The Restoration of R Service on Friday, Dec. 21! Exciting isn't it.....

Metro CSW

It's certainly not empty, but the Montague tube carries fewer people into Manhattan than any of the other East River subway crossings.

http://nymtc.org/fil...TRAVEL_DATA.pdf - see tables 14A-C.

well one reason is that it carries 1 line that runs like SHIT!!!! Service is an atrocity and wait times are complete shit no wonder it carries the fewest people. Heck I think (R) was more frequent and reliable as a brooklyn only shuttle. 4th ave waits welcome back :rolleyes:

It's certainly not empty, but the Montague tube carries fewer people into Manhattan than any of the other East River subway crossings.

Well it could be because of many Bay Ridge and Fourth Avenue residents heading to either Downtown Brooklyn or Midtown Manhattan, which they change for the express at 59th, 36th, Pacific Streets, or DeKalb Avenue for Manhattan Bridge "express" service.

The delays yesterday and today were INTOLERABLE again. Horrible Bay Ridge service since the R came back to the full route:

- Friday evening 12/21, 6:50pm, waited 20 minutes in the middle of rush-hour for a Bay Ridge train at 59th St Brooklyn. The crowd was 5 deep towards the middle of the platform. No excuse for this outrage.

- Saturday evening 12/22, 9:12pm, waited 19 minutes for a Bay Ridge train at Union St.

How anyone could prefer this service is beyond me. I called up to complain and will continue to call every time there is a delay. I encourage everyone to call 718 330 1234 to make a complaint every day there is a delay on R train service until Bay Ridge gets a train that comes with regular service. We pay the same fare as everyone else and we deserve a reliable train.

I think the simple solution is to just make the entire (N)(Q)(R) routes all run on ten minute headways to avoid backups with the exception of 34th Street heading uptown of course like they do on midday, evening, and weekend. Astoria is still getting frequent service of five minute headways on weekday midday and evening they already had before and now.

Lol, I'm sorry, but seriously, no one is going to stop the Resumption of service just to make you happy. It was cute the first time you posted that, but now it's getting old.

I don't see how he's doing anything different than you do when you ***** about the B41... It's the same thing... Unreliable service, so you can complain about your service but he can't? Is that the idea??

I don't see how he's doing anything different than you do when you ***** about the B41... It's the same thing... Unreliable service, so you can complain about your service but he can't? Is that the idea??

last I checked the b41 doesn't cross into another borough. But he seems pretty content with the R being split bw Brooklyn and Manhattan, meaning riders have to cram onto the narrower and over crowded cars of the 4 5 trains.

So what that analogy has to do with anything doesn't make sense. This R disruption was a recent issue, not something that's been going on for years now.

last I checked the b41 doesn't cross into another borough. But he seems pretty content with the R being split bw Brooklyn and Manhattan, meaning riders have to cram onto the narrower and over crowded cars of the 4 5 trains.

So what that analogy has to do with anything doesn't make sense. This R disruption was a recent issue, not something that's been going on for years now.

It's not like the (R) has ever had great service though and that's no secret so it has been going on for years... If anything with the service restored seems like it's worse... I've had my own issues with the (R) over the years in Brooklyn so I can empathize.

I think the simple solution is to just make the entire (N)(Q)(R) routes all run on ten minute headways to avoid backups with the exception of 34th Street heading uptown of course like they do on midday, evening, and weekend. Astoria is still getting frequent service of five minute headways on weekday midday and evening they already had before and now.

During rush hours, that would be a 40% service cut on the N, Q, and R trains serving Brooklyn. Certainly on the N and Q, and possibly on the R as well, trains would be severely overcrowded.

Nope. Just keep rush hour (N)(Q)(R) service as is, with their current six minute headways. That also means Astoria and Queens Boulevard have trains running every four to five minutes, very frequent indeed. Yes, delays are prone at DeKalb Avenue, Prince Street, 34th Street-Herald Square, and near the 60th Street Tunnel. But this is to avoid packed trains at rush hour as AndrewJC pointed out. Remember that all those three Broadway services come out of the outerboroughs with heavy loads of passengers to and from Manhattan, it depends. On middays and evenings, the (N)(Q)(R) actually run every ten minutes anyway.

I honestly don't notice any particular smell that stands out at Whitehall, but that's just me.....

There is a strange smell in parts of the station... I haven't used it in a while but I remember it... That and those nasty parts of the platform where the gross looking leaks were on the Brooklyn bound side. Always avoid them like the plague.

There is a strange smell in parts of the station... I haven't used it in a while but I remember it... That and those nasty parts of the platform where the gross looking leaks were on the Brooklyn bound side. Always avoid them like the plague.

That area on the brooklyn bound platform you're referring to by the stairs (in other words, by the front of a brooklyn bound train) I know about... I've waited over there a couple times.... Last time I took an (R) out of whitehall (wasn't too long before the hurricane hit, come to think of it), it was still leaky & rusty looking over there.....

(I) Just never noticed any smells of sorts (glad I haven't either, and I sure as hell aint rushing to check to see if there is !)

That area on the brooklyn bound platform you're referring to by the stairs (in other words, by the front of a brooklyn bound train) I know about... I've waited over there a couple times.... Last time I took an (R) out of whitehall (wasn't too long before the hurricane hit, come to think of it), it was still leaky & rusty looking over there.....

(I) Just never noticed any smells of sorts (glad I haven't either, and I sure as hell aint rushing to check to see if there is !)

LOL.... I haven't used that station in a while and sure don't miss it either.... The long waits for the (R) didn't help either.

Time to revive the Brown (R) from Essex Street-95th Street?

The Montague tube carries fewer people than any other East River crossing, and I believe R trains are less crowded than any other trains crossing the river. When it ran, the old Bay Parkway M was even emptier. Why would you increase service exactly where more service is least warranted? The N and Q are far more crowded than the R.

Do you realize that the MTA doesn't have unlimited funds to operate every possible service that anybody might possibly want to ride?

I'm guessing more riders from the Fourth Avenue Line are heading towards Midtown Manhattan. This however has been said time and time again. That's why the old brown (M) was plain relatively empty on the West End Line and the Fourth Avenue Local. Barely anyone was commuting between the Nassau Street and Fourth Avenue lines. Plus, neither Sea Beach or West End even warrant a local Brooklyn-Manhattan service, just express. Do note the longer it takes for local service to get to this area to that area, more people will show up on the platforms which in turn causes long delays and trains being full to the brim if there was no express. That's why you have express to lower capacity and prevent crowding. So reviving a line from the past for a corridor segment that doesn't warrant the service would be a waste for what the (MTA) is supposed to be saving. The (R) alone as the Fourth Avenue Local IMO is enough as is, same with the (D) on West End and (N) on Sea Beach. Sending any local Brooklyn-Manhattan service through the Montague Street tube and Fourth Avenue to either West End or Sea Beach is just going to be passed up for the express unless those riders are going towards a Fourth Avenue local stop or Downtown Brooklyn. If anything is going to be increase for Queens Boulevard, Broadway or Fourth Avenue local service (if they warranted it), it should be just the (R).

Archived