Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process

TheBigLD
Message added by +Young+

Last know called # (322x)

The list for the next open-competitive track worker examination, Exam #8600, has been published.

Please see the Track Worker Exam #8600 topic for more information.

I did take care of my medical hold. I went down there today with all my paperwork, straightened out my medical hold, and was taken off medical hold. I was then told by a woman in the back who does final processing, after she called Ruby Robinson on the phone, that there was no seats open for the class. I then had to fill out a piece of paper to "re-establish my name to the list", because apparently at that point you have finished the hiring process and are no longer on the list; therefore you need to add yourself for another certification. So unfortunately no, there is no chance of me being in the next class. They also did not take my 21 page booklet. And with no disrespect what so ever, can someone please explain to me what is so good about being in a class with higher seniority number? The way I see it, everyone in the class after next will have lower seniority numbers than EVERYONE from this upcoming September class; so what's the benefit of me having the highest seniority number in my class? (or 2nd highest maybe, Thomas will likely be first)

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And with no disrespect what so ever, can someone please explain to me what is so good about being in a class with higher seniority number? The way I see it, everyone in the class after next will have lower seniority numbers than EVERYONE from this upcoming September class; so what's the benefit of me having the highest seniority number in my class? (or 2nd highest maybe, Thomas will likely be first)

Yes, everyone in the Sept class will have a lower seniority # than you and always will. The benefit of being first or second in your class is when you pick in school. There might be one job where the location, tour and rdo's all work well for you. Being first you can pick that job and not worry about someone else taking it. You get first pick of all the jobs available for your class. It makes the

pick a little less stressful

I see; but in all honesty, I'd much rather have a more stressful pick in the September class than a less stressful pick in the next class which will be god knows when lmao. And naw, sorry Thomas, no word. The woman called Ruby a 2nd time to ask that very question and she did not have an answer. I have emailed her twice as well asking some general questions, no reply as of yet.

I have a question guys. I know the drug screen expires after I think 90 days right? So ill undoubtedly have to do that again when and if I get called next. However, does the medical portion expire? And if so after how long? If I'm called again in 4-5 months lets say January, will I have to do the entire medical again too?

I have a question guys. I know the drug screen expires after I think 90 days right? So ill undoubtedly have to do that again when and if I get called next. However, does the medical portion expire? And if so after how long? If I'm called again in 4-5 months lets say January, will I have to do the entire medical again too?

The drug test expires after thirty (30) days. As far as the medical, if I recall correctly, that expires after 90 calendar days, or three months.

Therefore, depending on when you get called again depends on what has to re-done. More than likely it will be at least a drug test.

i called the dcas system few days ago and they told me i had to get restoration back onto the list they said i failed to report for  medical (frm)  december of 2014 i never received anything and on top of that i got a 95 my list number is 30xx's im confused 

list #83x. Does anyone have a better number for info other then 347-643-8231 or 8230? I went for the drug test on the 15th of July & saw on the thread that someone with list #82x was called back for the medical & I'm concerned that maybe I missed their notification to come in. I called the numbers provided but after trying for two hours I got a lady that literally told me that she couldn't give me info cause she was backed up on calls & had to continue taking calls & that I should try back another time. any info would be great thanks in advance.

Try 347-643-8198 Mrs Robinson direct line

list #83x. Does anyone have a better number for info other then 347-643-8231 or 8230? I went for the drug test on the 15th of July & saw on the thread that someone with list #82x was called back for the medical & I'm concerned that maybe I missed their notification to come in. I called the numbers provided but after trying for two hours I got a lady that literally told me that she couldn't give me info cause she was backed up on calls & had to continue taking calls & that I should try back another time. any info would be great thanks in advance.

Sadly Chris, no. The shitty reality is that even though ppl make the list, they dont all get the opportunity to get called and hired. The ones that DO, should consider themselves quite lucky

Unfortunately, this is the case not only with the current Track Worker list, but with other civil service lists as well. I'm on several civil service lists, including Clerical Aide. Out of 5,720 people for that position, I'm in the 540's, and based on how slow they're hiring for that, I might not even get called for that! Similarly, for this (Track Worker) list, with a list # in the 2800's, in which I got a 95% score on the 40 question exam, I will probably have to wait another four [4] years to get called, providing they extend it for two [2] more years.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan
additional info...

Sigh, unbelievable. I've heard people talk on this forum about finding out they are going in to "so and so" class a week before it starts. But this class that I was supposed to be in, gets filled over a month before it starts. And this was the 5th class this year right? Previous years have had 4 classes per year. This will almost surely be the last class of this year. And who knows how far in to 2017 for the next class. But oh yeah, I really look forward to being the most senior person in the next class......

The good thing about being a senior person is that once you finish school and get to pick for jobs, you don't need to worry about jobs being available because you will be first.

Also when you get on the job you will be the most senior person in the gang (granted they let your gang consists of people from your class) then you will be the first person chosen for overtime if their are openings for people from your track gang. 

Like I said that changes however if you end up in a more senior gang then you are at the bottom of the ladder in terms of choice.

• 2 weeks later...

hey all, I scored a 97.5 on the exam and my list number is 17**. could anyone give me a timetable for my potential call for classes and all that jazz. also what is the most recent list number being called in to start the process ? thanks fellas

Edited by +Young+

hey all, I scored a 97.5 on the exam and my list number is 17**. could anyone give me a timetable for my potential call for classes and all that jazz. also what is the most recent list number being called in to start the process ? thanks fellas

First of all, please hide the last digit or two digits of your list number to hide your identity. Myself and others have access to the physical list, and if we look up your exact list number, not only will we have your name, but in today's technological age, we can also obtain your age, address, etc.

Second, to answer your question, if you look at the chart at the top of this page, according to this thread, they are up to the 820s for medical. (Ignore the 1,896 list # - that was from DCAS a long while ago).

As far as a potential timetable - The list was made public on 10/22/2014 and they are currently up to the 820s. IF they have no more classes this year, then we can easily say that they call approximately 410 people a year (from a mathematical prospective). If that's the case then this is how many people they will hire from the list, from a mathematical prospective:

410 people - 1st year (between 10/22/14 & 10/22/15)

820 people - 2nd year (between 10/22/15 & 10/22/16)

1230 people - 3rd year (between 10/22/16 & 10/22/17)

1640 people - 4th year (between 10/22/17 & 10/22/18)

**2050 people - 5th year (between 10/22/18 & 10/22/19)**

**2460 people - 6th year (between 10/22/19 & 10/22/20)**

** = IF the list gets extended for 6 years, which will probably happen since there are over 12,000 names on it.

What's interesting to note is that according to the MTA website, there is a promotional exam for Track Workers with the application period taking place in October of 2016. For curiosity sake, in case anyone wants more information on this promotional exam (in which they might call more people from the 3600 list), just click here.

What's interesting to note is that according to the MTA website, there is a promotional exam for Track Workers with the application period taking place in October of 2016. For curiosity sake, in case anyone wants more information on this promotional exam (in which they might call more people from the 3600 list), just click here.

That's not a promotion to Trackworker, it's the promotional test for Track Foreman MS1.

MS = Maintenance Supervisor.

For the training, do we have to report to P.S 248 for the entire 6 weeks?

Dave it's 2 days of orientation, roughly 2 weeks in the classroom (PS248), and 4 weeks of yard posting. For the yard posting you'll either go to East 180th in the Bronx, or either 38th st yard, or Coney Island Yard in Brooklyn. But during those 4 weeks, you'll also be going for your fire evacuation training, respirator fitting, and a whole day of getting taught crane signals. You'll also get your flagging posting assignments while in school, but you won't start the actual flagging training until the 6 weeks of initial training is finished.

With us they split the class into 3 groups. Flagging school is 9 days (Mon-Fri), and each group goes separately. Depending on which group you're placed in, you could either start flagging school a week after you finish training, or you'll have to wait a few weeks if your in one of the other 2 groups. So technically it's about 8 weeks of training, 6 weeks of classroom and yard posting, 2 weeks of flagging school. Good luck you should do fine. If you have Dundas and Spezzano for your instructors at PS 248, you guys will be good to go.

Edited by SteveNYC

Dave it's 2 days of orientation, roughly 2 weeks in the classroom (PS248), and 4 weeks of yard posting. For the yard posting you'll either go to East 180th in the Bronx, or either 38th st yard, or Coney Island Yard in Brooklyn. But during those 4 weeks, you'll also be going for your fire evacuation training, respirator fitting, and a whole day of getting taught crane signals. You'll also get your flagging posting assignments while in school, but you won't start the actual flagging training until the 6 weeks of initial training is finished.

With us they split the class into 3 groups. Flagging school is 9 days (Mon-Fri), and each group goes separately. Depending on which group you're placed in, you could either start flagging school a week after you finish training, or you'll have to wait a few weeks if your in one of the other 2 groups. So technically it's about 8 weeks of training, 6 weeks of classroom and yard posting, 2 weeks of flagging school. Good luck you should do fine. If you have Dundas and Spezzano for your instructors at PS 248, you guys will be good to go.

Thanks Steve, much appreciated. I have to check the paperwork they gave me again but I'm pretty sure it's not Dundas and Spezzano.

It's Dundas, just checked