Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
jgood6195

What retired NYCTA/Bus company fleet do you miss the most?

I did one for NICE/LIBus already so I figured, why not the inner city? Mines are the 1993-1994 TMC RTS's and the 1994-1995 Orion V CNGs (and diesels). MTA bus would be the 1993-1994 TMC RTS diesels/CNGs and the 1997 Orion Vs.

Going pretty far back, I was a big fan of the GMC RTSes, those 6v92s were powerful and those buses moved well. The O6s (when they ran) were also great, and the whole 8600 series of RTSes had some real runners. I grew up on the GMCs and later TMCs, those will definitely be missed. Suppose I liked the 100 series Orions as well, but I was always partial to the GMC RTSes.

You know, I only saw the Orion VI hybrids in person only once. Too bad they were retired by that time because I remember seeing them all in the former Carlton yard while I was on the B45 back in summer 2005.

NYBSs fishbowls and Liberty Lines MCI's classics. And to some degree the RTS cngs especially when it makes a turn at the corners, 'leaning'

Edited by Grand Concourse

1998-99 OBI Orion 5.501 CNG Suburban from Queens Surface, Liberty Lines MCI's classics, 1988-89 MCI Model TC-40102A (Classic Suburbans ) 1984 MCI MC9 Etc. I also like the 1978 GMC P8M-4905A Parlor Bus and 1969 GMC Model S8H-5303A New Look Suburban buses from NYBS .

That is what I like and miss.

Edited by RFC

The 1981-1985 built GMC RTS-04 buses (T8W-204s and T8J-204s). The T8Ws had 6V71Ns while the T8Js had 6V92TAs. Awesome sounding buses they were and they were powerful too with those two cycle engines they had. I also liked the Alcoa rims on the rebuilt T8W-204s that were numbered in the 7000 series.

• Upvote 1

The 8600 series TMC RTS-06s, the rebuilt 7000 series GMC RTS-04s, the 1000 series New Flyer D60HFs, the MCI Classics, The RTS CNGs and the ORIGINAL 100 series Orion Vs

• Upvote 1

-them top heavy CNG RTSs...those were some buses with some serious lean to it, only rivaled with the Flxible Metros

-the 8000 series RTS...those came in at around the same time I was born so I literally grew up with those

-the DesignLines...dont care what anyone says, those were some futuristic looking buses that had potential if it wasn't for that turbine technology

The "Blitz Fishbowls"regular fishbowls were the best buses to grace this or any transit agency...

• Upvote 3

Top Heavy RTS CNG's, GMC's 3000's, 500's Orion CNG's & The TMC's from Triboro.

Edited by ciboii22

I loved all of the Triboro fleet

If only those 500 series Orion 5s kept their ZFs..

Or their L10G engines for that matter. Though, I did like their newer DD50G EGR engines as well. Plus, they might of retired them sooner (like around 2006-2007 along with the 1993-1994 TMC RTS CNGs) had they not repower/replace their tanks. Edited by jgood6195
  • Upvote 1

I guess...

Those RTS CNG were truly one of a kind... Those buses damn well knew how to lean!!

To the point that you would think they would flip over!
  • Upvote 1

Having lived in Corona all my life, the GMC RTS's, the TMC RTS CNG's and the MCI Classics from Triboro are the buses i miss the most.

In addition, the NYCT GMC RTS's were also my favorite buses

God, those RTS CNG's knew how to lean and roar!

1. Command RTS CNG (New Flyer C40 Origonals will be joining this soon)

2. Command/Triborough 05 CNG/ Origonal 5XX/6XX 05 CNG's from Gleason

3. MCI Classic idc what PBL

4. 8600 RTS's

5. GMC RTS's NYCT/Command

6. GBL TMC's

1990-91 TMC RTS-06 (#8000-8396, 8400)

Oh and the RTS 914xs.

Edited by NovaCSW8030

1990-91 TMC RTS-06 (#8000-8396, 8400)

Oh and the RTS 914xs.

I don't know if #8400 was ever in service. How could I forget the Cummins M11E RTS's? Those were nice. Edited by jgood6195

The 8600 series TMC RTS-06s, the rebuilt 7000 series GMC RTS-04s, the 1000 series New Flyer D60HFs, the MCI Classics, The RTS CNGs and the ORIGINAL 100 series Orion Vs

This