Neighborhood Postal zip codes in NYC without their boro name

Shortline Bus

Since it was started in the Brownsville thread thought i create a new thread about this question. Why some neighborhood postal codes in NYC dont list their boro hall? For instance all of Queens, and pockets of the Bronx (Riverdale, City Island) and Brooklyn(Coney Island)? Should all NYC neighborhoods have just their borough name in their postal code?

Since it was started in the Brownsville thread thought i create a new thread about this question. Why some neighborhood postal codes in NYC dont list their boro hall? For instance all of Queens, and pockets of the Bronx (Riverdale, City Island) and Brooklyn(Coney Island)? Should all NYC neighborhoods have just their borough name in their postal code?

When I mail out stuff I just put the neighborhood down, makes it easier, I guess

Flushing, NY, 11355 instead of Queens, NY, 11355

Works both ways

I always use the Neighborhood that the Zip code is attached to. For example, when I lived in Astoria that was the 11105 zip but technically was considered "Long Island City" for postal purposes because the 111 prefix covers all of Western Queens. So I always wrote "Long Island City, NY 11105". See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ZIP_code_prefixes

Well I think this is only an issue for a few places. In Queens for example, you really are supposed to put your neighborhood, then NY and the zip code and it goes back to when Queens wasn't a part of NYC I believe. As you go past Queens and into Long Island, they list their neighborhood and then NY and the zip code and so Queens has continued this practice even though it is now part of NYC. There are only a few other communities outside of Queens that follow this, one being Riverdale and that has to do with the area always being independent and was officially named "Riverdale-On-Hudson" many years ago before being annexed to the rest of NYC. Residents have since dropped the "Riverdale-On-Hudson" part and just use "Riverdale, NY" plus the zip code. Before moving to Riverdale, I've always used the borough in which I lived in... Brooklyn, NY and Staten Island, NY... This is the norm in those boroughs. Here in Riverdale though, I always address everything as Riverdale, NY and never had a problem getting mail since this is the norm here. I believe some folks in City Island do this as well and this is a new thing for them, but that's about it. Then again City Island is basically it's own little island so it is understandable that they do it. Same thing with Riverdale. It isn't really connected to another other neighborhood being isolated by the Hudson River to the left, Van Cortlandt Park to the right and the Spuyten Duyvil Creek to the South and then the hills followed by Westchester to the North. The independence factor of Riverdale and its history being part of Westchester is why folks still do it here I believe because once you reach Westchester, folks start using their neighborhood and then NY with the zip code.

In Queens, I put Springfield Gardens, 11413 (I live in south springfield gardens, basically anything south of merrick blvd, whether laurelton, rosedale or springfield gardens is 11413 zip code). I was told that is how it is.. Also some neighborhoods share zip code that could be it too...

In Queens, I put Springfield Gardens, 11413 (I live in south springfield gardens, basically anything south of merrick blvd, whether laurelton, rosedale or springfield gardens is 11413 zip code). I was told that is how it is.. Also some neighborhoods share zip code that could be it too...

Yes, that's correct. In Queens, you put your neighborhood then NY and the zip code. Goes back to when Queens was part of Long Island. I have to send stuff to Kew Gardens and I put Kew Gardens, NY and the zip code.

Here in bumf**k Central NJ, there's a town called Manalapan, where the post office is shared between two towns, them and Englishtown (and parts of Marlboro and Old Bridge as well). The post office is located in Manalapan, but the Post Office calls it the Englishtown post office, and all addresses in zip code 07726 are considered Englishtown addresses by the post office despite what town they're really in. However, most non-commercial mail to people in Manalapan gets addressed to Manalapan, and it all gets delivered. In fact, recently I've noticed that commercial mail is getting addressed to Manalapan more, and even some of the address auto-correctors now list some Manalapan locations as having Manalapan addresses and not Englishtown.

Well I think this is only an issue for a few places. In Queens for example, you really are supposed to put your neighborhood, then NY and the zip code and it goes back to when Queens wasn't a part of NYC I believe. As you go past Queens and into Long Island, they list their neighborhood and then NY and the zip code and so Queens has continued this practice even though it is now part of NYC. There are only a few other communities outside of Queens that follow this, one being Riverdale and that has to do with the area always being independent and was officially named "Riverdale-On-Hudson" many years ago before being annexed to the rest of NYC. Residents have since dropped the "Riverdale-On-Hudson" part and just use "Riverdale, NY" plus the zip code. Before moving to Riverdale, I've always used the borough in which I lived in... Brooklyn, NY and Staten Island, NY... This is the norm in those boroughs. Here in Riverdale though, I always address everything as Riverdale, NY and never had a problem getting mail since this is the norm here. I believe some folks in City Island do this as well and this is a new thing for them, but that's about it. Then again City Island is basically it's own little island so it is understandable that they do it. Same thing with Riverdale. It isn't really connected to another other neighborhood being isolated by the Hudson River to the left, Van Cortlandt Park to the right and the Spuyten Duyvil Creek to the South and then the hills followed by Westchester to the North. The independence factor of Riverdale and its history being part of Westchester is why folks still do it here I believe because once you reach Westchester, folks start using their neighborhood and then NY with the zip code.

I've been to the post office on Riverdale Avenue, and the sign out front says "Riverdale Station - Bronx, NY 10463" or something like that. While it may be OK to address mail to Riverdale, you still gotta quit denying you're a part of the Bronx. Just because it's a nice neighborhood doesn't mean anything, your streets are patrolled by the NYPD, your trash is picked up by the Sanitation Department, and you're served by a Bronx community board.

Here in bumf**k Central NJ, there's a town called Manalapan, where the post office is shared between two towns, them and Englishtown (and parts of Marlboro and Old Bridge as well). The post office is located in Manalapan, but the Post Office calls it the Englishtown post office, and all addresses in zip code 07726 are considered Englishtown addresses by the post office despite what town they're really in. However, most non-commercial mail to people in Manalapan gets addressed to Manalapan, and it all gets delivered. In fact, recently I've noticed that commercial mail is getting addressed to Manalapan more, and even some of the address auto-correctors now list some Manalapan locations as having Manalapan addresses and not Englishtown.

I've been to the post office on Riverdale Avenue, and the sign out front says "Riverdale Station - Bronx, NY 10463" or something like that. While it may be OK to address mail to Riverdale, you still gotta quit denying you're a part of the Bronx. Just because it's a nice neighborhood doesn't mean anything, your streets are patrolled by the NYPD, your trash is picked up by the Sanitation Department, and you're served by a Bronx community board.

LOL... Just like the folks in Queens that use their neighborhood and NY, we do the same thing. As I said before it goes back to when Queens wasn't a part of NYC and when Riverdale wasn't a part of NYC and was called "Riverdale-On-Hudson". That's just how we do things in Riverdale.

LOL... Just like the folks in Queens that use their neighborhood and NY, we do the same thing. As I said before it goes back to when Queens wasn't a part of NYC and when Riverdale wasn't a part of NYC and was called "Riverdale-On-Hudson". That's just how we do things in Riverdale.

Back when it was part of the Town of Kingsbridge....

In any case, all that really matters is the zip code. You could put down "West Brighton, NY 10310" and the mail would still be delivered as long as the address & zip code is correct. The same for "Port Richmond, NY 10302" or "Mariners' Harbor, NY 10303".

As for Coney Island, I always thought it was just officially Brooklyn, NY. :huh: I think the zip code there is 11235 the same as Brighton Beach & Sheepshead Bay, and when I lived in Brooklyn, we would just put down Brooklyn, NY.

My zip code is shared by Jamaica & Springfield Gardens. I've never seen South Jamaica, NY 11434 which is interesting considering "Jamaica" (11434) is South Jamaica.

I see neighboring JFK gets listed under "New York, NY 11430" a lot of the time in addition to "Jamaica, NY 11430" & "John F. Kennedy Airport, NY 11430".

Back when it was part of the Town of Kingsbridge....

In any case, all that really matters is the zip code. You could put down "West Brighton, NY 10310" and the mail would still be delivered as long as the address & zip code is correct. The same for "Port Richmond, NY 10302" or "Mariners' Harbor, NY 10303".

As for Coney Island, I always thought it was just officially Brooklyn, NY. :huh: I think the zip code there is 11235 the same as Brighton Beach & Sheepshead Bay, and when I lived in Brooklyn, we would just put down Brooklyn, NY.

Checkmate it's actually 11224. 11235 covers Brighton & Sheepshead Bay

Archived