Crosstown Bronx routes

Via Garibaldi 8

I have to go to an event in Morris Park soon and my colleague thought it would be fairly easy to get from Riverdale to the Bronx.  I had already planned on just taking the express bus to the city and then getting the BxM10 since I've never been to the Bronx before outside of Morris Park and that's a route that I know and have used before, but then I looked at the map to see if I could actually make that trip via the local bus from Riverdale and it seemed impossible and would require several transfers.  The "easiest" way would seem to be taking the Bx7 in Riverdale and going to Inwood in Manhattan, taking the Bx12SBS and then transferring for the Bx8 or the Bx10 to the Bx28 to the Bx8. I've always joked about Riverdale being worlds away from the Bronx, but boy I guess there's some truth to this after all.  :lol:

I'm just wondering why the Bronx has such terrible options when it comes to crosstown routes?  The ones that seem to go crosstown all seem to meander about... Unlike Riverdale which is isolated by the hills and has no street grid, the Bronx from my understanding has an actual street grid, so what gives?? 

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How are you judging the terribleness of Bronx crosstown service?? The routing is pretty good for the most part. The Bx11, 35 and 36 seem to meander a bit but the street grid in that part of the Bronx is severed by the Cross Bronx.

You do realize that while routes like the Bx11, Bx35, Bx36 are crosstown routes, they are just Crosstown within the South Bronx or just portions of the Bronx and not end to end.

Others:

West Bronx (More of a perfect Crosstown):

Bx6 (West and Central Bronx)

Bx9 (Running on West/East Kingsbridge Rd & E. Fordham Rd [Not Perfect])

Bx10 (Somewhat, with going North and South [Not Perfect])

Bx11  (Bx35 (South Bronx only)

Bx19 (South Bronx only)

Bx21 (Somewhat Crosstown but in a diagonal form [Not Perfect])

Bx22 (Kingsbridge / Fordham [Not Perfect])

Bx33 (Port Morris)

Bx36 (West and Central Bronx [similar to the Bx6])

Central and East Bronx:

Bx5

Bx16

Bx26

Bx28 / Bx30 / Bx38 (Gun Hill)

Q44 (West Farms to Throgs Neck)

End to End:

Bx4/4A (While not directly hitting ends, its still goes Crosstown from The Hub to the Square)

Bx12

Bx40/42 (Makes that turn around Maclay Ave, which E. Tremont Ave goes Southeast to Throgs Necl)

I have to go to an event in Morris Park soon and my colleague thought it would be fairly easy to get from Riverdale to the Bronx. I had already planned on just taking the express bus to the city and then getting the BxM10 since I've never been to the Bronx before outside of Morris Park and that's a route that I know and have used before, but then I looked at the map to see if I could actually make that trip via the local bus from Riverdale and it seemed impossible and would require several transfers. The "easiest" way would seem to be taking the Bx7 in Riverdale and going to Inwood in Manhattan, taking the Bx12SBS and then transferring for the Bx8 or the Bx10 to the Bx28 to the Bx8. I've always joked about Riverdale being worlds away from the Bronx, but boy I guess there's some truth to this after all. :lol:

I'm just wondering why the Bronx has such terrible options when it comes to crosstown routes? The ones that seem to go crosstown all seem to meander about... Unlike Riverdale which is isolated by the hills and has no street grid, the Bronx from my understanding has an actual street grid, so what gives??

For your question. Yeah the Bronx and Manhattan do share street numbering, some alignment along West Bronx, etc. The rest of it (Central/East Bronx) are not properly aligned. This is why the Crosstown routes has an odd routing for most of them.

Its like how the "West" and "East" is divided. Jerome Avenue (like 5th Ave) is the divider.

For getting to Morris Park, its all on you. Frankly its like saying how to get from City Island to Port Morris, with 3 transfers. Your best answer is just utilizing the Bx7 to the Bx12 for the Bx8. Heh if I were at Riverdale going Morris Park, I wouldn't even need the Bx8, already use to walking a lot. Just take the Bx7 to the Bx12, and I'd be good.

BTW you could also use the Bx30/Bx38 which also share parts of the route with the Bx28. You'd get and empty ride at start with the Bx30/Bx38 starting at Norwood, unlike the Bx28 starting in Fordham (except late nights, which ends at Norwood).

You do realize that while routes like the Bx11, Bx35, Bx36 are crosstown routes, they are just Crosstown within the South Bronx or just portions of the Bronx and not end to end.

Others:

West Bronx (More of a perfect Crosstown):

Bx6 (West and Central Bronx)

Bx9 (Running on West/East Kingsbridge Rd & E. Fordham Rd [Not Perfect])

Bx10 (Somewhat, with going North and South [Not Perfect])

Bx11  (Bx35 (South Bronx only)

Bx19 (South Bronx only)

Bx21 (Somewhat Crosstown but in a diagonal form [Not Perfect])

Bx22 (Kingsbridge / Fordham [Not Perfect])

Bx33 (Port Morris)

Bx36 (West and Central Bronx [similar to the Bx6])

Central and East Bronx:

Bx5

Bx16

Bx26

Bx28 / Bx30 / Bx38 (Gun Hill)

Q44 (West Farms to Throgs Neck)

End to End:

Bx4/4A (While not directly hitting ends, its still goes Crosstown from The Hub to the Square)

Bx12

Bx40/42 (Makes that turn around Maclay Ave, which E. Tremont Ave goes Southeast to Throgs Necl)

For your question. Yeah the Bronx and Manhattan do share street numbering, some alignment along West Bronx, etc. The rest of it (Central/East Bronx) are not properly aligned. This is why the Crosstown routes has an odd routing for most of them.

Its like how the "West" and "East" is divided. Jerome Avenue (like 5th Ave) is the divider.

For getting to Morris Park, its all on you. Frankly its like saying how to get from City Island to Port Morris, with 3 transfers. Your best answer is just utilizing the Bx7 to the Bx12 for the Bx8. Heh if I were at Riverdale going Morris Park, I wouldn't even need the Bx8, already use to walking a lot. Just take the Bx7 to the Bx12, and I'd be good.

BTW you could also use the Bx30/Bx38 which also share parts of the route with the Bx28. You'd get and empty ride at start with the Bx30/Bx38 starting at Norwood, unlike the Bx28 starting in Fordham (except late nights, which ends at Norwood).

Yeah but how long of a commute would it be with the Bx7 to the Bx12 plus the walk near Morris Park Avenue and say Williamsbridge Rd? Hell I could easily just take the express bus (BxM1 or BxM18 down to the city and then take the BxM10 out with one transfer and far less walking and it would probably only take an hour or a little more if things were coordinated right).  

What point of this thread? We already know the answer here. VG8 will backtrack to Manhattan and then back to avoid the so called "riff riff" of the crosstown Bronx.

FYI. I been on the BX9/Q44 combo when I am not in hurray travelfanning mainly from LI/Queens to connect to Metro North at Marble North and never had problems. Though at school days you might encounter some of the kids on the BX9 from the nearby high schools like JFK.

Knowing that you'll likely just use express routes, are you looking for the best way using local routes?

I'm not sure how close in proximity you are to Broadway and the Bx9, but it must be close, especially if you reside near An Beal Bocht Café. I'd recommend taking the Bx9 over to West Farms Square, then jumping on the Bx21 to take you along Morris Park Ave. Only two transfers needed and you can save a good 20-30 minutes (if you time it right) in comparison to using the express routes.

I already know how things may turn out. But whatever, just dropping a line for everyone in general....

Yeah but how long of a commute would it be with the Bx7 to the Bx12 plus the walk near Morris Park Avenue and say Williamsbridge Rd? Hell I could easily just take the express bus (BxM1 or BxM18 down to the city and then take the BxM10 out with one transfer and far less walking and it would probably only take an hour or a little more if things were coordinated right).

It all depends on what time of day your going. I'm going based on Midday and Weekday. Rush hour varies all the time.

The Bx7 starting around 246th St / Pkway Service Rd to 207th should be about 20min

The Bx12 SBS should take about 20-25min to get to Williamsbridge Road. Depends on the traffic as well, since its usually heated between Bainbridge Ave and Bathgate Ave (Also between Belmont and White Plains Rd due to Fordham/US1 road work in the Bronx Park). But the heat is mainly Rush Hour.

The walk, depends on how fast you walk. Should take about 10-15min. Me I can make it in 5 to 10min.

While there is also the Express bus, you still got to deal with higher headways, unlike the Local. But its what ever flavor you prefer.

If you want to take the local routes, take the 9 to Webster Ave, then take the 22 or 12. You can also take the 7 into Manhattan, then get the 12 there.

How do you know if he lives near the Bx9? Riverdale is within a hill, while the Bx9 is in the bottom of it near Van Cortlandt.

The only crosstown highway is a parking lot Unless Bx16 is streamlined I don't see how a local bus would beat express bus for such a trip.

Knowing that you'll likely just use express routes, are you looking for the best way using local routes?

I'm not sure how close in proximity you are to Broadway and the Bx9, but it must be close, especially if you reside near An Beal Bocht Café. I'd recommend taking the Bx9 over to West Farms Square, then jumping on the Bx21 to take you along Morris Park Ave. Only two transfers needed and you can save a good 20-30 minutes (if you time it right) in comparison to using the express routes.

LOL... I am no where near Broadway (downstairs Riverdale) so the Bx9 would not help.  Without giving away my exact location for certain weirdos ( <_<), I am much closer to the Henry Hudson Parkway these days (East?/West? :D), not too far from Wave Hill, so the Bx7 and/or Bx10 would be the logical choice. As for my location, that changes based on mood. I'm like Waldo... All over the place... It's nice to highlight great spots in the neighborhood, whether I go to them or not. I obviously will be using the express bus, but the point of the thread (to answer Don Shortline  <_<) is why the crosstown routes in the Bronx are so non-existent and meander?  I never realized what a pain it must be to go crosstown in the Bronx if you're not near the Bx12, which would explain why it's so packed.

LOL... I am no where near Broadway (downstairs Riverdale) so the Bx9 would not help. Without giving away my exact location for certain weirdos ( <_<), I am much closer to the Henry Hudson Parkway these days (East?/West? :D), not too far from Wave Hill, so the Bx7 and/or Bx10 would be the logical choice. As for my location, that changes based on mood. I'm like Waldo... All over the place... It's nice to highlight great spots in the neighborhood, whether I go to them or not. I obviously will be using the express bus, but the point of the thread (to answer Don Shortline <_<) is why the crosstown routes in the Bronx are so non-existent and meander? I never realized what a pain it must be to go crosstown in the Bronx if you're not near the Bx12, which would explain why it's so packed.

Funny this would have been an easy fix with that bx27 extension via bronx river parkway to riverdale via (1) The routing I can send to you and later in a new thread that explains it better. It links most subway lines in the bronx.

Funny this would have been an easy fix with that bx27 extension via bronx river parkway to riverdale via (1) The routing I can send to you and later in a new thread that explains it better. It links most subway lines in the bronx.

lol... Well there is nothing to link here because there is no subway in Riverdale. The (1) ENDS where Riverdale starts.

Population density of the bronx is more concentrated on the portion of the borough west of the bronx river....

I mean, consider the neighborhoods that are on the SE part of the bronx (throgs neck, edgewater park, schuylerville, locust pt., country club/spencer estates.... Also, considering how much of a time waste the GWB buses are in manhattan, the demand is there -So to extend those buses further east for the sake of increasing borough-wide coverage would be detrimental to all the ppl. taking buses in the western part of manhattan..... The indirectness of streets in the western part of the bronx doesn't help matters either....

Furthermore why does the Bx27 need to go to Riverdale??

It uses bronx river to pelham parkway linking to bx12SBS & (2) then via allerton and mosholu parkway linking to several other lines then (4) towards sedgwick to the (1) then manhattan college parkway to riverdale via riverdale ave. Connectivity however other routes may be able to do the same thing.

It uses bronx river to pelham parkway linking to bx12SBS & (2) then via allerton and mosholu parkway linking to several other lines then (4) towards sedgwick to the (1) then manhattan college parkway to riverdale via riverdale ave. Connectivity however other routes may be able to do the same thing.

That's way too long. Who would benefit from this??

The Bx7 + Bx12SBS + Bx8 (or Bx31) looks like a good choice and will certainly be faster than the BxM1 + BxM10 combo.  You'd need to go all the way down to 86th Street in Manhattan, wait for potentially up to 30 minutes, and then take the BxM10 back up.  You have to be crazy if you would do that.

This is why I don't understand how people in the outerboroughs live without cars.  No doubt that the Bronx crosstown bus network is garbage, but you can't complain since you knew exactly what you were getting into when you moved all the way up into isolated Riverdale.  What would take you less than half an hour with a car is going to end up taking you over an hour with the local bus, and since you'll probably be too stubborn to deal with the "riff raff" on the local bus, the express bus will take you at least an hour and a half, maybe even more.

And enough of this Riverdale bs, you live in the Bronx, period.  As high and mighty as you may think living in Riverdale makes you, nobody cares.

LOL... I am no where near Broadway (downstairs Riverdale) so the Bx9 would not help.  Without giving away my exact location for certain weirdos ( <_<), I am much closer to the Henry Hudson Parkway these days (East?/West? :D), not too far from Wave Hill, so the Bx7 and/or Bx10 would be the logical choice. As for my location, that changes based on mood. I'm like Waldo... All over the place... It's nice to highlight great spots in the neighborhood, whether I go to them or not. I obviously will be using the express bus, but the point of the thread (to answer Don Shortline  <_<) is why the crosstown routes in the Bronx are so non-existent and meander?  I never realized what a pain it must be to go crosstown in the Bronx if you're not near the Bx12, which would explain why it's so packed.

Yeah, you're one to talk about being a weirdo. Like I said, the perfect example of somebody who projects their feelings onto others.

In any case, there's stairs by 238th & Waldo.

Furthermore why does the Bx27 need to go to Riverdale??

Not to mention that by going up the Bronx River Parkway, you're taking away the easy connection from Clasons Point/Soundview to the (2). (Taking the Bx39 is more roundabout)

You have to be crazy if you would do that.

Hey, back when he lived on Staten Island, he would avoid the lines with Blacks & Hispanics (because as we all know, he's a racist). It's the same deal here.

This is the same guy who suggested taking the X1 to the X27 to go to Bay Ridge instead of just taking the S79 directly there. The express bus is the solution to everything, remember? :rolleyes:

Yeah, you're one to talk about being a weirdo. Like I said, the perfect example of somebody who projects their feelings onto others.

In any case, there's stairs by 238th & Waldo.

Not to mention that by going up the Bronx River Parkway, you're taking away the easy connection from Clasons Point/Soundview to the (2). (Taking the Bx39 is more roundabout)

Hey, back when he lived on Staten Island, he would avoid the lines with Blacks & Hispanics (because as we all know, he's a racist). It's the same deal here.

This is the same guy who suggested taking the X1 to the X27 to go to Bay Ridge instead of just taking the S79 directly there. The express bus is the solution to everything, remember? :rolleyes:

That connection to the (2) is replaced by extended Bx35 trips to soundview morrison (6). The connection can still be made at pelham parkway. This speeds up intra bronx travel considerably. LOL @ X1 to X27 seriously no sane person would do that!!! Must of been strong shit.

That's way too long. Who would benefit from this??

Dude it will take a long time to explain it. I will after getting off my phone.

I say take a bus down to the bx9. take that to west farms sq then hop on the bx21. Even if you don't have an unlimited, it still comes out cheaper than the express bus and will not have you leaving the bronx when your destination is in the same boro. Its simple logic.

As far as the concept of the Bx27 extention, being someone who grew up in bruckner-sounveiw (by the bronx river opposite of hunts point), I can tell you, there's pretty much no one who would need such a route. period. That idea is just an idea to extend a route just because. It won't even look good on paper. There's zero demand for it. Never has been. The Bronx doesn't work like that when it comes to routing demand. The routes there serves their purpose.

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook using Tapatalk

Archived