Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process

TheBigLD
Message added by +Young+

Last know called # (322x)

The list for the next open-competitive track worker examination, Exam #8600, has been published.

Please see the Track Worker Exam #8600 topic for more information.

I went in on 10/6 to take the drug test, but had to return the next day to take it after paying a pending ticket. I remember the lady behind the counter telling me not to waste too much time because at the end of that week they would not be processing anymore track workers for a while. In fact she called someone on the phone to verify this. She also said many many people were becoming ineligible for various reasons, but I think mainly she was trying to say they failed the drug test. I'm # 72x

Good luck to all

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I called Dcas today and found out I'm no longer on a outstanding certification. Anybody else in a similar situation? If yes what is ur list number mine is in the 455-470 range.

Not on an outstanding certification means the list went back to DCAS. I have the same status. The last number appointed into the 10/26 class was 415, I'm in the 485-495 range. When DCAS places us back on an outstanding certification it means they're getting the wheels turning for the next upcoming class. Maybe December they'll get the ball rolling for the winter class, if not we'll be going in for a second drug test sometime this winter.

Edited by SteveNYC

Since ive been working for NYCT im loving it honestly,yes im waiting for track worker for various reasons,and yes this list is moving incredibly slow (650's range) but im happy that im employed already. Getting ready for picks next month. Hope to see alot of you guys soon in those tunnels.

We will be reporting there Tuesday but I'm not sure if we will be staying in that yard... 23 years on the job, that's awesome. The training is very focused on saftey. Have you had any serious injuries?

If you, or anyone else are in Westchester yard tomorrow (Tuesday the 10th) look for a short or average height white guy with a blue T-shirt, I'll have on a Grey Helmet. Above the MTA logo on the front I'll put a strip of black electrical tape.

If you see me come and say Hello or just ask if i'm the guy from the forum online.

FYI ALWAYS treat that 3rd rail as if its live! ALWAYS! and stay on point on those tracks those trains are unforgiving! When i went for flagging i seen seasoned guys do some dangerous things. And i pray i never get that comfortable. Be safe out there!!

What type dangerous things did you see?

If you, or anyone else are in Westchester yard tomorrow (Tuesday the 10th) look for a short or average height white guy with a blue T-shirt, I'll have on a Grey Helmet. Above the MTA logo on the front I'll put a strip of black electrical tape.

If you see me come and say Hello or just ask if i'm the guy from the forum online.

I just read this now, but we were in Westchester yard on the 10th doing slotter n chainsaw. We will probably be back there soon. Keep that electric tape there and I will try to find you.

I just read this now, but we were in Westchester yard on the 10th doing slotter n chainsaw. We will probably be back there soon. Keep that electric tape there and I will try to find you.

I was hanging out near the Track trailer for a little while with my foreman and another maintainer. I saw of you then it seemed they split all you up. I did see some guys using the rail drill.

What type dangerous things did you see?

I Seen guys standing on the 3rd rail protection boards. Sitting having their lunch on the 3rd rail protection boards ( with their key chain hanging from the side of their pants). Thats crazy to me. Those boards dont even look sturdy. And u dont know when they can give. I have worked 17yrs union construction on the out side and i seen how fast an accident can happen. And 600 volts is nothing i want to play around with.

I got f@ck$d at chambers street suck wanted Bronx but see what the future brings

spoke to one of your classmates today at 38th street yard. They said you guys had some really crappy picks such as cleaner. My class was fortunate in that regard. About 15 capital jobs and 15 maintenance. Both days and nights. Anyway good luck and if you don't have your CDL take the test and get your permit before the next bid comes up. You could bid right out of chambers street. The test costs $10 bucks and it costs another 12 for them to issue you the permit. If they tell you that you have to take a medical tell them that your job will do it for you. Otherwise they won't issue you a permit. Also bring your passport with you to the exam. They won't issue you a permit without that either. Also your classmates were highly doubtful that you guys dug out 100 ties in the BX the other day. They got a good laugh about that.

Congrats to all my track brothers and sisters who graduated training today. Good luck and safe work out in the field. To all who are waiting for that call, I spoke to my trainer and he said there should be another class before the end of the year. Also if you wear glasses make sure you wear them instead of contacts when you go for medical. You WILL be put on medical hold if you don't. Contacts are not allowed on the tracks. I know of 2 guys that were placed on hold for not having glasses for the medical test. One guy had to wait for months to be called in. He should have been in the class before mine. Make sure you have your glasses. Don't get delayed until next year. Good luck. It's a great job. You will find out how great when you start.

spoke to one of your classmates today at 38th street yard. They said you guys had some really crappy picks such as cleaner. My class was fortunate in that regard. About 15 capital jobs and 15 maintenance. Both days and nights. Anyway good luck and if you don't have your CDL take the test and get your permit before the next bid comes up. You could bid right out of chambers street. The test costs $10 bucks and it costs another 12 for them to issue you the permit. If they tell you that you have to take a medical tell them that your job will do it for you. Otherwise they won't issue you a permit. Also bring your passport with you to the exam. They won't issue you a permit without that either. Also your classmates were highly doubtful that you guys dug out 100 ties in the BX the other day. They got a good laugh about that.

Then you are talking to people that weren't there or have no idea how to count if you go to Westchester yard and see the stretch we cleared you count the ties from the tracks next to it and do your own math anyhow good luck, starting tunnels tonight and yeah taking that cdl test next Thursday

Oh just realized you said 38th street yard your in Brooklyn yeah they don't do sh@t there. They spent a few days just watching tv in a trailer they had it made in the shade. We are building tracks and fixing yards in the Bronx they put us to work

Then you are talking to people that weren't there or have no idea how to count if you go to Westchester yard and see the stretch we cleared you count the ties from the tracks next to it and do your own math anyhow good luck, starting tunnels tonight and yeah taking that cdl test next Thursday Oh just realized you said 38th street yard your in Brooklyn yeah they don't do sh@t there. They spent a few days just watching tv in a trailer they had it made in the shade. We are building tracks and fixing yards in the Bronx they put us to work

very true lol. Everyone was dying to get some experience in but we spent a lot of the day waiting for work. When it eventually came we didn't do much at all.

Anyone know the number they use to contact you for the physical?

Is it a 212 or 718 number? I took the drug test on sept 28th and Im currently waiting for the call and dont want to miss it.

718? I thought it was one of the phone numbers from their HR Department - (347) 643 8229, 8230, 8231 or 8232.

First, I would like to say thanks to all that posted in this thread, I've been lurking for awhile and decided to become a member because of you guys (bravo). Can anyone explain why getting a CDL might be lucrative as a track worker? What jobs are available for people coming in with CDL's? Also if one were to lose the CDL priveledge will you be fired, or just demoted back to regular track worker?