Former Mayor Ed Koch has died

BM5 via Woodhaven

Sad, to say the least.

"In April 2008, Koch shelled out $20,000 to buy a plot in Trinity Cemetery on Riverside Drive, the only Manehattan cemetery that still had room.

"I don't want to leave Manehattan, even when I'm gone," he said at the time. "This is my home. The thought of having to go to New Jersey was so distressing to me.""

Heheh, that's my man.

This man Ed Koch was an intricate part of NY history, instramental part of making NYC the way that it is today. Brilliant man with they way he handled difficult and complex issues during the turbulent 80's. I was in kindergarden then. He definitely made his mark in NYC politics. He does have his critics however.

One thing to consider Ed Koch was responsible for finally making a start in cleaning up the subways of the rampant violent crime that was grossly prevalent during that time followed by Guliani l;ater on. I'm actually a big fan of grafitti art but nethertheless I do acknolege thatsomething had to be done to deal with that aspect of crime. Koch was the innovator in stopping the rash of violent crime in the subways. I imagine we would not be seeing the surge of shootings, robberies and assaults in the streets and in our transit system we are experiencing now if Bloomberg would only take a hint from Ed Koch and Rudy Guliani.

From the time was was just born in Late 1977 till i was 12, he was the only Mayor I ever knew of. It was weird in 1990 being under a different mayor. Over the years till this day, all here in the City have sought his advice and leadership. He gave this city back its attitude. I cant front, its one of the rare times im holding back a tear. Hes one of the greatest thing to come from The Bronx.

Koch: "How am I doing?"

You did great, sir. You did great. 

Rest In Peace Mr Mayor.

1924-2013

Oh wow I was born in September 1977!

Speaking of which I had a class trip back  when I was @ PS 131 in Boro Park and had the opportunity to meet in person Ed Koch in City Hall. I was excited to meet him. He shook my hand.

So was I!!! The 13th to be exact.

And I never got a chance to meet the iconic mayor. But all who have that I know say it was something indeeed. Like you can feel the enthusiasm he had. 

Me, the 21st of September. Interestingly my girl was also born on the same date but she's younger then me. She was born on 9/21/81.

Anyway, yeah this mayor is indeed an iconic figure. Famous around the world practically for what good he has done. I can't say the same for any other mayor but him, really. he's got quite a list of accomplishments under his belt.

He did have alot of enthusiasm, he cared about NYers, and was not a prejudiced mayor. He showed concerned for NYers from all walks of life straight across the board.

Man Far Rock, we definitely come from the old skool, lol.

And i LOVE the old skool!!

Yeah those was the days. When hip hop was real with a message everyone can get a lesson from. When the house culture movement was going strong in full force. When we still had the mighty redbirds and the r40 slants. (Had to throw that in, being this is a transit forum =D)

R.I.P. Ed Koch.  :(

Indeed. If he was alive today serving as mayor, NYC would have been a better place, I can guarantee you that my sister!

Think of it: he held 3 consecutive terms in office, by hard work in caring for NYers. Unlike Bloomberg who is a sellout, buying his way through his terms in office. Unlike Bloomberg, he did care for the poor in NYC despite the controvery with racial bias in NYC. He should be commended. He held critical views about even Guliani and did not hold any punches. he was not a sore loser when he lost the election to mayor David Dinkins back then. That shows alot about his character, a real NYer. We need another mayor like him. Perhaps Lhota may be the one as another native NYer with acomplishments but I don't think he can match Koch.

Don't know much about since I was born in the early 90s. Oddly enough, I did  recently watch an interview he had with Alex Jones sometime ago. Compared to the likes of Rudy and Bloomberg, he seemed to of had good intentions. RIP Koch.

Yeah he did that's right, I saw it too.

Alex Jones got pawned big time by Koch on that episode, calling his statements baloney, foolish, not true, not on point, etc over arguements over the Israel/Palestine conflict, the issue over the 1st constitional amendment, Adolf Hiller, the holocaust, neo-nazis, homosexuality etc. It was a really heated debate. I mean Koch was kicking his ass all over the place it was hilarious. He was on point, but the only thing I disagreed with Koch on however was the media disinformation segment of the discussion. Otherwise yeah Alex got pawned big time.

Archived