125th St Bus Corridor Improvement Workshop

Mysterious2train

http://www.nyc.gov/html/brt/downloads/pdf/2013-03-sbs-125-st-cb11-slides.pdf

Looking at that slideslow, I think they took out too many stops from Queens. There is that long stretch on Astoria Blvd where the proposed M60 SBS+ wouldn't stop at all, and I don't think it should be that way. Even if they do add more buses to local service, I still think the SBS+ should have like two more stops in that middle stretch on the map (Slide 14).

Looking at that slideslow, I think they took out too many stops from Queens. There is that long stretch on Astoria Blvd where the proposed M60 SBS+ wouldn't stop at all, and I don't think it should be that way. Even if they do add more buses to local service, I still think the SBS+ should have like two more stops in that middle stretch on the map (Slide 14).

sorry but astoria people should just use the local anyway too bad people have flights to catch.

sorry but astoria people should just use the local anyway too bad people have flights to catch.

You shouldn't be cutting it so close for your flight that an extra 5 minutes on the bus would cause you to miss it. Major things like that (job interviews, flight to catch, important meeting, etc) are those you should allow plenty of time for, because so much is at stake if you come late.

You shouldn't be cutting it so close for your flight that an extra 5 minutes on the bus would cause you to miss it. Major things like that (job interviews, flight to catch, important meeting, etc) are those you should allow plenty of time for, because so much is at stake if you come late.

you have a point tell that to many travellers who go last minute.

http://pdfuploader.com/uppdfs/239/SBS_on_125th_Street_Public_Meeting_April_9.pdf

The open house is on Tuesday, April 9 from 5 to 8 PM. But since we already have all the info about the planned designs on 125 St, there's pretty much no point in going [although, since the MTA/DOT's plans are more-or-less set in stone from the start, you could say that about all the events.]

I'm looking at that map again, and I don't really see an issue. The distance between the stops is about a mile (which means that at most, you're walking about a half mile), and right in the middle of that gap, you're a short distance away from the Q69 (which would likely be more frequent than the Q19) if you're headed to the subway. Not to mention that there's a huge cemetary bordering part of that stretch, and there's only a certain number of places where you can cross over the expressway (so ideally, the SBS stops would be placed right around those crossings). With the Q19 & Q69 right around those areas, the only real issue is those going to Upper Manhattan, which I guess are just going to have to deal with it.

I just hope that "improved service" on the Q19 means more than just adding a few early-morning trips or something, and means they'll actually improve the frequencies. That would suck if local riders were left with 30 minute headways on the weekends.

As far as the span goes, they'll definitely have to run later service in the evenings, and I wonder what they'll do with overnight service. (They'd probably have it like the Q44, where the signs say that they only stop at night, and they'd just run locals with no SBS service).

• 1 month later...

There's another M60 SBS meeting.

https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=mu8rqk2bv0v2lk3hh36r8s16rs@group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/New_York

On Tri State Campaign Calender

May 23, 6:30 pm-7:30 pm. State Senator Perkins Town Hall – M60 Select Bus Service.
   NYC DOT and MTA New York City Transit will attend a town hall meeting held by Senator Perkins on Thursday, May 23rd to discuss M60 Select Bus Service on 125th Street. We will provide an update on how the plan has continued to evolve in response to community input. We continue to seek feedback on our plans, so please join us at this important meeting. The meeting will take place on Thursday, May 23rd from 6:30-9:00pm at the United House of Prayer for All People at 2320 Frederick Douglass Boulevard (between 124th and 125th Streets). If you have any questions, please contact Josh Orzeck at (212) 839-618 or jorzeck@dot.nyc.gov. 

United House of Prayer for All People at 2320 Frederick Douglass Boulevard (between 124th and 125th Streets), New York, NY.

and the meeting showed that people were mad and saying, "why is this being shoved down our throats?" "it will make it difficult to get around on 125th!" 

...Yet are the other options local on 125 provide a better option than the M60? 

• 1 month later...

So MTA has decided to shelve M60 SBS due to community opposition.

In a statement provided to Second Avenue Sagas, MTA stated that

There are still a number of concerns about the project from the local Community Boards and elected officials that we have not been able to resolve to date. As a result, NYCDOT and MTA New York City Transit have decided not to proceed with the M60 Select Bus Service project at this time. We do hope to have a continued dialogue with community stakeholders about ways that we can continue to improve bus speed and service, traffic flow, parking, and pedestrian safety along 125th Street. In the short term, we plan to work with the Community Boards to explore whether any parking or traffic improvements discussed during the SBS outreach process can improve 125th Street for all users.

they would have still stamped their feet if the (MTA)  decided to ram it in anyways.

The complainers are always the loudest, but that doesn't mean that they represent everyone.

If we listened to NIMBYs all the time, we wouldn't have a subway in the first place.

What about converting the M60 to a straight Limited-Stop service in Manhattan (stopping only at what were its planned SBS stops), and then after a stop at 31 Street in Queens, run the M60 express to Bulova Corporate Center/77 Street, and then to the aiirport? The 77 Street stop would be to allow for connections to and from the Q19, which would have its hours of service expanded.

In addition, I would propose running the M60 westbound on 126 Street and eastbound (east of 5 Avenue) on 124 Street. Reducing driving traffic on 125 Street to 1 lane each way (with an offset bus lane) would have caused major problems.

This is the MTA/DOT's own fault for not proposing SBS on the M101.

I'm surprised the NIMBYs apparently forced this result. The DOT even went back and revised their street design, and I guess it still wasn't enough. I know there are a lot of dissenting opinions, but I didn't think it was this bad.

I honestly feel sorry for people who have to ride these lines everyday, especially for longer trips. At least the people who find this project a waste or unnecessary got the status quo maintained.

The vast majority of people in that district don't own cars, and yet the local politicians (I wonder how they get to work...) all railed against the SBS plan. This is why I always say politicians are pathetic scum. The ones in the denser areas spit on the majority of their constituents and work for the troglodyte NIMBYs, and the one in the less populous more wealthy areas just oppose anything and everything. In this case, they're appealing to the loudest and stupidest NIMBYs and of course themselves. Who cares if SBS and street improvements would help the people of that area? It won't help the NIMBYs and would take some precious parking spots, so the plan gets pressured into cancellation. Disgusting.

The vast majority of people in that district don't own cars, and yet the local politicians (I wonder how they get to work...) all railed against the SBS plan. This is why I always say politicians are pathetic scum. The ones in the denser areas spit on the majority of their constituents and work for the troglodyte NIMBYs, and the one in the less populous more wealthy areas just oppose anything and everything. In this case, they're appealing to the loudest and stupidest NIMBYs and of course themselves. Who cares if SBS and street improvements would help the people of that area? It won't help the NIMBYs and would take some precious parking spots, so the plan gets pressured into cancellation. Disgusting.

Its not the pols fault. All the community boards in the area where 125 St runs did not have full support on M60 SBS. Its everyone's fault.

Makes me wonder. If a parking garage was built on that unused land at Lenox & 125th or somewhere nearby, would the parking NIMBY's be OK with that, and this project?

If you ask me, the real objection may have been the offset bus lane...which would have set up an utter mess on the eastern end of 125 Street approaching the RFK Bridge with only one regular traffic lane.

Maybe, but since the approach up to the Bridge is a curbside lane, and even then only in one direction, I can't imagine it causing too much congestion right up at the bridge entrance. The DOT also decided not to implement any bus lane between Morningside Av and Lenox Av, but I guess that wasn't enough. I guess an offset bus lane between Lenox and Lexington could cause congestion with cars, but I would imagine it would hopefully improve by 3 Av headed EB.

I'm guessing the people who didn't like the lack of stops on the M60 had a big part of it. Naturally I think that's a pretty ridicolous opinion. There are a bunch of riders with trouble walking, but aside from the stop at 7 Av (which I can understand why it was skipped, but I don't think it should have been) every skipped stop is one short block from somewhere where the M60 would stop. Not to mention there'd still be a lot of local service. NIMBYs are puzzling.

Its not the pols fault. All the community boards in the area where 125 St runs did not have full support on M60 SBS. Its everyone's fault.

Apparently only one or two members from CB9 and CB10 showed up to the DOT presentations. The system doesn't work particularly well in some places.

Maybe, but since the approach up to the Bridge is a curbside lane, and even then only in one direction, I can't imagine it causing too much congestion right up at the bridge entrance. The DOT also decided not to implement any bus lane between Morningside Av and Lenox Av, but I guess that wasn't enough. I guess an offset bus lane between Lenox and Lexington could cause congestion with cars, but I would imagine it would hopefully improve by 3 Av headed EB.

I'm guessing the people who didn't like the lack of stops on the M60 had a big part of it. Naturally I think that's a pretty ridicolous opinion. There are a bunch of riders with trouble walking, but aside from the stop at 7 Av (which I can understand why it was skipped, but I don't think it should have been) every skipped stop is one short block from somewhere where the M60 would stop. Not to mention there'd still be a lot of local service. NIMBYs are puzzling.

There was a lot of sentiment about why only the M60 was getting the special treatment. Never mind the fact that every bus route would have benefited from a bus lane on 125th...

Archived