Rally to restore all service on the Bx26 & Bx28 in Co-op City

mark1447

"BRING BACK OUR BUS SERVICE!

That’s the rallying cry from Co-op City, where angry straphangers, among city riders facing yet another fare hike, rallied last week.

They’ve seen service cut back on two local bus lines, and one line chopped entirely, forcing many subway riders there into a two-fare zone.

Electeds, rider groups, unions and local groups were all represented at a rally on a greenway at the sprawling 60,000-resident housing complex on Wednesday, July 5.

Speakers called for restoring service cuts on the Bx26 and Bx28 in 2010 that created longer wait times, and eliminated service in Sections 1 to 4, forcing them to pay two fares to reach the nearest subway.

“It is very unjust for members of our community to pay not $5 to go to work, but $10, and in some cases $15 dollars a day, for the past two years,” said Section 5 resident Sebastian Ulanga, co-chair of the Co-op City Coalition Against MTA Cuts. “When the restorations come to the Bronx, Co-op City should be one of the communities on top of the list.”

There was also a call for restoration of the QBx1 and improvements for Access-A-Ride before a fare hike planned March 2013.

“It is past time for the MTA to restore these routes for the residents of the large part of Co-op City,” Engel said in a statement. “They deserve better than extra bus rides and transfer waiting time, especially in bad weather, meaning the heat and rain of summer as well as the cold of winter.”

The community has collected 5,000 signatures since the cuts to the Bx26 and Bx28 first occurred in 2010."

Read the rest: http://www.bxtimes.c...2_08_02_bx.html

31_bus1_2012_08_02_bx_z.jpg

Why did this take so long if they were so pissed off? Also, what have elected officials been doing to find the monies necessary to restore these services? I would also disagree with the idea of communities of color being targeted. If anything the attitude IMO has been that the more affluent areas can afford to lose their service.

Now what I will say is that those who have argued that the MTA has no agenda if you may is sadly mistaken. The folks elected on the board most certainly have their own agendas whether they realize it or not, but everyone has an agenda. For years many in the more suburban and affluent communities have argued that the MTA in fact shunned them while the more urban communities have seen fewer cuts to their services, so I think it is interesting that this argument is being brought up in Co-op City.

Restore the QBx1 LOL. That had to be a joke. The Q50 and Bx23 do fine all by themselves. Better than the old QBx1

No it isn't a joke... They want all of their local buses back because they were promised superb service, even though some communities still don't have even one local bus running in it. *Sarcasm* Now I'm not saying that they shouldn't get their service, but come on now... I think they're being a bit greedy. I mean I pushed for restoration of buses in some areas, but those areas had mainly just one local bus running through them. When communities have multiple local buses running in their community that were cut, I think they should be examining how to make concessions, especially if the buses aren't as efficient as they can be which some have argued. How does inefficient buses help the community?

No it isn't a joke... They want all of their local buses back because they were promised superb service, even though some communities still don't have even one local bus running in it. *Sarcasm* Now I'm not saying that they shouldn't get their service, but come on now... I think they're being a bit greedy. I mean I pushed for restoration of buses in some areas, but those areas had mainly just one local bus running through them. When communities have multiple local buses running in their community that were cut, I think they should be examining how to make concessions, especially if the buses aren't as efficient as they can be which some have argued. How does inefficient buses help the community?

VG8 honestly it sounds like you dont know COOP transit needs that much? So why comment on the Q50/BX23 (aka former QBX1) when you probably never been on it? Someone like Princelex who lives in that area would be a better person to make a honest comment on the rally and area judgements on whether the QBX1 should return?. Not to mention he a subway conductor!

IMO The QBX1 split seemed like a good idea since issues with the Whitestone Bridge(accident) could cause delays back in COOP/Pelham Bay area. Sounds like the ()' /> needs to increase headways on the existing BX23 and QBX1.

I do agree with VG8 why on many communities citywide 2-plus years after the Doomsday Cuts now only speaking out? Again most of them thought they would be temporary and that Albany would bail out the agency. Shows you dont take things for granted.

VG8 honestly it sounds like you dont know COOP transit needs that much? So why comment on the Q50/BX23 (aka former QBX1) when you probably never been on it? Someone like Princelex who lives in that area would be a better person to make a honest comment on the rally and area judgements on whether the QBX1 should return?. Not to mention he a subway conductor!

FYI. IMO The QBX1 split seemed like a good idea since issues with the Whitestone Bridge(accident) could cause delays back in COOP/Pelham Bay area. Sounds like the ()' /> needs to increase headways on the existing BX23 and QBX1.

I do agree with VG8 why communities 2 years after the Doomsday Cuts now only speaking out? Again most of them thought they would be temporary and that Albany would bail out the agency. Shows you dont take things for granted.

I'm not talking about the QBX1... I'm talking about in general and what the article states. ALL communities must give up something OR make some sort of concession in these fiscal times and it seems to me as if they don't want to give up anything or make any concessions in the short term. I could see them demanding everything back in the long term once the economy improves but they want all of their services back now. As I said before some communities still don't have ONE local bus running through it, let alone multiple ones and here they are wanting everything back. I'm sorry but if other communities are expected to make concessions, then so should they. It's interesting how when one community has one measley local bus and they don't want their overnight service cut, they're told that they can take car service because they can afford it, but another community wants MULTIPLE buses back and they should get everything back? I don't see how that is fair at all and I'm not the only one who feels this way. Here is what someone else had to say that lives near Co-op City in Baychester:

"DeShawn Stevenson from Baychester says:

I think ONLY the Bx26 should go around the loops in Co-op City. Why have the Bx28 go around Co-op City when the Bx38 does the job just fine? Co-op City has so many routes looping around it and honestly, it's like riding a tour bus around the neighborhood. There's many places that have it off much worse than Co-op City. The Bx30 also, is proven to be slower than walking from Baychester Avenue (5) train station to Bay Plaza. Do they realize how much time it takes to get around Co-op City when they already have their own buses going around the loops? What about the commuters and shoppers visiting Bay Plaza?"

Restore the QBx1 LOL. That had to be a joke. The Q50 and Bx23 do fine all by themselves. Better than the old QBx1

But isn't the current Bx23/Q50 setup do the same as a QBx1

Why are you making this topic go OFF-topic by bringing up the QBx1?

VG8 that a good point. The COOP residents should *compromise* for now in what basic cuts should be restored. Then in a year or two hopefully they along rest of the city get back their full services.

On issue of people of color/poorer new yorkers vs affluent/upper middle class on the service cuts, I think the MTA planned the '10 Doomsday Cuts mostly on these factors. 1)the neighborhoods at the start had spoke the loudest in June 2010. Some neighborhoods that was well respresnted at those hearing was usually spared. And secondly thestrength of political force of that neighborhoods reps. I know the X27/28 weekend cut and B4 occured with one of NYC most powerful members of the state legistlure in Mr. Golden. However Golden office was a key in retoring some of the cuts mainly the B4, B64 and X27.

Still await Princelex comments on the COOP rallies.

VG8 that a good point. The COOP residents should *compromise* for now in what basic cuts should be restored. Then in a year or two hopefully they along rest of the city get back their full services.

On issue of people of color/poorer new yorkers vs affluent/upper middle class on the service cuts, I think the MTA planned the '10 Doomsday Cuts mostly on these factors. 1)the neighborhoods at the start had spoke the loudest in June 2010. Some neighborhoods that was well respresnted at those hearing was usually spared. And secondly thestrength of political force of that neighborhoods reps. I know the X27/28 weekend cut and B4 occured with one of NYC most powerful members of the state legistlure in Mr. Golden. However Golden office was a key in retoring some of the cuts mainly the B4, B64 and X27.

Still await Princelex comments on the COOP rallies.

Well yes there is no question that Senator Golden's office was a key and it most certainly helps that he is a member of the MTA's Capital Review Board, but make no question about it. The districts that he represents were extremely vocal from the start in demanding their service back and as I've said before, I reached out to him originally over a year ago about working together to restore lost bus service in several areas of Southern Brooklyn. With that said however, concessions were indeed made, as we didn't get everything back in Southern Brooklyn and that is what should be done here in Co-op City. Even when I called for restorations for Southern Brooklyn and spoke at MTA hearings and meetings about Staten Island restorations, I made suggestions that in some cases could be cost neutral where possible and were practical in other cases. To ask for all services to be restored IMO is a bad way to go about it, regardless of the community.

The article states that residents also want the the QBx1 back...

And this is what happens when I skim through the main details of the Bx26 and Bx28 only :wacko:

Damn, didn't think my boy DeShawn would've commented in that article. I'm not sure whether to agree or disagree since I'm not in that area often but some sort of service has got to be restored around all them sections.

Though, I wonder what would restoring the old QBx1 route patter would accomplish. Perhaps its the many variations that they want back as there were those that went to sections 1-4, 1-5, 5-1 and a few trips that went to 5 only IIRC.

And this is what happens when I skim through the main details of the Bx26 and Bx28 only :wacko:

Damn, didn't think my boy DeShawn would've commented in that article. I'm not sure whether to agree or disagree since I'm not in that area often but some sort of service has got to be restored around all them sections.

Though, I wonder what would restoring the old QBx1 route patter would accomplish. Perhaps its the many variations that they want back as there were those that went to sections 1-4, 1-5, 5-1 and a few trips that went to 5 only IIRC.

Well I agree some service should be restored but not all at once. My question is what is the politicians in that area doing to find the monies necessary to restore services there? Some of the current service restorations were paid for by allowing the MTA to keep monies that they would normally have to give away. It is easy to cry for service restorations but the money doesn't magically appear.

After reading this article, I'm guessing it might be high time that the MTA would start investing some money to restore the Bx26 and Bx28 bus lines back to their original pre-June 2010 service, on other hand bringing back the QBx1 in service will never happen. Both the Bx23 and Q50LTD are fine the way they are, however they just need an extra increase in bus service, meaning that both buses will run every 10-12-15 minutes all day.

Why do Co-op riders want the buses looping through the neighborhood? The current setup is fine. The problem is that the MTA went and cut runs on these routes leading to longer wait times. I'm sure if headways were lowered than riders there would be happy.

My guess is that so residents in all sections get access to all of the corridors (i.e. Gun Hill, Allerton, Boston Rd, Pelham Bay, Pelham Pkwy, Flushing).

They’ve seen service cut back on two local bus lines, and one line chopped entirely, forcing many subway riders there into a two-fare zone.

Electeds, rider groups, unions and local groups were all represented at a rally on a greenway at the sprawling 60,000-resident housing complex on Wednesday, July 5.

Speakers called for restoring service cuts on the Bx26 and Bx28 in 2010 that created longer wait times, and eliminated service in Sections 1 to 4, forcing them to pay two fares to reach the nearest subway.

“It is very unjust for members of our community to pay not $5 to go to work, but $10, and in some cases $15 dollars a day, for the past two years,” said Section 5 resident Sebastian Ulanga, co-chair of the Co-op City Coalition Against MTA Cuts. “When the restorations come to the Bronx, Co-op City should be one of the communities on top of the list.”

While I do think some of the service should come back, I think they're blowing it up way too much. I mean, nobody's paying $15 a day to get to work and if they are, they need to get an Unlimited. Considering all portions of the neighborhood have some sort of direct link to the subway, I don't think anybody's forced to pay an extra fare.

The funny thing is that the guy who's protesting lives in Section 5, which is the section that benefitted the most from the new pattern.

Why did this take so long if they were so pissed off? Also, what have elected officials been doing to find the monies necessary to restore these services? I would also disagree with the idea of communities of color being targeted. If anything the attitude IMO has been that the more affluent areas can afford to lose their service.

Where did they mention anything about communities of color? Aside from that, I see some White people in the photo, don't you?

Now what I will say is that those who have argued that the MTA has no agenda if you may is sadly mistaken. The folks elected on the board most certainly have their own agendas whether they realize it or not, but everyone has an agenda. For years many in the more suburban and affluent communities have argued that the MTA in fact shunned them while the more urban communities have seen fewer cuts to their services, so I think it is interesting that this argument is being brought up in Co-op City.

Where did they mention anything about being targeted for being a community of color? I see White people in that photo, don't you? And I guess people of color can't be affluent, right? <_<

So there aren't rich urban communities? The UWS, UES, Greenwich Village, etc don't exist, right? <_<

I mean I pushed for restoration of buses in some areas, but those areas had mainly just one local bus running through them. When communities have multiple local buses running in their community that were cut, I think they should be examining how to make concessions, especially if the buses aren't as efficient as they can be which some have argued. How does inefficient buses help the community?

So complaining about the M104 when the M5/7 already bring you to Columbus Circle is only arguing for the one bus line you have, right? <_<

And those buses aren't inefficient. GTFO here.

Where did they mention anything about communities of color? Aside from that, I see some White people in the photo, don't you?

Apparently you're blind amongst other things that I'll exclude... Read the article again, this time slowly since you have a comprehension problem... Better yet, I'll post the quote for you:

"As a fare increase looms, Senator Ruth Hassell-Thompson said that communities of color and those most in need seem to the be hardest hit by MTA cuts - with further cuts on the way."

Co-op City is mainly black and Hispanic, so the statement made by the senator is accurate when including Co-op City as a community of color.

And I guess people of color can't be affluent, right? <_<

I wouldn't know since you're the one making that comment.

So there aren't rich urban communities? The UWS, UES, Greenwich Village, etc don't exist, right? <_<

I never said they're aren't.

So complaining about the M104 when the M5/7 already bring you to Columbus Circle is only arguing for the one bus line you have, right? <_<

Last time I checked the M5, M7 and M104 all go to completely different destinations. The M5 and the M7 do NOT serve East Midtown now do they?

And those buses aren't inefficient. GTFO here.

No you GTFO here... PITA.

Apparently you're blind amongst other things that I'll exclude... Read the article again, this time slowly since you have a comprehension problem... Better yet, I'll post the quote for you:

"As a fare increase looms, Senator Ruth Hassell-Thompson said that communities of color and those most in need seem to the be hardest hit by MTA cuts - with further cuts on the way."

Co-op City is mainly black and Hispanic. so the statement made by the senator is accurate when including Co-op City as a community of color.

It wasn't posted in the part of the article Mark quoted.

I wouldn't know since you're the one making that comment.

"I would also disagree with the idea of communities of color being targeted. If anything the attitude IMO has been that the more affluent areas can afford to lose their service."

'Nuff said.

I never said they're aren't.

If an area is poor(er), you're automatically more likely to consider it more urban. I posted a bunch of pics of those "urban" parts of Port Richmond, Arlington, and Mariners' Harbor and the houses are just as large, if not larger than Westerleigh, or other "suburban" areas.

Here, check out this thread to see pictures of these "urban" areas on the North Shore: http://www.nyctransi...beginners-pics/

You keep talking about how these Southern Brooklyn neighborhoods and other SI neighborhoods like Westerleigh & Castleton Corners are all suburban, and yet these North Shore ones are automatically "urban" when the physical structure is similar.

Last time I checked the M5, M7 and M104 all go to completely different destinations. The M5 and the M7 do NOT service East Midtown now do they?

You were talking about "Oh, I can't get to Columbus Circle from 45th & 5th". The last time I checked, you have the M5, M7, and the subway. You're not going around arguing for the one bus that can take you to your destination. You still have multiple options.

As for East Midtown, that has the M42, not to mention a ton of north-south routes.

No you GTFO here... PITA

Oh, really? Find me stats that show that the routes are inefficient. The Bx26 & Bx28 are more efficient than most SI routes, so there goes your whole argument about inefficiency.

Ok Ladies what did i say before about your feuds(VG8 and Checkmate)? :angry:

I swear, why can't people leave this crap alone. Have we ever cursed each other out in public? No, didn't think so. <_<

It wasn't posted in the part of the article Mark quoted.

Well gee, I wonder where I got that quote from?

'Nuff said.

You're right because there is nothing to say about it. No idea why you're even bringing it up.

Here, check out this thread to see pictures of these "urban" areas on the North Shore: http://www.nyctransi...beginners-pics/

You keep talking about how these Southern Brooklyn neighborhoods and other SI neighborhoods like Westerleigh & Castleton Corners are all suburban, and yet these North Shore ones are automatically "urban" when the physical structure is similar.

Some parts of Southern Brooklyn are considered to be more suburban than other parts of Brooklyn. Same thing with Staten Island. There is no need to keep bringing up these pictures and harping on an non-issue.

You were talking about "Oh, I can't get to Columbus Circle from 45th & 5th". The last time I checked, you have the M5, M7, and the subway. You're not going around arguing for the one bus that can take you to your destination. You still have multiple options. As for East Midtown, that has the M42, not to mention a ton of north-south routes.

Someone going to the East Side from Columbus Circle now has to take two buses. That's the point. I travel to various places not just 45th & 5th genius.

Oh, really? Find me stats that show that the routes are inefficient. The Bx26 & Bx28 are more efficient than most SI routes, so there goes your whole argument about inefficiency.

Co-op residents want all services restored including the QBx1. There is no need to have ALL local buses doing all of the loops in Co-op City, PERIOD.

I swear, why can't people leave this crap alone. Have we ever cursed each other out in public? No, didn't think so. <_<

They would leave it alone if you stopped nitpicking.

Well gee, I wonder where I got that quote from?

Was it in the part of the article Mark posted? Didn't think so. It was in the article, but not the part that was posted on here.

You're right because there is nothing to say about it. No idea why you're even bringing it up.

Nah, I just figured I'd throw it out there.....

Some parts of Southern Brooklyn are considered to be more suburban than other parts of Brooklyn. Same thing with Staten Island. There is no need to keep bringing up these pictures and harping on an non-issue.

My point is that the neighborhoods aren't any different structurally. I don't care how nice the houses are or how wealthy the people are or how low the crime is or anything else. The physical structure is just as urban. I mean, c'mon, Sheepshead Bay being suburban while Mariners' Harbor is urban. Just ... no ... <_<

Someone going to the East Side from Columbus Circle now has to take two buses. That's the point. I travel to various places not just 45th & 5th genius.

Yeah, but it's not like they have no service. If somebody wants to go from Times Square to the UES, they have to take two buses, and you don't hear them complaining.

Co-op residents want all services restored including the QBx1. There is no need to have ALL local buses doing all of the loops in Co-op City, PERIOD.

If the QBx1 were to return, that would mean the Bx23 & Q50 would be eliminated (because all they did was rename the Pelham Bay - Co-Op Shuttle as the Bx23, and the full Flushing - Co-Op route as the Q50). I think they straightened out the Flushing - Co-Op route a little bit, but that's about it.

They would leave it alone if you stopped nitpicking.

None of it's nitpicking. That's just you trying to get out of answering the questions.

Archived