How to improve the Queens Blvd Line On The Weekends?

alekr

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can I mention that at nights, the (R) is the 95 St Shuttle, and the (D) is the West End Shuttle. The (E) needs to run Local. The (F) is fine to me. Both of them should be running Local, but the (F) is just running Express because it can. The only reason the (A) is Local in Manhattan at nights is because it runs Local in Fulton.

Ok, a few things:

The (F) does not run express because it "can", it is a long line to begin with.

The (A) runs local at night because the (C) does not run.

And as I've said before, the (E) has a lot of ridership, so making it run local is not the smartest idea.

My opinion - run the full (M) on weekends; you might get away with a 12-min headway here. In lieu of that, reinstate 8-min headways on the (R).

To answer a few questions:

1) The (E) runs local late nights to replace the (R).

2) The (F) likely runs via QB exp late nights because it is cheaper to do so.

They recently uprgaded Lex so they can fit more trains in there. It was done w/the countdown clocks.

It wasn't due to countdown clocks or ATS - the upgrades involved installation of station timers along the Lex Express (mostly b/w 125 and 42 in both directions). QB is slated for CBTC so that'll be the next wave of improvement there...

So the (A) runs local all the way from Far Rockaway-207th during late nights and not to mention its the longest route in the system.

That's late nights only, when limited ridership is in place for much of the (A) Line, the (F) gets riders along with the (E).

As it was said before, the most logical thing to do would be to make the (R) have 7-8 minute headways. The (E) isn't as long as the (F), but it's still a busy line even on weekends, so making it run local isn't a very good idea.

Or have every 3rd (R) turn at Whitehall St in the 7-8 minute headway scenario so not too many trains will be sent unneccessarily to Brooklyn and for $$$ savings measures.

Or have every 3rd (R) turn at Whitehall St in the 7-8 minute headway scenario so not too many trains will be sent unneccessarily to Brooklyn and for $$$ savings measures.

If you did that, here's what the headways would be like in Brooklyn:

(R) - 8 min - (R) - 8 min - (R) - 16 min - (R) - 8 min

That's not a very good strategy.

Do you guys think that a queens super express is still useful? I know that the bellmouths for the original 63rd street tunnel connection through sunnyside yard was closed out permanantly making such an expansion into sunnyside structurally impossible (as a result of the resulting construction of the connection to QBL at 36th). Just wondering.

Can people stop saying to make the (E) LOCAL on weekends? NO ! I am one of those frequent (E) riders! I have to take a 30-35 min bus ride on the Q85 to get home from Jamaica Center! Doing that, then going on a local train? A lot of (E) riders have the same lengthy bus commute that I do, you would cause a riot if you made the (E) local! I agree it should skip 75th Av and Van Wyck Blvd on the weekends IMO.. Please don't suggest something like that if you don't ride the route frequently please and thank you!

EDIT : More people take the (E) to Jamaica Center for buses than the (F) at 179th..I would know, I alternate between both! Jamaica Center buses are more direct and higher ridership routes but anyways the (R) with 7-8 minute headways on weekends is the best idea IMO

Can people stop saying to make the (E) LOCAL on weekends? NO ! I am one of those frequent (E) riders! I have to take a 30-35 min bus ride on the Q85 to get home from Jamaica Center! Doing that, then going on a local train? A lot of (E) riders have the same lengthy bus commute that I do, you would cause a riot if you made the (E) local! I agree it should skip 75th Av and Van Wyck Blvd on the weekends IMO.. Please don't suggest something like that if you don't ride the route frequently please and thank you!

Well that's what I been trying to tell these people do not make the (E) local!!!!! but no it has to be our way right <_<

Yea but where is it?

Non-existent.

But for the record the plans was for it to run from 63rd to sunnyside where it would connect to the LIRR ROW. From there it would merge into Queens Bvld at Union Turnpike where the flying junctions are that were originally built to connect to Jamaica Yard.

It would look something like this:

mtapfabq.jpg

If you did that, here's what the headways would be like in Brooklyn:

(R) - 8 min - (R) - 8 min - (R) - 16 min - (R) - 8 min

That's not a very good strategy.

Okay, send some (D)'s and (N)'s local, that would close the ginormous gap as you think it is when it's the real feel or real wait time today...

Non-existent.

But for the record the plans was for it to run from 63rd to sunnyside where it would connect to the LIRR ROW. From there it would merge into Queens Bvld at Union Turnpike where the flying junctions are that were originally built to connect to Jamaica Yard.

It would look something like this:

mtapfabq.jpg

Ummm it is not going to help if it is non-existent

I'm bringing this up as a hypothetical scenerio as far as how it could alleviate high levels of traffic. Yes I can clearly see it is non-existant. This is just background information as regards attemps by the MTA to solve the problem of a very heavily used line, that's all.

I'm sure it would be something good to point out as the QBL has an interesting history where the MTA was musing on what to do with the overcrowding problem back in the day. I think that's a valid side point.

You caught me before I edited. Let me repost what I finally posted to correct the font error at post #67 after your simuntaneous response:

Well moving on....

I'm bringing this up as a hypothetical scenerio as far as how it could alleviate high levels of traffic. Yes I can clearly see it is non-existant. This is just background information as regards attemps by the MTA to solve the problem of a very heavily used line, that's all.

I'm sure it would be something good to point out as the QBL has an interesting history where the MTA was musing on what to do with the overcrowding problem back in the day. I think that's a valid side point.

You caught me before I edited. Let me repost what I finally posted to correct the font error at post #67 after your simuntaneous response:

I gotcha.

A G to 71st not sure as the G train is not a Manhattan-centric line and it's clear everyone riding the QBL has Manhattan as their destination.

More E and F trains would be a plus but I doubt the Queens Bvld structure can handle it. It's maxed out as it is. We're talking about three lines here on the weekend.

If the (G) ran, at least the local riders would be able to ride it out to the nearest express station and give themselves more options.

On the weekends, capacity isn't an issue.

Regardless of transfers, the (E) still runs local Late Nights, and the stations added is only 10 that won't effect much at most so why not Weekends?

Yeah, it's only 10, right? If it takes a minute per station, that's 10 extra minutes for everybody on the train.

How about this: We install the same system that was installed on the Lex line so (E) and (F) trains can be 16 TPH each, instead of 14. Those extra four trains could really help...

Capacity isn't an issue on the weekends. I think the (E) & (F) still run every 10 minutes each (6 TPH), just like the other lines.

In any case, I think the best solution is to try and improve reliability on the (R). In the event of a delay, I think an (E) should be sent local just so the riders don't have to deal with a huge gap in service, but it definitely shouldn't be a regular service pattern.

In any case, I think the best solution is to try and improve reliability on the (R)..

I totally agree. They need to do something about increased R service on the weekends, that should solve the problem with overcrowding at some local stations such as Woodhaven Bvld and particularly Roosevelt Avenue express stop which looks like a Queens version of 59th Street on the CPW.

A G to 71st not sure as the G train is not a Manhattan-centric line and it's clear everyone riding the QBL has Manhattan as their destination.

I disagree. I am a regular rider on the QBL and a lot of people get on and off at major shopping areas such as 63rd Drive (Rego Center), Woodhaven Blvd (Queens Center), Grand Avenue (Queens Place), and Roosevelt Avenue.

I see what you're saying, but my context of my post was on my admittance of not being sure how the G would work if it goes to 71st. I was'nt clear, I should have worded that statement as a question. Sorry for not being clear on that post.

That being said that is a good point - Queens Center Mall is a definite popular destination making the Woodhaven Bvld station an important stop. However now that I think about it would'nt increased R service accomidate those passengers anyway? If we have alot of weekend traffic warranting a restoration of G service all the way to Forest Hills from Brooklyn then yeah I would agree. Both services combined could accomidate the needs of all Queens Bvld Local passengers.

But I'm not exactly clear on that being the case concerning weekend passengers and where they need to go. Since I live in the Bronx not Queens (yet) and constantly arguing with you guys over the D local vs express issue with the Grand Concourse and the CPW whatever.

Archived