Crosstown Bronx routes

Via Garibaldi 8

For Soundview, I would have the Bx27 run to Fordham Plaza.

Route: Rosedale Av, 174th St, Hoe/Vyse Avs, Boston Road, 182nd St, Quarry Rd, 184th St, 3rd Av

I've proposed this before. This would fill a service gap in Soundview west of White Plains Road and a crosstown one between 180th St and Fordham Road. It would serve the Bronx Zoo, the 174th Street Pathmark, Little Italy, St. Barnabas Hospital, Fordham University and St. Thomas Aquinas High School.

The route would have a slightly quicker ride to the (6) by connecting to it at St. Lawrence Av (two blocks away from Rosedale Av).

Well, I still don't like the idea of taking away the easy access to the (2) (which is the only route to the West Side from that part of The Bronx). I mean, I know they can stay on until East 180th, but that's still much further (especially considering the (2) is local at all times)

But now that I think about it, that might actually be a good idea for Threxx's Bx25 route. Instead of terminating at East 180th Street, it could continue down Rosedale Avenue, but then the question becomes where to terminate it. If you terminate it at the current Bx27/39 terminal, then that's probably overserving that part of Soundview (unless you were to split the Bx27 and run half to Foxhurst and half to Morris Heights). Then evenings and nights, all of them go to Morris Heights.

But then again, evenings and nights, the buses don't connect with the (2) anyway, so maybe demand just isn't that high.

The other issue is that the area by Morrison Avenue is kind of isolated by the expressways and river, so by taking away the Bx27, you're taking away the one route that vaguely resembles a north-south route.

Just thinking out loud I suppose....

I'm looking at the Bx27 map, and the main Bronx bus map shows it as using Morrison both ways, but the individual schedule/map shows it using Metcalf going northbound. Which one is the correct one? Because if it uses Metcalf, then it's not really serving the areas west of the Bruckner (of course, that can be remedied by actually using Morrison in both directions).

EDIT:  I just checked Google Streetview, and saw a northbound bus stop sign and a northbound bus (to Foxhurst) on Morrison, so I guess it uses Morrison, then. But then how do the short-turns turn around? :wacko:

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

....Anyway, didn't somebody on here or straphangers suggest that Burke Av and 222 St have buses?

Likely cotb16...

I remember he wanted to re-route Bx30's so that they serve the Edenwald houses; it's somewhere in that bronx bus proposals thread....

No new east-west bus routes in the Bronx will work. Too many of the streets in the West Bronx reach dead ends at some point. Any new route would will a gap with little demand or just be too indirect to provide a benefit for riders.

Yeah, that's the point.....

Didn't you just say it would end at 242 St? What's this about continuing via MCP?

Because there's no where to turn buses around at the subway station itself... Lol.....

It would continue via manhattan college parkway to link with Bx10 and 7 for better connectivity.

Apparently you don't know enough about Fieldston to even suggest doing that....

hmm interesting but that is redundant to the Bx6 why?

If one wants speed to that area they can use (6) to the (4)

If Bx6 needs help just add more service. If you look closely there is a reason why I suggested what I did to link to northern points faster in a way the subway can't. Like areas served by the (2) and gets to W20/21 quicker without enduring the long (4) ride. Other possibilities include easier reach to northern parts woodlawn and maybe  riverdale if Bx7/10 is as bad as they say this route may help up there a bit.

1] You can argue redundancy, but in doing so, you're basically saying there's no need for the Bx46 to serve that part of hunts point, or in its entirety, period.... Since they're already coming out with this Bx46, they may as well integrate it into the Bx6 (instead of adding service to the current Bx6)... Can't see them getting enough ppl. coming off the (2) running down to hunts point by itself.... It makes more sense to absorb another riderbase.... I don't think the number "46" was randomly chosen either....

2] "Speed" has nothing to do with it...

3] Enough with running the Bx46 to Riverdale already.....

You could convert some Bx6s into Bx46s, so the level of service between Yankee Stadium & Longwood (or whatever that neighborhood is by Prospect Avenue) basically remains the same. The only disadvantage is that you remove some service from the residential part of Hunts Point, but the Bx6 runs frequently enough anyway.

Yes, that area around prospect, simpson, intervale on the (2) is all Longwood...

(google maps couldn't be more wrong with having hunts point = longwood)

...and exactly - it's part of the reason I suggested running Bx46's w/ the Bx6 into Manhattan.....

Even running them to YS via the Bx6 makes more sense than stopping them dead at the Prospect av (2)....

Out of curiosity (this is for everybody), how big a destination is Hunts Point (for industrial workers). Do most of the workers live in the South Bronx, or do they come from all over?

It's not big to the point where people come from all over to get to industrial hunts point (say for example, the ppl. that ride from all over the island to get to SI mall).... I'd say most the ppl. that ride out to industrial hunts point are from the more western portion of the bronx (which includes south bronx).....

Likely cotb16...

I remember he wanted to re-route Bx30's so that they serve the Edenwald houses; it's somewhere in that bronx bus proposals thread....

It was a few members. Myself, Threxx, etc

We were trying to think of a way to get a route straight across 222nd, and you suggested a possible way would be to send the Bx8 across Gun Hill-White Plains-222nd, and terminate around Edenwald. (Doesn't go straight across, but it serves the area we're concerned about)

It's not big to the point where people come from all over to get to industrial hunts point (say for example, the ppl. that ride from all over the island to get to SI mall).... I'd say most the ppl. that ride out to industrial hunts point are from the more western portion of the bronx (which includes south bronx).....

Cool, thanks.

Out of curiosity, how crowded are Bx6s in Hunts Point? And what would be the split between riders going to the residential section vs. the industrial section?

It was a few members. Myself, Threxx, etc

We were trying to think of a way to get a route straight across 222nd, and you suggested a possible way would be to send the Bx8 across Gun Hill-White Plains-222nd, and terminate around Edenwald. (Doesn't go straight across, but it serves the area we're concerned about)

Cool, thanks.

Out of curiosity, how crowded are Bx6s in Hunts Point? And what would be the split between riders going to the residential section vs. the industrial section?

1- Alright, cool....

Now that you mention it, I remember that thread.... But I also remember cotb16 trying to serve 222nd also....

2- I'll put it this way... Out of whatever riders that are on Bx6's at and south of the (6), you'll find that there are more ppl. that get off short of spofford/halleck, than those that ride it past that point (meaning, along the loop around the food centers).... guess I'll say 60/40 tops.... But it's not 50/50 industrial hunts point seekers to residential hunts point seekers, if that's what you're wondering.....

As for how crowded they are.. well depending on time of day, Bx6's can get at least 10-15 ppl. boarding at the 1st stop alone (ryawa/halleck) - that's due to the fact that the Bx6 is uni-directional down there, so folks gotta walk along food ctr dr. over to ryawa/halleck for buses back north/west ... I have seen buses get SRO before it even hits hunts point (6) [which is where turnover begins btw] from the south.... The terminal in hunts point isn't one of these terminals where hardly anyone gets on/off at.... For areas due west of the food center, people also ride the Bx6 to the last stop & walk back towards the unserved industrial portion of hunts point (some will get off before the turn onto spofford for this same reason)....

If you're trying to gauge how many ppl the 46 can take off the 6 in hunts point, I actually think it can take a considerable amt. of ppl off 6's... but again, this is if we were to run it along the Bx6 route past the (2);westchester av..... Ending at the (2) itself, I don't see the 46 taking too much of anyone off Bx6's..... Not sure if any of this answers/sheds light on your inquiry....

Likely cotb16...

Yeah, I remember. cotb wanted the Bx25 to serve Burke and the Bx30 to serve 222 St

Yeah, I remember. cotb wanted the Bx25 to serve Burke and the Bx30 to serve 222 St

I forgot about his burke av idea, but I did remember his 30 one.....

speaking of which.....

For Soundview, I would have the Bx27 run to Fordham Plaza.

Route: Rosedale Av, 174th St, Hoe/Vyse Avs, Boston Road, 182nd St, Quarry Rd, 184th St, 3rd Av

I've proposed this before. This would fill a service gap in Soundview west of White Plains Road and a crosstown one between 180th St and Fordham Road. It would serve the Bronx Zoo, the 174th Street Pathmark, Little Italy, St. Barnabas Hospital, Fordham University and St. Thomas Aquinas High School.

The route would have a slightly quicker ride to the (6) by connecting to it at St. Lawrence Av (two blocks away from Rosedale Av).

Currently, those clason's point folks take 39s to lafayette for 36's to get to some of those areas you want 27's to pan towards.... You also have as many those folks down there taking 27's all the way to the (2), and/or for buses due south/west...... Now granted the 36 doesn't go to fordham plaza, but you would have to make the 27 more conducive to taking over 36's..... as frequent as the 36 is, I'm not sure how you're gonna do that exactly..... As checkmate pointed out, you're exacerbating the commute for those folks that need/come off the (2) to get to that part of the bronx, to fill that gap you mention..... You and I both know that there's plenty folks down in that part of the bronx the 27 serves, that are tryna get to that area around west farms/southern.....

Unless you want to have everyone make their way to Bx5's ?

Well, I still don't like the idea of taking away the easy access to the (2) (which is the only route to the West Side from that part of The Bronx). I mean, I know they can stay on until East 180th, but that's still much further (especially considering the (2) is local at all times)

But now that I think about it, that might actually be a good idea for Threxx's Bx25 route. Instead of terminating at East 180th Street, it could continue down Rosedale Avenue, but then the question becomes where to terminate it. If you terminate it at the current Bx27/39 terminal, then that's probably overserving that part of Soundview (unless you were to split the Bx27 and run half to Foxhurst and half to Morris Heights). Then evenings and nights, all of them go to Morris Heights.

In general, I like threxx's 183rd st route idea over making the Bx27 more of a north-south route also.... I saw his updated change after our critiques though, and I don't know why he decided to extend it to E. 180th subway.... I thought it was better off ending at west farms subway... all he had to do was have buses turnaround using 180th > devoe > tremont to serve west farms sq/tremont av subway....

speaking of which.....

Currently, those clason's point folks take 39s to lafayette for 36's to get to some of those areas you want 27's to pan towards.... You also have as many those folks down there taking 27's all the way to the (2), and/or for buses due south/west...... Now granted the 36 doesn't go to fordham plaza, but you would have to make the 27 more conducive to taking over 36's..... as frequent as the 36 is, I'm not sure how you're gonna do that exactly..... As checkmate pointed out, you're exacerbating the commute for those folks that need/come off the (2) to get to that part of the bronx, to fill that gap you mention..... You and I both know that there's plenty folks down in that part of the bronx the 27 serves, that are tryna get to that area around west farms/southern.....

In general, I like threxx's 183rd st route idea over making the Bx27 more of a north-south route also.... I saw his updated change after our critiques though, and I don't know why he decided to extend it to E. 180th subway.... I thought it was better off ending at west farms subway... all he had to do was have buses turnaround using 180th > devoe > tremont to serve west farms sq/tremont av subway....

not gonna lie I liked threxx's idea too.

Also, there's the Bx22 in Parkchester for Clasons Point riders seeking Fordham Plaza.

Nice try. Yeah, it's easy to lie now and say "Oh, I was just joking around. I didn't really bleach my skin". I don't know about you, but this doesn't sound particularly sarcastic.

Oh and you'll be glad to know that I'm seeing a dermatologist to have some work done on my skin to even it out. You commented about me being so dark lol and yes I am darker than what I was when I was younger. Years ago I went to a dermatologist to have him explain why my skin was so uneven (my hands and arms are much lighter than my face, and that is my actual skin color overall, but parts of my face are a bit darker and uneven) and he said that it was from years of sun damage and dry skin, which makes sense because I used to tan out in the sun and didn't wear sunscreen so I guess over the years my skin got f*cked up as a result, so now I bought this product that should help my skin to become even again and back to its normal lighter state. :cool: I should start seeing some results in about 3 weeks from the time that I start using it.

Don't worry.... I'm not trying to pull a Michael Jackson. I just want my normal skin tone back! lol :P

Keep in mind that my PM was talking about the YMCA and express bus detours, and had absolutely nothing to do with your skin color. In that PM, I didn't ask anything about your skin tone. (I asked that question on the open forums, and it was in no way offensive. See here) So no, you can cut this whole BS about "I replied in a seperate PM", because that was much later (over a year), so cut the crap.

And boy, you're really trying to save face there, aren't you? Yes, you said you were Guest18, but that was after we applied the pressure. We asked very specific questions to smoke you out. Sure, you would've given up the act eventually, but I doubt you would've done it as quickly without that plan.

Let's not twist things around. I don't go around looking for ways to call people racist just because of whatever.

And yeah, you did try to avoid it, whether you want to admit it or not.

And no, this PM happened in this past summer, when you were living in The Bronx. Unless the seasons suddenly got all switched up, that's not even close to a year.

LOL... What a joke... The product that I bought to restore my uneven skin tone was an exfoliator to get rid of dead (darkened) skin from sun damage and to help repair the skin in the affected areas, not some skin bleaching product.  It's actually quite common for people that go out tanning or have uneven skin tones and plenty of people buy exfoliators (of all skin tones), to keep their skin tones even which was what the dermatologist recommended, so like I said I never bleached my skin. People don't tan to get lighter skin genius. LOL  The beginning of that PM is sarcastic when I said that you would be glad to know about it since you expressed such concern about why I was so dark, and not just in that thread either, so you can clip snipets of the convo. all you want.  I know what was stated and why in that other PM I wrote what I wrote because you didn't come off the same way that you did in that thread.  Meanwhile you went around calling me a skin bleacher when you had no proof of such because you've got it alllll figured out. LOL

You are simply uber sensitive and thin skinned and dense to boot.   

speaking of which.....

A good chunk of those Soundview riders use the (2) to reach the (4) to travel into the Western Bronx. I rerouted the Bx27 to Fordham in order to allow for more intra-Bronx trips without the use of the subway.

As for the Bx36, the Bx27 heading to 174th St would enable the Bx36 to be rerouted via Cross Bronx, Rosedale and East 180th St, avoiding delays and connecting riders to the express East 180th St (2)(5) station.

It would continue via manhattan college parkway to link with Bx10 and 7 for better connectivity.

What a ridiculous idea... Fieldston is a private community.  They don't want or need buses there.  The current buses work just fine because there is really no where else to run buses there without them meandering endlessly.  If anything some Bx10s could be extended, but even then that would probably just make the route worse with more bunching, so you would have only certain runs extended.

What a ridiculous idea... Fieldston is a private community.  They don't want or need buses there.  The current buses work just fine because there is really no where else to run buses there without them meandering endlessly.  If anything some Bx10s could be extended, but even then that would probably just make the route worse with more bunching, so you would have only certain runs extended.

For the Bx10, I would just restructure it east of Lehman College where it takes many turns, especially at the Gun Hill/Bainbridge intersection.

For the Bx10, I would just restructure it east of Lehman College where it takes many turns, especially at the Gun Hill/Bainbridge intersection.

That I would agree with.  I looked at the map and it does meander a ton.  Is that what causes it to bunch so much?? I'm trying to figure out because not only does it run poorly, but so does the Bx20 when I see them and there is no traffic along Riverdale Ave or Henry Hudson Parkway that I know of.  Speaking of crosstown routes, I was in the Bronx yesterday (in Morris Park, had a fantastic time walking around the area) and noticed how frequent the Bx21 seems to run.  Seems to get pretty good usage.  I'm not sure if that's a crosstown route or what but what is it's primary function? I got the impression while on the BxM10 that that bus (the express bus) must be a feeder for the Montefiore workers because the bus I was on yesterday back to the city was kind of crowded considering the time.  

----

@B35... Since people are so damn thick skinned around here I'll try to be more "politically correct", though quite frankly I don't think it'll matter.  I'll just pretend that hooligans, thugs, ghettos types and other crime elements don't exist.  

That I would agree with.  I looked at the map and it does meander a ton.  Is that what causes it to bunch so much?? I'm trying to figure out because not only does it run poorly, but so does the Bx20 when I see them and there is no traffic along Riverdale Ave or Henry Hudson Parkway that I know of.  Speaking of crosstown routes, I was in the Bronx yesterday (in Morris Park, had a fantastic time walking around the area) and noticed how frequent the Bx21 seems to run.  Seems to get pretty good usage.  I'm not sure if that's a crosstown route or what but what is it's primary function? I got the impression while on the BxM10 that that bus (the express bus) must be a feeder for the Montefiore workers because the bus I was on yesterday back to the city was kind of crowded considering the time.  

----

@B35... Since people are so damn thick skinned around here I'll try to be more "politically correct", though quite frankly I don't think it'll matter.  I'll just pretend that hooligans, thugs, ghettos types and other crime elements don't exist.  

The Bx21 has several functions:

1. Crosstown in Morris Park/Van Nest, connects neighborhood residents to (2)(5), serves the hospitals, Westchester Square (connecting to Throggs Neck buses) and Hutchinson Metro Center.

2. Becomes a north-south route on Boston Road and 3rd Avenue. It serves hilly areas east of 3rd Avenue and connects riders to the (2)(5) at both 174th St and 3rd Av/149th St and to the (6) at 3rd Av/138th St.

As for the Bx10, it bunches thanks to turning at two delay-prone intersections:

-Gun Hill Road and Bainbridge Avenue

-Gun Hill Road and Jerome Avenue

If it was up to me, I would send the Bx10 to Woodlawn.

Route: Sedgwick Av, Mosholu Pkwy, Paul Avenue, Bedford Park Blvd, Bainbridge Av, Jerome Av, 233rd St, Katonah Av

The route would have the following benefits:

-eliminates those turns at delay-and-accident-prone intersections

-with Goulden Avenue being frequently closed due to construction for the Water Filtration Plant, it would find a permanent place at Paul Avenue, which allows the Bx10 to serve Clinton High School and Tracey Towers (and a semi-connection to the (4) at Mosholu Parkway)

-with the Bx10 running on Bainbridge north of Bedford Park Blvd, it could replace the Bx34 (just in case the MTA decides to eliminate it again)

-speaking of Woodlawn, this route would connect it to the many senior centers in Riverdale. In addition, Riverdale and Woodlawn are usually in the same political districts (with district offices usually in the more-populated Riverdale).

-provides a quicker ride to the (B)(D) at Bedford Park Blvd instead of Norwood, providing an alternative to the (4) for Van Cortlandt Village riders

Which is why the Bx20 was reduced to rush hour, but I'd restore off peak service not weekend service

The Bx21 has several functions:

1. Crosstown in Morris Park/Van Nest, connects neighborhood residents to (2)(5), serves the hospitals, Westchester Square (connecting to Throggs Neck buses) and Hutchinson Metro Center.

2. Becomes a north-south route on Boston Road and 3rd Avenue. It serves hilly areas east of 3rd Avenue and connects riders to the (2)(5) at both 174th St and 3rd Av/149th St and to the (6) at 3rd Av/138th St.

As for the Bx10, it bunches thanks to turning at two delay-prone intersections:

-Gun Hill Road and Bainbridge Avenue

-Gun Hill Road and Jerome Avenue

If it was up to me, I would send the Bx10 to Woodlawn.

Route: Sedgwick Av, Mosholu Pkwy, Paul Avenue, Bedford Park Blvd, Bainbridge Av, Jerome Av, 233rd St, Katonah Av

The route would have the following benefits:

-eliminates those turns at delay-and-accident-prone intersections

-with Goulden Avenue being frequently closed due to construction for the Water Filtration Plant, it would find a permanent place at Paul Avenue, which allows the Bx10 to serve Clinton High School and Tracey Towers (and a semi-connection to the (4) at Mosholu Parkway)

-with the Bx10 running on Bainbridge north of Bedford Park Blvd, it could replace the Bx34 (just in case the MTA decides to eliminate it again)

-speaking of Woodlawn, this route would connect it to the many senior centers in Riverdale. In addition, Riverdale and Woodlawn are usually in the same political districts (with district offices usually in the more-populated Riverdale).

-provides a quicker ride to the (B)(D) at Bedford Park Blvd instead of Norwood, providing an alternative to the (4) for Van Cortlandt Village riders

Re: Bx21... I see...

Re: Bx10... You're right in that both Riverdale and Woodlawn are connected, particularly Northern Riverdale with the Irish population, but I don't see the senior centers being a draw on the route (aside from those nurses that come up to Riverdale from Norwood I suppose to work) and I don't see Riverdalians or folks from Woodlawn riding back and forth between the neighborhoods, but if it helped with the bunching problem it could be a better route.  Not sure that the folks in Woodlawn would want to give up their Bx34 though.

Which is why the Bx20 was reduced to rush hour, but I'd restore off peak service not weekend service

Yeah but even during rush hour it seems to run like crap and I've never understood why since it only goes from 207th st to 246th street and traffic along Broadway generally is only problematic after 207th street.

If you're trying to gauge how many ppl the 46 can take off the 6 in hunts point, I actually think it can take a considerable amt. of ppl off 6's... but again, this is if we were to run it along the Bx6 route past the (2);westchester av..... Ending at the (2) itself, I don't see the 46 taking too much of anyone off Bx6's..... Not sure if any of this answers/sheds light on your inquiry....

Alright, I gotcha.

LOL... What a joke... The product that I bought to restore my uneven skin tone was an exfoliator to get rid of dead (darkened) skin from sun damage and to help repair the skin in the affected areas, not some skin bleaching product.  It's actually quite common for people that go out tanning or have uneven skin tones and plenty of people buy exfoliators (of all skin tones), to keep their skin tones even which was what the dermatologist recommended, so like I said I never bleached my skin. People don't tan to get lighter skin genius. LOL  The beginning of that PM is sarcastic when I said that you would be glad to know about it since you expressed such concern about why I was so dark, and not just in that thread either, so you can clip snipets of the convo. all you want.  I know what was stated and why in that other PM I wrote what I wrote because you didn't come off the same way that you did in that thread.  Meanwhile you went around calling me a skin bleacher when you had no proof of such because you've got it alllll figured out. LOL

You are simply uber sensitive and thin skinned and dense to boot.   

Nice try. I have the PM saved, and it mentions absolutely nothing about skin tone, so no, I didn't "express any concern". You "know what was stated" the same way you "know what was stated" at the meeting with the transcript, right?

And no, that wasn't "meanwhile". I only realized it after that PM about the Bx15 thread, and then it all came together. You want to call me dense, go ahead. Of course, a racist isn't going to admit that they're racist. Just ask JQP. LOL.

Historically, the M100 went between East Harlem and Riverdale until 1989. The Bx20 was formed and the M100 was cut back to Inwood. Probably due to NIMBY's. correct me if I'm wrong

Nah, it was because it was unreliable. You had a route going to Riverdale having to deal with traffic on 125th Street, not to mention the other parts of Manhattan it served.

Re: Bx21... I see...

Re: Bx10... You're right in that both Riverdale and Woodlawn are connected, particularly Northern Riverdale with the Irish population, but I don't see the senior centers being a draw on the route (aside from those nurses that come up to Riverdale from Norwood I suppose to work) and I don't see Riverdalians or folks from Woodlawn riding back and forth between the neighborhoods, but if it helped with the bunching problem it could be a better route.  Not sure that the folks in Woodlawn would want to give up their Bx34 though.

Yeah but even during rush hour it seems to run like crap and I've never understood why since it only goes from 207th st to 246th street and traffic along Broadway generally is only problematic after 207th street.

The only reason why Woodlawn doesn't want to give up their Bx34 is the connection to the (4) and (D) trains. My Bx10 would do just that and serve more neighborhoods, like Bedford Park, Van Cortlandt Village, Kingsbridge and Riverdale.

Archived