Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process

TheBigLD
Message added by +Young+

Last know called # (322x)

The list for the next open-competitive track worker examination, Exam #8600, has been published.

Please see the Track Worker Exam #8600 topic for more information.

true but the percentage of people who don't make it after starting class is pretty low I'm sure. I was just saying in general that's how it is with government jobs (not specifically MTA). In general if you Get a letter and pass your drug test for a government agency then you typically get the job. Its very different from the hiring process in the corporate world. Anyone who has experienced both can't deny that.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exercise and eating right should be a lifestyle for us folks if not do it this week if you are going down for medical. If you have high blood pressure that seems to affect a lot of people and puts them on medical hold then here are some things to help. Start eating oats with cinnamon and use it in a tea it helps lower blood pressure also hibiscus tea will help lower so mix the two for extra help and if you drink alcohol that raises blood pressure so nix it this week get plenty of cardio in to lower it as well. This is a great job and you don't wanna blow it for some dumb reason such as laziness. Get your papers in order fines paid and ID's ready it's go time!

just got my letter for pre-interview in the mail. have to report for drug testing oct 2nd. Does anyone think they are gearing up for another class or would this likely be for jan/feb class. list number between 57*-59*

From keeping a close eye on this topic, my educated guess (nothing official) is that it would be for January/February. Some folks don't pass the drug test, others change their minds, etc.

bkborn. Keep an eye on the message board. If they start sending letters to people in the 670 range then I would assume they are looking for a class after the Oct 5th class. Track school is 6 weeks so if they scheduled a class right after the Oct 5th class it would be in mid December or mid january. They usually take a little time in between class. So I would say january sometime. They need people for the winter months. Also, the reason the 670 number is of significance is because they have bee pulling 100+ people to fill a 35 person class. The current class is close to 60 people. Last hired was 272, so if they kept the trend up they would pull up to number 572 or more to fill the current class. However, I think anyone going in for the first "interview" this week will not make the current class because they call you back about a week later to come in for your 2nd interview. The next class will be in progress a week from now. So I would assume that anyone coming in this week won't make the current class but will be in very soon. Might be your christmas gift.

I just got a return call from Charlie Moran from HR. I called him yesterday and inquired as to why I hadn't recieved a call yet. He told me to expect a letter in the mail. That's the worst news I could have gotten. It seems that my past transit record has kept me out of consideration. Good luck to the rest of you. I'll probably post one last time when I get the letter.

wow. Sorry to hear that British. I can't imagine how you feel. I know how I would feel considering how much I need this and how long it took. Hearing that would be like getting punched in the gut. Don't give up man. Fight until you get some results. Go up there and make some noise if you have to. I'm sure there is someone who would listen and point you in the right direction. When you contact people by phone its easy for them to brush you off. Too many of them just brush people off. Go to livingston, speak to as many people as you can and get in the Oct 5th class. If it were me I would be going there right now. I suggest you get off your ass soldier and get there before thursday. Multiple times if you have to.

Okay here we go got to Livingston at 6:15 as always waited til they opened at 7 went up got called immediately. You need your ID'S don't forget or you gotta go back. You go back behind the notorious "blue wall" and wait for them to call you here you will fill out a questionnaire on the computer. Before I was even finished they called me in for medical. Medical in no particular order just the way mine went. Pee in a cup they check blood sugar and a bunch of other stuff, then checked heart rate and blood pressure in a different room then did an ECG then did my hearing just listen for beep hit button when you hear it then breath test blew into a tube kinda tricky you will see what I mean when you get there then I did t vision test looked at shapes numbers in colors and so on. Ready to see doctor asks some questions check your heart makes sure you can squat bend touch your toes rotate your head no neck problems. By the way clean up nice you don't wanna be that guy that stinks and is dirty some where nasty any way now you o back up front where it all began they call you in you talk to a supervisor they look at paper work you get a few packets/books of info they swear you in you go take a pic get finger printed then my friends you come and see me and the others that passed on Monday 130 Livingston right down the road and Tuesday then Wednesday out by Colny island

Okay here we go got to Livingston at 6:15 as always waited til they opened at 7 went up got called immediately. You need your ID'S don't forget or you gotta go back. You go back behind the notorious "blue wall" and wait for them to call you here you will fill out a questionnaire on the computer. Before I was even finished they called me in for medical. Medical in no particular order just the way mine went. Pee in a cup they check blood sugar and a bunch of other stuff, then checked heart rate and blood pressure in a different room then did an ECG then did my hearing just listen for beep hit button when you hear it then breath test blew into a tube kinda tricky you will see what I mean when you get there then I did t vision test looked at shapes numbers in colors and so on. Ready to see doctor asks some questions check your heart makes sure you can squat bend touch your toes rotate your head no neck problems. By the way clean up nice you don't wanna be that guy that stinks and is dirty some where nasty any way now you o back up front where it all began they call you in you talk to a supervisor they look at paper work you get a few packets/books of info they swear you in you go take a pic get finger printed then my friends you come and see me and the others that passed on Monday 130 Livingston right down the road and Tuesday then Wednesday out by Colny island

Thank you for the important information!!

Thanks UPO1, but I wouldn't even know how to get past security without paperwork. Telling them that I want to speak to someone from HR sounds like something they would turn me away for. I might come across as some disgruntled person. I thought about just walking in tomorrow and pretending I don't know what's going on and say I'm there for the medical, but that can easily backfire. I'll go there tomorrow, and try to speak to someone about something. Don't know what my approach will be though. And yes, it does feel like a punch in the gut.

If they are turning me down for my past record, they should have done that in February. I passed up my plan b and c. Now I'm really in a bad place.

Does anyone member what the 21 page booklet contains?? I didn't receive one at the pre interview.

It includes a bunch of rules on filling out the packets, rules and information for city employees and the actual packet goes more in depth on your work, school history, criminal background and where you

lived. You should call them and ask if you can come in to get one because on the packet it says If its not filled out when they call you back in you won't be able to continue processing.

Not positive but I recall someone saying there were two different training yards one in Brooklyn and one in the Bronx if this is true do you get to pick the yard and when because I was told to report to 130 Livingston next mom and tues then wed down by colony island anyone know where Bronx yard is located and when you get to pick

I just got a return call from Charlie Moran from HR. I called him yesterday and inquired as to why I hadn't recieved a call yet. He told me to expect a letter in the mail. That's the worst news I could have gotten. It seems that my past transit record has kept me out of consideration. Good luck to the rest of you. I'll probably post one last time when I get the letter.

Before you go down there. Find out about what the letter is saying. Idk if you feel like sharing but did you resign from TA or was fired? If push comes to shove and u feel like u should have a fair shot get the union involved. Although your not technically an employee they might be able to help or get you a clear answer on whats TA issue with you.

Good luck, but dont give up they strung you along for so many years. You deserve an explanation

Also to everyone in this class, please dont do like all the guys in the previous classes, once u get the job you forget about those still waiting in line here on this forum. I been in the system for almost 4 months now for a totally different position, but i still give what ever info. I can ( when i can) to those that are waiting. Remember how u felt while waiting and how the info. From this forum helped..

Good luck to those that have been sworn in and to those that are still waiting to get called!

good advice BK the advice to british and everyone else. As for going there unannounced british, I've done it 3 times before getting my letter. I just showed my ID to security and told them I'm on the list and was there to speak to someone at the desk. They never really asked about what. Maybe only once and I told them I needed to make sure I wasn't skipped on the list because of some confusion with DCAS. When I called DCAS the line was saying I was no longer on file so I just wanted to make sure transit still had me on the list. That was the only time they ever asked. Other than that they just let me walk in as if I had an appointmet when I showed my ID.

Edited by UPO 1

I resigned from my previous transit position in lieu of being fired for one of the most egregious infractions in the eyes if the MTA. That's falsification of official documents. I did my job, but I lied about what time I did it. My transit pass gave me away, as my swipes were, of course, recorded and didn't match my written documents. I resigned just for this job, as I knew I would be asked whether I was ever fired from this or any civil agency and I didn't want my answer to be "yes." A year or so later, when I attempted to recover my pension investments, I was denied because according to transit, I was still on their payroll with a status of 'suspended.' Since I still get literature in the mail from the TWU Local 100, I'm assuming my status is still the same. I've already made contact with a former union rep who redirected me to the main union hall and I'm currently awaiting a return call from them. I have not yet received that letter from transit, but I know what to expect nor do I wish to wait for it to arrive as the next class start date is almost upon us. I've already managed to set up two interviews with other companies since I talked to Moran at HR. But I could've been doing other things since their first contact with me in February. And these jobs I'm applying for are nothing as secure as that track worker gig and the pay is nothing I can send my kid to college with.

1 rule of most government agencies british is that you can leave for whatever reason you want. As long as you don't take your pension money you will remain on the rolls for at least a year. Which means you can be reinstated without going through the process as a new hire. What ever you do don't take that pension money. You will remain on the rolls and could get back in. The letter may refer to that. Many people new to government jobs don't know this. If you worked for the government in the 90s you were made aware of stuff like this. Even people who have worked for some agencies for years don't know this. Its something that people don't really talk about. People don't share info like they used to. Its every man for himself these days (sad). Anyway, you can leave for another job at a different agency, hate the new job, then leave it and come back as if you never left your original position. I won't say transit does this but the fact that they kept you on the rolls as suspended would suggest they do. I know that every government agency I worked for did this because i've used it to switch jobs without the risk of losing my job more than once. Just don't cash out your pension money.

Edited by UPO 1

You are correct UPO 1.

When I started in '92 we were informed against taking our pensions if we left in the event we wanted to and were taken back.

Many guys, both hourly and supervision, have done just that. Left for whatever the reason and within a year returned paying extra to make up the difference if they didn't want to stay longer instead.

1 rule of most government agencies british is that you can leave for whatever reason you want. As long as you don't take your pension money you will remain on the rolls for at least a year. Which means you can be reinstated without going through the process as a new hire. What ever you do don't take that pension money. You will remain on the rolls and could get back in. The letter may refer to that. Many people new to government jobs don't know this. If you worked for the government in the 90s you were made aware of stuff like this. Even people who have worked for some agencies for years don't know this. Its something that people don't really talk about. People don't share info like they used to. Its every man for himself these days (sad). Anyway, you can leave for another job at a different agency, hate the new job, then leave it and come back as if you never left your original position. I won't say transit does this but the fact that they kept you on the rolls as suspended would suggest they do. I know that every government agency I worked for did this because i've used it to switch jobs without the risk of losing my job more than once. Just don't cash out your pension money.

the DCAS version is PSB 200, rights to fromer job when moving to a new job; its for permenant appointments