Staten Island Bus Proposal Thread 2012-2013

FamousNYLover

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we get back on topic please?

Does anyone think that the S53 is worthy of LTD service and no the S93 is its own seperate route.

A new limited route along the S53 would certainly attract not only current riders but also new riders. The S53 is the busiest on the Island, more than the S46 and the S79 Select. The LTD would open new and faster travel options that were not available before-hand.

The best plan would be to have S93 between CSI and Bay Ridge via Victory/Clove/Narrows Rd 5-days a week. This has already been revealed to be coming to SI in 2014. However, the S53 would be truncated to Sunnyside or Victory Blvd/Clove Road on weekdays with a S83 via Castleton/Broadway/Narrows Rd serving the north shore with a transfer available at Victory Blvd/Clove Road. S83 would make all local stops between Victory Blvd/Clove Road and Port Richmond.

And the M15 local breezes at night at a 30 minute headway. It has 0 ppl below chinatown and it's supposed to be #1 in the sity 

#1 in the city doesnt mean it has to be crowded overnight. The M15 is extremely crowded during daytime. So crowded that it reaches #1 in the city.

Honestly, I don't see a need for this "S83". While the S53 is SI's busiest route, it doesn't have comparable ridership to routes like the Q58 or B46 to justify it's own LTD. This was said a few times and I will say it again, a few extra trips would help.

"The LTD would open new and faster travel options that were not available before-hand." Ridership would most likely increase after new improvements are brought into place.

If that same thinking was applied in the past, the S53 would still be terminating every other bus in Sunnyside with every 30 minute service to Port Richmond and there would be no S93.

A purpose for the S83 to me would be to, during the rush hours, separate longer-haul riders (i.e., those going to South Beach and Grasmere) from longer-distance drivers. I would have the S83 replace the S53 to Port Richmond during the rush, during which time, the S53 would only run between Bay Ridge and Victory Boulevard.

The S83 would make all S53 local stops to Victory Boulevard/Niagara Street, then follow the S93 to Bay Ridge.

Okay how about we propose the S99+ Select Bus Service through forest and south aves and still keep the 9698 during rush and even only. 

The other option will be to run the S88+ Select Bus Service through the S78 route down tompkins and then use the S52 route to fingerboard rd to get to the Xpressway. 

We also need S96-full weekday LTD and S94 7-day limited. 

99: 15 20 12 30.    88: 15 15 12 30.    96: 7 12 10 20.   94: 10 15 10 30   

30 15 15 20.          30 30 30 30.                                     30 20 20 30

30 20 20 30.           30 30 30 30.                                     30 30 20 30

Thats hot. How'd u edit that

How do you do that?

It's quick and easy. All you have to do is just open the S53 and S93 on Bus Time, type 'S83' into the search bar, screencap them, and do a lot of copy and pasting on Microsoft Paint. Specifically, the most important copy/paste, on the screencapped S93 page, take the part of the picture showing its stint on the highway, copy it, and on the S53 page, paste it over the corresponding area (where the S53 runs through Grasmere). It doesn't take long.

In North Shore Line's picture, one tiny detail is missing: for Limited routes on BusTime, when you click the headings to show the list of stops, it says "to LTD [destination]" or "to LIMITED [destination]". So where it says "to PT Richmond" should say "to LTD PT Richmond" or "to LIMITED PT Richmond". 

How's my version? :P

S83_zps90c5f177.png

Edited by Mysterious2train

It's quick and easy. All you have to do is just open the S53 and S93 on Bus Time, type 'S83' into the search bar, screencap them, and do a lot of copy and pasting on Microsoft Paint. Specifically, the most important copy/paste, on the screencapped S93 page, take the part of the picture showing its stint on the highway, copy it, and on the S53 page, paste it over the corresponding area (where the S53 runs through Grasmere). It doesn't take long.

In North Shore Line's picture, one tiny detail is missing: for Limited routes on BusTime, when you click the headings to show the list of stops, it says "to LTD [destination]" or "to LIMITED [destination]". So where it says "to PT Richmond" should say "to LTD PT Richmond" or "to LIMITED PT Richmond".

How's my version? :P

S83_zps90c5f177.png

You can also use the "inspect element" function.

• 4 weeks later...

:lol: it's called boost X7 service done I am pretty sure x6 riders have defected to the X7/9 already. The x6 duplicates the x7. Very few go all the way to Richmond ave. If you want to get there quickly use x10B which has the same Manhattan routing. The S89 or s59 would be much faster than a restored x6. You do realize x9 can extend to ETC rendering x6 unnecessary now that x7&9 cover it's entire route.

• 4 weeks later...

SI to NJ routes - multiple proposals. In terms of transit, there is a largely unserved market of Staten Islanders doing business in New Jersey, working and shopping in New Jersey, because of its close proximity. Even though the areas are in New Jersey, the MTA's mission is to provide adequate service to residents in the 12 counties of its service area (plus southwestern Connecticut). As such, I would propose these new services:

The basis is this piece in the Staten Island Advance: http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2013/09/dem_bp_candidate_liedy_extend.html  A route does need to be extended, but it should not be the S55 or S56 routes as I see it. Instead, I would create these routes. To get around restrictions of operating service into New Jersey vis a vis stopping on New Jersey streets, I would seek to have these routes contracted to a New Jersey-based operator (Coach USA, First Student/Transit, Academy - which already operates the local routes in the area under contract, and Student Transportation of America would be the likely bidders).

New routes: X50 - Staten Island to Metropark, and X51 - Staten Island to Raritan Center. In Staten Island. Start at the Staten Island Mall park-ride on Marsh Avenue. Then proceed around the mall and south on Richmond Avenue to the Eltingville Transit Center. Following service to ETC, the X50 and X51 would then proceed down Drumgoole Road, making plckups along Drumgoole. One last pickup would be made at the Outerbridge Park-Ride currently used by the X22. After picking up there, the X50 and X51 would double back to Maguire Avenue and then head over the Outerbridge.

The X50 would head north on the Garden State Parkway at its Exit 128, to exit 131 (Wood Avenue). The X50 would proceed up Wood Avenue, then turn right on the Middlesex Essex Turnpike to service the Metropark train station, and then proceed back down the Middlesex Essex Turnpike, past Wood Avenue, and down Thornhall Street, terminating at the end of Thornhall Street. A return to Staten Island would be via the same route.

The X51 would continue to NJ 514, and exit there to serve Raritan Center. Its route would loop through Raritan Center as follows: Woodbridge Avenue, left on Raritan Center Parkway, right on Fieldcrest Avenue, right on Northfield Avenue, left on Fernwood Avenue, left on Newfield Avenue, left on Raritan Center Parkway, right on Parkway Place, left on Clearview Road, left on King Georges Road, and end at the intersection with Raritan Center Parkway.

Each route would have 4 trips each way, departing Staten Island at 6:30 AM, 7 AM, 7:30 AM, and 8 AM. Trips returning to Staten Island would operate at 4 PM, 4:30 PM, 5 PM, and 5:30 PM.

Later on down the line, an S72 route might be considered, running open-door through Staten Island via the X50/1 routes, but closed-door in New Jersey, serving Woodbridge Center Mall, Metropark, and Menlo Park Mall (which is just beyond Metropark), but that would be on the backburner.

Edited by aemoreira81

SI to NJ routes - multiple proposals. In terms of transit, there is a largely unserved market of Staten Islanders doing business in New Jersey, working and shopping in New Jersey, because of its close proximity. Even though the areas are in New Jersey, the MTA's mission is to provide adequate service to residents in the 12 counties of its service area (plus southwestern Connecticut). As such, I would propose these new services:

The basis is this piece in the Staten Island Advance: http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2013/09/dem_bp_candidate_liedy_extend.html  A route does need to be extended, but it should not be the S55 or S56 routes as I see it. Instead, I would create these routes. To get around restrictions of operating service into New Jersey vis a vis stopping on New Jersey streets, I would seek to have these routes contracted to a New Jersey-based operator (Coach USA, First Student/Transit, Academy - which already operates the local routes in the area under contract, and Student Transportation of America would be the likely bidders).

New routes: X50 - Staten Island to Metropark, and X51 - Staten Island to Raritan Center. In Staten Island. Start at the Staten Island Mall park-ride on Marsh Avenue. Then proceed around the mall and south on Richmond Avenue to the Eltingville Transit Center. Following service to ETC, the X50 and X51 would then proceed down Drumgoole Road, making plckups along Drumgoole. One last pickup would be made at the Outerbridge Park-Ride currently used by the X22. After picking up there, the X50 and X51 would double back to Maguire Avenue and then head over the Outerbridge.

The X50 would head north on the Garden State Parkway at its Exit 128, to exit 131 (Wood Avenue). The X50 would proceed up Wood Avenue, then turn right on the Middlesex Essex Turnpike to service the Metropark train station, and then proceed back down the Middlesex Essex Turnpike, past Wood Avenue, and down Thornhall Street, terminating at the end of Thornhall Street. A return to Staten Island would be via the same route.

The X51 would continue to NJ 514, and exit there to serve Raritan Center. Its route would loop through Raritan Center as follows: Woodbridge Avenue, left on Raritan Center Parkway, right on Fieldcrest Avenue, right on Northfield Avenue, left on Fernwood Avenue, left on Newfield Avenue, left on Raritan Center Parkway, right on Parkway Place, left on Clearview Road, left on King Georges Road, and end at the intersection with Raritan Center Parkway.

Each route would have 4 trips each way, departing Staten Island at 6:30 AM, 7 AM, 7:30 AM, and 8 AM. Trips returning to Staten Island would operate at 4 PM, 4:30 PM, 5 PM, and 5:30 PM.

Later on down the line, an S72 route might be considered, running open-door through Staten Island via the X50/1 routes, but closed-door in New Jersey, serving Woodbridge Center Mall, Metropark, and Menlo Park Mall (which is just beyond Metropark), but that would be on the backburner.

That would be served best by a 310 NJT route  as extended 10 or 80 with SI Stops at SI MALL, ETC & bricktown mall (offpeak) outerbridge p&r at rush hr. It would absorb the 814. As for metropark what is the difference between S72 & extension of S55? Which would require less resources.

I have mixed feelings about this, and I never post here.

I think both routes should be operated by the (MTA) . While I have no problem with any of those other P/O's doing it, they've got a lot on their hands right now. Especially Academy with them running interstate service and operation NJ Transit's Middlesex County 800s. If anything you should have the MTA do this because 1) It's oriented towards SI more than it is NJ, 2) MTA has the buses to spare. Plus, it'd be pretty cool to see some (MTA) express buses stopping in NJ.

I personally think they should be limited service instead of express and expand service to at least every 30 minutes:

M-F 6a-11p

SAT 7a-9p

SUN 8a-8p

.Every thing other than that is fantastic.BTW Id call them the S49 LTD(your X50) and S50LTD(your X51)

How about a S99 along victory and forest into NWA.

Frequency weekdays: Rush: 2 per ferry. Middays: 15 Eve 20

Weekend Rush(NOONPM) 15

weekend AM/Eve 30

And a shuttle from bayyone to forest av stopping at innis st (S89 shortened)

-40-20

40-20-20-40

40-20-20-40

Along with the LTD's, we will have served all 3 bridges

I have mixed feelings about this, and I never post here.

I think both routes should be operated by the (MTA) . While I have no problem with any of those other P/O's doing it, they've got a lot on their hands right now. Especially Academy with them running interstate service and operation NJ Transit's Middlesex County 800s. If anything you should have the MTA do this because 1) It's oriented towards SI more than it is NJ, 2) MTA has the buses to spare. Plus, it'd be pretty cool to see some (MTA) express buses stopping in NJ.

Academy, Coach USA, and Student Transportation are giant operations...Atlantic Express might also bid as well.

I personally think they should be limited service instead of express and expand service to at least every 30 minutes:

M-F 6a-11p

SAT 7a-9p

SUN 8a-8p

.Every thing other than that is fantastic.BTW Id call them the S49 LTD(your X50) and S50LTD(your X51)

That could be down the line. As a start, this would be strictly a commuter operation.

Academy, Coach USA, and Student Transportation are giant operations...Atlantic Express might also bid as well.

That could be down the line. As a start, this would be strictly a commuter operation.

You do realize I proposed something similar right. As a strictly commuter operation it loses more $$ and NJT wouldn't want to make several local pickups in SI keep the stops to a minimum and keep it moving. I admit that was what I suggested to an NJT rep years ago but in a different form.

Edited by qjtransitmaster