Oldest MTA New York City Transit Subway Cars Getting Their Final Makeover

Harry

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the R32s could make it to 50, then surely 15-20 more years of service for the R62/As would be a piece of cake. ;)

theyll be constantly patching them up and breaking down like the current 32s and 42s do, which have the lowest mean distance between failures of all the car types.Just because the MTA is forced to keep cars till 40-50 doesn't mean its an ideal situation. I believe that Subway trains should be replaced after 40 years. These 32s are approaching 50 years old and are only around because the MTA made an error with the 44s. Had the 44s not suffered from frame rusting the 32s would have most defenately been retired already.

are only around because the MTA made an error with the 44s. Had the 44s not suffered from frame rusting the 32s would have most defenately been retired already.

Which is why I'm very glad the R44s were purchased. ;)

Even if the cars should be replaced after 40 years, they're not even 30 years old yet. They can do at least 10 years, easily.

:lol:

theyll be constantly patching them up and breaking down like the current 32s and 42s do, which have the lowest mean distance between failures of all the car types.Just because the MTA is forced to keep cars till 40-50 doesn't mean its an ideal situation. I believe that Subway trains should be replaced after 40 years. These 32s are approaching 50 years old and are only around because the MTA made an error with the 44s. Had the 44s not suffered from frame rusting the 32s would have most defenately been retired already.

I'm going to go through your posts about the R32s and gave out my answers somewhat roughly so please excuse me for a moment...

IiIbluefoxie and Via Garibaldi 8, you guys really sound as if you're just regular random customers who ride public transit...

First off, do you guys even KNOW why the remaining 222 R32s and 48 R42s are still running in service? New York City Subway's R44s which died at 39th year of age back in 2010 due to their malfunctional and frame rusting issues should answer your questions...Don't sit back and say "Oh I don't give **** if the MTA is forced to keep cars past their regular ending lives". You guys know the damn drill....

You are just saying that just to justify your disliking of these older trains...You and VG8 DAMN well know why they're still here running past the average service life...

Remember how one of you said that the R32s are "junky cars" and the other said that they're so "dull, depressing, dark, and outdated" and need to go? These seem like regular complaints to me. Don't even deny that because you know that's true. Seriously, if you guys are just going to sit here and going off like no tommorrow about "OH BUT THE R32 SUCKS BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO RETIRE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wacko::wacko::wacko: :wacko:", then why in the mother of god do you care about posting on threads that have ANYTHING to do with things you don't like?.........

Trains are trains, deal with it.. Don't always expect a new subway car to make EVERYTHING popular rather than caring for what they are FIRST! I don't give a flying cent of why you hate the older trains...You know why they are still here. The R179s were originally an order of 420 75 footer subway cars enough to retire the R44s on the (A), RPS (S), and SIR but as the R44s' frame rusting rolled in, the (MTA) didn't have a choice nor they didn't HAVE enough money to save those cars. Plus, the R44s on the Staten Island Railway are ALSO running past the average service life span. The remaining R44s are now 41 years old and thus will end up retiring when both the R179s and R211s are delivered. Don't act as if you guys are always right and then run off your mouths about why they are so dull and dark.

I could hardly care about anything that's popular. Last time I checked, they're aren't any new trains running on the (1)(3)(7)<7>(A)(B)(C)(D)(G)(R) and the three (S)'s. Riders certainly do want to see new trains on their line too but do you even have enough money to fork up that and retire all old trains one by one that fast? NO.

I am so tired of you guys saying the same crap all over again. All I'm seeing from you two are just "Oh, had not been the R44's issues then those R32s would have already been put in the grave to rest in peace!!!" and so on and on. Come up with facts of why old things are forced to be kept instead of just rushing and saying that they're just old and whatever...

Stop acting as if you guys are just customers and not railfans like we are...Don't even kid yourselves neither...

I'm going to go through your posts about the R32s and gave out my answers somewhat roughly so please excuse me for a moment...

IiIbluefoxie and Via Garibaldi 8, you guys really sound as if you're just regular random customers who ride public transit...

First off, do you guys even KNOW why the remaining 222 R32s and 48 R42s are still running in service? New York City Subway's R44s which died at 39th year of age back in 2010 due to their malfunctional and frame rusting issues should answer your questions...Don't sit back and say "Oh I don't give **** if the MTA is forced to keep cars past their regular ending lives". You guys know the damn drill....

You are just saying that just to justify your disliking of these older trains...You and VG8 DAMN well know why they're still here running past the average service life...

Remember how one of you said that the R32s are "junky cars" and the other said that they're so "dull, depressing, dark, and outdated" and need to go? These seem like regular complaints to me. Don't even deny that because you know that's true. Seriously, if you guys are just going to sit here and going off like no tommorrow about "OH BUT THE R32 SUCKS BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO RETIRE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wacko::wacko::wacko: :wacko:", then why in the mother of god do you care about posting on threads that have ANYTHING to do with things you don't like?.........

Trains are trains, deal with it.. Don't always expect a new subway car to make EVERYTHING popular rather than caring for what they are FIRST! I don't give a flying cent of why you hate the older trains...You know why they are still here. The R179s were originally an order of 420 75 footer subway cars enough to retire the R44s on the (A), RPS (S), and SIR but as the R44s' frame rusting rolled in, the (MTA) didn't have a choice nor they didn't HAVE enough money to save those cars. Plus, the R44s on the Staten Island Railway are ALSO running past the average service life span. The remaining R44s are now 41 years old and thus will end up retiring when both the R179s and R211s are delivered. Don't act as if you guys are always right and then run off your mouths about why they are so dull and dark.

I could hardly care about anything that's popular. Last time I checked, they're aren't any new trains running on the (1)(3)(7)<7>(A)(B)(C)(D)(G)(R) and the three (S)'s. Riders certainly do want to see new trains on their line too but do you even have enough money to fork up that and retire all old trains one by one that fast? NO.

I am so tired of you guys saying the same crap all over again. All I'm seeing from you two are just "Oh, had not been the R44's issues then those R32s would have already been put in the grave to rest in peace!!!" and so on and on. Come up with facts of why old things are forced to be kept instead of just rushing and saying that they're just old and whatever...

Stop acting as if you guys are just customers and not railfans like we are...Don't even kid yourselves neither...

LOL... Well now somebody took exception I see... Sorry to break the news to you, but I've been riding around on those trains probably before you even existed. These trains have had more than their use. I even remember when they ran on the Brighton Line. I want these trains to go because the paying public deserves better. The (MTA) knows this which is why they're spending 25 million dollars upgrading them until the R179s come in. As an ordinary rider and a taxpayer (which you probably aren't yet), I would like a train with good air conditioning that is clean and has audible announcements, none of which the R32s have, so it is time for them to go. Simple as that. I don't care if it is an express bus, a MetroNorth train or what... When it is time to go it is time to go.

Sorry, but I have to agree with RollOverMyHead. Let me pick out a few points which I really disagree with:

I want these trains to go because the paying public deserves better.

Are you expecting luxury or something? The fare is only $2.25; you get your money's worth.

If you were talking about the junky, rickety and dirty trains of the 70s and 80s I would agree with you.

As an ordinary rider, I would like a train with good air conditioning that is clean and has audible announcements, none of which the R32s have, so it is time for them to go.

For the air-conditioning, you likely just stumbled upon a bad apple. For all their old age faults, the R32s have way better air-conditioning than the R46s. The announcements... none of the pre NTT trains have very good announcements either, will you complain about those?

Sorry, but I have to agree with RollOverMyHead. Let me pick out a few points which I really disagree with:

Are you expecting luxury or something? The fare is only $2.25; you get your money's worth.

If you were talking about the junky, rickety and dirty trains of the 70s and 80s I would agree with you.

For the air-conditioning, you likely just stumbled upon a bad apple. For all their old age faults, the R32s have way better air-conditioning than the R46s. The announcements... none of the pre NTT trains have very good announcements either, will you complain about those?

Yeah well the riding public outside of this forum agrees with me by a landslide. You guys are just fans. We're paying passengers that don't give a crap what type of train it is. We care about it being clean, having air conditioning and other modern amenities common with trains in the 21st century and that's why these cars are going bye bye. Can't go soon enough. Oh and not to mention how often these cars break down. The (C) gets the worse grade out of all of the lines and has for some time because of these cars so there goes that argument.

Yeah well the riding public outside of this forum agrees with me by a landslide. We care about it being clean, modern and having air conditioning and that's why these cars are going bye bye.

The R32s are no dirtier than the R46 cars. For trains that old, they look very good. They are also air-conditioned, so I'm not sure what you're trying to get at there.

Again, for the millionth time, the riding public should be glad that the trains show up at all. In the 70s and 80s it was not uncommon for train after train to be forced out of service due to mechanical issues. The R32s show up, they run, and they get you from point A to point B. What more could you possibly want?

Luxury is for limos and cabs.

Oh and not mention how often these cars break down. The (C) gets the worse grade out of all of the lines and has for some time because of these cars so there goes that argument.

Here's hoping the SMS remedies that problem to some extent, then.

The R32s are no dirtier than the R46 cars. For trains that old, they look very good. They are also air-conditioned, so I'm not sure what you're trying to get at there.

Again, for the millionth time, the riding public should be glad that the trains show up at all. In the 70s and 80s it was not uncommon for train after train to be forced out of service due to mechanical issues. The R32s show up, they run, and they get you from point A to point B.

Uh that's where you're wrong. They've got the highest breakdown percentages out of all of the cars, so I don't know where you're getting this nonsense about getting us from point A to point B. Just face it... You guys are obsessed with the pieces of junk while the riding public wants them gone. Same thing goes for these R46s too....

Uh that's where you're wrong. They've got the highest breakdown percentages out of all of the cars, so I don't know where you're getting this nonsense about getting us from point A to point B.

I rode the (C) frequently for my trip in 2010 and the (A) frequently for the 2012 one. Perhaps it's just good fortune that I didn't get caught in any of these incidents, but it must mean something.

You guys are obsessed with the pieces of junk while the riding public wants them gone. Same thing goes for these R46s too....

So now you're saying that the R46s should be replaced by NTTs too? And where will the MTA come up with funds for that?

If the trains run, then they're not going to dispose of them just to appease to some riders.

I rode the (C) frequently for my trip in 2010 and the (A) frequently for the 2012 one. Perhaps it's just good fortune that I didn't get caught in any of these incidents, but it must mean something.

So now you're saying that the R46s should be replaced by NTTs too? And where will the MTA come up with funds for that?

If the trains run, then they're not going to dispose of them just to appease to some riders.

No, I'm saying that when it is time for trains to be retired they have to go, period. You seem to be under the impression that we should keep running unreliable trains because "they look nice for their age". Well, I'm sorry but the (MTA) is providing a service and with any service there are certain expectations that come with that service. We should not be "thankful" to have a train or a bus show up. My tax dollars along with the riding public that pays taxes goes to the (MTA) for them to invest in new buses and trains, etc., so I don't want to hear that nonsense. When you start paying taxes like the rest of us you'll understand things better.

You seem to be under the impression that we should keep running unreliable trains because "they look nice for their age".

No, but you know that they are on the chopping block for when the R179s arrive, so what's the use in complaining? It's not like that will speed up the delivery.

We should not be "thankful" to have a train or a bus show up.

Did you ride the subway in the 80s? If so, anything should be, and is, a colossal improvement.

Also, I don't understand the comment about "My tax dollars go to the MTA for them to invest in new buses and trains". You make it seem as though they're using them just to refurbish the old trains. The R179s ARE coming, they just can't come as quickly as people want them to. Be patient.

No, but you know that they are on the chopping block for when the R179s arrive, so what's the use in complaining? It's not like that will speed up the delivery.

Did you ride the subway in the 80s? If so, anything should be, and is, a colossal improvement.

Also, I don't understand the comment about "My tax dollars go to the MTA for them to invest in new buses and trains". You make it seem as though they're using them just to refurbish the old trains. The R179s ARE coming, they just can't come as quickly as people want them to. Be patient.

Uh no I just get sick of hearing this nonsense about oh the riding public should be so thankful that a bus or a subway shows up like we're getting the service for free or something. We're paying for a service and we expect to get quality for what we're paying for. Simple as that. These R32s are anything but a quality ride for $2.25, plus the taxes we pay for new buses and trains.

As for riding the subways in the 80s, yes, I used them and they were deplorable. With these R32s still hanging around, we sure aren't going forward that's for sure.

As for riding the subways in the 80s, yes, I used them and they were deplorable. With these R32s still hanging around, we sure aren't going forward that's for sure.

So by THAT logic, aren't there other trains that use R142/142As, R143s, and R160s for you to ride on besides the (A) and (C)?....

The damn R46s are 37-38 years of age. The R62/62As and R68/68As are in their 20s. You expect every thing to be replaced with new things and move forward that fast? What's wrong with just waiting and seeing?....

Look, the bottom line is, until the R179 order comes in, the R32s aren't going anywhere.

If some riders don't like them, then we can't do anything about it. That is true. At the same time, however, it gets really tiring listening to them constantly ranting. You can either enjoy the nostalgia, or avoid taking the (A) / (C) lines until the 32s have been displaced.

Also, 'we sure aren't going forward'? I would prefer to ride this car:

img_4329.jpg

over this car (I know it's an R40S but I can't find any pics of graffitied R32s):

recent-bimg_5241.jpg

I will not deny that the R32s are plagued with problems at nearly 50 years of age, but complaining about them is fruitless. They are staying in service until the R179s arrive whether riders like it or not.

So by THAT logic, aren't there other trains that use R142/142As, R143s, and R160s for you to ride on besides the (A) and (C)?....

The damn R46s are 37-38 years of age. The R62/62As and R68/68As are in their 20s. You expect every thing to be replaced with new things and move forward that fast? What's wrong with just waiting and seeing?....

Spare me... These R32s should've been retired already and it's a disgrace that they're still around. As I said before the (C) has been ranked the worst line for some time now and it's because of these R32s... Unreliable service. If they can't provide reliable service then they're useless.

Look, the bottom line is, until the R179 order comes in, the R32s aren't going anywhere.

If some riders don't like them, then we can't do anything about it. That is true. At the same time, however, it gets really tiring listening to them constantly ranting. You can either enjoy the nostalgia, or avoid taking the (A) / (C) lines until the 32s have been displaced.

Also, 'we sure aren't going forward'? I would prefer to ride this car:

img_4329.jpg

over this car (I know it's an R40S but I can't find any pics of graffitied R32s):

recent-bimg_5241.jpg

I will not deny that the R32s are plagued with problems at nearly 50 years of age, but complaining about them is fruitless. They are staying in service until the R179s arrive whether riders like it or not.

Yeah well we don't like them and that's the problem. You guys love R32s and the majority of the riding public doesn't, so deal with it.

VG8, you can sit on your behind and continue to rant and whine all you want...R32s will be going out the door once the R179s are here after testing then everyone's happy...Until then of course, foaming about these cars is all you can do...I won't waste my time convince you nor reasoning with you... <_<<_<<_<<_<<_<

VG8, you can sit on your behind and continue to rant and whine all you want...R32s will be going out the door once the R179s are here after testing then everyone's happy...Until then of course, foaming about these cars is all you can do...I won't waste my time convince you nor reasoning with you... <_<<_<<_<<_<<_<

No I don't foam... I tell the truth. Enjoy them while they're here because soon they'll be bye bye... :D

Archived