MTA New York City Bus & MTA Bus Company Pending Bus Contracts

Chargerdodge9

Please let's not get into this. What you know is what you like to believe. You and whatever handful of people you spoke to (I know, I know, you've spoken to thoooousands of express bus riders or whatever) didn't like the Prevosts and that sucks. Maybe other people did. That *is* possible, you know.

Yes, please let's not.  Stick to the (R) train and you'll be fine.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know there are going to be people that are going to hate a bus, but there are people who like the damn bus. For the Prevost's I can't really say nothing since I haven't rode them yet. I do hear the opinions, but I won't believe them until I ride the bus for full-weeks time day and night. Unless you rode the buses A LOT, then you're arguments are invalid. Since more Prevost's are coming, I say bring them and improve on the issues that were reported with the original 90 bus order, although the maintenance crew at YUKON should step their game up in terms of taking care of the buses.

Yes, please let's not.  Stick to the (R) train and you'll be fine.

Again with the (R) train. Because I don't take a bus or anything. You're a troll, you know that, right?

Here's the thing, I know you have this image in your mind of you being The Voice of The People*, who single-handedly brings express bus service to the masses and knows what *everyone* who rides express buses thinks of the Prevosts. There's this thing called reality, though. In reality, you're a random guy who the politicians you play patty-cakes with know they can count on for a vote. You also don't know the opinions of the thousands of people who use the Prevosts. Maybe the majority dislike them, maybe they don't, but you sure as hell are not the final word on it. Spare me the "oh yeah, well *I* happen to know for a fact that everyone hates them" crap. It's impossible to be reasonable with you because of shit like this. Whatever the issues with the Prevosts, they can probably be solved by February 2014. The ride is smooth and they accelerate very well. The seats can be speced for a different make. The buses passed the testing phase, so they've been reliable enough, Yukon's shit maintenance aside. God I hope Yonkers randomly gets Prevosts in the next MTAB express order.

*the right kind of people, of course, from the right neighborhoods, not those ghetto people.

You know there are going to be people that are going to hate a bus, but there are people who like the damn bus. For the Prevost's I can't really say nothing since I haven't rode them yet. I do hear the opinions, but I won't believe them until I ride the bus for full-weeks time day and night. Unless you rode the buses A LOT, then you're arguments are invalid. Since more Prevost's are coming, I say bring them and improve on the issues that were reported with the original 90 bus order, although the maintenance crew at YUKON should step their game up in terms of taking care of the buses.

Again with the (R) train. Because I don't take a bus or anything. You're a troll, you know that, right?

Here's the thing, I know you have this image in your mind of you being The Voice of The People*, who single-handedly brings express bus service to the masses and knows what *everyone* who rides express buses thinks of the Prevosts. There's this thing called reality, though. In reality, you're a random guy who the politicians you play patty-cakes with know they can count on for a vote. You also don't know the opinions of the thousands of people who use the Prevosts. Maybe the majority dislike them, maybe they don't, but you sure as hell are not the final word on it. Spare me the "oh yeah, well *I* happen to know for a fact that everyone hates them" crap. It's impossible to be reasonable with you because of shit like this. Whatever the issues with the Prevosts, they can probably be solved by February 2014. The ride is smooth and they accelerate very well. The seats can be speced for a different make. The buses passed the testing phase, so they've been reliable enough, Yukon's shit maintenance aside. God I hope Yonkers randomly gets Prevosts in the next MTAB express order.

*the right kind of people, of course, from the right neighborhoods, not those ghetto people.

Opinions aside about whether people like them or not, the fact of the matter is those buses will not be able to hold up with Yukon's maintenance and that's the key thing here.  I've rode Staten Island express buses for years and the MCIs can withstand far more abuse than those Prevosts can and even in that situation, Staten Island experienced shortages due to shoddy maintenance. As far as I'm concerned, this is a waste of money and a perfect example of the (MTA) not spending responsibly.  As for sending them to Yonkers, Yonkers would handle those buses with the utmost care.  Our MCIs are in great shape even though some of them are 6-8 years old. I'm sure you know that though because you're so involved with riding express buses more so than me.  <_<

And yes, I speak for the people outside of this forum that don't brown nose the (MTA) like yourself and make excuses for them constantly.  The seats can be specked, but more than likely they won't be, which is a joke when an agency is spending hundreds of thousands of dollars per bus that are supposed to be used for the next 12 years or more.  

As far as I'm concerned, this is a waste of money and a perfect example of the (MTA) not spending responsibly

So going through a procurement process, accepting bids from various manufacturers, evaluating those bids thoroughly and fairly, then selecting the best proposal when it came to price and product offered all the while posting the basis of their decision online for everyone to see so it's as clear as night and day, is not spending responsibly? What is then???

So going through a procurement process, accepting bids from various manufacturers, evaluating those bids thoroughly and fairly, then selecting the best proposal when it came to price and product offered all the while posting the basis of their decision online for everyone to see so it's as clear as night and day, is not spending responsibly? What is then???

Just because they picked the lowest bidder doesn't mean they're getting the best value for their money.  We've seen how picking the lowest bidder isn't always the wisest choice.  The South Ferry station is a perfect example of that.

Just because they picked the lowest bidder doesn't mean they're getting the best value for their money. We've seen how picking the lowest bidder isn't always the wisest choice. The South Ferry station is a perfect example of that.

Because the MTA is a state agency, I believe they have no choice but to go with the lowest bidder. Thats why they get screwed in so many situations like the south ferry station or the brick facade of the then 100st depot

Because the MTA is a state agency, I believe they have no choice but to go with the lowest bidder. Thats why they get screwed in so many situations like the south ferry station or the brick facade of the then 100st depot

lol... Yeah 100th street was another "fine job" done by the lowest bidder with loose bricks falling all over the place.  Did they have to hire someone else to fix that problem or what? I can't remember.

Opinions aside about whether people like them or not, the fact of the matter is those buses will not be able to hold up with Yukon's maintenance and that's the key thing here.  I've rode Staten Island express buses for years and the MCIs can withstand far more abuse than those Prevosts can and even in that situation, Staten Island experienced shortages due to shoddy maintenance. As far as I'm concerned, this is a waste of money and a perfect example of the (MTA) not spending responsibly.  As for sending them to Yonkers, Yonkers would handle those buses with the utmost care.  Our MCIs are in great shape even though some of them are 6-8 years old. I'm sure you know that though because you're so involved with riding express buses more so than me.  <_<

And yes, I speak for the people outside of this forum that don't brown nose the (MTA) like yourself and make excuses for them constantly.  The seats can be specked, but more than likely they won't be, which is a joke when an agency is spending hundreds of thousands of dollars per bus that are supposed to be used for the next 12 years or more.  

There's a difference between brown nosing and being realistic. I'm realistic. They need to work harder, but said working harder needs funding, not wasting time by the politicians that pat you on the head and call you a great American. The (MTA) has issues, but not the ones you throw constant bitchfits over. I'll say it plainly: you're too f**king pampered to live in NYC. There is no making you happy short of express bus service every five minutes at all times to every corner of the city, running the bus type that you want. The (MTA) evaluated the Prevost and MCI and decided that price and value for said price made the Prevosts a better choice. If they find the older seats were of a better design, they can order those. Not the end of the world. They're under constant budget constraints, so you get the lower bidder. Don't like it? Complain to your local representative and demand they increase funding.

There's a difference between brown nosing and being realistic. I'm realistic. They need to work harder, but said working harder needs funding, not wasting time by the politicians that pat you on the head and call you a great American. The (MTA) has issues, but not the ones you throw constant bitchfits over. I'll say it plainly: you're too f**king pampered to live in NYC. There is no making you happy short of express bus service every five minutes at all times to every corner of the city, running the bus type that you want. The (MTA) evaluated the Prevost and MCI and decided that price and value for said price made the Prevosts a better choice. If they find the older seats were of a better design, they can order those. Not the end of the world. They're under constant budget constraints, so you get the lower bidder. Don't like it? Complain to your local representative and demand they increase funding.

Stop making these outrageous accusations about me wanting an express bus every five minutes... Listen if the MCIs were garbage I would say the same thing.  They're under budget constraints but that doesn't mean go out and buy the cheapest sh*t available that may not hold up that well and may cost more in the long run.  Like I said before they've went cheap before and have been burned with South Ferry, 100th street depot and plenty of other botched projects.  

lol... Yeah 100th street was another "fine job" done by the lowest bidder with loose bricks falling all over the place. Did they have to hire someone else to fix that problem or what? I can't remember.

Yes, they hired another company fix the problem. But they definitely sued the company that originally did the work. I believe they finished right before the depot renaming ceremony.

Now the 690 bus order has been delayed until the October to November timeframe.....

By the time they finally award it, the oldest RTSes are gonna be falling apart. This is what, ten months of delays now on this contract?

Yes, they hired another company fix the problem. But they definitely sued the company that originally did the work. I believe they finished right before the depot renaming ceremony.

LOL... This is what I'm talking about... They would be better off hiring the right company to begin with.  I wonder if they're reimbursed for the attorney fees involved with these lawsuits.  Either way this nonsense eats up time and money and resources that could be better used for more important issues.  

By the time they finally award it, the oldest RTSes are gonna be falling apart. This is what, ten months of delays now on this contract?

I'm hearing the Orions are the ones falling apart. The RTS are the ones holding up. 

I'm hearing the Orions are the ones falling apart. The RTS are the ones holding up.

I get a lot of RTS's with leaking and seats are always wet however I still think the 1999 Orion's are the ones doing bad. The 1999 batch wasn't all that great in the beginning. I feel sorry for ECH who has all Orion's those 1996 RTS's were fine even though I'm still a little upset that 8750 was retired but oh well.

Not proven for transit(excluding Greyhound or operators that are similar), however...they've only had what...one order outside of NYC? And that was YEARS ago for GO Transit. MCI is FAR more proven than Prevost is for any situation and the credentials along with the TAs that have those buses speaks for itself....

Oh also, nice job thumbs downing a disagreement, hypocrite.

Not fully true as Prevost has been selling buses to the CIT's in the Montreal area for commuter runs to and from Montreal.

Designline has absolutely no experience building an over the road coach, and little experience with transit buses with not one successful order to date. Prevost again, has been building buses for years. There is not that much different than a private/charter model and a commuter model aside from the double sliding doors, the stop request buttons, and different seat models per TA specs.

Downvoted a personal attack my friend.

Agreed. With that said, I'm done here.

Your wrong again, Designline has lots of experience building transit buses overseas. They just dont have much North Amercian experience

Its messed up that they just shut Designline like that due to "lack of experience in producing OTR coaches". IIRC the MTA was one of the first customers to purchase artics from Novabus. Unless they were banking on the fact that the parent company to this generations Novabus (Volvo), has been building and selling artics for quite some time in Europe and South America, that would be the perfect example of lack of experience in building a certain type of bus...

The first production Nova artics went to Montreal and Quebec City in 2009

Your wrong again, Designline has lots of experience building transit buses overseas. They just dont have much North Amercian experience

Overseas it's a slightly different operation, using different equipment and models (for one buses are built on MAN chassis) plus it's no longer affiliated with DesignLine USA. 

PLATTSBURGH — Prevost has landed a $164.8 million contract to build 300 buses in the Town of Plattsburgh for the New York Metropolitan Transit Authority.

The MTA Board of Directors approved the contract at a meeting Wednesday.

The over-the-road, clean-diesel buses would be built at the Nova Bus plant on Banker Road for MTA's New York City Transit.

North Country Chamber of Commerce President Garry Douglas said the contract is another next step forward in Plattsburgh's emergence as one of North America's top centers for the production of 21st-century transportation equipment.

"The addition of this exciting new operation shows great confidence by Volvo and Prevost in our area's ability to make such a venture successful," he said by email. 

Source

Archived