Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process

TheBigLD
Message added by +Young+

Last know called # (322x)

The list for the next open-competitive track worker examination, Exam #8600, has been published.

Please see the Track Worker Exam #8600 topic for more information.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was 519

Yeah I was in that same class, yeah I was reading someone said there was a 10/26 class so I was thinking that class but you're right more likely a December of January Class

You are 100% correct there is an October 26 class gonna have 28 people in the class your gonna start with 2 days at Livingston the most boring by fat then you will head over to ps 248 in Brooklyn for 9 days then you will go into the field in either the Bronx or Brooklyn this is were you get your first taste of seniority you will be in field for four weeks and have to come back to Brooklyn 3 more times once for your respirator once for fire evac training and not sure why we have to come back again and since it's so backed up you will start work after your 4 weeks then you will be called in for a 9 day flagging corse

just some reminders:

senority in class mini pick is based upon list numbers in that group-Not swear in date

you will given your general senority number in class

Capital shift will not be guaranteed nor should it be expected for mini pick nor are they guaranteed if you have low seniority.

put dreams of 80k-100k pay days off for a few years-there are 60+yr old track workers that are not quiting

You can be bumped from a capital job or a desirable job by anyone of the thousands of ppl during a general pick which is 1-3yrs

they want approvals for dual employment and mta has 8hr rule for safety sensative jobs like tw, which states u must have 8 hr on non work before reporting to work. so if u start at 11pm, ur 2nd job must end btwn 2-3pm. its a ridcolous rule that really limits ur income makng ability in a very expensive city -but because or snitches and other factors plenty of ppl get caught after a while- mta ig catches alot of people, even supervisors based upon "anonymous tip". i was going to get a 2nd job to supplement my income but had to think twice about the hrs

Top of the morning all!!! Thanks for that honest update cptjcz .... This is the kind of insight that I like to read. Actual, honest feedback from people either already in the system or in training. I get all of the guys that are trying to keep everyone else's morale up and it's appreciated. However, realism is best. I noticed from the onset how slowly this list has been moving. I had slight doubts from the beginning as to my chances of getting processed with even a 95 score and a list # in the 21xx block and it seems as if those doubts are actual. The reason being is that I ride the rails. A lot. I currently work an overnight shift so I get to see a ton of track workers during my travels and these guys are OLD!! I mean it's very obvious that these guys are well past retirement age but they are still hanging on strong. Most of the guys have seen much better days and are stooped with age and slow and plodding but still working with enthusiasm, still cracking jokes and still conversing with each other about still being able to work for another 5 years or so. I'm going to assume that the MTA may have compiled some info in regards to age and possible retirement and issued another test along those assumptions but the guys had different plans in mind. I can only imagine that the upcoming conductor's exam will follow the same path. Oh well ... I guess it's time to put this test out of my mind. If I get a call a few years from now great. If not, it is what it is. SMH. 

Went in for final processing today. Everything went smoothly. I tried to find out some more info about future classes, all I was told is that they were hiring a bunch of guys. Good luck to all

GM,did you also make it into the oct26 class?

Top of the morning all!!! Thanks for that honest update cptjcz .... This is the kind of insight that I like to read. Actual, honest feedback from people either already in the system or in training. I get all of the guys that are trying to keep everyone else's morale up and it's appreciated. However, realism is best. I noticed from the onset how slowly this list has been moving. I had slight doubts from the beginning as to my chances of getting processed with even a 95 score and a list # in the 21xx block and it seems as if those doubts are actual. The reason being is that I ride the rails. A lot. I currently work an overnight shift so I get to see a ton of track workers during my travels and these guys are OLD!! I mean it's very obvious that these guys are well past retirement age but they are still hanging on strong. Most of the guys have seen much better days and are stooped with age and slow and plodding but still working with enthusiasm, still cracking jokes and still conversing with each other about still being able to work for another 5 years or so. I'm going to assume that the MTA may have compiled some info in regards to age and possible retirement and issued another test along those assumptions but the guys had different plans in mind. I can only imagine that the upcoming conductor's exam will follow the same path. Oh well ... I guess it's time to put this test out of my mind. If I get a call a few years from now great. If not, it is what it is. SMH. 

LIST IN 2000 is within two years/ the smart guys pool their money and retire out of state. other guys basically have no choice, high taxes high cost of living forces people to keep on working

GM,did you also make it into the oct26 class?

Yes I did. Like I said before. The woman I spoke to said they were hiring track workers like mad. So hopefully they run through that list quickly. Lots of guys failing drug test and medical or failing to follow simple instruction. Pay attention to detail and you will be in before you know it.

Do you have to fill out the benefits package before the orientation or can you fill it out there because I don't know some of the info like BSC ID. Also does anyone know the difference between the two bluecross insurance plans. I don't see any except that one costs $26 more a month.

LIST IN 2000 is within two years/ the smart guys pool their money and retire out of state. other guys basically have no choice, high taxes high cost of living forces people to keep on working

Thank you! I also scored a 95% with a list # of 280* and I'm not giving up hope, just need to give it some time...

Yes I did. Like I said before. The woman I spoke to said they were hiring track workers like mad. So hopefully they run through that list quickly. Lots of guys failing drug test and medical or failing to follow simple instruction. Pay attention to detail and you will be in before you know it.

thank you..i'm currently waiting for the call to go in for medical...i believe i went in the day after you,which is the 25th..keeping fingers crossed to get into the next class..

just called the dcas # looking for a update but the automated line has not been updated. it is still saying last apppointed was 272 mean while that was for the last class in june.

I have a feeling once the class actually starts the number of the last appointed will update. I've been checking it myself the last few weeks, plus a few members here are in the 410 range who were recently sworn in. I would say probably 420-430ish will be the updated DCAS figure. I'm in the 480-500 list range, I'm hoping to get my call for medical for the next class whenever that will be. So far it took them close to a year to process the first 5-600 people just for the drug test. I think a few guys who were in the 300 range had to take a second drug test since the expiration date is 90 days. So anything could happen as far as the next class starting sooner or later. 

I have a feeling once the class actually starts the number of the last appointed will update. I've been checking it myself the last few weeks, plus a few members here are in the 410 range who were recently sworn in. I would say probably 420-430ish will be the updated DCAS figure. I'm in the 480-500 list range, I'm hoping to get my call for medical for the next class whenever that will be. So far it took them close to a year to process the first 5-600 people just for the drug test. I think a few guys who were in the 300 range had to take a second drug test since the expiration date is 90 days. So anything could happen as far as the next class starting sooner or later.

I think there will be a 3rd class right after or even at the same time as the 26th class. If there is, I'm almost definitely sure you will be in that class with your list number. The October 5th class had about 30 people in it and they went through about 80 people to fill that class. Assuming the trend stays the same, you should get a call for the next class.

Do you have to fill out the benefits package before the orientation or can you fill it out there because I don't know some of the info like BSC ID. Also does anyone know the difference between the two bluecross insurance plans. I don't see any except that one costs $26 more a month.

You have 90 days to fill out Benefit package or they will choose for you the difference between blue cross and clue cross plus is the one you pay extra for you use their dental the other plans you don't pay for you get MTA dental the only advantage to having the blue cross is if you have kids and they are close to 19 because with blue cross they are covered to 21 but you can choose to get the blue cross when kids are of age and use MTA dental until the united health care there are no copays blue cross has either $15 or $20 company per person per visit but united health care is only good in NY but how often do you use health care in another state for me it was a no brainier unless once again you have kids going to school out of state using blue cross they are covered but they will go over everything in detail once you start class good luck

You have 90 days to fill out Benefit package or they will choose for you the difference between blue cross and clue cross plus is the one you pay extra for you use their dental the other plans you don't pay for you get MTA dental the only advantage to having the blue cross is if you have kids and they are close to 19 because with blue cross they are covered to 21 but you can choose to get the blue cross when kids are of age and use MTA dental until the united health care there are no copays blue cross has either $15 or $20 company per person per visit but united health care is only good in NY but how often do you use health care in another state for me it was a no brainier unless once again you have kids going to school out of state using blue cross they are covered but they will go over everything in detail once you start class good luck

Bobert...I believe the only difference between the 2 plans is that the one that costs more is the high option. Meaning it allows you to go to doctors that are out of network and still be covered. The only benefit I see to this is if you have a doctor that you like who is not in the network and you want to continue going to his or her office. Not worth the money in my opinion. But check with the staff when you start to make sure you are getting the right plan for you and your family. I will be getting the cheapest plan because they are all good. I don't mind paying compartments if my upfront insurance cost is low or free. Free would be best. Had GHI in the past which is expensive and had the empire plan working for the state which is supper cheap in comparison and didn't see a difference and I have 3 kids and a wife. As a matter of fact if you ask me the empire plan was better. You really get the red carpet treatment because providers know they don't have to fight to get their money. Will also gladly pay the extra 2% for lifetime coverage. Take it from an old guy. It's worth every penny.

You are partially correct. Some guys can retire but dont want to for what ever reason. And other just came in at a late age 40+ and dont have the time in. Or you can have guys that didnt do the right thing with their money throughout their career and they are forced to keep working. Different situations...

Thanks for the info. One more question if you don't mind. On the paper they gave me it said not to where any sneakers when I go for training but I don't have any boots, do you know if they let you wear anything else?

Thanks for the info. One more question if you don't mind. On the paper they gave me it said not to where any sneakers when I go for training but I don't have any boots, do you know if they let you wear anything else?

Guys were wearing shoes not dress or sneaker but shoes if that makes sense you don't have to wear boots I didn't wear them you will get them the first day of training at ps 248 in Brooklyn and you are expected to wear those boots always from that point out make sure they fit when you get them try them on and walk around in them cause one a the guys in my class got his tried them on after the truck left and had to go on his own the next day into the city to exchange them for another size they aren't that bad either a lot of people cry about a lot of stuff thats just how some folks are they b$tch and moan about everything fortunately for me my class isn't like that just from posts on this blog I've read.

Yes I believe it is 90¢ an hour they will tell you in class also overtime is anytime you go past your 8 hours

Night Diff on my last check was a $1.50 an hour.

Honestly, I don't remember if it's a set amount like a $1.50 or a percentage of your hourly rate but I can check tomorrow if someone really wants to know.

Overtime is anything OUTSIDE your regular tour.

Some outside jobs want you to go past 8 hours, 40 hours or however they pay you. My brother in the private sector who is paid once a month gets OT after 160 hrs.

If your tour is 8 am-4 pm for example but you report early in the morning at 4 am (like on weekends in capital) but go home sick at 12 noon you are paid OT from 4 am to 8 am then straight time from 8 am to 12 noon then sick time from 12 noon to 4 pm.

Lets say you fill out a PB form (personal business) and come in at 12 noon instead of 8 am and have to stay late for an emergency. You are paid from 8 am-12 noon vacation time / OTO or comp time (your choice) then regular from 12 noon to 4 pm then OT for anything past 4 pm.

Also, if you are out sick 3 days in one week, doesn't matter if you have Dr's lines or not, the sick days are together or separate, you will not be paid the bonus (half time) for any OT worked that week. only straight time for the extra hours worked.

You can take vacation days, OTO or Comp time and come in and still get paid the bonus for any days worked with OT.

Those types of time off do not affect your OT.

Lastly, unless it changed you are not paid for your very first sick day you take. That's the TA's gift from you to them, LOL

With regards to OTO (other time off) we can now save up to 72 hours of OTO as opposed to being paid for your over time.

Work a double (extra 8 hrs) and either get paid for 12 hours (time and a half) or bank it as OTO for use at a later time.

For me having young kids I bank it for when I need a day off. It does not carry over year to year. At the end of the calendar year (December) you are paid for any un-used OTO time.

Vacation time also expires at the end of the FISCAL year which begins May 1st. Anything un-used you are paid for.

Sick time is the only thing that you can carry over year to year and is worthing saving incase you ever need it for a long period.
Also, for a promotion you need to have at least 50% sick time.

Personally, I use my OTO time instead of sick time if I'll be out a week or less because I can replace OTO time easily enough with all the OT we get and it keeps the TA out of medical history.
I tore a calf muscle and was out a month. Thats a little over 2 years worth of sick time gone. Sick days you only get one day a month. That's not a lot.

Just something to think about.

Night Diff on my last check was a $1.50 an hour.

Honestly, I don't remember if it's a set amount like a $1.50 or a percentage of your hourly rate but I can check tomorrow if someone really wants to know.

Overtime is anything OUTSIDE your regular tour.

Some outside jobs want you to go past 8 hours, 40 hours or however they pay you. My brother in the private sector who is paid once a month gets OT after 160 hrs.

If your tour is 8 am-4 pm for example but you report early in the morning at 4 am (like on weekends in capital) but go home sick at 12 noon you are paid OT from 4 am to 8 am then straight time from 8 am to 12 noon then sick time from 12 noon to 4 pm.

Lets say you fill out a PB form (personal business) and come in at 12 noon instead of 8 am and have to stay late for an emergency. You are paid from 8 am-12 noon vacation time / OTO or comp time (your choice) then regular from 12 noon to 4 pm then OT for anything past 4 pm.

Also, if you are out sick 3 days in one week, doesn't matter if you have Dr's lines or not, the sick days are together or separate, you will not be paid the bonus (half time) for any OT worked that week. only straight time for the extra hours worked.

You can take vacation days, OTO or Comp time and come in and still get paid the bonus for any days worked with OT.

Those types of time off do not affect your OT.

Lastly, unless it changed you are not paid for your very first sick day you take. That's the TA's gift from you to them, LOL

Yes it will be $1.50 when it goes up and it's kinda like raises pay goes up each year and night dif goes up until you reach $1.50 atleast that's what my class was told also everyone coming in in my class and from here out you don't reach top pay until your sixth year on the job of corse you can take a specialist job or get a promotion and make more money faster but if you stay strictly track worker gonna take six years