Nassau Inter-County Express Proposals and Ideas

VWM

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Bronx -Nassau Eastern Queens route would be nice.

n23: Well, you also need to understand that NICE Discontinued Weekend Service on Roslyn Road since it duplicated the Willis Avenue Service. I'd leave as it is. The n27 can use a rescheduling

n27: It would cost money for that extention, given NICE id running the system on 2 million Dollars

I'm iffy on this. The n31/n32 is actually a more preferable option in FR, and I wouldnt modify the route in Far Rockaway.

I dunno if this is feasible, but the n1 can run to Lawrence on Sundays along the n31 routing

Common misconception, NICE is not running a bus system on 2 million dollars, Nassau County is budgeting 2 million from it's county budget to NICE"s overall budget which is over 100 Million Dollars.

Had thid idea for the N25

Sundays only: Skip Union Turnpike, Lakeville Road, and Marcus Avenue routing, and continue on New Hyde Park Road

What about LIJ Hospital?

A Bronx -Nassau Eastern Queens route would be nice.

Common misconception, NICE is not running a bus system on 2 million dollars, Nassau County is budgeting 2 million from it's county budget to NICE"s overall budget which is over 100 Million Dollars.

What about LIJ Hospital?

but it may be easier to let MTA run such a route cause as long as it links to all queens bound NICE lines 22,24,6,& 20/21 I have mixed feelings. Besides maybe a transfer policy similar to beeline to tzx can be done with nice and 495 line I am not sure if NICE would handle the stress. Then again it can breath life into the N2/8.

Just thought about it now, but if NICE aint gonna do nothing with the n46/n47, I would restructure the n47 as follows:

N47 Will be a Hempstead to Plainview Route, being combined with the n78. The n78 times will be structure to operate every 30 with the n79 on the combined route. The n47 will go via East Meadow in the AM to Hempstead, and bypass it towards Plainview, and Vice-versa in the PM rush hour. Perhaps the 47 can also skip East Meadow and let the n46 handle the ridership so the n47 goes straight on to PlainviewThe n47 and n78 are both low ridership routes that can be improved if this happens

Also, the n49 should be combined with the the n79, as mentioned.

The N48 can continue to serve Jericho Quad, and the 50 can also be extended to Jericho Quad to maintain half-hourly service if needed

• 2 weeks later...

You seem to be forgetting that there are some EXTREME commuters that do go to the bronx from nassau and vice versa. If the demand wasn't there the cross island would not be a mess everyday now wouldn't it. The idea however was just poorly presented and executed but the proposal for a LI to bronx line may be needed the way it was presented and executed in fredrick wells's words was with little thought into existing services. And may be better off if MTA did it but NOT directly to nassau.

The Cross Island has drivers of a variety of destinations.From the Southern State, Those going North are going to the Bronx/Westchester/Ct/NJ, going to the GCP and LIE and also using that as a round about way to bypass the LIE and Grand Central Parkways. I don't think it's sound to base transit routes purely on visible highway congestion.

The Cross Island has drivers of a variety of destinations.From the Southern State, Those going North are going to the Bronx/Westchester/Ct/NJ, going to the GCP and LIE and also using that as a round about way to bypass the LIE and Grand Central Parkways. I don't think it's sound to base transit routes purely on visible highway congestion.

In a way yes and no you also have to look at existing regional transit modes and how the new bus ties them together to serve these ridership bases. CT is served by MNRR and bronx has several lines from the pelham bay station. Bee-line meets at the MNRR station and NJ is served by NJT which links to LIRR. So the question is how do I tie in these services to serve these different groups.

In a way yes and no you also have to look at existing regional transit modes and how the new bus ties them together to serve these ridership bases. CT is served by MNRR and bronx has several lines from the pelham bay station. Bee-line meets at the MNRR station and NJ is served by NJT which links to LIRR. So the question is how do I tie in these services to serve these different groups.

Other than connecting them, it has to be quick and convenient, A uniform fare card like the Oyster card in London would help.b

I had this idea for some time.

N73: Operate weekdays and Saturdays straight up Jerusalem Avenue

N74: operate via Cornflower road in addition to its routing

Just cut the Cornflower Road segment outright.

The current Saturday schedule can be run with one bus and one 11hr (+ deadhead) shift. To reduce overtime, the first roundtrip of the day can be eliminated. The current rush hour N73/74 schedule can be run with two buses.

Other than connecting them, it has to be quick and convenient, A uniform fare card like the Oyster card in London would help.b

BINGO!!!!!!!! NOW YOU KNOW how my plans work.

However things change.FYI hint: MNRR with metrocard works on NICE and in addition LIRR/metrocard combo works on bee-line.

CUSA can be talked with but that is another issue altogether.

I'm iffy on this. The n31/n32 is actually a more preferable option in FR, and I wouldnt modify the route in Far Rockaway.

Fine, but he's not modifying both routes; he's modifying the 31 for it to serve Inwood (which wouldn't deter any usage towards or out of Far Rockaway).....

I don't have a problem w/ the idea myself, as it'd make the N31 a little more useful IMO...

The way the 31/32 is setup, they may as well axe the N31 & give that service to the N32....

I had this idea for some time.

N73: Operate weekdays and Saturdays straight up Jerusalem Avenue

N74: operate via Cornflower road in addition to its routing

Just cut the Cornflower Road segment outright.

This.

However I will admit I missed some things with NICE's bus lines and resources earlier.

I think N51 should not run at off-peak at all. I think it should be rush hour only timed with LIRR merrick trains en rte to penn station from babylon with 20 min headways as that will be a much better use of it's buses. While N27 should cover N51 at off-peak while N51 isn't running trips to hempstead should not be touched. N51 does go to heavy employment areas it is wasted the way it is.

However I will admit I missed some things with NICE's bus lines and resources earlier.

I think N51 should not run at off-peak at all. I think it should be rush hour only timed with LIRR merrick trains en rte to penn station from babylon with 20 min headways as that will be a much better use of it's buses. While N27 should cover N51 at off-peak while N51 isn't running trips to hempstead should not be touched. N51 does go to heavy employment areas it is wasted the way it is.

Now that midday n46 service has been slashed, that and midday n50 service should stay

The N27 is too long to be merged with the N51. I can't think of anything to outright merge it with, but a straightforward extension to Mineola or Hempstead might help boost ridership.

Now that midday n46 service has been slashed, that and midday n50 service should stay

Negative read carefully I said midday service replaced by extended N27 via merrick ave midday service just gets transferred to another line rather than slashed outright but it does decrease amount of buses needed and squeezes more out of the buses. N46 hempstead basically dragged the route down and refusal to change or even take traffic patterns into account has resulted in this.

The N27 is too long to be merged with the N51. I can't think of anything to outright merge it with, but a straightforward extension to Mineola or Hempstead might help boost ridership.

N51 is a very short route if N27 absorbs it it's runtime would be less than N20 or around the same. It would simply take the bus on N51 and assign it to N27 thus making it yield more riders at off-peak when demand is not there. Off-peak N27 does not go to hempstead so it can be done. At rush hour N51 should be timed with LIRR mostly trains that are from babylon rather than short turns to yield regional travelers off the hempstead tpk and onto the LIRR and N51 the resources can be squeezed to rush hour use only ridership shall increase. but off-peak is hopeless.

N51 is a very short route if N27 absorbs it it's runtime would be less than N20 or around the same. It would simply take the bus on N51 and assign it to N27 thus making it yield more riders at off-peak when demand is not there. Off-peak N27 does not go to hempstead so it can be done. At rush hour N51 should be timed with LIRR mostly trains that are from babylon rather than short turns to yield regional travelers off the hempstead tpk and onto the LIRR and N51 the resources can be squeezed to rush hour use only ridership shall increase. but off-peak is hopeless.

I get what you're trying to accomplish.... basically you're proposing that the N51 run during peak hours only b/w RFM & Merrick, and the 27 covers the 51 route from RFM southward off peak.....

It's not the worst idea; I have mixed feelings about it myself.... It could bring in more ridership from the areas the N27 serves, on down towards the Babylon line, but it'd be only as such for off peak hrs.... I'd lean more towards leaving them separate, even during off peak hrs....

I get what you're trying to accomplish.... basically you're proposing that the N51 run during peak hours only b/w RFM & Merrick, and the 27 covers the 51 route from RFM southward off peak.....

It's not the worst idea; I have mixed feelings about it myself.... It could bring in more ridership from the areas the N27 serves, on down towards the Babylon line, but it'd be only as such for off peak hrs.... I'd lean more towards leaving them separate, even during off peak hrs....

I agree. I'd like to see this factor into Jones Beach bus service changes. n51 would be extended to Jones Beach on summer weekends and replace some n88 trips, it'd be a huge ridership generator having a direct bus between RFM and Jones Beach. Problem is what do you do outside of summer? Yes I know the n51 doesn't run on weekends anymore, so the service would only be summer weekends (Memorial Day - Labor Day). I probably would just have the n51 rush hours only outside of the summer season. The n88s get packed, and this is a glaring opportunity to shift some riders over to the n51, and attract new ones from Central Nassau who find the trek to Freeport too long.

Central Nassau riders have the N40/N41 which most riders could pick up at Mineola or Hempstead (if they find it difficult to get to Freeport). The N88 should be kept as-is, since it's a shuttle service to the LIRR and/or N4 bus for NYC service. It gets stuck in heavy beach traffic as it is; no need to increase the route length when I'd bet most passengers just want to get to the closest railroad stop (Freeport) that goes to NYC.

I agree. I'd like to see this factor into Jones Beach bus service changes. n51 would be extended to Jones Beach on summer weekends and replace some n88 trips, it'd be a huge ridership generator having a direct bus between RFM and Jones Beach. Problem is what do you do outside of summer? Yes I know the n51 doesn't run on weekends anymore, so the service would only be summer weekends (Memorial Day - Labor Day). I probably would just have the n51 rush hours only outside of the summer season. The n88s get packed, and this is a glaring opportunity to shift some riders over to the n51, and attract new ones from Central Nassau who find the trek to Freeport too long.

Only for summers My plan is off-season. My original plan eliminated N51 completely and had the N27 follow it's route full-time weekdays.

Yeah The original sent to NICE eliminated N51 completely and had N27 replace it entirely. But I looked over N51 and was like if it ran more often at rush hr people would use it.

I don't see how that would really help. I doubt most people coming from Hempstead would want to look around like that to get into Rockville Center.

I feel like the n14 and n62 (both halves) are surviving purely because of the hearing requirement for service discontinuations.

I don't see how that would really help. I doubt most people coming from Hempstead would want to look around like that to get into Rockville Center.

What he's saying is the bus would go on the n16 route to Rockville Centre LIRR Station like normal, then take the loop immediately and then come back to the Rockville Centre LIRR Station. Customers wouldn't see a loss in time and it may bring more ridership to the route since people wouldn't have to use a transfer. The n14 is rush hours only anyway.

I feel like the n14 and n62 (both halves) are surviving purely because of the hearing requirement for service discontinuations.

The N14 hasn't seen increased ridership with the better connections to the LIRR?

What he's saying is the bus would go on the n16 route to Rockville Centre LIRR Station like normal, then take the loop immediately and then come back to the Rockville Centre LIRR Station. Customers wouldn't see a loss in time and it may bring more ridership to the route since people wouldn't have to use a transfer. The n14 is rush hours only anyway.

They use one bus for the N14, and they connect to the LIRR, making it an extension of the N16 would reduce reliability.

Archived