How to improve the Queens Blvd Line On The Weekends?

alekr

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing is, can the 60th St tunnel handle the increase of QBL service from Broadway? It's a trade off with Astoria residents also needing frequent service coming from the 60th Street wrap tube.

Sure it can. It handles 3 lines on weekdays.

In the tunnel, there'd be 24 TPH, and there'd be 9 TPH moving through. (at the switches before 63rd) It could work. However, I think that the (R) may end up having to be split b/w 60th Street and 63rd Street because of that. A bottleneck at 57th could be avoided. The easiest way to fix that is to put switches beyond 63rd Street as well, but then you'd have the problem of giving 63rd Street too much service and clamping down the (F) as well...

Woah, woah, woah! Why are we splitting the (R) up? We've already established that it's best to keep things consistant. If I see an (R) train pull up, I'm going to expect it to travel via 60th Street, and I'll be in for an unpleasant surprise when it goes via 63rd Street. Aside from that, we're talking about weekend service. 8 minute headways is 7.5 TPH. Add that to 6 TPH on the (N) and you have 13.5 TPH. On weekdays, 60th Street has the (N), (Q), & (R) running at 6 TPH each, so that's 18 TPH right there, even more when it's the height of rush hour.

Sure it can. It handles 3 lines on weekdays.

Woah, woah, woah! Why are we splitting the (R) up? We've already established that it's best to keep things consistant. If I see an (R) train pull up, I'm going to expect it to travel via 60th Street, and I'll be in for an unpleasant surprise when it goes via 63rd Street. Aside from that, we're talking about weekend service. 8 minute headways is 7.5 TPH. Add that to 6 TPH on the (N) and you have 13.5 TPH. On weekdays, 60th Street has the (N), (Q), & (R) running at 6 TPH each, so that's 18 TPH right there, even more when it's the height of rush hour.

THANK

YOU.

I don't know where some people got the idea that the 60 St tube is at capacity on the weekends...

THANK

YOU.

I don't know where some people got the idea that the 60 St tube is at capacity on the weekends...

Since the (N)(Q)(R) come every ten minutes through most of the weekdays, that's not capacity nor more trains as long as the timetables are scheduled properly. Same for weekends with increased (R) service. Don't you agree?..

Since the (N)(Q)(R) come every ten minutes through most of the weekdays, that's not capacity nor more trains as long as the timetables are scheduled properly. Same for weekends with increased (R) service. Don't you agree?..

100%.

Why are we splitting the (R) up? If anything, I would go with increasing the weekend service. And as you said, people are going to expect the (R) to run via the tube. Great point.

How is there too much congestion on weekends in the tube anyway? If it can handle the (N)(Q)(R) weekdays, I am sure it can handle the (N) and extra (R) trains on the weekend.

Cheapest is make the (R) run every 8 minutes. No extended (G) or (M)'s. No (E) and no (F) local either.

Thank-you.

Wait, what are you trying to say? Is there room for an increased (R), or is there not? Your post was really convoluted.

Wait, what are you trying to say? Is there room for an increased (R), or is there not? Your post was really convoluted.

I said that as long as the timetables are scheduled properly with increased (R)'s on weekends and the (N)(Q)(R) all at 10 min headways on weekdays, then everything will work out just fine on the 60th tube. Agreed?

I think the R is suffering from the the lack of trains. The A kept pulling the trains off from Jamaica and if Jamaica had those trains plus extras I believe that the R would be mush faster. The G or M has to go to the Queens blvd because there sometimes can be a whole crowd of people waiting for the R.

I think the R is suffering from the the lack of trains. The A kept pulling the trains off from Jamaica and if Jamaica had those trains plus extras I believe that the R would be mush faster. The G or M has to go to the Queens blvd because there sometimes can be a whole crowd of people waiting for the R.

Nope. Jamaica yard has plenty of trains for increased weekend (R) service.

The R46s on the (A)(C) are from the (V). After the (V)(W) is eliminated Jamaica sent some R46s to Piktin Yard. During that time the (G) was all R46 untill May 2011 when 2 sets of R68s ran on the (G) and Jamaica sent some R160s to Coney Island. After the fleet move the (G) is 100% R68/A, (N)(Q) are 100% R160, and a few R46s run of the (F). As TheSubwayStation just said before Jamaica has over 1,000 cars to supply the need of the (E)(F)(R) and put more trains on those lines whenever needed.

Exactly, but why are people suggesting running the (R) through 63 St because of a supposed capacity constraint? I thought that the 60 St tube could handle increased weekend (R) service.

I never suggested that (R) trains be rerouted through the 63rd st tunnel. Someone else suggested it. I was simply acknowledging the idea. Nothing wrong with that.

Capacity on 60th? Of course it would be a concern if extra service was to utilize the tunnel on weekends. As for whether the tunnel can handle extra trains on the weekends? Of course it can! Where in my statements did I say it could'nt?

I never suggested that (R) trains be rerouted through the 63rd st tunnel. Someone else suggested it. I was simply acknowledging the idea. Nothing wrong with that.

Capacity on 60th? Of course it would be a concern if extra service was to utilize the tunnel on weekends. As for whether the tunnel can handle extra trains on the weekends? Of course it can! Where in my statements did I say it could'nt?

My original comment was not directed at you specifically...You were just the person who responded.

All creative suggestions , but I still think the ultimate answer is increased (R) service on QBL since it has been established already that weekend (M) service is out of the question for a number of reasons which I guess I'll take with a grain of salt.

I don't agree with (E) local service on the weekends as that is an inconvenience to Southeast Queens residents already lacking adequete ways into Manhattan quickly.

So yeah I'm sticking to my guns. Increased (R) service. Period. Because it solves two problems, one being providing extra local service on the IND QBL other being more local service needed on the 4th Avenue local on the Brooklyn BMT particularly on the weekends.

The thing is, can the 60th St tunnel handle the increase of QBL service from Broadway? It's a trade off with Astoria residents also needing frequent service coming from the 60th Street wrap tube.

They should be running the (R) more frequently on weekends. Via the 60th Street tunnel. They have the capacity. They have the cars. So why aren't they already doing it? Because the MTA doesn't have the money? Because they don't want to?

Which can turn out in happier travelers = happy to take the subway more often and can turn out in more travelers. Both of 'em create profit so part of the costs for running that extra crew is covered already in the profit it'll give 'em.

Which can turn out in happier travelers = happy to take the subway more often and can turn out in more travelers. Both of 'em create profit so part of the costs for running that extra crew is covered already in the profit it'll give 'em.

I don't think that ridership will increase very much from this...Especially, since most people don't even pay attention to schedules.

Archived