Staten Island Bus Proposal Thread 2012-2013

FamousNYLover

To be frank, why not just combine the S42 and S46? The S42 could be a rush hour only branch of the S46 called the S46A or something of the like. Considering that the S52 already runs through there, I see little opposition from residents... then again, the S46 does pass through a more middle-class part of SI, so there still may be trouble.

I'd be in disagreement.

Consolidating the S42 (or the remnants of it) with the S46 would be subjecting patrons of both routes to more crowded buses, unnecessary looping, and likely longer intervals on both portions; all of which would inevitably unnecessarily cause massive delays.

Or then again perhaps it'd fly with residents. I would wager otherwise but you never know.

Personally I'd be more in favor of sending the S42 back to the vicinity of Silver Lake. That or extending the S42 along Richmond Terrace eastward to supplement the overcrowded S40.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How bout we make the S77 end in that hospital near bay ridge i think in crospey ave? 

Since the S77 is running on castleton to west brighton, the S42 can be extended via the S44 on lafayette and henderson and end in west brighton with the S77. I also already proposed a S99 from the ferry to newark airport using forest and goethals. 

Now the S44, S46, S48, S52, S78 will see crowding relief with the new services as well as the S53 and S79 since some customers will now be using the S77.

How bout we make the S77 end in that hospital near bay ridge i think in crospey ave? 

Since the S77 is running on castleton to west brighton, the S42 can be extended via the S44 on lafayette and henderson and end in west brighton with the S77. I also already proposed a S99 from the ferry to newark airport using forest and goethals. 

Now the S44, S46, S48, S52, S78 will see crowding relief with the new services as well as the S53 and S79 since some customers will now be using the S77.

You mean the VA? Smart move sir!

But will the S99 catch commuters? Because the current S89 trips to Bayonne barely catch any.

Not to mention it's cheaper to simply send S57 there. And just boost LTD service on connecting lines to the ferry. Heck it's cheaper to have NJT undertake such a route via 37 or go28 extension as they can just add in that interstate fare premium. With just a place to end such route at a major connection point.

Yeah where the 70 and 8 end

Interesting very interesting

Stop putting buses highways. Back to the drawing board you go...

Again try again come up with a fast alternative to B1&4 or backtracking to the (R).

By definition, a bus on the Belt would not be picking up passengers. This bus would essentially be burning money on the Belt even if it was full (and it probably wouldn't be), and the MTA simply cannot afford to do so. Why do you think express bus service is so expensive to provide and costs at least $6, even with all the service cuts they've done over the years?

Express buses go to Manhattan and would be much longer. As long as it gets a lot of use in SI at it's stops LTD the non stop in Brooklyn becomes a non factor. Plus express buses cost so much to operate cause they are closed-door!!! As in board once in the outerborough and then empty out in the city. Tryagain

Not to mention it's cheaper to simply send S57 there. And just boost LTD service on connecting lines to the ferry. Heck it's cheaper to have NJT oundertake such a route via 37 or go28 extension as they can just add in that interstate fare premium. With just a place to end such route at a major connection point.

Again try again come up with a fast alternative to B1&4 or backtracking to the (R).

Express buses go to Manhattan and would be much longer. As long as it gets a lot of use in SI at it's stops LTD the non stop in Brooklyn becomes a non factor. Plus express buses cost so much to operate cause they are closed-door!!! As in board once in the outerborough and then empty out in the city. Tryagain

No, you try again

Not to mention it's cheaper to simply send S57 there. And just boost LTD service on connecting lines to the ferry. Heck it's cheaper to have NJT undertake such a route via 37 or go28 extension as they can just add in that interstate fare premium. With just a place to end such route at a major connection point.

Express buses go to Manhattan and would be much longer. As long as it gets a lot of use in SI at it's stops LTD the non stop in Brooklyn becomes a non factor. Plus express buses cost so much to operate cause they are closed-door!!! As in board once in the outerborough and then empty out in the city. Tryagain

Are you suggesting that people are going to jump into the bus while it is doing 55 on the Belt? If it's not picking up passengers for several miles, it is effectively closed-door.

Are you suggesting that people are going to jump into the bus while it is doing 55 on the Belt? If it's not picking up passengers for several miles, it is effectively closed-door.

A stop at va hospital in bay ridge before going to sheepshead bay may be better without adding too much time.

No, you try again

Don't bother

Yeah where the 70 and 8 end

Anyway with such a new route like that it is duplicative and MTA is unlikely to make it unless it stands out from the surrounding lines which it doesn't. I already chimed in on how to make it unique serving kings plaza at it's Brooklyn end and being LTD in Brooklyn can cut travel times to SI by 30 plus minutes or more before I was rudely interrupted.

Let us move on to other possibilities and without the getting mad. You have a good concept. But many in Brooklyn especially southern Brooklyn have long transit trips to SI an alternative that is cheaper than tolls will be nice. 

Edited by qjtransitmaster

Lol @ the last couple posts; Haven't been following this thread.... I've been silent in the SI thread here for a few reasons......

Anyway, after reading the recent x23/24 thread, I'm gonna (finally) come out with this plan/suggestion on how to possibly improve the express bus network down in the south shore.... These ideas are all stemmed by the idea I originally had for the x23/24 (before they diverted the 22 to the Outerbridge P&R).... Hell, the exp. bus network down in the south shore hasn't been talked about much - outside of the (ridiculous, IMO) x17 extension to Tottenville (which I understand, as few ppl. here have actually fanned/otherwise taken expresses down there).....

Text version:

- x8: from ETC, extended to Annadale/Drumgoole....

- x17a (in particular): route notation phased out....

See x17 (no letter) proposal below.

- x17 (in general): x17j's left alone, additional service as x17's (no letter) would run between ETC & lower manhattan during the rush hour, x17c's would run during the rush hour (from huguenot)....

- x19 (lower manhattan): Instead of paralleling the 17c b/w [arthur kill/arden] & [the last stop over there @ huguenot/woodrow], service would continue down arden av, to hylan blvd, to end at hylan/richmond, from manhattan.... The one thing I have long noticed about the 19 is that the masses are off the bus once it reaches Drumgoole.... The few that use the current 19 past Drumgoole/Arden are ppl heading for the Huguenot P&R, or up towards Huguenot/Woodrow - this is one (of many) reasons why I wouldn't tamper with the routing of the x17c/x17j west of ETC.....

- x19 (midtown manhattan): new service that's basically a combination of 23/24 service in annadale & arden hgts.... From manhattan, Service would run "via NJ", then take the west shore to arthur kill rd, then woodrow, arden, hylan, to end with (the proposed) x19 lower manhattan service..... I suppose you could call this the x24 if need be....

- x22: service to Outerbridge P&R eliminated....

- "x23": buses would run in two sections (service alternating)... From manhattan, service would run "via NJ", down to the west shore expwy, to arthur kill, to huguenot (av), then either take:

path 1) Huguenot, to Hylan, to Seguine, to Foster, to Drumgoole

path 2) Huguenot, to Woodrow, to Foster, to Drumgoole

...then nonstop to Outerbridge P&R

Map version: (outbound services drawn only)

- x19 services (lower & midtown manhattan) & x23 service

[both are on the same map]

* no point in mapping the x17 (no letter) change, because the additional rush hour service would be exactly the same as the current 17c b/w ETC & lower manhattan....

==========================================

Feel free to leave any thoughts.....

Lol @ the last couple posts; Haven't been following this thread.... I've been silent in the SI thread here for a few reasons......

Anyway, after reading the recent x23/24 thread, I'm gonna (finally) come out with this plan/suggestion on how to possibly improve the express bus network down in the south shore.... These ideas are all stemmed by the idea I originally had for the x23/24 (before they diverted the 22 to the Outerbridge P&R).... Hell, the exp. bus network down in the south shore hasn't been talked about much - outside of the (ridiculous, IMO) x17 extension to Tottenville (which I understand, as few ppl. here have actually fanned/otherwise taken expresses down there).....

Text version:

- x8: from ETC, extended to Annadale/Drumgoole....

- x17a (in particular): route notation phased out....

See x17 (no letter) proposal below.

- x17 (in general): x17j's left alone, additional service as x17's (no letter) would run between ETC & lower manhattan during the rush hour, x17c's would run during the rush hour (from huguenot)....

- x19 (lower manhattan): Instead of paralleling the 17c b/w [arthur kill/arden] & [the last stop over there @ huguenot/woodrow], service would continue down arden av, to hylan blvd, to end at hylan/richmond, from manhattan.... The one thing I have long noticed about the 19 is that the masses are off the bus once it reaches Drumgoole.... The few that use the current 19 past Drumgoole/Arden are ppl heading for the Huguenot P&R, or up towards Huguenot/Woodrow - this is one (of many) reasons why I wouldn't tamper with the routing of the x17c/x17j west of ETC.....

- x19 (midtown manhattan): new service that's basically a combination of 23/24 service in annadale & arden hgts.... From manhattan, Service would run "via NJ", then take the west shore to arthur kill rd, then woodrow, arden, hylan, to end with (the proposed) x19 lower manhattan service..... I suppose you could call this the x24 if need be....

- x22: service to Outerbridge P&R eliminated....

- "x23": buses would run in two sections (service alternating)... From manhattan, service would run "via NJ", down to the west shore expwy, to arthur kill, to huguenot (av), then either take:

path 1) Huguenot, to Hylan, to Seguine, to Foster, to Drumgoole

path 2) Huguenot, to Woodrow, to Foster, to Drumgoole

...then nonstop to Outerbridge P&R

Map version: (outbound services drawn only)

- x19 services (lower & midtown manhattan) & x23 service

[both are on the same map]

* no point in mapping the x17 (no letter) change, because the additional rush hour service would be exactly the same as the current 17c b/w ETC & lower manhattan....

==========================================

Feel free to leave any thoughts.....

I don't agree with any of this.  I think the (MTA) is handling service down there the right way, which is to extend the X17, see how that performs and then and only then should they consider extending other express bus lines.  Providing the South Shore with express bus service is very expensive even though the buses are used, but the trips are long, so the way I look at it, the X17 gives them a good bang for the buck.  Surely it's expensive to extend that line to Tottenville, but it still allows them to get a decent amount of usage on the line for the extension.  The other thing is more extensions could mean more delays, unreliable service and just additional costs with passengers not utilizing the service or going to lines that are more reliable.  Staten Islanders tend to drive from one express bus to the other and will flock to the lines that are the most reliable, hence the dilemma with the X1 before changes were made to that line.  In my case, I'd usually use car service from one express bus to another, but the point is that ETC is the main anchor down there and it would be wise for the (MTA) to keep it that way and let folks drive from there if need be.  

They are actually having a hearing on Sunday X17 express bus service soon, so they may be looking at add more service on Sundays.

X17 Sunday Service

To establish permanent Sunday service on the X17 express bus route operated by MTA New York City Transit. Sunday service was introduced in September 2012 between Huguenot, Staten Island and Midtown Manhattan on an experimental basis. The service operates every hour with trips leaving Huguenot from 5:00 am to 7:00 pm and trips leaving Midtown from 7:00 am to 8:30 pm.

Time and Place of Hearing

Thursday, November 14, 2013, 5:00 p.m.

MTA New York City Transit

2 Broadway, 20th Floor Conference Room

New York, NY 10004

Please note: For security purposes, you will be required to provide a government-issued photo identification upon entry to our facility. In order to expedite the check-in process, we ask that you RSVP prior to the meeting. We look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

The hearing will begin at 5:00 pm, with registration to speak remaining open until 7:00 pm. All registered speakers will be heard. Each speaker is permitted up to three minutes to testify. Written comments will be accepted until the close of the hearing. Email comments will be accepted at the link at right until 5 p.m. on Friday, November 15.

For more information about the proposed service changes, or to pre-register to speak at the hearing, call or write to MTA NYC Transit Government Affairs, 2 Broadway, 17th Floor, New York, NY 10004, 646.252.2660. You may also pre-register to speak by following link at right.

For hearing-impaired individuals or non-English speaking attendees wishing to arrange for a sign language or foreign language interpreter, please call or fax NYC Transit Government Affairs by Friday, November 8 at 646-252-2660 or fax 646-252-2661.

The hearing location is accessible to the mobility impaired.

Source: http://web.mta.info/mta/news/hearings/

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I don't agree with any of this.  I think the (MTA) is handling service down there the right way, which is to extend the X17, see how that performs and then and only then should they consider extending other express bus lines.  Providing the South Shore with express bus service is very expensive even though the buses are used, but the trips are long, so the way I look at it, the X17 gives them a good bang for the buck.  Surely it's expensive to extend that line to Tottenville, but it still allows them to get a decent amount of usage on the line for the extension.  The other thing is more extensions could mean more delays, unreliable service and just additional costs with passengers not utilizing the service or going to lines that are more reliable.  Staten Islanders tend to drive from one express bus to the other and will flock to the lines that are the most reliable, hence the dilemma with the X1 before changes were made to that line.  In my case, I'd usually use car service from one express bus to another, but the point is that ETC is the main anchor down there and it would be wise for the (MTA) to keep it that way and let folks drive from there if need be.  

They are actually having a hearing on Sunday X17 express bus service soon, so they may be looking at add more service on Sundays.

Source: http://web.mta.info/mta/news/hearings/

You don't agree with any of it mainly because I don't agree with the x17 to Tottenville? That seems to be your main sticking point, when I didn't suggest much of anything happen to the 17 overall (even though I still think the 17 to Tottenville is ridiculous)... You dismissed the rest of what I suggested by throwing them in the category of worthless extensions.... Lol....

Most of what I did was a reconfiguration of service (namely regarding the current x23 & x24), not extensions all over the place....

I most certainly do not think those 2 routes are being handled the right way.... the x23 is circuitous & the 24 north of richmond av is wasteful....

I expected you to give me a more detailed breakdown of why a certain individual proposal won't work down there in the south shore, not a general speech on why extensions aren't always what's best.... I know South Shore is car country, however, that doesn't mean that the network doesn't need improving..... The fact that you have as many ppl. driving to the most reliable route is part of the problem....

Anyway, as far as the x17 goes, thanks for the link.....

Edited by B35 via Church

You don't agree with any of it mainly because I don't agree with the x17 to Tottenville? That seems to be your main sticking point, when I didn't suggest much of anything happen to the 17 overall (even though I still think the 17 to Tottenville is ridiculous)... You dismissed the rest of what I suggested by throwing them in the category of worthless extensions.... Lol....

Most of what I did was a reconfiguration of service (namely regarding the current x23 & x24), not extensions all over the place....

I most certainly do not think those 2 routes are being handled the right way.... the x23 is circuitous & the 24 north of richmond av is wasteful....

I'm not dismissing your suggestions at all.  My thought process is from a cost stand point more than anything.  Surely you could extend some of the routes that you suggested, but from a cost stand point, it's wise for the (MTA) to operate the way that it currently is, even with the X17 "Super route".  The X23 and X24 is a bit much, I'll agree, but I think from the (MTA) 's point of view, they're trying to operate express bus service by squeezing the most out of routes that they can.  I think for now they will be looking to just extend the operation of certain South Shore and variants of ETC bound express buses before they go and extend them.  In my mind, the X17 is being built up as another X1, serving the West Shore and South Shore.  The West Shore and South Shore will continue to see population growth, so the (MTA) is trying to address that with the X17 even though it's becoming longer and longer.

In fact, I'd argue that the X17 weekend service is nothing more than an attempt to get people away from the X1 and to some extent the X10, this way they only have to bump up service on one line.  The X1 on Sundays at some point has service every 12 minutes (lol)... You have plenty of people that use those three lines interchangeably.  Those who drive to the X17 will easily drive to the X1 when the X17 isn't running.

I'm not dismissing your suggestions at all.  My thought process is from a cost stand point more than anything.  Surely you could extend some of the routes that you suggested, but from a cost stand point, it's wise for the (MTA) to operate the way that it currently is, even with the X17 "Super route".  

The X23 and X24 is a bit much, I'll agree, but I think from the (MTA) 's point of view, they're trying to operate express bus service by squeezing the most out of routes that they can.  

I think for now they will be looking to just extend the operation of certain South Shore and variants of ETC bound express buses before they go and extend them. 

It certainly seemed like you were (dismissing em)....

Anyway, I actually considered costs in this whole thing... You're not talking to someone that's just coming out with aimless, impractical, naive suggestions.... I never stated how much service I would throw on these routes, but I wouldn't over-serve any one community, nor am I extending anything to where it's not necessary....

(You could argue sending [my suggested] x23's to the Outerbridge P&R as unnecessary, but I did that for 2 reasons -1] Because I wouldn't have buses parked/idling on the streets of those communities down on the South Shore, and 2] I truly don't believe a route like the x22 should be serving the Outerbridge P&R, when it still got residential Tottenville to serve.... The Outerbridge P&R wouldn't be much of a park & ride if folks aren't "riding" to anything)

Of course the MTA is trying to penny-pinch as far as service goes... I can understand not being wasteful with service, but frugality (especially when you have real people that rely on public transportation, be it via the express bus, local bus, subway, or RR irks the hell out of me.... I cannot co-sign frugality, I just can't.....

What do you mean by extend the operation of? Are you talking about span of service, or something else?

Anyway, I actually considered costs in this whole thing... You're not talking to someone that's just coming out with aimless, impractical, naive suggestions.... I never stated how much service I would throw on these routes, but I wouldn't over-serve any one community, nor am I extending anything to where it's not necessary....

(You could argue sending [my suggested] x23's to the Outerbridge P&R as unnecessary, but I did that for 2 reasons -1] Because I wouldn't have buses parked/idling on the streets of those communities down on the South Shore, and 2] I truly don't believe a route like the x22 should be serving the Outerbridge P&R, when it still got residential Tottenville to serve.... The Outerbridge P&R wouldn't be much of a park & ride if folks aren't "riding" to anything)

Of course the MTA is trying to penny-pinch as far as service goes... I can understand not being wasteful with service, but frugality (especially when you have real people that rely on public transportation, be it via the express bus, local bus, subway, or RR irks the hell out of me.... I cannot co-sign frugality, I just can't.....

What do you mean by extend the operation of? Are you talking about span of service, or something else?

I meant the span of service (as in the hours of operation)... I think they (the (MTA))'s process is very simple.  They don't want any express bus service running like water and any line that has service running outside of rush hours under 15 minutes is not something they care for at all, so they will look to see what other express bus line they can bump up to entice folks to use that other line.  Notice what happened with the variants of the X1... The X2 now runs later in the mornings for example.  It's precisely why they've vehemently refused any restoration of the X28 on weekends because that allows them to then use the monies that would've went to the X28 and spend them on the X17, which will obviously be used more than the X28. I don't know if you've noticed this but the (MTA) for years has been cutting on one express bus line and using those funds to add service to another line... For example, cut back on Brooklyn express bus service (i.e. X27 or X28 and beef up service on SI express buses). Extending any of variants of the X1 such as the X8 is not something the (MTA) wants to entertain.  You'd see the X17 have more variants before any of those X1 variants are extended. lol  Now the X23 and X24, the only way I would see those lines tweaked is if people complained about the amount of time it took to get from the South Shore.

The X22...  I think the P&R will stick around for a while unless no one is using it.  I would argue that those in Tottenville don't want buses running down there like that, be it local or express.  It's certainly been a sticking point with them before and if you can have a Super Express express bus versus an express bus serving more of Tottenville when you drive to the express bus anyway, which would you go for?  The X12 and X42 are a perfect example of this.  People all drive to the last stop, find parking and then pile on at Slosson and Victory.  Happens over by Hylan by the SIE too... See people parking all along the service road and then jumping on numerous express buses.... Allows them to perhaps still get a good seat too.

It appears SI is your weak point buddy. The x17c is the offpeak branch which means combined. X19 runs there to give direct downtown service from there which is why x17A truncates where it does to make room on the bus for richmond ave folks going downtown hence x19's routing. X17j is the only x17 branch past Annandale at rush to act as midtown service while x19 is downtown so there is no need to extend x8s they will just carry air past ETC since those people will use faster x19s instead. Richmond ave downtown service is operated by x17a trips with J trips going to midtown. South of ETC x19= downtown service for south shore residents and x22&17j handle midtown loads.  that's why x8 doesn't go past ETC as it would be rejected in favor of x23/24/22& 19s. Those on x19 serious about midtown can transfer at victory Blvd for x22/23&24. But due to x22 loads x17j trips go south of ETC as in direct crowd control.

There is a reason x17c doesn't run at rush hour cause x19 is there and is more direct.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

I expected you to give me a more detailed breakdown of why a certain individual proposal won't work down there in the south shore, not a general speech on why extensions aren't always what's best.... I know South Shore is car country, however, that doesn't mean that the network doesn't need improving..... The fact that you have as many ppl. driving to the most reliable route is part of the problem....

Anyway, as far as the x17 goes, thanks for the link.....

Don't worry I got ya covered about why those extensions won't work 

That hasbeen asked before.  The answer is yes.

You see, the S61 and S62 are. A bit crowded during weekends. Maybe 12-minute on the S61 may be ideal but it wouldnt connect to the ferry. The solution? Add S66 service to the mix every half hour and you can even serve the forest shopping centers now. Of course weekend S60 customers may come back, bjt that is less than 200 per weekend. 

I meant the span of service (as in the hours of operation)... I think they (the (MTA))'s process is very simple.  They don't want any express bus service running like water and any line that has service running outside of rush hours under 15 minutes is not something they care for at all, so they will look to see what other express bus line they can bump up to entice folks to use that other line.  Notice what happened with the variants of the X1... The X2 now runs later in the mornings for example.  It's precisely why they've vehemently refused any restoration of the X28 on weekends because that allows them to then use the monies that would've went to the X28 and spend them on the X17, which will obviously be used more than the X28. I don't know if you've noticed this but the (MTA) for years has been cutting on one express bus line and using those funds to add service to another line... For example, cut back on Brooklyn express bus service (i.e. X27 or X28 and beef up service on SI express buses). Extending any of variants of the X1 such as the X8 is not something the (MTA) wants to entertain.  You'd see the X17 have more variants before any of those X1 variants are extended. lol  Now the X23 and X24, the only way I would see those lines tweaked is if people complained about the amount of time it took to get from the South Shore.

The X22...  I think the P&R will stick around for a while unless no one is using it.  I would argue that those in Tottenville don't want buses running down there like that, be it local or express.  It's certainly been a sticking point with them before and if you can have a Super Express express bus versus an express bus serving more of Tottenville when you drive to the express bus anyway, which would you go for?  The X12 and X42 are a perfect example of this.  People all drive to the last stop, find parking and then pile on at Slosson and Victory.  Happens over by Hylan by the SIE too... See people parking all along the service road and then jumping on numerous express buses.... Allows them to perhaps still get a good seat too.

Anything that involves an extension of service not followed by some sort of cut elsewhere/someway/somehow, the MTA isn't interested in....

As far as possible tweaking of the x23/24, although time isn't really a complaint of theirs (not that I've heard/read anyway), safety is - Which is one reason those riders want the MTA operating those routes...... Not for nothing, but they have a point regarding safety, those AE drivers do tend to drive a little reckless, esp. whilst on the NJ tpke..... I've been on about 2 or 3 x24's where the driver was running all sorts of red lights on hylan... One driver one time (and I never forget this) had the gall to say to me "what the f**k are you still doing on the bus", as if buses don't run up to Tysens.....

Don't know if there's a swath of folks boarding at the P&R particularly, but I actually think Tottenville (unlike the rest of those south shore neighborhoods) welcome bus service; I don't get the sense that they're anti public transportation.... They were pretty vocal that the 74 got cut back to terminate at that (overrated) mall; Bricktown....

It appears SI is your weak point buddy.

The x17c is the offpeak branch which means combined.

X19 runs there to give direct downtown service from there which is why x17A truncates where it does to make room on the bus for richmond ave folks going downtown hence x19's routing.

X17j is the only x17 branch past Annandale at rush to act as midtown service while x19 is downtown so there is no need to extend x8s they will just carry air past ETC since those people will use faster x19s instead. Richmond ave downtown service is operated by x17a trips with J trips going to midtown. South of ETC x19= downtown service for south shore residents and x22&17j handle midtown loads.  that's why x8 doesn't go past ETC as it would be rejected in favor of x23/24/22& 19s. Those on x19 serious about midtown can transfer at victory Blvd for x22/23&24. But due to x22 loads x17j trips go south of ETC as in direct crowd control.

There is a reason x17c doesn't run at rush hour cause x19 is there and is more direct.

Don't worry I got ya covered about why those extensions won't work 

Lol @ this.... You're not telling me anything I don't already know.....

* What the 17 variants stand for - Yeah, a post I made 2 years ago.... There goes that.

* The 17a is nothing more than a short form of the 17c that runs during the rush (lower manhattan-SI).... Yeah it's there to put more ppl. on the bus (which is why I have them running from ETC, instead of Annadale).... All I really did with that was get rid of the 'A' notation & cut it short to ETC.... Which is why I have the x8 going to Annadale, b/c that also runs to lower manhattan itself....

Furthermore, Never said anything about extending x8's past Annadale, which is what you're implicating when you say "so there is no need to extend x8s they will just carry air past ETC since those people will use faster x19s instead."

* The x19 has nothing to do with the 17a (which is a rush hour variant itself), it has more to do with the 17c (which does not run during the rush).... The 17c/j & the x19 have the same exact terminal in Huguenot & parallel each other west of arthur kill/arden.... Like I said in the proposal post, the x19 tends to die off once it hits Drumgoole.....

* Again, I'd opt to move the x8 there to Annadale because I would have 17's that would run b/w ETC & lower manhattan during the rush... The 17 carries heavy b/w ETC & the other parts of SI it serves.... Annadale portion of the 17a, I wouldn't revoke them of service.... Your whole entire point regarding sending the x8 past ETC is basically you contesting the current 17a running past ETC..... I don't agree that those folks should be left with nothing, nor that those buses carry air (which is what you're implicating 17a's do)....

* Those that take x19's don't think twice about that victory blvd stop, nor does anyone riding any of the other south shore expresses... they may as well abolish/eradicate that stop...

Dude, You seem to be giving me a summary of what the routes do, I'm actually looking for reasons as to why these changes will/won't work (which you never really did)... I know how the current routes are utilized & what portions of what routes sees strong (enough) usage & weak usage... What exactly is your stance regarding SI's south shore express bus network, since SI is my supposed weak point? Or are you still fixated on sending locals to NJ....

Anything that involves an extension of service not followed by some sort of cut elsewhere/someway/somehow, the MTA isn't interested in....

As far as possible tweaking of the x23/24, although time isn't really a complaint of theirs (not that I've heard/read anyway), safety is - Which is one reason those riders want the MTA operating those routes...... Not for nothing, but they have a point regarding safety, those AE drivers do tend to drive a little reckless, esp. whilst on the NJ tpke..... I've been on about 2 or 3 x24's where the driver was running all sorts of red lights on hylan... One driver one time (and I never forget this) had the gall to say to me "what the f**k are you still doing on the bus", as if buses don't run up to Tysens.....

Don't know if there's a swath of folks boarding at the P&R particularly, but I actually think Tottenville (unlike the rest of those south shore neighborhoods) welcome bus service; I don't get the sense that they're anti public transportation.... They were pretty vocal that the 74 got cut back to terminate at that (overrated) mall; Bricktown....

He actually said that? What was your response?  :lol: