Staten Island Bus Proposal Thread 2012-2013

FamousNYLover

That hasbeen asked before.  The answer is yes.

You see, the S61 and S62 are. A bit crowded during weekends. Maybe 12-minute on the S61 may be ideal but it wouldnt connect to the ferry. The solution? Add S66 service to the mix every half hour and you can even serve the forest shopping centers now. Of course weekend S60 customers may come back, bjt that is less than 200 per weekend. 

But s66 is not if S62 is so crowded then add s62 trips. 

Anything that involves an extension of service not followed by some sort of cut elsewhere/someway/somehow, the MTA isn't interested in....

As far as possible tweaking of the x23/24, although time isn't really a complaint of theirs (not that I've heard/read anyway), safety is - Which is one reason those riders want the MTA operating those routes...... Not for nothing, but they have a point regarding safety, those AE drivers do tend to drive a little reckless, esp. whilst on the NJ tpke..... I've been on about 2 or 3 x24's where the driver was running all sorts of red lights on hylan... One driver one time (and I never forget this) had the gall to say to me "what the f**k are you still doing on the bus", as if buses don't run up to Tysens.....

Don't know if there's a swath of folks boarding at the P&R particularly, but I actually think Tottenville (unlike the rest of those south shore neighborhoods) welcome bus service; I don't get the sense that they're anti public transportation.... They were pretty vocal that the 74 got cut back to terminate at that (overrated) mall; Bricktown....

Lol @ this.... You're not telling me anything I don't already know.....

* What the 17 variants stand for - Yeah, a post I made 2 years ago.... There goes that.

* The 17a is nothing more than a short form of the 17c that runs during the rush (lower manhattan-SI).... Yeah it's there to put more ppl. on the bus (which is why I have them running from ETC, instead of Annadale).... All I really did with that was get rid of the 'A' notation & cut it short to ETC.... Which is why I have the x8 going to Annadale, b/c that also runs to lower manhattan itself....

Furthermore, Never said anything about extending x8's past Annadale, which is what you're implicating when you say "so there is no need to extend x8s they will just carry air past ETC since those people will use faster x19s instead."

* The x19 has nothing to do with the 17a (which is a rush hour variant itself), it has more to do with the 17c (which does not run during the rush).... The 17c/j & the x19 have the same exact terminal in Huguenot & parallel each other west of arthur kill/arden.... Like I said in the proposal post, the x19 tends to die off once it hits Drumgoole.....

* Again, I'd opt to move the x8 there to Annadale because I would have 17's that would run b/w ETC & lower manhattan during the rush... The 17 carries heavy b/w ETC & the other parts of SI it serves.... Annadale portion of the 17a, I wouldn't revoke them of service.... Your whole entire point regarding sending the x8 past ETC is basically you contesting the current 17a running past ETC..... I don't agree that those folks should be left with nothing, nor that those buses carry air (which is what you're implicating 17a's do)....

* Those that take x19's don't think twice about that victory blvd stop, nor does anyone riding any of the other south shore expresses... they may as well abolish/eradicate that stop...

Dude, You seem to be giving me a summary of what the routes do, I'm actually looking for reasons as to why these changes will/won't work (which you never really did)... I know how the current routes are utilized & what portions of what routes sees strong (enough) usage & weak usage... What exactly is your stance regarding SI's south shore express bus network, since SI is my supposed weak point? Or are you still fixated on sending locals to NJ....

X17A is more direct than the x8 and spends less time in SI than x8. The summary of why those routes are there is why x8 doesn't need an extension. If you replace that portion of x17 with x8 you would be slowing down their direct trip to lower Manhattan. Sending locals to nj it appears a certain political guy agrees with that I no longer have to say anything regarding that.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the S54 it should, but the S66 is iffy. Just not sure if the ridership is there, but if anything, those in Grymes Hill would benefit the most.  

What about rerouting alternate S62 trips through Grymes Hill on Saturdays? These trips would end at CSI...which would require short-turns starting at about 8 AM instead of noon, and ending at about 7 PM.

He actually said that? What was your response?  :lol:

Yeah the scumbag actually said that.... Matter fact, that was the last time I took the x24... Come to think of it, it was the last time I took an AE bus (not b/c of the incident/occurrence, but it was around the time I stopped fanning the SI expresses after work)..... Now that I'm out in LI, the chance of me fanning any SI express are slim to none.....

I said "The last stop is Tysens aint it? Just let me off the bus & shut up dude... aint got time for this shit"..... He proceeded to rant about who the f**k am I talking to & how this is his bus & some BS, but after that, I had tuned him out b/c I was more focused on crossing Hylan (and not getting hit).... As long as he didn't get up out that seat &/or lock me inside the bus, I didn't worry about getting physical or anything like that.....

He had already made the turn onto tysens (I rang the bell well before we got to tysens), which meant I had to cross hylan for the Brooklyn bound 79..... I didn't fly off the handle w/ the guy b/c 1] it was raining & I didn't have an umbrella, and 2] the 79 I needed was down the block.....

X17A is more direct than the x8 and spends less time in SI than x8. The summary of why those routes are there is why x8 doesn't need an extension. If you replace that portion of x17 with x8 you would be slowing down their direct trip to lower Manhattan.

One minute, you're implicating that the Annadale portion carries air... and in the next, the 17a is more direct & I'd be slowing down their trip....

No, the summary that you gave me of what the routes do, is nothing more than you showing me you don't know how the routes are used down there... Otherwise, you would have gave specifics on how the routes are used.... You not answering what your thoughts about the express bus network in that region of the borough is, further illustrates that.....

You only responded to my proposal b/c of this notion that my SI knowledge is so weak, which got shut down pretty quickly....

Yeah the scumbag actually said that.... Matter fact, that was the last time I took the x24... Come to think of it, it was the last time I took an AE bus (not b/c of the incident/occurrence, but it was around the time I stopped fanning the SI expresses after work)..... Now that I'm out in LI, the chance of me fanning any SI express are slim to none.....

I said "The last stop is Tysens aint it? Just let me off the bus & shut up dude... aint got time for this shit"..... He proceeded to rant about who the f**k am I talking to & how this is his bus & some BS, but after that, I had tuned him out b/c I was more focused on crossing Hylan (and not getting hit).... As long as he didn't get up out that seat &/or lock me inside the bus, I didn't worry about getting physical or anything like that.....

He had already made the turn onto tysens (I rang the bell well before we got to tysens), which meant I had to cross hylan for the Brooklyn bound 79..... I didn't fly off the handle w/ the guy b/c 1] it was raining & I didn't have an umbrella, and 2] the 79 I needed was down the block.....

SMH... Unbelievable... I won't even ask what ethnicity the guy was, but the drivers I've had altercations with are usually Black. After that I've found the Latino drivers to be the rudest. You get both ends of the spectrum with Black and Latino drivers.  They're either really cool and professional or really crabby and down right nasty and White drivers can also be rather snarky but they're usually professional for the most part with me, since they're aren't that many White drivers to begin with.  It's usually Blacks and then depending on where you're at Latinos that you get the most of, but I've heard the drivers out of AE are downright horrible. Nasty demeanor and reckless driving... I'm sure he would find his behavior completely justifiable.  Now I don't even bother to get into a confrontation unless I'm provoked.  I just make sure I note the bus #, the time, route number and direction of the bus and that takes care of the situation once I write in and if necessary I'll record it on my phone if it continues and send that in.  Some of these guys are really incredible though I'll tell you that much.  The attitude he displayed is precisely the way some of them act.  "This is my bus". Like really, get over yourself.  SMH  <_<  :lol:

What about rerouting alternate S62 trips through Grymes Hill on Saturdays? These trips would end at CSI...which would require short-turns starting at about 8 AM instead of noon, and ending at about 7 PM.

I don't think that would be a better idea.  I actually agree with Turbo in saying that you would be better off having the S66 run on weekends.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I'm going to disagree with the increases on the S62. For all the damn trouble I'd recommend weekend S66 service over all else. Capture the ridership on the North Shore and a sizable ridership on Victory east of Arlo.

I'm going to disagree with the increases on the S62. For all the damn trouble I'd recommend weekend S66 service over all else. Capture the ridership on the North Shore and a sizable ridership on Victory east of Arlo.

s66 has no real demand in it's current form. Victory is S62 territory. S66 even is scheduled at the same time as S62 on victory so that makes it more pointless.

One minute, you're implicating that the Annadale portion carries air... and in the next, the 17a is more direct & I'd be slowing down their trip....

No, the summary that you gave me of what the routes do, is nothing more than you showing me you don't know how the routes are used down there... Otherwise, you would have gave specifics on how the routes are used.... You not answering what your thoughts about the express bus network in that region of the borough is, further illustrates that.....

You only responded to my proposal b/c of this notion that my SI knowledge is so weak, which got shut down pretty quickly....

No dude not even close I am saying the x19 is the best option in Annandale. You still can't justify a long route like x8 being extended. 

No dude not even close I am saying the x19 is the best option in Annandale. You still can't justify a long route like x8 being extended. 

I'm only gonna say this one more time, I'm tired of repeating myself.....

If you don't get it after this, I'm not gonna respond to you regarding this particular proposal.... Enough is enough.....

Again, I'm talking about where the x17a ends in Annadale, not where the x19 runs in Annadale.....

You're sitting up here acting like I'm extending the x8 where the x19 runs in Annadale... 

SMH... Unbelievable... I won't even ask what ethnicity the guy was, but the drivers I've had altercations with are usually Black. After that I've found the Latino drivers to be the rudest. You get both ends of the spectrum with Black and Latino drivers.  They're either really cool and professional or really crabby and down right nasty and White drivers can also be rather snarky but they're usually professional for the most part with me, since they're aren't that many White drivers to begin with.  It's usually Blacks and then depending on where you're at Latinos that you get the most of, but I've heard the drivers out of AE are downright horrible. Nasty demeanor and reckless driving... I'm sure he would find his behavior completely justifiable.  Now I don't even bother to get into a confrontation unless I'm provoked.  I just make sure I note the bus #, the time, route number and direction of the bus and that takes care of the situation once I write in and if necessary I'll record it on my phone if it continues and send that in.  Some of these guys are really incredible though I'll tell you that much.  The attitude he displayed is precisely the way some of them act.  "This is my bus". Like really, get over yourself.  SMH  <_<  :lol:

Of the times I've rode the x23/24, most of those drivers were black.... older ones too, no young guys....

The ones that look like they used to drive greyhound buses back in the 70's.... Lol....

This prick I had on the x24 that day in question, he was some type of mix; didn't look or sound hispanic, so I'm guessing he was 1/2 black, 1/2 white......

Some of these drivers w/ this my bus shit need to calm that shit all the way down... Let there be a super(visor) on your bus acting all out of pocket like that & there won't be any "your bus", because some other soul (driver) will easily & gladly take your place....

AE drivers (the ones that do the 23/24) kinda remind me of SCT & NICE drivers with they way they handle the bus... They're too free-spirited & they don't seem like they value safety (whereas the MTA is the exact opposite of that shit).... You can tell by how they make turns, it's a dead giveaway - and NICE drivers are the absolute worst with showing wanton disregard for passengers, but that's for another discussion....

I said this in an older post, but another thing that irks me about some (express bus) drivers is (and it happened in this case) they catch an attitude when they have to ride to the last stop - full knowing there are seldom any regulars that ride to w/e last stop on a particular route..... I've gotten the smirks & the sucking of teeth when I used to take one of the Hylan branches that run to ETC (twas usually the x7), to ETC, and also the x31 from midtown to ETC (I would tend to catch the 31 that had this arab b/o.... who would always tell me to take the 17j.... One day he had the nerve to say "didn't I tell you to take the 17j".... I told him flat out, don't tell me how to spend my money.... As a man, I HATE that shit......

What it is, is that some of these drivers be doing other shit once their bus empties out, short of a terminal.... Sorry to spoil your leisure (not), but like you, I got places to go too..... It would be one thing if I'm asking a b/o to drop me off at a location where there's no bus stop, or somewhere past the last stop, but come on - Catching an attitude because I wanna ride to the last stop.... Really?

How do I know this? because I've had an Ulmer Park b/o (sea gate x28) ask me if I could "take it here" (which was neptune av), I was like sure.... from neptune to mermaid won't kill me (I still had to walk to nathan's anyway)..... Mind you, there's no stop @ neptune.....  Anyway, he flat out said he needed a smoke break... I chuckled, & said something to the tune of, I understand..... Needless to say, he did NOT drive out to sea gate, because there wasn't anyone else left on the bus.....

I'm only gonna say this one more time, I'm tired of repeating myself.....

If you don't get it after this, I'm not gonna respond to you regarding this particular proposal.... Enough is enough.....

Again, I'm talking about where the x17a ends in Annadale, not where the x19 runs in Annadale.....

You're sitting up here acting like I'm extending the x8 where the x19 runs in Annadale... 

Of the times I've rode the x23/24, most of those drivers were black.... older ones too, no young guys....

The ones that look like they used to drive greyhound buses back in the 70's.... Lol....

This prick I had on the x24 that day in question, he was some type of mix; didn't look or sound hispanic, so I'm guessing he was 1/2 black, 1/2 white......

Some of these drivers w/ this my bus shit need to calm that shit all the way down... Let there be a super(visor) on your bus acting all out of pocket like that & there won't be any "your bus", because some other soul (driver) will easily & gladly take your place....

AE drivers (the ones that do the 23/24) kinda remind me of SCT & NICE drivers with they way they handle the bus... They're too free-spirited & they don't seem like they value safety (whereas the MTA is the exact opposite of that shit).... You can tell by how they make turns, it's a dead giveaway - and NICE drivers are the absolute worst with showing wanton disregard for passengers, but that's for another discussion....

I said this in an older post, but another thing that irks me about some (express bus) drivers is (and it happened in this case) they catch an attitude when they have to ride to the last stop - full knowing there are seldom any regulars that ride to w/e last stop on a particular route..... I've gotten the smirks & the sucking of teeth when I used to take one of the Hylan branches that run to ETC (twas usually the x7), to ETC, and also the x31 from midtown to ETC (I would tend to catch the 31 that had this arab b/o.... who would always tell me to take the 17j.... One day he had the nerve to say "didn't I tell you to take the 17j".... I told him flat out, don't tell me how to spend my money.... As a man, I HATE that shit......

What it is, is that some of these drivers be doing other shit once their bus empties out, short of a terminal.... Sorry to spoil your leisure (not), but like you, I got places to go too..... It would be one thing if I'm asking a b/o to drop me off at a location where there's no bus stop, or somewhere past the last stop, but come on - Catching an attitude because I wanna ride to the last stop.... Really?

How do I know this? because I've had an Ulmer Park b/o (sea gate x28) ask me if I could "take it here" (which was neptune av), I was like sure.... from neptune to mermaid won't kill me (I still had to walk to nathan's anyway)..... Mind you, there's no stop @ neptune.....  Anyway, he flat out said he needed a smoke break... I chuckled, & said something to the tune of, I understand..... Needless to say, he did NOT drive out to sea gate, because there wasn't anyone else left on the bus.....

Well cause most people don't have the time for riding a long ass route end to end. There is a reason barely anybody uses express buses from the 1st stop except in say the bronx due to structure.

lol... I'm on jury duty so I've been using the BxM4 a lot of late.  Today I had a driver that I usually get on the BxM1.  As a matter of fact I had him last Saturday on the BxM1 heading to the city.  Anywho, today he picks me up going towards Woodlawn, then picks me up again on the return trip to Midtown.  He's like do you have a twin brother because I just dropped you off here. So I chuckled and said, yeah I took care of what I had to down here and now I'm heading back, but some of them will get an attitude if you do that too, as if you're not entitled to ride to and from the city on "their bus". lol  For the most part they usually joke around with me though.  I'm like listen man I have an unlimited for a reason I'm going to use the hell out of it to get me where I need to go.

The Ulmer Park drivers are usually cool overall.  I've had some of them on the X28 drop me off by the train station for example since they were heading back to the depot.  Staten Island B/O's can be hit or miss.  I found the nastiest ones were usually on the X16 (most of the old time Castleton B/O's transferred to Meredith) with some drivers out of Yukon not too far behind.

That X17 driver, I would've reported him.  Some of those Arab guys can be downright disgusting with their behavior, talking down to you and sh*t.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Well cause most people don't have the time for riding a long ass route end to end.

There is a reason barely anybody uses express buses from the 1st stop except in say the bronx due to structure.

Sure, and most people aren't hellbent on SPEED as you are either.....

Frequency & Proximity to one's destination quite frankly matters a hell of a lot more.... For example, those that muse(d) on SILive's transit section is solid proof of that....

lol... I'm on jury duty so I've been using the BxM4 a lot of late.  Today I had a driver that I usually get on the BxM1.  As a matter of fact I had him last Saturday on the BxM1 heading to the city.  Anywho, today he picks me up going towards Woodlawn, then picks me up again on the return trip to Midtown.  He's like do you have a twin brother because I just dropped you off here. So I chuckled and said, yeah I took care of what I had to down here and now I'm heading back, but some of them will get an attitude if you do that too, as if you're not entitled to ride to and from the city on "their bus". lol  For the most part they usually joke around with me though.  I'm like listen man I have an unlimited for a reason I'm going to use the hell out of it to get me where I need to go.

The Ulmer Park drivers are usually cool overall.  I've had some of them on the X28 drop me off by the train station for example since they were heading back to the depot.  Staten Island B/O's can be hit or miss.  I found the nastiest ones were usually on the X16 (most of the old time Castleton B/O's transferred to Meredith) with some drivers out of Yukon not too far behind.

That X17 driver, I would've reported him.  Some of those Arab guys can be downright disgusting with their behavior, talking down to you and sh*t.

That 31 driver... I'm usually not one to report people, but the last time I took the 31 (which he happened to be operating it), I was seriously thinking about doing so (he didn't say nothing, but he had an angry look on his face).... That was around the time I was fanning the "via NJ" routes after work.... Odd that I would always catch him on the 31, but whenever I took the 30, it was always a different driver......

UP drivers, yeah, I agree.... Talkative bunch of guys, funny too (same with LGA... the older white guys, specifically... those that were likely there during the PBL days)... Kinda remind you of gypsy cab drivers back in the 80's w/ the funny stories they'd tell....

I used to feel awkward if I caught the same b/o going & coming to/from somewhere.... Now, I don't give a shit (with the assumption that they don't either... nor should they).... Long as I pay my fare w/ no problems, there should be no problems.... I've never had a b/o that I had going & coming say anything to me....

While I've never encountered such drivers that would actually say to my face that I'm not allowed to board "their bus" back home, I did encounter more than once angry looks on their faces when I did so lol.

The other thing that's cute is if you get on the bus and get off at a different stop or get on a different line that they're on. LOL God forbid you don't have the same routine.  Me I'm all over the place so my schedule always changes.  Some drivers will actually hold the bus (particularly on express buses) and remind you that you normally get off at such and such stop or they'll have an attitude, or they'll try to guess which stop you want.  I say to myself, listen, just drive.  There's a request stop button for a reason.  <_<

Frequency & Proximity to one's destination quite frankly matters a hell of a lot more.... For example, those that muse(d) on SILive's transit section is solid proof of that....

That 31 driver... I'm usually not one to report people, but the last time I took the 31 (which he happened to be operating it), I was seriously thinking about doing so (he didn't say nothing, but he had an angry look on his face).... That was around the time I was fanning the "via NJ" routes after work.... Odd that I would always catch him on the 31, but whenever I took the 30, it was always a different driver......

UP drivers, yeah, I agree.... Talkative bunch of guys, funny too (same with LGA... the older white guys, specifically... those that were likely there during the PBL days)... Kinda remind you of gypsy cab drivers back in the 80's w/ the funny stories they'd tell....

I used to feel awkward if I caught the same b/o going & coming to/from somewhere.... Now, I don't give a shit (with the assumption that they don't either... nor should they).... Long as I pay my fare w/ no problems, there should be no problems.... I've never had a b/o that I had going & coming say anything to me....

On Staten Island, I would get the same guys sometimes going to and from the city for quick trips (i.e. Whole Foods).  They were okay about it.  The Yonkers drivers can be a trip though, though of late I've been getting more of the regulars that are courteous. It's probably not a coincidence that so many of them (the nasty ones) have been fired since I moved to Riverdale.  The ones remaining are for the most part courteous or they don't say anything and just remain quiet.  Only a few a-holes left that I can think of off of the top of my head and with time I'm sure they'll be fired too.

"Their bus" lol. What you drive your girl around or something? Get over yourselves.

I'm serious.  I think it's moreso with express bus drivers too.  I've never witnessed this on any local bus line.  

X17a takes them to Manhattan directly they ain't got no time for doing the cha cha slide through south shore with x8 drop it.  If x17a is so problem prone MTA would get on it done. After a certain part x8s empty out in SI forget getting those people to put up with that why you think x17 is getting more service lately? Cause people need to get to their areas faster and x1 ain't cutting it it's just frequent.

X17a takes them to Manhattan directly they ain't got no time for doing the cha cha slide through south shore with x8 drop it.  If x17a is so problem prone MTA would get on it done. After a certain part x8s empty out in SI forget getting those people to put up with that why you think x17 is getting more service lately? Cause people need to get to their areas faster and x1 ain't cutting it it's just frequent.

Drop it? You brought it back up.... Heed your own f**kin advice, why don't you....

The same guy that's now stating what the MTA would "get on" if a route is so problem prone (which couldn't be any further from the truth... open your eyes & pay a-damn-ttention) after a suggestion to it, is the same guy that's posted a myriad of stupid ass suggestions on this forum - with the most recent being some SI-Sheepshead Bay route....

If that's not enough, this guy now has to resort to lies to make his point in rebuttal....

- Lie #1: I never said anything about 17a being so "problem prone" (which isn't the point of the suggestion anyway)...

- Lie #2: x17a doesn't run from no Annadale to manhattan directly...

I'm done with this fool in here.... "cha cha slide through the south shore", when I implicitly said what the x8 would do....

On Staten Island, I would get the same guys sometimes going to and from the city for quick trips (i.e. Whole Foods).  They were okay about it.  The Yonkers drivers can be a trip though, though of late I've been getting more of the regulars that are courteous. It's probably not a coincidence that so many of them (the nasty ones) have been fired since I moved to Riverdale.  The ones remaining are for the most part courteous or they don't say anything and just remain quiet.  Only a few a-holes left that I can think of off of the top of my head and with time I'm sure they'll be fired too.

extra, or extra-extra (or whatever the term is) drivers perhaps? That's what it's sounding like to me....

It's like substitute teachers - they know they're not the "regular" teacher for the class, so they could care less about the actual students themselves.... they're just fill-in's, temporaries, etc.....

Edited by B35 via Church

Drop it? You brought it back up.... Heed your own f**kin advice, why don't you....

The same guy that's now stating what the MTA would "get on" if a route is so problem prone (which couldn't be any further from the truth... open your eyes & pay a-damn-ttention) after a suggestion to it, is the same guy that's posted a myriad of stupid ass suggestions on this forum - with the most recent being some SI-Sheepshead Bay route....

If that's not enough, this guy now has to resort to lies to make his point in rebuttal....

- Lie #1: I never said anything about 17a being so "problem prone" (which isn't the point of the suggestion anyway)...

- Lie #2: x17a doesn't run from no Annadale to manhattan directly...

I'm done with this fool in here.... "cha cha slide through the south shore", when I implicitly said what the x8 would do....

extra, or extra-extra (or whatever the term is) drivers perhaps? That's what it's sounding like to me....

It's like substitute teachers - they know they're not the "regular" teacher for the class, so they could care less about the actual students themselves.... they're just fill-in's, temporaries, etc.....

I looked it over I have a better idea if you insist on that extension why not the x15 as it's more direct in SI and serves the same area as x8 that can work over x17a's portion 

YOU NEED A CHILL PILL DUDE sorry.

I looked it over I have a better idea if you insist on that extension why not the x15 as it's more direct in SI and serves the same area as x8 that can work over x17a's portion 

YOU NEED A CHILL PILL DUDE sorry.

Not a chance holmes. The X15 is not direct at all, in fact the contrary. Arguably it's one of the routes that already has a purpose, which as it stands is serving the Richmond Road corridor and the neighborhood of Richmond proper.

As it stands the route carries damn good and ETC suffices just fine as a terminus for the X15. To borrow quote from you "try again".

Not a chance holmes. The X15 is not direct at all, in fact the contrary. Arguably it's one of the routes that already has a purpose, which as it stands is serving the Richmond Road corridor and the neighborhood of Richmond proper.

As it stands the route carries damn good and ETC suffices just fine as a terminus for the X15. To borrow quote from you "try again".

Same argument for x8 stands.