Staten Island Bus Proposal Thread 2012-2013

FamousNYLover

That was MONTHS ago, not now, so just cut the BS already and stop bringing me up in this discussion.  

I'll bring up whoever I want in whatever discussion I feel like. 

Oh, and that's another tactic you like to use: Ignoring part of my post and hoping nobody notices. The point in bringing you up was that you are/were a frequent user of the tactic I mentioned before (seeing one word/phrase and then harping all over it). The point wasn't to discuss your views on any proposal I made. 

The S89 to New Jersey doesn't pay for itself, and is in the bottom 10 of bus routes in terms of ridership.

No one wants to take a bus to the light rail.

It depends on how specifically he wants to send it to EWR (Bayonne or Goethals Bridge) as to whether the light rail is a factor in this.

But yes, I don't think an SI-NJ route would "pay for itself". Would it be useful? Of course. Would it get decent ridership? Probably. But when the most efficient route on Staten Island (S48) doesn't even make money, how can you expect a route to NJ to "pay for itself"?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll bring up whoever I want in whatever discussion I feel like. 

Oh, and that's another tactic you like to use: Ignoring part of my post and hoping nobody notices. The point in bringing you up was that you are/were a frequent user of the tactic I mentioned before (seeing one word/phrase and then harping all over it). The point wasn't to discuss your views on any proposal I made. 

Well of course you will because how can any conversation you have not exclude me.... VG8 does this, VG8 says that.  The only one who gives a sh*t is you. Make sure you save that on your computer too since you're taking notes.

I'm not questioning the usefulness of some route to NJ, I'm questioning the S57 doing so in particular....

You make it sound like the S57 in particular is the best bet.....

it's structure favors it to go to NJ the S54/55/56 & 57 don't go to brooklyn or st george and have no generators to increase ridership so they are perfect for going to NJ a st George route won't be a good fit as it can potentially take revenue away from NJT as S57 55/56 to nj hubs nearby sort of would improve connections with NJT and even trans bridge sort of. To see the full extent of possible trips wait for future posts in NJT section. The S57 in particular was chosen as it has low ridership and can benefit from this more than say S46 or 48 which have different focus jobs to do. Edited by qjtransitmaster

Well of course you will because how can any conversation you have not exclude me.... VG8 does this, VG8 says that.  The only one who gives a sh*t is you. Make sure you save that on your computer too since you're taking notes.

If you don't want a certain tactic attributed to you, you shouldn't have used that tactic, then. Simple as that. (Watch, you're probably going to twist it around talking about "Oh, how dare anybody have different views than checkmate", when I'm talking about your crappy defense of those views, not the views themselves).

If you don't want a certain tactic attributed to you, you shouldn't have used that tactic, then. Simple as that. (Watch, you're probably going to twist it around talking about "Oh, how dare anybody have different views than checkmate", when I'm talking about your crappy defense of those views, not the views themselves).

Whatever tactics I have I have.  What doesn't make sense is for you to constantly keep bringing my name up in conversations that I'm not even included in or to keep rehashing my positions on things that I've said months and months ago that are basically dead.  We have differing opinions.  Not the end of the world.  Drop the sh*t and move on.  The discussion was between you and qj, so there was no reason why my name should've been included in a discussion between you two.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Whatever tactics I have I have.  What doesn't make sense is for you to constantly keep bringing my name up in conversations that I'm not even included in or to keep rehashing my positions on things that I've said months and months ago that are basically dead.  We have differing opinions.  Not the end of the world.  Drop the sh*t and move on.  The discussion was between you and qj, so there was no reason why my name should've been included in a discussion between you two.

My point is that they're crappy tactics and the same way they make your arguments less credible, they make his arguments less credible when he starts using them. That's my point.

Here we go again. <_<

Could you shut the hell up?

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has been dead for some time. Anyway, in addition to restoring weekend service on the S54 and maybe off peak service on the S42, I'd close down Castleton and temporarily expand Meredith to accept local routes. The only problem would be Yukon being over capacity.

This thread has been dead for some time. Anyway, in addition to restoring weekend service on the S54 and maybe off peak service on the S42, I'd close down Castleton and temporarily expand Meredith to accept local routes. The only problem would be Yukon being over capacity.

To my recollection Meridith was originally to be a temporary facility, to later allow the MTA a sufficient amount of time to build a fourth full service depot in Staten Island. In my opinion I wouldn't mind expanding Meridith, but I'd prefer to just have the fourth depot already.

To my recollection Meridith was originally to be a temporary facility, to later allow the MTA a sufficient amount of time to build a fourth full service depot in Staten Island. In my opinion I wouldn't mind expanding Meridith, but I'd prefer to just have the fourth depot already.

Where was this fourth depot going to be?

Where was this fourth depot going to be?

That was for the MTA to decide. I don't know if by this point they've exceeded the time frame or not.

If anything else, it's surely not a priority at this time.

• 3 weeks later...

Why is the S66 in a U shape? Instead, why not have it follow the S46 route until broadway, send it down bdwy, use forest to reach Jewett, run on victory until CSI, then turn left inside the college instead of going straight, follow the loop rd bus route until reaching the S93 terminal.

The 61/62 can run with more frequency during the peak hours and have the 61 go to Grymes hill all times (91 will run straight on victory), but DO have the S61 run to the ferry i the AM peak.

New frequencies: S61 15 15 15 15    S62: 15 15 15 15 60     S66: 15 20 15 30 

30 15 15 20             30 15 15 20 60    S91/S92: 2 full-route buses await every ferry

30 15 15 30             30 20 20 30 60

The current peak-hour frequencies for the S61/S62 are good the way they are since their limited counterparts carry more passengers. But send the S61 to serve Grymes Hill? Seriously? What purpose would that serve? No need for two routes going up that way...... And S91/S92 service running all day is overkill since ridership really isn't there for it.

By sending S61's to Grymes Hill, you'd be making people's trips longer and possibly causing ferry-bound passengers to miss Manhattan bound ferries, so that idea doesn't bring any positives.

As for your suggestion to have more frequent S66 midday service, not really needed as most buses are practically empty. I don't know where or why you thought having it follow the S46, S48 and making it go to CSI would improve it. The route already serves it's purpose by providing coverage between St. George, Grymes Hill, and Jewett Av.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

The current peak-hour frequencies for the S61/S62 are good the way they are since their limited counterparts carry more passengers. But send the S61 to serve Grymes Hill? Seriously? What purpose would that serve? No need for two routes going up that way...... And S91/S92 service running all day is overkill since ridership really isn't there for it.

By sending S61's to Grymes Hill, you'd be making people's trips longer and possibly causing ferry-bound passengers to miss Manhattan bound ferries, so that idea doesn't bring any positives.

As for your suggestion to have more frequent S66 midday service, not really needed as most buses are practically empty. I don't know where or why you thought having it follow the S46, S48 and making it go to CSI would improve it. The route already serves it's purpose by providing coverage between St. George, Grymes Hill, and Jewett Av.

I think by sending S61 or 62 via grymes hill he can reroute S66 to Brooklyn those who don't want grymes hill can transfer most of the time you see S61& 62 together at the same time anyway.

I think by sending S61 or 62 via grymes hill he can reroute S66 to Brooklyn those who don't want grymes hill can transfer most of the time you see S61& 62 together at the same time anyway.

You're not understanding what I'm saying. There is no need for both the S61 and S62 to serve Grymes Hill since you already have a low ridership route like the S66 serving it. And what is it with this idea to send the S66 to Brooklyn? No need or demands for it either.

You're not understanding what I'm saying. There is no need for both the S61 and S62 to serve Grymes Hill since you already have a low ridership route like the S66 serving it. And what is it with this idea to send the S66 to Brooklyn? No need or demands for it either.

I said either or as in one of em then take S66 and send it to Brooklyn.

When i said 2 full route buses await every ferry, i meant during the peak direction. (6-9AM, 3-6Pm). kind of like the S98 how it comes at 5:30 and 5:31 except have them both go to travis or the mall.

Also, i wanted only the S61 to go to grymes hill. the 91 ca stay on victory.

I thought the reroute would most likely serve the purpose of helping S46 students to get to IS61 since they are overcrowded. Also would provide better service to students to CSI.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I also would like for there to be a 1-seat ride route (lets call this the S73) from St George to Bay ridge 

It would run along the S78, until at tompkins It would swich to the S52 untill the narros rds and hop on the SIE to reach brooklyn using the S53 route.  They can run at these frequencies:

S73: 15 20 15 20   +S79+: 12 10 9 12 

20 15 15 30                12 10 10 15

30 15 15 30                15 12 10 12

S78: 20* 15 15 20

15 15 10 15

20 15 15 20

* Additional school service could be provided

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

The S89, S93, and S98 need off-peak service as follows:

S89: 12 20 15 30           S93: 10 20 15 30     S98: 10 15 10 30      S48: 10 15 10 20 60

30 30                  30 20 20 30               30 15 15 30 60

30 30                    30 15 15 30 60

Still overkill? Maybe it is.

But this is also overkill (frequency compared to ridership*): S55/56: 30* 30* 30

* Not counting school trippers

When i said 2 full route buses await every ferry, i meant during the peak direction. (6-9AM, 3-6Pm). kind of like the S98 how it comes at 5:30 and 5:31 except have them both go to travis or the mall.

Also, i wanted only the S61 to go to grymes hill. the 91 ca stay on victory.

I thought the reroute would most likely serve the purpose of helping S46 students to get to IS61 since they are overcrowded. Also would provide better service to students to CSI.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I also would like for there to be a 1-seat ride route (lets call this the S73) from St George to Bay ridge 

It would run along the S78, until at tompkins It would swich to the S52 untill the narros rds and hop on the SIE to reach brooklyn using the S53 route.  They can run at these frequencies:

S73: 15 20 15 20   +S79+: 12 10 9 12 

20 15 15 30                12 10 10 15

30 15 15 30                15 12 10 12

S78: 20* 15 15 20

15 15 10 15

20 15 15 20

* Additional school service could be provided

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

The S89, S93, and S98 need off-peak service as follows:

S89: 12 20 15 30           S93: 10 20 15 30     S98: 10 15 10 30      S48: 10 15 10 20 60

30 30                  30 20 20 30               30 15 15 30 60

30 30                    30 15 15 30 60

Still overkill? Maybe it is.

But this is also overkill (frequency compared to ridership*): S55/56: 30* 30* 30

* Not counting school trippers

You seriously expect people to wait for a local bus for an hour?? 

• 2 weeks later...