New Orleans under hurricane warning as Isaac threatens to hit Gulf Coast

Shortline Bus

[float=left]post-5097-0-68177100-1346074946_thumb.jpg[/float]Tropical Storm Isaac is on course to hammer New Orleans on the seventh anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, the calamitous storm that ravaged the city with doomsday devastation.

Weather forecasters were getting more and more worried as Isaac picked up speed Sunday through the Florida Keys and aimed its deadly eye on the Crescent City.

The National Weather Service is predicting Isaac will make landfall near New Orleans late Tuesday or early Wednesday.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-68177100-1346074946_thumb.jpg

I actually would like to see an actual Hurricane hit the city. I mean I'm against the damages it may cause, but seems interesting to catch and witness a storm like this. I'm not much of a Weather buff (slightly), but seems interesting at much.

As for this storm, it may just be SIMILAR to Hurricane Katrina, not disaster and speed wise, but the direction it I'll head. Likely it'll become a tropical depression as it goes more into land. Irene was different last year, because it stayed mostly on the coast.

To be honest with you, it wouldn't suprise me if we recieved a hurricane down here on the West Coast. Here weather fluctuates rapidly. We get highs into the upper 110's and lows into the lower 40's. This along with recent winds, rains, and even humidity are causes of a hurricane. Down here. we even recieved some mild tornados and such. I will say this though, an earthquake/tsunami is much more likely.

I actually would like to see an actual Hurricane hit the city. I mean I'm against the damages it may cause, but seems interesting to catch and witness a storm like this. I'm not much of a Weather buff (slightly), but seems interesting at much.

As for this storm, it may just be SIMILAR to Hurricane Katrina, not disaster and speed wise, but the direction it I'll head. Likely it'll become a tropical depression as it goes more into land. Irene was different last year, because it stayed mostly on the coast.

Mark1447 I guess you weren't alive for Hurricane Gloria in 1985 (neither was I). It hit LI as a Cat 2 and made another landfall in Connecticut as a Cat 1. Of course the 1938 hurricane was the most noteworthy hurricane to hit the region. The area also gets close calls from Cape Cod Hurricanes (which are actually more frequent).

Mark1447 I guess you weren't alive for Hurricane Gloria in 1985 (neither was I). It hit LI as a Cat 2 and made another landfall in Connecticut as a Cat 1. Of course the 1938 hurricane was the most noteworthy hurricane to hit the region. The area also gets close calls from Cape Cod Hurricanes (which are actually more frequent).

That was late summer in 1985 I was entering grade (7) so I do indeed remember Hurrican Gloria Q10 lol.

And seriously back to Issac. Yes Mark, the worst case is "Issac" will be at it's peak a Cat. 2 storm. And also Yes Mark according to NHS(National Hurricane Center)it will follow Katrina's path but much weaker than infamous histroric storm though.

Looks like Tampa/St. Petersburg may get slammed by this baby by likely Monday the 1st day of the Republican convention.

First places like Haiti and Cuba will get hit 1st. This morning(8/24/12) update link from the Weather Channel.

http://www.weather.c...s-on-isaac-6584

The 1938 was deemed to be the worst hurricane season for the east coast. The 1938 great hurricane called the something express, had the worst effect on Long Island. Much of long island was deformed, mostly noticeable on the eastern end, as half of the geography was defaced. However in 1954, that season hit New York hard. Two hurricanes only days apart each other. Long island and some of new York, and all areas around were in a state of emergency. It then took place number 1 as the worst hurricane season, in 2nd was the 1938 season

Where do they come up w/ these names for these hurricanes....

How come there's never a hurricane sanchez, or a hurricane shaquaysha, or hurricane chan or some'n.....

Racist namers.

How come there's never a hurricane sanchez, or a hurricane shaquaysha, or hurricane chan or some'n.....

They're already pre-named on a cycle. If a name isn't retired, it gets used again in a few years.

B35 this link should answer your question on hurricanes and in the pacific cyclones.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_hurricanes_get_their_names

Racist namers.

Hey lets blame the man. The White Man for all of world problems (joking!) lol including global warming. Guys relax video below is just a spoof video.

The 1938 was deemed to be the worst hurricane season for the east coast. The 1938 great hurricane called the something express, had the worst effect on Long Island. Much of long island was deformed, mostly noticeable on the eastern end, as half of the geography was defaced. However in 1954, that season hit New York hard. Two hurricanes only days apart each other. Long island and some of new York, and all areas around were in a state of emergency. It then took place number 1 as the worst hurricane season, in 2nd was the 1938 season

the 1938 hurricane was called the "Long Island Express"

I remember Gloria in 1985 and Belle in 1976. I was 3 in 1960 when Donna hit so i dont remember it.

Heres a page about NYC Hurricane History

http://www.nyc.gov/html/oem/html/hazards/storms_hurricanehistory.shtml

Joe

I remember Gloria in 1985 and Belle in 1976.

Joe

I remember Gloria in 1985 too when it hit NYC. I was very very young then, in pre-school. Yeah, that's it -- preschool.

Edit: Because I was about to write my whole life story about little rascal realizm from a topic about the weather.

Wow! Even for a storm we cant keep politics out of discussion :o . However this thread (minus the political comments not related to the storm)is being re-opened since it about to become a Cat 1 and possible Cat. 2 that could slam the Gulf Coast. That including New Orleans following similar path as Katrina.

Guys please keep it to chat related about the Hurricane only! Thanks

Archived