The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started PM road ops last week. My A div class took a R42 back and forth over the willy b to practice the grade timers and i must say i never seen that many signals back to back. now that i got used to working 1900-0300 im wide awake.

The Willy B Timers are kinda easy...

Them suckas on the Manhattan Bridge Smh different story wrist killers with R160's!

Edited by RTOMan

All im saying is that while my class is out doing road operations we are really testing the limits of these trains. So if anyone in school car is reading this make sure you use your road ops time to make the mistakes so that you can perfect your operation. Just dont make a bad enough mistake to where you have to fill out a g2.

Some of these TSS's are much better than others. I'm sure they all know there stuff, but some just seem to have a better knack for teaching than others. In more than one instance we were given either incomplete information, wrong information, or information about a division other than the one we're being trained for. To make matters worse, there's tension between the two when deciding what, when, or how to go over certain things.

Here's to hoping things get better.

Some of these TSS's are much better than others. I'm sure they all know there stuff, but some just seem to have a better knack for teaching than others. In more than one instance we were given either incomplete information, wrong information, or information about a division other than the one we're being trained for. To make matters worse, there's tension between the two when deciding what, when, or how to go over certain things.

Here's to hoping things get better.

Oh boy not good sounds familiar....

School car is going to get worst a lot of the current ones are looking to leave because of the lack of OT. Also only a handful applied for the job mostly TSS' s with less then a year. Now they going to draft the replacements. Keep in mind we get NO training to be an instructor they say hello you start Monday 0730 with a class of T/O's have fun.

School car is going to get worst a lot of the current ones are looking to leave because of the lack of OT. Also only a handful applied for the job mostly TSS' s with less then a year. Now they going to draft the replacements. Keep in mind we get NO training to be an instructor they say hello you start Monday 0730 with a class of T/O's have fun.

Lack of OT?, I though the positive side of this job was being able to take actual weekends off consistently.

They don't give TSS's at least an outline or a syllabus of what needs to be covered?

I know it's not easy, and the last thing I'm going to do is bash anybody. Was just sharing I guess. I will say this though, I've probably come across 10-15 TSS since I started and every single one, without exception has not only been friendly, but they all seem truly interested in giving us advice to try and get us through school car. Some just have a better ability when it comes to teaching.

Not me; I've been Yard Posting. Spent the last 2 days at 179 and 71, and was busy. I enjoyed it.

Tomorrow, I get to play at Coney during the blizzard from 1630 to 0030. I'll be the one building the snowman and driving my Jeep up the snowpiles (as long as they're not over the tracks).

I know it's not easy, and the last thing I'm going to do is bash anybody. Was just sharing I guess. I will say this though, I've probably come across 10-15 TSS since I started and every single one, without exception has not only been friendly, but they all seem truly interested in giving us advice to try and get us through school car. Some just have a better ability when it comes to teaching.

That's great. Friendliness trumps almost everything. It keeps some of the pressure off and allows you to concentrate and ask good questions if you have any.

Not me; I've been Yard Posting. Spent the last 2 days at 179 and 71, and was busy. I enjoyed it.

Tomorrow, I get to play at Coney during the blizzard from 1630 to 0030. I'll be the one building the snowman and driving my Jeep up the snowpiles (as long as they're not over the tracks).

Yer gonna get a education in snow work down here listen to yer radio and hear the chatter.. You may get stuck there so bring extra clothes!

Edited by RTOMan

Yard Posting is done after 2 weeks. I can honestly say I had a great experience. All the motormen who took me on (they all came in as Motormen) were wonderful, answered all my questions, gave me tips, and let me do my thing for the most part. A thank you to them for letting me hone my techniques.

Back in the classroom at Jamaica tomorrow; final Yard Practical on Thursday. 

Well so far with A Div T/O road posting we got a few operating violatons which is average. I rode someones train they were so slow the follower caught up to them on a 12 min headway.

My class is road posting the next 3 weeks starting next week!! Fingers crossed, im hoping and praying none of us get any violations!! Im sure we will be slow also, but hopefully not so slow that trains are backed up behind me!! My goal tho is to be safe and accurate with signals and station stops