MTA New York City Bus & MTA Bus Company Pending Bus Contracts

Chargerdodge9

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So when would deliveries of the new Prevosts begin? Some time this fall, or August 15?

Pilot bus is due January 2014.

Overall, this sucks. I just hope that Yukon doesn't get a share of these(even though they will) since they destroyed the 50 units they have now. A good number of them feel like they lack suspensions...

The ride quality and comfort levels are hit or miss with our 90 units, they better do a much better job this time around since passengers aren't too keen with these Prevosts, especially the Downtown crowd.

So when would deliveries of the new Prevosts begin? Some time this fall, or August 15?

2 pilot buses arrive in FEBRUARY 2014

Production buses should be arrive in September 2014 and continue on til February 2016 

Since no one posted page 2... its on page 174 in the pdf document: http://www.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/130722_1030_Transit_Bus.pdf

Like I said in the Shoutbox now is a good time to fix the issues that plague the current order of Prevost coaches. I'm sure they can prove to be efficient vehicles provided the MTA specifies them so that they closermatch the MCI's.

Also like I said, this proves to be a good ground for speculation on the transit bus order. Easily I could see it going to Volvo (Nova)

Like I said in the Shoutbox now is a good time to fix the issues that plague the current order of Prevost coaches. I'm sure they can prove to be efficient vehicles provided the MTA specifies them so that they closermatch the MCI's.

Also like I said, this proves to be a good ground for speculation on the transit bus order. Easily I could see it going to Volvo (Nova)

I came in here to say that---Nova Bus could be the future long-term supplier for the MTA, although in this case, Prevost actually was the low bidder and beat out MCI on cost.

As for numbers, I expect that they could be 2490-2785, with the remaining 1999 (20 or so units), 2000 (almost 100 units), and 2001 MCIs (almost 90 buses) being retired. Might the 2002 MCIs also be gone at the same time?

I came in here to say that---Nova Bus could be the future long-term supplier for the MTA, although in this case, Prevost actually was the low bidder and beat out MCI on cost.

As for numbers, I expect that they could be 2490-2785, with the remaining 1999 (20 or so units), 2000 (almost 100 units), and 2001 MCIs (almost 90 buses) being retired. Might the 2002 MCIs also be gone at the same time?

Well history is bound to repeat itself. Volvo seems to be leading with the MTA.

In regard to the 2002 they'll be eligible to replace next year so some may leave. If anything I see future expansion, particularly in Brooklyn and Queens. The Bronx and Staten Island likely following.

Pilot bus is due January 2014.

Overall, this sucks. I just hope that Yukon doesn't get a share of these(even though they will) since they destroyed the 50 units they have now. A good number of them feel like they lack suspensions...

The ride quality and comfort levels are hit or miss with our 90 units, they better do a much better job this time around since passengers aren't too keen with these Prevosts, especially the Downtown crowd.

You're telling me.  I know plenty of people on Staten Island who literally try to avoid these Prevosts.  Crappy buses indeed.  This is a terrible decision.  The (MTA) yet again goes for the cheaper bid and sacrifices on quality from a proven provider like MCI!!  <_<

You're telling me.  I know plenty of people on Staten Island who literally try to avoid these Prevosts.  Crappy buses indeed.  This is a terrible decision.  The (MTA) yet again goes for the cheaper bid and sacrifices on quality from a proven provider like MCI!!  <_<

The only thing that's been proven out of the Prevosts is the fuel economy, they've saved more on fuel with the Prevosts than they have with the MCIs.

The only thing that's been proven out of the Prevosts is the fuel economy, they've saved more on fuel with the Prevosts than they have with the MCIs.

Yeah but if those buses don't last that will be peanuts in the overall scheme of things.  MCIs are beasts.  I think these Prevosts are just a little too pretty for the NYC streets and the likes of Yukon Depot.

Yeah but if those buses don't last that will be peanuts in the overall scheme of things.  MCIs are beasts.  I think these Prevosts are just a little too pretty for the NYC streets and the likes of Yukon Depot.

You're right... Send them to Yonkers! lol... ;)

It would have been nice if. MCI got it

Agreed, but it is what it is.

Now if Nova scores the local bus order, this would be a HUGE victory for Volvo Group as a whole.

Well, we'll have to wait till the half-life cycle of these buses hits the mark to see how they are holding up. I just hope Charleston doesn't get the Yukon units if a swap were to occur, there's already holes in the seats/cushions just like in the old MCIs and some of them ride like the freaking 1998 DL3s (1860-2039). And on top of all of that, the HVACs SUCK!!! <_<

And here we go.

16c97xy.jpg

Its messed up that they just shut Designline like that due to "lack of experience in producing OTR coaches". IIRC the MTA was one of the first customers to purchase artics from Novabus. Unless they were banking on the fact that the parent company to this generations Novabus (Volvo), has been building and selling artics for quite some time in Europe and South America, that would be the perfect example of lack of experience in building a certain type of bus...

Will you guys please give this order a chance? OK, fine, they screwed up on the last order, but these buses can be built with completely different seats and interiors than the last ones, remember, those were TEST AND EVALUATION buses. Let's just wait and see how these turn out...

Its messed up that they just shut Designline like that due to "lack of experience in producing OTR coaches". IIRC the MTA was one of the first customers to purchase artics from Novabus. Unless they were banking on the fact that the parent company to this generations Novabus (Volvo), has been building and selling artics for quite some time in Europe and South America, that would be the perfect example of lack of experience in building a certain type of bus...

Nova Bus had been making artics in Canada before they got the order for MTA. The part that was new was the plant in NY. The order for PREVOST is good for that plant also as they will be built there.

Will you guys please give this order a chance? OK, fine, they screwed up on the last order, but these buses can be built with completely different seats and interiors than the last ones, remember, those were TEST AND EVALUATION buses. Let's just wait and see how these turn out...

Yeah...this coming from the guy who could barely give NJT's Designline order a chance and kept throwing bombs along the way even BEFORE the buses set foot onto NJT property.....practice what you preach <_<

There won't be different seats in these units especially since the new MCIs have them, so it wouldn't make much sense. The units we spoke of may be BT&E units, but its been known that the production units mimic the BT&E units to a certain degree.

I'd like to but I'm not holding my breath on it.  I think this will be a waste of money.  No was do I see the current fleet lasting 12+ years, not on these NYC streets.

You're right... Send them to Yonkers! lol... ;)

Ha! I think our 6 - 8 year old MCIs would be much better off than those Prevosts... 

Wow I'm glad it's going to Prevost! Love those things!

Yeah...this coming from the guy who could barely give NJT's Designline order a chance and kept throwing bombs along the way....practice what you preach <_<

There won't be different seats in these units especially since the new MCIs have them, so it wouldn't make much sense. The units we spoke of may be BT&E units, but its been known that the production units mimic the BT&E units to a certain degree.

Even though it will have the same seats... can they build the seats to sit a little higher from the floor?

Wow I'm glad it's going to Prevost! Love those things!

Even though it will have the same seats... can they build the seats to sit a little higher from the floor?

That depends, Prevosts have always put seats in a lowered position along with the floors being more lowered. The bus is a few noticeable inches shorter than the standard MCI which contributes to the lowered positioning. While I would hope they would do that, I sincerely doubt they would because they've been positioning the seats the same way for every other TA/Operator they've built them for.

LOL ... I'm old enough to remember people saying the exact same thing about the RTS's back in 1981.

That depends, Prevosts have always put seats in a lowered position along with the floors being more lowered. The bus is a few noticeable inches shorter than the standard MCI which contributes to the lowered positioning. While I would hope they would do that, I sincerely doubt they would because they've been positioning the seats the same way for every other TA/Operator they've built them for.

Since this order is for 300, that should just about knock out all of the MCIs built prior to 2004 which i don't mind.  Just a shame that they're Prevosts, but those MCIs need to go.  The seats on those buses are shot with nails and God knows what sticking you when you attempt to sit down. The 300 would likely be split between Staten Island (Meredith, Castleton, Yukon and Charleston) and Ulmer Park, so you could have just about all Prevosts out of those depots.  <_<

Archived