Dogs in the subway

JubaionBx12+SBS

While I understand some people may find discomfort in having a dog in the same train car as them, if its a small dog in a carrier or if its a well trained dog thats quiet and sits still, I see no problem is letting it on board.

lol... The problem is people treat dogs better than humans these days and they view them as actual humans, so they think they should be able to take them anywhere and everywhere.  It's the sense of self-entitlement that I have to chuckle at.  I have a neighbor that has two dogs and I swear... She spends more time with those damn dogs than she does with actual humans.  Every time I'm out somewhere, she is walking with those dogs (and having heated conversations with them too mind you).  :huh: I'm actually surprised that I don't see more of them in the subways.

lol... The problem is people treat dogs better than humans these days and they view them as actual humans, so they think they should be able to take them anywhere and everywhere.  It's the sense of self-entitlement that I have to chuckle at.  I have a neighbor that has two dogs and I swear... She spends more time with those damn dogs than she does with actual humans.  Every time I'm out somewhere, she is walking with those dogs (and having heated conversations with them too mind you).  :huh: I'm actually surprised that I don't see more of them in the subways.

When I was out of state I had a neighbor who had an apparent obsession with cats. She used to pretty much talk to them while on the other hand in an introverted way avoid people as much as possible. I counted about 20 stray cats she must have adopted in her backyard, could actually be more because I stopped counting at 20. Never used to clean behind them mind you....  A strange stench used to emanate from her front door. On top of that she used to hang magical charms all over the place on her front porch. And you say you have strange neighbors....

When I was out of state I had a neighbor who had an apparent obsession with cats. She used to pretty much talk to them while on the other hand in an introverted way avoid people as much as possible. I counted about 20 stray cats she must have adopted in her backyard, could actually be more because I stopped counting at 20. Never used to clean behind them mind you....  A strange stench used to emanate from her front door. On top of that she used to hang magical charms all over the place on her front porch. And you say you have strange neighbors....

lol... Don't get me wrong, a family member of mine had a dog that I would play with all of the time growing up, but dogs are NOT humans and folks need to learn this.  They have a place in society and they don't belong everywhere.  Here and there I've seen guide dogs (even once on an express bus I believe) but outside of that they really shouldn't be out and about on buses or subways.  I think another lady brought a dog on an express bus but he was so small that she basically hid him and he was quiet, but nevertheless small or not they shouldn't be on the subways and all over the place.  Keep them home.  I esp. don't like the idea of them sitting all over the place when they're walking all around and such.  It's already bad enough with the bums and their filth.

lol... Don't get me wrong, a family member of mine had a dog that I would play with all of the time growing up, but dogs are NOT humans and folks need to learn this.  They have a place in society and they don't belong everywhere.  Here and there I've seen guide dogs (even once on an express bus I believe) but outside of that they really shouldn't be out and about on buses or subways.  I think another lady brought a dog on an express bus but he was so small that she basically hid him and he was quiet, but nevertheless small or not they shouldn't be on the subways and all over the place.  Keep them home.  I esp. don't like the idea of them sitting all over the place when they're walking all around and such.  It's already bad enough with the bums and their filth.

You don't have pets, do you?

For all you anti-pet people... what if you need to take your pet to the vet and taking a car isn't possible/convenient?

And can someone point me to where it says that pets are not allowed on the subway? Toronto allows it, as long as it's not during the rush hour, so I am doubtful that New York would ban such an action.

Just curious as to any policy regarding dogs in the subway. I saw an uncaged canine on the (5) recently and it was rather large. It's so unusual to see dogs in the subway, I would like to know if they're allowed on or not.

Straight from the horses mouth:

Can I bring my pet on MTA buses or subways?
Published 12/28/2011 02:15 PM   |    Updated 01/03/2012 09:25 AM
Can I bring my pet on MTA buses or subways?
Small domestic pets are permitted on the subway and on buses of New York City Transit and MTA Bus only when they are carried in kennels or similar containers that can by accommodated by you on your lap without annoyance to other passengers. Service animals properly harnessed and accompanying people with disabilities are always welcome in MTA's network.

You don't have pets, do you?

Why should that matter? I had relatives and friends that have pets and I grew up with a dog and no one allows their pets all over the place either.  My stance still stands and apparently the (MTA) agrees with me. If they're not service dogs or they aren't properly caged or harnessed then they shouldn't be in the system.  I just hope people aren't bringing dangerous dogs like pit bulls or rottweilers into the system. I'm wondering what type of dog Jubai saw the other day for him to bring up the topic... 

For all you anti-pet people... what if you need to take your pet to the vet and taking a car isn't possible/convenient?

And can someone point me to where it says that pets are not allowed on the subway? Toronto allows it, as long as it's not during the rush hour, so I am doubtful that New York would ban such an action.

Public transit is for people first, not animals.  As is stated by the (MTA), they shouldn't become an annoyance to other passengers and some people have absolutely no control over their dogs.  They just bark incessantly and do whatever.  My neighbor is a perfect example.  Now I tolerate her mutts barking constantly every time someone is in the hallway.  I have no problem with people having pets but train your friggin' dogs!  If passengers don't notice them on the subway then obviously they shouldn't be a problem.

Again: The rules do permit animals on the subway, provided that you abide by the good ol rules o' conduct:

1050.9 (H)  (I)  No  person  may  bring  any  animal  on  or  into  any  conveyance  or  facility  unless 
enclosed  in a container  and carried  in a manner which  would  not annoy  other  passengers. 

So if you can get your pet in a carrier, bring it along. If the carrier is too big, then I suppose you have to take a cab, a car, or walk. It's not a matter of being anti pet, it's a matter of making sure customers are serviced. 

Again: The rules do permit animals on the subway, provided that you abide by the good ol rules o' conduct:

1050.9 (H)  (I)  No  person  may  bring  any  animal  on  or  into  any  conveyance  or  facility  unless 
enclosed  in a container  and carried  in a manner which  would  not annoy  other  passengers. 

So if you can get your pet in a carrier, bring it along. If the carrier is too big, then I suppose you have to take a cab, a car, or walk. It's not a matter of being anti pet, it's a matter of making sure customers are serviced. 

Exactly... It's not like the dogs are paying to ride, we are and that's who should be serviced first. I tell ya, it's just like I said before.  We care more about animals than we do human beings. 

Both my neighbors have loud and obnoxious dogs, so I'm no stranger to inconsiderate dog owners. If they are trained, quiet and not wandering around the train car then they shouldn't be a problem.

As for the idea of caged vs uncaged animals.. besides large dogs, do people carry around uncaged animals in public? Never witnessed it.

Both my neighbors have loud and obnoxious dogs, so I'm no stranger to inconsiderate dog owners. If they are trained, quiet and not wandering around the train car then they shouldn't be a problem.

As for the idea of caged vs uncaged animals.. besides large dogs, do people carry around uncaged animals in public? Never witnessed it.

Yeah they do all the time in the city and not on leashes at that.  Why do you think there have been people outraged about folks being mauled by dogs??

lol, chances are, those dogs are probably cleaner than the bums on the trains. At least if the owner 'treats it like a human', it has probably had its baths. 

On the topic of dogs on the subway/bus, I've seen women carry a small dog in their purses. All I'll say is if the dog stays in there, fine. Honestly with the amount of screeching and other loud noises, it's kinda abuse subjecting the dog it. the largest dog I've seen is a labrador as a service dog, other times it's the NYPD german shepherd k9s.

As a dog person I don't mind someone bringing one on as long as the dog doesn't make a mess in the train/bus. Not worth the hassle to argue why the dogs should be in the cage. That's the cop's job.

Archived