County. Walt Whitman Mall, N70 to SUNY Farmingdale, and N72 to Route 110 should be enough. If they complain, Suffolk can pay Nassau for it to provide service.

n80/81 restructuring:

-Eliminate the n81

-Eliminate Saturday n80 service

-Run the n80 every 40min during rush hour

-Every other rush hour n80 uses current route

-All other n80's run via n81 route from Hicksville to Central Ave, then down Central Ave to Rt 107 and south from there. That way Bethpage still has service.

Connectivity to LIRR montauk line I wouldn't touch N72 it is not broke but N81/80 idea of Q23 is actually much better than this.

Q23, if n2/n8 was elimated, Nassau County Legislature Carrie Solage will oppose because it could overcrowd the n6 local, n6x express and n25 buses.

There are no other bus goes to Green Acres Mall. Queens buses like Q5 and Q85 takes long time while NICE trip makes faster.

I disagree also.

n15 is way too long.

Leave n23 and n27 alone. n27 weekend need to be restored to RFM.

Also leave n35 alone.

Don't the N35 get good ridership?

Don't the N35 get good ridership?

The N35 does get good ridership during the day on weekdays and weekends (At night and early mornings, the n35 does average, not many people are on) because of NCC and the fact that the N35 was created as sort of a Westbury shuttle before it was combined with the N37. The N35 today does great on the whole route, but NICE decided to cut it because they wanted to have NCC students use the new n16x. Unfortunately, cutting the N35 is not the answer because those buses are packed and leave Hempstead full. Last ride I took (video below), we were skipping stops after Hempstead because the bus was full. The load didn't lighten until we reached NCC.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VZCfQwvkAQ

The N35 does get good ridership during the day on weekdays and weekends (At night and early mornings, the n35 does average, not many people are on) because of NCC and the fact that the N35 was created as sort of a Westbury shuttle before it was combined with the N37. The N35 today does great on the whole route, but NICE decided to cut it because they wanted to have NCC students use the new n16x. Unfortunately, cutting the N35 is not the answer because those buses are packed and leave Hempstead full. Last ride I took (video below), we were skipping stops after Hempstead because the bus was full. The load didn't lighten until we reached NCC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VZCfQwvkAQ

why did they just let N35 be the ncc x bus?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="qjtransitmaster" data-cid="639056" data-time="1359589729"><p>

why did they just let N35 be the ncc x bus?</p></blockquote>

I have no idea, they could've named it anything, like the n16x or n35x or n43x. IMO the n16x runs should try to interlines with the n17 and the rest be named n17. Besides you would have NCC students from the south shore have a faster way than the n16

</p></blockquote>

I have no idea, they could've named it anything, like the n16x or n35x or n43x. IMO the n16x runs should try to interlines with the n17 and the rest be named n17. Besides you would have NCC students from the south shore have a faster way than the n16

To be honest I suggested that to NICE!!! They aren't so NICE!!

why did they just let N35 be the ncc x bus?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="qjtransitmaster" data-cid="639056" data-time="1359589729"><p>

why did they just let N35 be the ncc x bus?</p></blockquote>

</p></blockquote>

To be honest I suggested that to NICE!!! They aren't so NICE!!

Nice is trying to run a business. The N16 is the most direct and shortest route to NCC, therefore it gets the X Route. The N16 is not much slower than the N17, hardly anyone uses the stops between Merrick Road and  the Southern  State Parkway. What would be the actual benefit of making the N17 interline with the N16X?

Nice is trying to run a business. The N16 is the most direct and shortest route to NCC, therefore it gets the X Route. The N16 is not much slower than the N17, hardly anyone uses the stops between Merrick Road and  the Southern  State Parkway. What would be the actual benefit of making the N17 interline with the N16X?

Well, it would give NCC students a fast connection between NCC and Rockville Centre. BUT, I do not think, out of the students that ride NICE bus, that there is a big percentage of that. I don't see it paying off.

Well, it would give NCC students a fast connection between NCC and Rockville Centre. BUT, I do not think, out of the students that ride NICE bus, that there is a big percentage of that. I don't see it paying off.

The N17 is really not much faster than the N16, the N16 cruises between RVC and the Southern State Parkway. By Graham Ave it shares the same stops as the N17. Also, those coming from the south shore use a variety of  routes to get to Hempstead. N31/N32, N15, N16, N35, N40/41 and N43. Making the N17 interline with the N16x would really serve no purpose.

The N17 is really not much faster than the N16, the N16 cruises between RVC and the Southern State Parkway. By Graham Ave it shares the same stops as the N17. Also, those coming from the south shore use a variety of  routes to get to Hempstead. N31/N32, N15, N16, N35, N40/41 and N43. Making the N17 interline with the N16x would really serve no purpose.

Ok then, that's another reason not to do it. Its alright, like I said, I didn't see it paying off either.

Another idea:

Detour n78 buses to Sunnyside and Manetto Hill. These buses would be named n79 and will go Manetto Hill Rd -> LIE entrance to LIE exit -> Sunnyside Blvd, and Terminate on that part of Manetto Hill Road

I don't know if Manetto Hill Rd needs that much service as the n79 goes up Manetto Hill Rd anyway. Like Amtrak7 said, the n78 is meant to fill the service that is needed on Old Country Rd between Plainview and Hicksville. Maybe he can shed some more light on whether or not this idea is worth it.

I've found myself to be almost a weekly N78 rider, boarding at the first stop. I will say the following:

-Ridership is quite good. Peak direction (east AM, west PM) buses are around 1/3 seated load east of Manetto Hill and seated load to SRO west of there. Reverse peak ridership is nonexistent.

-This is a loop route with zero layover time at the eastern end. OTP is low but the amount of delay seems to be pretty constant, 5-7min worth.

-It is very obvious that most of the passengers on this route east of Manetto Hill are frequent riders, they appear to know each other.

-The PM schedule is written such that the N78 picks up all the load along the route from Manetto Hill to Hicksville while the N79 behind gets practically nobody. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the N79 is less crowded than the 78 when they arrive at Hicksville.

The current every-other-bus setup is good. However, I think the 2 bph west of Manetto Hill needs to be evened out as the 78 and 79 sometimes end up bunching.

By the way, does anyone else on this forum commute on the N78? There are a few passengers who seem to be really interested in the way NICE works ;)

Archived